Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,346

Re: Luka Doncic Part III 

Post#3161 » by Archx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:12 am

daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:
I hope that after you see how very wrong you are about Doncic, that you can get over this "NCAA is better than EuroLeague" and "no foreign guards can play" shtick. The Mavs got the best player in the draft by far, having just the 5th pick, and you are complaining....

Hopefully most Mavs fans actually realize what they got, and are happy about it.

Almost all do.

Look at the pic in your video capture Mirotic, does this guy look like a professional athlete? I know I may have an irrational take, but you do too when it comes to how good Euroleague is. there's no way a guy with this athleticism (or lack thereof) will dominate at the NBA level. Again, i don't think he'll be a bum, but if you can get an Embiid/Gobert type, you take him over a Turkaglu/Livingston any day. And keep a pick

And of course we'll complain, because Dal stupidly took another PG in the 2nd round. I don't blame Luka, I blame the FO

You have a valid point. But still, it's puzzling how you are only concerned about his athleticism. Isn't it worrying that you would pick someone else who was incredibly athletic but had a brick in his head instead of brain? You know very well that every rookie gets stronger and works harder after first year. Just give him some time and maybe even defensively he won't be as bad as you think :P
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,130

Post#3162 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:17 am

Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Almost all do.

Look at the pic in your video capture Mirotic, does this guy look like a professional athlete? I know I may have an irrational take, but you do too when it comes to how good Euroleague is. there's no way a guy with this athleticism (or lack thereof) will dominate at the NBA level. Again, i don't think he'll be a bum, but if you can get an Embiid/Gobert type, you take him over a Turkaglu/Livingston any day. And keep a pick

And of course we'll complain, because Dal stupidly took another PG in the 2nd round. I don't blame Luka, I blame the FO

You have a valid point. But still, it's puzzling how you are only concerned about his athleticism. Isn't it worrying that you would pick someone else who was incredibly athletic but had a brick in his head instead of brain? You know very well that every rookie gets stronger and works harder after first year. Just give him some time and maybe even defensively he won't be as bad as you think :P

Oh i can see that point. my thing is sicne Dallas came intot he league, they've never had a dominating center, at all. They had the chance here with Bamba avilable at 5, while also being able to keep their pick, that would have been the wise choice.

I actually like Luka more after seeing his interviews, he seems humble for a guy that's had that much success at such a young age. But Cuban is a fool, and will now chase Demarcus Cousins in his battle to prove his is bigger than anyone else's so he can sign the big name FA. And Cousins is not a guy I'd want around DSJ or Luka, not to mention with Luka and DSJ's passing, a rim protecting/rim running big makes far more sense
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 849

Post#3163 » by juanc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:24 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Oh i can see that point. my thing is sicne Dallas came intot he league, they've never had a dominating center, at all. They had the chance here with Bamba avilable at 5, while also being able to keep their pick, that would have been the wise choice.

I actually like Luka more after seeing his interviews, he seems humble for a guy that's had that much success at such a young age. But Cuban is a fool, and will now chase Demarcus Cousins in his battle to prove his is bigger than anyone else's so he can sign the big name FA. And Cousins is not a guy I'd want around DSJ or Luka, not to mention with Luka and DSJ's passing, a rim protecting/rim running big makes far more sense

Look at Hayward's college tape and tell me if he was really a better athlete than Luka?

And I need to ask you a question. Who do you think is a good fit for Luka from the Mav's roster?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,346

Post#3164 » by Archx » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:25 am

daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Yeah i was kinda hoping for Cousins but after some thinking i realized that i don't even like his personality let alone his playstyle. I think Cuban was just searching for someone to be face of the franchise after Dirk goes. He probably wasn't convinced with DSJ or he simply thinks DSJ needs some big help with creating offense. Have no clue how they will plan out their strategy but at least it will be fun to watch.
Dallas is still 1 or 2 great players away from playoffs and not to mention, DSJ and Luka both have to develop so.... it will take time, but for starters i just hope he can translate his game to NBA levels. He is a proven winner, he wants to win.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#3165 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:27 am

juanc wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
Archx wrote:

Look at Hayward's college tape and tell me if he was really a better athlete than Luka?

And I need to ask you a question. Who do you think is a good fit for Luka from the Mav's roster?

I'm not sure I understand your question, do you mean which players would fit nice with him? If so, I think Barnes would benefit the most, Dirk would fit, but let's not forget he's 40. My big issue is I dont see the fit with Smith jr, who the Mavs should be building around. neither guy can play defense, and both need the ball to be most effective. I know we saw it work in Houston, but they had a different coach, different styles, and surrounded the guys with 3 point shooters and a rim runner/protector in the middle, Dallas does not have much of that.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,217

Post#3166 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:15 pm

His athleticism I fine, and he's bigger than a PG. I agree on Cousins, bit Dallas just had it's first great draft in ages. He's such a better player than DSJ it's not close.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#3167 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm

bondom34 wrote:His athleticism I fine, and he's bigger than a PG. I agree on Cousins, bit Dallas just had it's first great draft in ages. He's such a better player than DSJ it's not close.

I hope you are right, and hope he can play SG, because the last thing I want to see besides getting Cousins, in Matthews still in the starting line-up and Barnes playing PF.

