2023 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

jezzerinho
Veteran
And1: 1,708

Re: 2023 NBA Draft 

Post#2201 » by jezzerinho » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:30 am

CoreyVillains wrote:Just dropped the latest two film sessions I filmed with a couple of potential second round prospects.

Ricky is in my top 25. That kid is legit. Shot will come around, if it hasnt already in the off-season and he's just too smart, fluid, skilled, athletic, two-handed and disciplined to fail.
Big J
RealGM
And1: 7,579

Post#2202 » by Big J » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:11 pm

HiDef wrote:Final top 10-
1. Wemby
2. Scoot Henderson
3. Mouhammed Gueye
4. Keyonte George
5. Amen Thompson
6. Cam Whitmore
7. Kobe Bufkin
8. Dereck Lively
9. Bilal Coulibaly
10. GG Jackson

Like Clyde said, **** trying to evaluate the Thompson twins.

Last player I had to get away from was Taylor Hendricks. Just a bit suspicious about his shot and his ability to contribute in the halfcourt.

Gueye is my guy. Future all-star and a next-level positionless freak.

Love that you didn’t just go chalk. When you look at how actual drafts pan out it looks a lot more like your list than most chalk big boards.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#2203 » by SeattleJazzFan » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:30 pm

final big board prior to the draft

1. VW
2. B Miller
3. Scoot
4. L Miller
5. Cam Whitmore
6. Jarace Walker
7. Cason Wallace
8. Anthony Black
9. Taylor Hendricks
10. Keyonte George
11. Ausar Thompson
12. Amen Thompson
13. Jordan Hawkins
14. Kobe Bufkin
15. Grady Dick
16. JHS
17. Kris Murray
18. Bilal Coulibaly
19. Dariq Whitehead
20. NSJ
21. Derek Lively
22. Podz
23. Sidy
24. Colby Jones
25. Amari Bailey
26. Ben Sheppard
27. Rupert
28. Sensabaugh
29. TJD
30. Clowney
31. Jett Howard
32. Marcus Sasser
33. Tristan Vukcevic
34. Keyontae Johnson
35. GG Jackson
36. Jaime Jaquez
37. James Nnaji
38. Seth Lundy
39. Kobe Brown
40. OMP
GSWFan1994
General Manager
And1: 15,833

Post#2204 » by GSWFan1994 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:00 pm

Just saw this posted on the Warriors board by my friend Devin Vassell. All credits to him. :clap:

Sam Vecenie's 180 pages draft guide.

It's a really comprehensive, well done piece of work.

Leaving the post/link here for those who want to study more about this draft.

The direct link to the .pdf file is here.

DevinVassell wrote:Terrific, indepth article "Top 100 NBA Draft prospects for 2023: Tiers, final rankings and Big Board" from Sam Vecenie.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/4606741/2023/06/14/nba-draft-2023-top-100-prospects-guide/%3famp=1

Please don't read if you are already a self proclaimed wannabe draft stormtrooping expert or are extremely worried about not thinking for yourself.

Password: Dr@ft2023
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 29,127

Post#2205 » by azcatz11 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:20 pm

Big J wrote:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot Henderson
3. Mouhammed Gueye
4. Keyonte George
5. Amen Thompson
6. Cam Whitmore
7. Kobe Bufkin
8. Dereck Lively
9. Bilal Coulibaly
10. GG Jackson

Last player I had to get away from was Taylor Hendricks. Just a bit suspicious about his shot and his ability to contribute in the halfcourt.

Love that you didn’t just go chalk. When you look at how actual drafts pan out it looks a lot more like your list than most chalk big boards.

Just curious but did you release your big board or is that not allowed given your position?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,415

Post#2206 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:07 pm

I will drop a full loto board at some point before the draft. But right now my top 10 is

1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Black
4. Hendricks
5. Cam
6. Thompson twin #1
7. Thompson twin #2
(Ive been vocal about not liking the OTE comp/style of play at all. But I do think these guys are freakish athletes and have a hell of an athletic profile. If I was sitting at 6 or 7 I would take either one just based off of athletic profile alone. Just like how I was very high on Kuminga for the same reason. Truly freakish athletic profiles).
8. George
9. Walker
10. Bilal (mostly highlights but I like the athletic profile a lot).

I like to make little adjustments to my boards each year. Ive been pretty vocal about no longer including the raw athletic big men in my top 10s. So that is why there is no Lively. And the other thing Im doing is no longer putting up a prospect highish on my board just because of a consensus out there on him, even if I really dislike his game (looking back at guys like Culver who I was never high on at all, but I still put him like top 5 on my boards because of the high consensus for him).

