Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,693

Re: Luka Doncic Part III 

Post#3381 » by Homerclease » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:48 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Didnt hit his shots in one game equal he cant shoot... Hes a good shooter, might turn to elite in few seasons.

He’s a career 30% 3 point shooter, if he’s a good shooter then so is Marcus Smart

Probably 80% of his career 3s were off the dribble contested step backs. He was never used as off ball spot up shooter, and they never played off ball screens for him. If you think he cant shoot, you probably never watched him play. For the first time in his career he got to play off ball a little more, shoot open 3s with feet set, and he was 43.5% from 3 on 5.8 attempts in preseason. Dude is a good shooter, he was 18 last year shooting some of the most clutch and hardest shots in Europe, and he wasn't consistent all the time, what a shock. