Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,935

Re: If the Kings get the #1 pick... 

Post#21 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:52 pm

If the Kings get the #1 pick, they draft Griffin. Period.

There should be a PG left by the time the Houston pick rolls around. Like BBIB said, this is an insanely deep PG class (By my count, 7 pure PGs and 4 combo guards with legit 1st round potential). There ought to be a guy like Flynn, Maynor, Mills or Collison left when the Kings pick again. Or they could trade Thompson for a guy like Conley. They've got enough options that they should definitely go BPA at #1.
hard49
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#22 » by hard49 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:56 pm

gswhoops wrote:If the Kings get the #1 pick, they draft Griffin. Period.

There should be a PG left by the time the Houston pick rolls around. Like BBIB said, this is an insanely deep PG class (By my count, 7 pure PGs and 4 combo guards with legit 1st round potential). There ought to be a guy like Flynn, Maynor, Mills or Collison left when the Kings pick again. Or they could trade Thompson for a guy like Conley. They've got enough options that they should definitely go BPA at #1.

Exactly. Jason Thompson or Spencer Hawes would make high level backups. It is not like they need to build the team all in one offseason.. You can get your PG next season.
trk
Junior
And1: 0

Post#23 » by trk » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:46 am

_BBIB_ wrote:Again Lebron James is the elite level 250+ pound athlete at the SF position. Dwight Howard is that elite level athlete at the C position for a guy his size. That is what Blake Griffin could be at the PF position. Elton Brand is the only PF that is listed as bigger than him right now at 254 and who knows what Griffin may weigh at the pre-draft camp. And for a guy of his size again he could be matchless at his position in terms of size/strength/athleticism combo in the same way that Lebron and Howard are at their respective positions.

There are lots of PFs listed at above 250 lbs. Kevin Love, Zach Randolph, Jason Maxiel, and Tim Duncan are all listed at 260. DJ White 251, KG 253, Nick Collison 255, Brian Skinner 255, Etan Thomas 256, Kenny Thomas 261, Al Jefferson 265, Sean May 266, Carlos Boozer 266, Joey Dorsey 268, Glen Davis 289. There are also lots of PFs listed at exactly 250 or within a couple pounds of it. 250 for a power forward isn't rare at all, it is barely above average.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,211
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#24 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:00 am

SpeedyG wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I don't think Griffin is the type of player that you should throw out all other options for. He's not that great now, and his upside isn't so massive as to pass up any and all opportunities.

You believe Rubio is?

Of course not, but he's good enough that you weigh your options and consider what you can get, what you have, etc.

I do think Rubio has more special qualities that would give him huge advantages at the PG spot, but he also has more flaws he has to fix.

Point is, Griffin isn't some stone cold lock superstar that makes you just throw out the evaluation process and take him.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#25 » by ponder276 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:32 am

The Kings are not talented enough to draft for need - when you suck, you take the BPA, and worry about chemistry/trades later. So they'd take whoever they feel is the BPA - that's probably Griffin, but possibly Rubio. Griffin is the unanimous 1st overall pick right now, but his stock could take a hit if he measures out poorly in the combine, and if Rubio has great workouts, he might be able to pass Griffin in the King's eyes. The Kings are certainly not afraid to go against the grain (i.e. with the Jason Thompson pick). Basically, if they feel Rubio is better than Griffin, they'll take him regardless of what anyone else thinks, and vice-versa.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:51 pm

As they should...

I feel there is going to be so much pressure for the number 1 team to take Griffin, they may crumble and just take him, even if they feel another guy might be better down the road.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
enuggz
Starter
And1: 5

Post#27 » by enuggz » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Kings will take Griffin whether they want him or not. It's like Orlando taking Chris Webber in 1993, they knew they wanted Penny and probably could have made that pick but if you can get the guy you want an extra you take the guy everyone wants and work it out later.
Bac2Basics wrote:*Documentary Voice*
The lockout affected them all a little differently, a couple of them went completely stark raving nuts.
Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#28 » by Smills91 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:24 pm

gswhoops wrote:If the Kings get the #1 pick, they draft Griffin. Period.

Thank you. Now can you please go articulate this post to my fellow Kings fans that swear Rubio is the ONLY answer.
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#29 » by Rise Against » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:42 am

It would be dumb for Sacramento to not take Griffin, if they were to have 1st pick..
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#30 » by richboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:42 pm

_BBIB_ wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:I don't think Griffin is the type of player that you should throw out all other options for. He's not that great now, and his upside isn't so massive as to pass up any and all opportunities.

How can people continue to say this? The guy is an elite level athlete for a guy his size. He has that freak of nature athleticism for a guy his size. Lebron is the beast of players that big at the SF position, Dwight Howard at the Center, and that's the way Blake Griffin could be at the PF position.

For a guy carrying 250+ pounds of weight he should not be as explosive an athlete as he is. He also has a great work ethic and BBIQ. He's absolutely worth building a team around.

In fact if anything it should be said that a Spencer Hawes and company are not worth keeping and passing on Blake Griffin.