Im off on the Miller train, finally went back on the old DVR and started to watch his games full. Im not sold he can be a consistent player in the NBA. I think he is going to struggle getting his shot off against NBA wings. Throw in his lack of athleticism and not a standout defender or facilitator. Ya I wouldnt spend a top 10 pick on him. I would spend a top 10 pick on a guy like Bilal over Miller, or at least trade down to get a guy like Bilal at 10, instead of spending a top 3-4 pick on Miller.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,470

Post#2207 » by CptCrunch » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:48 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I will drop a full loto board at some point before the draft. But right now my top 10 is

1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Black
4. Hendricks
5. Cam
6. Thompson twin #1
7. Thompson twin #2
(Ive been vocal about not liking the OTE comp/style of play at all. But I do think these guys are freakish athletes and have a hell of an athletic profile. If I was sitting at 6 or 7 I would take either one just based off of athletic profile alone. Just like how I was very high on Kuminga for the same reason. Truly freakish athletic profiles).
8. George
9. Walker

I like to make little adjustments to my boards each year. Ive been pretty vocal about no longer including the raw athletic big men in my top 10s. So that is why there is no Lively. And the other thing Im doing is no longer putting up a prospect highish on my board just because of a consensus out there on him, even if I really dislike his game (looking back at guys like Culver who I was never high on at all, but I still put him like top 5 on my boards because of the high consensus for him).

Im off on the Miller train, finally went back on the old DVR and started to watch his games full. Im not sold he can be a consistent player in the NBA. I think he is going to struggle getting his shot off against NBA wings. Throw in his lack of athleticism and not a standout defender or facilitator. Ya I wouldnt spend a top 10 pick on him. I would spend a top 10 pick on a guy like Bilal over Miller, or at least trade down to get a guy like Bilal at 10, instead of spending a top 3-4 pick on Miller.

It's a bold take on Miller. And recall that KOC is the only who first championed the Miller agenda. And now ESPN is running some kind of interference for Miller over Scoot to drive views

You are right so if you don't fantasize about Miller becoming some Danny Granger/Paul George clone, then he offers little. Average athelete, +1 year aged, maybe an average defender, signifcant decrease in performance in the second half season. Don't mind me posting this OC showing how declined Miller's shooting was near the end of the season, give credence to the possibility that his mid-season shooting was some hot mirage.

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#2208 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:11 am

CptCrunch wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I will drop a full loto board at some point before the draft. But right now my top 10 is

1. Wemby
2. Scoot
3. Black
4. Hendricks
5. Cam
6. Thompson twin #1
7. Thompson twin #2
8. George
9. Walker

It's a bold take on Miller. And recall that KOC is the only who first championed the Miller agenda. And now ESPN is running some kind of interference for Miller over Scoot to drive views

You are right so if you don't fantasize about Miller becoming some Danny Granger/Paul George clone, then he offers little. Average athelete, +1 year aged, maybe an average defender, signifcant decrease in performance in the second half season. Don't mind me posting this OC showing how declined Miller's shooting was near the end of the season, give credence to the possibility that his mid-season shooting was some hot mirage.

Ya there was a time I was pretty high on Miller, even a time where I was saying I was considering him at #2. But that was when I watched only a few games and most of them he was really good and I was no doubt buying the cool-aid on him. But ya about midway through the season I added Bama to my DVR and Ive finally gotten around to scrolling through and watching his games.

And ya I just wasnt that impressed with him. And I started to see him struggle to get clean looks for his jumper consistently. And I just didnt see an overall game from him. And I started to think, what's his role going to be in the NBA and what happens if he cant get his shot off against the high level athletes in the NBA. Can he adjust his game and turn into like a Ingram midrange assassin who is able to use his length and high level skill set to get him consistent good looks even though BI lacks the high level athleticism. He could but I dont know if I want to bet on that.

And Ill probably get dragged on this one a little. But he kind of reminds me of Louis King. Miller is a little taller, but similar length and build and similar athleticism and shooting ability. No doubt Miller had the higher highs in college. Dont get me wrong, not saying I think Miller should go undrafted.

But ya if I took away all the outside hype for him. Honestly I would probably have him as a late 1st pick. Again there is something there to draft him with, because of his size and shot. 6'9 who shot 38% from 3 and 86% from the line and has a solid handle. No doubt there is something there to draft him with. But ya Im just not sold he consistently gets his shot off against NBA players on the ball.
Big J
RealGM
And1: 7,579

Post#2209 » by Big J » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:26 am

azcatz11 wrote:
Big J wrote:
1. Wemby
2. Scoot Henderson
3. Mouhammed Gueye
4. Keyonte George
5. Amen Thompson
6. Cam Whitmore
7. Kobe Bufkin
8. Dereck Lively
9. Bilal Coulibaly
10. GG Jackson

Just curious but did you release your big board or is that not allowed given your position?

