Luka Doncic Part III

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

XTraderXL
Sixth Man
And1: 1,342

Re: Luka Doncic Part III 

Post#3341 » by XTraderXL » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:57 am

[quote="Mirotic12"]We can stop with all the made up untrue myths that EuroLeague players don't work out, don't train, and don't have to watch their diets now. It's reported all the time, how every EuroLeague team requires such things, yet we constantly have claims in these Doncic threads that no training, no lifting weights, and no proper diet exists at all in EuroLeague....

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/trademarks/730052/how-euroleague-players-work-out-and-what-do-they-eat-during-offseason/

People really need to stop confusing proper training and diet with rampant doping.[/quote

Man, we all know how and what Luka is eating. It has been mentioned in articles that his diet is terrible. And as far as him being in the weight room.... Does his body look to you like he ever did any serious lifting? Come on. If this is his physical max or close to it like you seem to claim, Luka will be a bust in the NBA. If he doesnt come into the league significantly physically improved, he will get destroyed on defense and will have big problems scoring the ball. Passing and playmaking can only get you so far if you cant score the ball.

You think that Euroleague training is the same as NBA but thats far from the truth. I have seen how Euro players train with their teams and its laughable in most cases, especially if you compare it to how they do it in the US. Its not just a fashion statement that many players go to the US in the summer and train there instead of working out with their team coaches in Europe. Even ex-NBA players say that NBA and EL strenght and conditioning can not compare at all. NBA is just on a different level. Even college programs have better strenght and conditioning than most EL teams. You are so biased towards Euro basketball that you cant see whats right in front of you and always trying to make excuses and comparisons which are mostly totally out of base when it comes to these things.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#3342 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:35 pm

Well, I've seen interviews where European players said they went and trained at those same facilities in USA and after said they would never go back, because it was lower level training than what they have in Europe.

This whole idea that Luka is going to make some magical change to his body and athleticism simply upon being in NBA is just not based on any actual evidence or fact. It's just some idea people have, without there being anything objective behind it.
juanc
Pro Prospect
And1: 852

Post#3343 » by juanc » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:32 am

Mirotic12 wrote:Well, I've seen interviews where European players said they went and trained at those same facilities in USA and after said they would never go back, because it was lower level training than what they have in Europe.

This whole idea that Luka is going to make some magical change to his body and athleticism simply upon being in NBA is just not based on any actual evidence or fact. It's just some idea people have, without there being anything objective behind it.

First I need the evidence where people say that the US thaining is worse than the eurp...
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,431

Post#3344 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:52 am

XTraderXL wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:We can stop with all the made up untrue myths that EuroLeague players don't work out, don't train, and don't have to watch their diets now. It's reported all the time, how every EuroLeague team requires such things, yet we constantly have claims in these Doncic threads that no training, no lifting weights, and no proper diet exists at all in EuroLeague....

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/trademarks/730052/how-euroleague-players-work-out-and-what-do-they-eat-during-offseason/

People really need to stop confusing proper training and diet with rampant doping.[/quote

Man, we all know how and what Luka is eating. It has been mentioned in articles that his diet is terrible. And as far as him being in the weight room.... Does his body look to you like he ever did any serious lifting? Come on. If this is his physical max or close to it like you seem to claim, Luka will be a bust in the NBA. If he doesnt come into the league significantly physically improved, he will get destroyed on defense and will have big problems scoring the ball. Passing and playmaking can only get you so far if you cant score the ball.

You think that Euroleague training is the same as NBA but thats far from the truth. I have seen how Euro players train with their teams and its laughable in most cases, especially if you compare it to how they do it in the US. Its not just a fashion statement that many players go to the US in the summer and train there instead of working out with their team coaches in Europe. Even ex-NBA players say that NBA and EL strenght and conditioning can not compare at all. NBA is just on a different level. Even college programs have better strenght and conditioning than most EL teams. You are so biased towards Euro basketball that you cant see whats right in front of you and always trying to make excuses and comparisons which are mostly totally out of base when it comes to these things.

nowitzki is a guy who definitely didn't look like he did much lifting during his euro days, but became strong/hard working physically once in the nba. Maybe the same will be true of doncic.

In any argument mirotic will claim the superiority of european blah vs american blah and will run a nice derail for a while. Whatever.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
XTraderXL
Sixth Man

Post#3345 » by XTraderXL » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:46 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:Well, I've seen interviews where European players said they went and trained at those same facilities in USA and after said they would never go back, because it was lower level training than what they have in Europe.

I think you simply made this up. Maybe there are one or two players that say that training is better in Europe (even though I havent seen anyone claim this) but the overwhelming majority say that EU and USA cant compare in this regard. Why are then Euro players going to USA in the summer to train and no American players come to Europe? I mean if EU training is better, it would have made sense to come over and train in the summer dont you think?
dorandragic
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#3346 » by dorandragic » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:30 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
3baller9 wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:I think this was actually a great experience for him because now he knows he has to take better care of his body, needs to work more on his fitness and not to eat crappy food in Mexican restaurants and drink Cola every day if he wants to stay in shape during the whole season. His body not looking great was my criticism of him even before the Eurobasket.
One of his friends and his teammate on Slovenian NT told me that Luka went to fitness exactly one time this past season (he thought it affected his shooting). His trening was also meh. If he commits to transforming his body he very well could end up as the best European player of all time.

I also think that lifting weights ruins your shot is a myth, especially with Yugo coaches. Weightlifting doesnt hurt your shot if you dont exaggerate, it actually improves it.

You're talking long-term which is true. Weight training affects shooting negatively short term though and this is what most likely happened to Doncic.
Imagine yourself shooting the basketball after an intensive lower body training session. And for a somebody like Doncic who's not a seasoned athlete this can cause 3 to 4 days of soreness which can hurt your form short term.