Josh Smith is the most athletic PF. What has that got him. Besides rebounding what does Blake do better than Josh Smith.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:58 pm

richboy wrote:Josh Smith is the most athletic PF. What has that got him. Besides rebounding what does Blake do better than Josh Smith.

That's a ridiculous comparison. Griffin is a much better post scorer and rebounder. He has a much higher BBall IQ. He's a true PF, Smith is a hybrid F.

If anything, the pro Griffin most reminds me of is Amare.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#32 » by Smills91 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:05 pm

gswhoops wrote:
richboy wrote:Josh Smith is the most athletic PF. What has that got him. Besides rebounding what does Blake do better than Josh Smith.

That's a ridiculous comparison. Griffin is a much better post scorer and rebounder. He has a much higher BBall IQ. He's a true PF, Smith is a hybrid F.

Amare with REBOUNDING prowess and some desire to play a little defense. As Amare is a horrid rebounder/defender for his god given physical talents.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,276

Post#33 » by UGA Hayes » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:04 pm

If you are good enough that you are consider clear top 3 material, than in the absence of a LBJ you should be hypthetically good enough to be a number one pick.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by gswhoops » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:59 pm

UGA Hayes wrote:If you are good enough that you are consider clear top 3 material, than in the absence of a LBJ you should be hypthetically good enough to be a number one pick.

So, since Hasheem Thabeet is the consensus #3 prospect, taking him #1 would be fine?
chriswebb86
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#35 » by chriswebb86 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:04 pm

If I am the Kings and I get the 1st pick, I look to move down to number two while getting something good. I honestly do not think the Blake will be a superstar. I think he has the chance to be a good player, but I think Ricky has the chance to be a game changer and a great player. While I understand that you draft the best player there, I do not think Blake changes the Kings much at all. At this current moment they need a pg and they need one bad. If we could get someone like Manyor or Holiday at 23 then I might be ok with taking Blake.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Smills91 wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Amare with REBOUNDING prowess and some desire to play a little defense. As Amare is a horrid rebounder/defender for his god given physical talents.

Except Blake isn't as explosive, and he doesn't have any real perimeter skills to speak of.

And no, dribbling by guys in college does not count as refined ball handling.
Smills91
Banned User

Post#37 » by Smills91 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Smills91 wrote:
gswhoops wrote:That's a ridiculous comparison. Griffin is a much better post scorer and rebounder. He has a much higher BBall IQ. He's a true PF, Smith is a hybrid F.

Except Blake isn't as explosive, and he doesn't have any real perimeter skills to speak of.

And no, dribbling by guys in college does not count as refined ball handling.

Whaaaaaatt????????? The guy has the ability to dribble the ball up the court, shoot from 15-18 feet(with the ability to extend that range in time) and has excellent passing skills. I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you here.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#38 » by richboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:23 pm

Smills91 wrote:
gswhoops wrote:

Blake doesn't play defense right now. Players score on him easy. He doesn't block many shots.

gswhoops wrote:

That is because your thinking everything that Griffin does will translate to the pros. Perhaps it does. However for most prospects it doesn't. Josh Smith is going up against NBA post players. Griffin is going up against college stiffs. What basis do you have that Griffin is a much better post player than Josh Smith. If Josh Smith was in college he look like Tim Duncan in the post right now. Josh Smith probably average way more points even right now than Griffin.

People a year ago said Michael Beasley had a great post game. I said a year ago that the only players that do heavy damage in the post in the NBA are those that are heavenly skilled or have size and length advantages. Beasley didn't have it and that is why most of his game is more perimeter oriented than when he was in college. Blake has perhaps equal size and what could be less length. Far less skill in the post. How is he dominating in the post then.

I think I said Blake was a better rebounder. Although Josh has shown 10 times more defensive skill than Griffin. Give Griffin the advantage in IQ. Although Josh is a good passer and has a pretty good floor game. Both have no consistent jump shot. Griffin has a better shot to develop a shot. Really though I don't see what Blake does so much better than Josh besides rebound. Which I think is fine because that would say 18 and 10 player.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,431

Post#39 » by TheNewEra » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:33 am

I still don't get why the Kings wouldn't take Rubio in taking Griffin you will still suck without a legit PG. Only way and I mean this is only way this at the least makes any sense if the Kings tank another season hope John Wall is a stud in college and comes out his rookie year and becomes the next Rose or something. This draft is very deep in PG's but none of them have ability that Rubio can fill for that franchise. I'm not even a huge Rubio fan but the guy makes 100x more sense.

To the poster said the Kings suck so they can't draft on need. They will continue to suck until they get what they NEED in the first place.lol Grab Rubio and try to see if you can upgrade at SF or add depth to the rest of your roster with rest of the picks and draft. Kings can't afford to just pick-up another PG they need get the best available.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#40 » by TheOGJabroni » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:33 pm

The thing is, I can see these Amare comparisons but really, before the injuries, Amare absolutely dominated TD in the playoffs a few years back. To say, Blake will be that good and will be an even better rebounder seems a little far-fetched to me.

Return to NBA Draft