Nah man, lists are for amateurs.
GSWFan1994
General Manager

Post#2210 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:18 am

I'm not posting a big board or a mock this year as well. Too busy with work and other stuff.

However, I'd like to say a couple of things:

1. This draft seems really weak. Besides Wemby and Scoot, no other player has caught my eye. Of course some of those guys will develop over time and surprise us, but as of now, I don't see high end potential with the majority of the guys mocked in the lottery range. This might be the year I barely cared about following/studying/researching about the draft (as a whole, not only the top prospects) since I started following the NBA back in 1991.

2. Cam Whitmore seems to me like the one player with the higher probability of being a bust IMO. Besides his height which doesn't look to be 6'7'' (I know, we've had this discussion before...), like Mathurin before him, I see a wing who's very poor in passing and playmaking. This will limit his ceiling. A player with fantastic physical tools, good slasher skills and so so shooting, but with basically nothing else to offer... I don't know, he has to improve a lot to be able to contribute regularly to a winning team. I always say that if you want to be an elite wing in this league, you'd need to have above average ballhandling, passing and playmaking. The other aspects, the vast majority of the guys have in this level of competition. I understand that comes over time. I just think Whitmore is strongly behind his age range in this aspect. So I don't know, I'm really not impressed by what I've seen from him.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 15,241

Post#2211 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:22 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I'm not posting a big board or a mock this year as well. Too busy with work and other stuff.

1. This draft seems really weak. Besides Wemby and Scoot, no other player has caught my eye. Of course some of those guys will develop over time and surprise us, but as of now, I don't see high end potential with the majority of the guys mocked in the lottery range. This might be the year I barely cared about following/studying/researching about the draft (as a whole, not only the top prospects) since I started following the NBA back in 1991.

2. Cam Whitmore seems to me like the one player with the higher probability of being a bust IMO. Besides his height which doesn't look to be 6'7'' (I know, we've had this discussion before...), like Mathurin before him, I see a wing who's very poor in passing and playmaking. This will limit his ceiling. A player with fantastic physical tools, good slasher skills and so so shooting, but with basically nothing else to offer... I don't know, he has to improve a lot to be able to contribute regularly to a winning team. I always say that if you want to be an elite wing in this league, you'd need to have above average ballhandling, passing and playmaking. The other aspects, the vast majority of the guys have in this level of competition. I understand that comes over time. I just think Whitmore is strongly behind his age range in this aspect. So I don't know, I'm really not impressed by what I've seen from him.

Whitmore also has small hands. He could easily be another Justise Winslow. Some teams might wanna take a guy like Jordan Walsh, even though his ceiling is way lower, his floor is better.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
GSWFan1994
General Manager

Post#2212 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:45 am

Chuck Everett wrote:Whitmore also has small hands. He could easily be another Justise Winslow. Some teams might wanna take a guy like Jordan Walsh, even though his ceiling is way lower, his floor is better.

Winslow at least fooled at lot of people coming in from college because he shot 42% on 3s (along with 64% FT, which obviously was a red flag and translated to the NBA)...

... and was a legit 6'7'' guy who defended reasonably well and could even defend lots of 4s in the NBA.

Whitmore has had none of that (34% 3s, 70% FT). Ok, he was injured and improved throughout the college season, but still...

Plus, Whitmore had 19 assists in 709 minutes.

Is that a historically low number for wings picked in the lottery? How's the success rate for players in this scenario?
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Post#2213 » by BostonCouchGM » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:51 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:I'm not posting a big board or a mock this year as well. Too busy with work and other stuff.

uh oh, you're going to ruffle some feathers. I agree, Cam barely looks 6'5". He had a very disappointing season considering the hype entering the season. He could be closer to Okoro than Brown and that's why he can't be high lottery imho.
GSWFan1994
General Manager

Post#2214 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:09 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:uh oh, you're going to ruffle some feathers. I agree, Cam barely looks 6'5". He had a very disappointing season considering the hype entering the season. He could be closer to Okoro than Brown and that's why he can't be high lottery imho.

Yes, the Okoro comp is valid and fits very well... Okoro has been really underwhelming so far. He barely improved so far.