This is why most of the NBA players don't do intensive weight training during the season.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man

Post#3347 » by XTraderXL » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:18 am

dorandragic wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:
3baller9 wrote:One of his friends and his teammate on Slovenian NT told me that Luka went to fitness exactly one time this past season (he thought it affected his shooting). His trening was also meh. If he commits to transforming his body he very well could end up as the best European player of all time.

I also think that lifting weights ruins your shot is a myth, especially with Yugo coaches. Weightlifting doesnt hurt your shot if you dont exaggerate, it actually improves it.

You're talking long-term which is true. Weight training affects shooting negatively short term though and this is what most likely happened to Doncic.
Imagine yourself shooting the basketball after an intensive lower body training session. And for a somebody like Doncic who's not a seasoned athlete this can cause 3 to 4 days of soreness which can hurt your form short term.

This is why most of the NBA players don't do intensive weight training during the season.

I wasnt talking about intensive weight training during the season. When I was still playing, I lifted weights 3 times weekly for 75 min, medium intensity just to maintain my musle mass and strenght. I also went to weight room in the morning before each game (if possible) and had a 30 min light weight lifting routine which actually helped with my shot. I usually shot worse when I didnt go through it, I just didnt have the same feel. So yes, if you do it correctly it does wonders for you. Especially when you get your body used to it, it feel like you are missing something if you stop lifting. At least that was the case with me.

But I agree about intensive weightlifting during the season, that would be a mistake. If you go full speed, you need at least a full 24 hours rest and even then you are not at 100%. Luka phisically deteriorated to the point where his body looked completely soft by the end of the season which affected his performances a lot. His bad shooting didnt happen because of too much training but rather because of no training at all. By the end of the season he could barely even carry his own weight around, lost explosivenss and lift on his shot. Just look at his videos from Eurobasket and from F4 and the diffrence in his body and all around game is obvious.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,757

Post#3348 » by nolang1 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:07 am

For the Luka Doncic height truthers still out there, he's definitely taller than Kobe.

Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 9,004

Post#3349 » by Johnny Firpo » Sat Sep 1, 2018 6:11 am

Luka already dropped weight and looks a lot better. He also has very strong and muscular legs, it's more like his upper body that's not necessarily chiseled, which it doesn't need to be. He is a basketball player, not a fitness model.
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#3350 » by arh1109 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 2:23 pm

Doncic is going to largely benefit from the new shot clock rule. This rule benefits the Draymond Green swiss army knife type of player in my opinion by reducing the value of offensive rebounding. Doncic is that type of player in the league in my opinion. He has the size and strength that is similar to Green. Also his guard skills are at a similar level. He will be able to play more minutes at power forward/center and exploit mismatches. That being said, I think this will only help him become an all star and don't see super stardom in his future.
XTraderXL
Sixth Man

Post#3351 » by XTraderXL » Sat Sep 1, 2018 2:33 pm

arh1109 wrote: Doncic is that type of player in the league in my opinion. He has the size and strength that is similar to Green. Also his guard skills are at a similar level. He will be able to play more minutes at power forward/center and exploit mismatches. .

Are you serious???
arh1109
Pro Prospect

Post#3352 » by arh1109 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 4:21 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
arh1109 wrote: Doncic is that type of player in the league in my opinion. He has the size and strength that is similar to Green. Also his guard skills are at a similar level. He will be able to play more minutes at power forward/center and exploit mismatches. .

Are you serious???

Yes trader
XTraderXL
Sixth Man

Post#3353 » by XTraderXL » Sat Sep 1, 2018 9:50 pm

I doubt you ever watched Luka play a full game then...
arh1109
Pro Prospect

Post#3354 » by arh1109 » Sun Sep 2, 2018 3:46 pm

I havent! I’ve watched many nba games though. I think he’ll fail guarding perimeter players like LeBron and KD in a h2h matchup. Bbq chicken
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,397

Post#3355 » by UcanUwill » Sun Sep 2, 2018 3:58 pm

Makes as much sense as playing Harden PF/C, since he cant guard Durant either. Doncic is a guard.
arh1109
Pro Prospect

Post#3356 » by arh1109 » Sun Sep 2, 2018 8:13 pm

Harden is 6'5 though. Not the same.
Rn5ho
Junior
And1: 376

Post#3357 » by Rn5ho » Mon Sep 3, 2018 11:14 am

And Luka is 19. Not the same.

Name me 5 players who ARE able to guard LeBron and KD in a h2h matchup and are on rookie contracts.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#3358 » by J_T » Mon Sep 3, 2018 11:23 am

nolang1 wrote:For the Luka Doncic height truthers still out there, he's definitely taller than Kobe.

It looks massively photoshopped. Just look at his head, it's twice the size of Kobe's head.

Also, the Earth is flat and it's all NASA conspiracy.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,230
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#3359 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Sep 3, 2018 6:02 pm

nolang1 wrote:For the Luka Doncic height truthers still out there, he's definitely taller than Kobe.

Idk, I never knew his height was in question or anything, but Kobe is bald here, and Luka's hair is pretty fluffy. They look about dead even to me. :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
arh1109
Pro Prospect

Post#3360 » by arh1109 » Mon Sep 3, 2018 7:13 pm

Rn5ho wrote:And Luka is 19. Not the same.

Name me 5 players who ARE able to guard LeBron and KD in a h2h matchup and are on rookie contracts.

Justice Winslow
Ben Simmons
Jayson Tatum(barely)
Jaylen Brown
Josh Jackson
Kyle Kuzma
Brandon Ingram
Jerami Grant
Stanley Johnson
Reggie Bullock

Return to NBA Draft