At least I know we'll both agree, matthews sucks!!
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#3168 » by BlueSan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:23 pm

arkuo wrote:
BlueSan wrote:Shake Milton dont get that one

Traded to the Sixers for #56 and #60

I saw for Kostas. Now I get it very good draft night by Dallas

Brunson imo will be like a Fred VV for Toronto
Kostas is a good gamble as a late second round
And Doncic? Well you are betting everything on him arent you?
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#3169 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't understand the fascination with DSJ, he's just another inefficient chucker who makes a couple freakishly athletic plays per game and everyone goes crazy. His efficiency isn't just bad, it's absolutely HORRENDOUS. Even vs. college competition it wasn't anything special.

People always naively expect that since a player is young, his decision making is going to miraculously get better, but that basically NEVER happens drastically, there are only some minor improvements.

In a way he's basically the opposite of Doncic, probably loved by those who hate Doncic and vice-versa.

The Mavs really should get rid of him while his value is still high.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3170 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:25 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:His athleticism I fine, and he's bigger than a PG. I agree on Cousins, bit Dallas just had it's first great draft in ages. He's such a better player than DSJ it's not close.

I hope you are right, and hope he can play SG, because the last thing I want to see besides getting Cousins, in Matthews still in the starting line-up and Barnes playing PF.

Only one more year though. I'd guess Doncic plays alongside Smith some, and he and Westbrook probably split time at the wings until they move Wes for something. Capela wpd be nice if it wasn't too much money.
DSJ
Doncic
Someone
Barnes
Capela

Is a solid start and has a bunch of potential.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#3171 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:32 pm

bondom34 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Only one more year though. I'd guess Doncic plays alongside Smith some, and he and Westbrook probably split time at the wings until they move Wes for something. Capela wpd be nice if it wasn't too much money.
DSJ
Doncic
Someone
Barnes
Capela

You want to give us Westbrook? :)
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3172 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

DSJ
Doncic
Someone
Barnes
Capela

:lol: I haven't had coffee and guess autocorrect got me!

I'm at the point now I've got like ten teams I'm a fan of, got so tired of watching OKC this year I had to step back. Still like them but I definitely have Dallas as a team I'm cheering for now too. So glad he ended up there.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#3173 » by daoneandonly » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 pm

bondom34 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Only one more year though. I'd guess Doncic plays alongside Smith some, and he and Westbrook probably split time at the wings until they move Wes for something. Capela wpd be nice if it wasn't too much money.
DSJ
Doncic
Someone
Barnes
Capela

I'm at the point now I've got like ten teams I'm a fan of, got so tired of watching OKC this year I had to step back. Still like them but I definitely have Dallas as a team I'm cheering for now too. So glad he ended up there.

I call that the Melo effect
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3174 » by bondom34 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
bondom34 wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

I call that the Melo effect

I didn't want to say it myself lol.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#3175 » by J_T » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm

SportsGuy8 wrote:I don't understand the fascination with DSJ, he's just another inefficient chucker who makes a couple freakishly athletic plays per game and everyone goes crazy. His efficiency isn't just bad, it's absolutely HORRENDOUS. Even vs. college competition it wasn't anything special.

People always naively expect that since a player is young, his decision making is going to miraculously get better, but that basically NEVER happens drastically, there are only some minor improvements.

In a way he's basically the opposite of Doncic, probably loved by those who hate Doncic and vice-versa.

You have a point, but not everyone can be basketball savant like Doncic at young age, it's almost unprecedented. I think that when it comes to efficiency, young players do have every opportunity to improve. DSJ will improve at most of the things. The reason why people like him is because for a rookie he showed a very good season and good potential.

Also, getting Doncic should in my opinion help him. It will definitely take pressure off him and his efficiency should get better.
mabundo_nagumbe
Junior
And1: 613

Post#3176 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Press conference is at 19.30 CET and will be live on Mavs Facebook page
SportsGuy8
Starter
And1: 1,050

Post#3177 » by SportsGuy8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:12 pm

J_T wrote:
SportsGuy8 wrote:I don't understand the fascination with DSJ, he's just another inefficient chucker who makes a couple freakishly athletic plays per game and everyone goes crazy. His efficiency isn't just bad, it's absolutely HORRENDOUS. Even vs. college competition it wasn't anything special.

You have a point, but not everyone can be basketball savant like Doncic at young age, it's almost unprecedented. I think that when it comes to efficiency, young players do have every opportunity to improve. DSJ will improve at most of the things. The reason why people like him is because for a rookie he showed a very good season and good potential.

Also, getting Doncic should in my opinion help him. It will definitely take pressure off him and his efficiency should get better.

I disagree, he just had a high usage rate on a terrible team. It's one thing if he had a bad TS% of like 50-52, then we could argue that there's a possibility of him one day becoming an efficient player, but his was 47! That's beyond terrible. I think his TS% was tied for 339th out of 353 qualified players! Seriously, 339th out of 353.

Even if he improves tremendously to unseen proportions, his efficiency is still only going to be around average, if that.

People keep making this exact same mistake with every single extremely athletic young PG who puts up some decent stats in his rookie season.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#3178 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 pm

I'll leave this open through summer league then it's getting locked.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 849

Post#3179 » by juanc » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Marcus wrote:I'll leave this open through summer league then it's getting locked.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :( :( :(
Where will we be able to continue our beloved Euroleague vs NCAA debate then :( :(
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#3180 » by Marcus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:31 pm

juanc wrote:
Marcus wrote:I'll leave this open through summer league then it's getting locked.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO :( :( :( :(
Where will we be able to continue our beloved Euroleague vs NCAA debate then :( :(

GB i'm sure will be filled with Doncic threads and they do an annual rookie thread on there as well. There will be ENDLESS Doncic conversation there.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY

Return to NBA Draft