He averages a 9.7 PER in 3 seasons in the NBA. Single digit PER for a former 5th pick. Can we label him a bust yet?

Now look at that: if you go to Okoro's page in College BBallRef, he's listed at 6'6''. Link.

But if you go to his NBA's page on BBallRef, he's listed at 6'5''. Link.

How about that? Which one should we trust? I'd rather trust my eyes, sir. Same thing with Whitmore, Mathurin and countless others.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#2215 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:32 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:uh oh, you're going to ruffle some feathers. I agree, Cam barely looks 6'5". He had a very disappointing season considering the hype entering the season. He could be closer to Okoro than Brown and that's why he can't be high lottery imho.

Yes, the Okoro comp is valid and fits very well... Okoro has been really underwhelming so far. He barely improved so far.

He averages a 9.7 PER in 3 seasons in the NBA. Single digit PER for a former 5th pick. Can we label him a bust yet?

Now look at that: if you go to Okoro's page in College BBallRef, he's listed at 6'6''. Link.

But if you go to his NBA's page on BBallRef, he's listed at 6'5''. Link.

How about that? Which one should we trust? I'd rather trust my eyes, sir. Same thing with Whitmore, Mathurin and countless others.

We dont need to guess Whitmore's height though. He's 6'5.75" barefoot. That was done at the combine, that is as official as a measurement as we can get.

I also dont think Okoro is a bad comp, but just because he didnt workout doesnt mean all guys with similar comps dont work out. Miles Bridges is a very similar physical comp and skill comp at the same age. Bridges was a 20/7 guy on +3% TS% before he was an idiot off the court.

I dont think he has the same passing skills as Bridges at the same age, but I think he is a quicker and faster athlete and has the better handles than Bridges at the same age. I also think he is the better defender than Bridges at the same age.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,643

Post#2216 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:49 am

people comping Whitmore to Okoro like Okoro was a 2nd rounder or something...Okoro went 5th overall in his class (which he shouldn't have, I had him 12th iirc).

Whitmore is just in a different tier as an athlete compared to Okoro, also projects as a better shooter...these two things alone make him a much more valuable proposition than what Okoro was who was pushed up his class because it was a weak draft (same with Patrick Williams who also shouldn't have gone anywhere near the top 5).
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#2217 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:58 am

clyde21 wrote:people comping Whitmore to Okoro like Okoro was a 2nd rounder or something...Okoro went 5th overall in his class (which he shouldn't have, I had him 12th iirc).

Whitmore is just in a different tier as an athlete compared to Okoro, also projects as a better shooter...these two things alone make him a much more valuable proposition than what Okoro was who was pushed up his class because it was a weak draft (same with Patrick Williams who also shouldn't have gone anywhere near the top 5).

I agree Whitemore is the better athlete (he's quicker and faster for sure). I get the comp because theyre both similar height and strong athletes.

My biggest pushback is, just because Okoro hasnt progressed doesnt mean those kind of archetypes shouldnt be viewed high. That would be like saying, hey Patrick Williams hasnt progressed, Im going to stay away from the strong athletic 2 way 6'8 forwards. Ya you can say he was taken too high because he wasnt proven enough in college, but overall it doesnt make his archetype a bad archetype. Just that certain player just didnt progress in the NBA. And those guys couldve been on the lower end of that archetype but got taken higher because of teams reaching or just a bad draft.

A big strong athletic guard/wing that has shown legit 2 way potential and doesnt have a broken shot is always going to be an archetype that teams are going to like.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,190

Post#2218 » by The Moose » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:34 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:Whitmore also has small hands. He could easily be another Justise Winslow. Some teams might wanna take a guy like Jordan Walsh, even though his ceiling is way lower, his floor is better.

Winslow at least fooled at lot of people coming in from college because he shot 42% on 3s (along with 64% FT, which obviously was a red flag and translated to the NBA)...

... and was a legit 6'7'' guy who defended reasonably well and could even defend lots of 4s in the NBA.

Whitmore has had none of that (34% 3s, 70% FT). Ok, he was injured and improved throughout the college season, but still...

Plus, Whitmore had 19 assists in 709 minutes.

Is that a historically low number for wings picked in the lottery? How's the success rate for players in this scenario?

Shabazz Muhammad and Hacimura were lower, but thats it basically.

But re: Okoro, I think it depends on how much you buy Whitmore's 3pt shooting, which is probably his biggest difference from Okoro coming into the draft. Well that and as Clyde said, Whitmore is another level up as an athlete. Whitmore had close to double the dunk rate Okoro did, and was much more in line with an athlete like Miles Bridges.

Okoro was a low volume 3pt shooter who shot 28%, and Whitmore was a high volume 3pt shooter at 34%. If Cam's college 3pt shooting is an illusion then it might be rough for him, but I think he'll be at least average there.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 24,552

Post#2219 » by 76ciology » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:11 pm

My final mock, ranked not based on how I think the draft will go BUT ranked on how good they’ll be in the league

06/18/23

1 Wembayama (once in a lifetime prospect)
2 Brandon Miller (likely star wing)
3 Brice Sensabaugh (superb 3 level scorer)
4 Scoot (likely star guard but cant shoot)
5 Brandin Podziemski (tyler herro to jalen brunson upside)
6 Taylor Hendricks (borderline star scorer with defense)
7 Kobe Bufkin (playmaking and shooting upside)
8 Jarace Walker (reminds me of Jerami Grant)
9 Bilal Coulilbaly (versatile wing who can shoot and play defense; could be higher if i got more sample size)
10 Jordan Hawkins (borderline star off ball scorer) defender potential.
11 Cam Whitmore (good foundation on offense with multi position .7apg is a redflag tho)
12 Gradey Dick (reliable 3&d with high IQ)
13 Amen Thompson (im not a fan of poor shooter)
14 Ausar Thompason (im not a fan of poor shooter)
15 Marcus Sasser (high production guard on both ends)
16 Leonard Miller (2 way forward)
17 Jaime Jacquez (versatile guard on both ends)
18 Keyonte George (scorer but inefficient)
19 Jett Howard (scorer + size)
20 Cason Wallace (not a fan of non scoring guards)
21 Dereck Lively (upside as a starting big)
22 Noah Clowney (upside as a starting PF)
23 Trayce (reminds me of John Collins)
24 Kobe Brown (shooting + upside as multi position defender)
25 Adama Sagono (reminds me of big Al)
26 Kris Murray (productive)
27 Terquavion Smith (i like his style of play but he needs to clean up his efficiency)
28 Anthony Black (not a fan, i dont like poor shooters or non scoring guard. I think he’s a forward masks as a guard)
29 Colby Jones (productive role playing backup guard)
30 Nick Smith Jr (upside)
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
BoyzNTheHood
Head Coach
And1: 6,023

Post#2220 » by BoyzNTheHood » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:16 pm

76ciology wrote:My final mock, ranked not based on how I think the draft will go BUT ranked on how good they’ll be in the league

06/18/23

1 Wembayama (once in a lifetime prospect)
2 Brandon Miller (likely star wing)
3 Brice Sensabaugh (superb 3 level scorer)
4 Scoot (likely star guard but cant shoot)
5 Brandin Podziemski (tyler herro to jalen brunson upside)
6 Taylor Hendricks (borderline star scorer with defense)
7 Kobe Bufkin (playmaking and shooting upside)
8 Jarace Walker (reminds me of Jerami Grant)
9 Bilal Coulilbaly (versatile wing who can shoot and play defense; could be higher if i got more sample size)
10 Jordan Hawkins (borderline star off ball scorer) defender potential.
11 Cam Whitmore (good foundation on offense with multi position .7apg is a redflag tho)
12 Gradey Dick (reliable 3&d with high IQ)
13 Amen Thompson (im not a fan of poor shooter)
14 Ausar Thompason (im not a fan of poor shooter)
15 Marcus Sasser (high production guard on both ends)
16 Leonard Miller (2 way forward)
17 Jaime Jacquez (versatile guard on both ends)
18 Keyonte George (scorer but inefficient)
19 Jett Howard (scorer + size)
20 Cason Wallace (not a fan of non scoring guards)
21 Trayce (reminds me of John Collins)
22 Kobe Brown (shooting + upside as multi position defender)
23 Adama Sagono (reminds me of big Al)
24 Kris Murray (twin of Keegan and he’s also productive)
25 Dereck Lively (upside as a starting big)
26 Noah Clowney (upside as a starting PF)
27 Terquavion Smith (i like his style of play but he needs to clean up his efficiency)
28 Anthony Black (not a fan, i dont like poor shooters or non scoring guard. I think he’s a forward masks as a guard)
29 Colby Jones (productive role playing backup guard)
30 Nick Smith Jr (upside)

I can get with a lot of your mock, like the Thompson twins being overrated, while guys like Podz, Sasser, and TJD are underrated. But to have Sensabaugh that high when he’s allergic to defense and passing is off to me. Also, Anthony Black that low is blasphemous. He should be top 8 at worst.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.

Return to NBA Draft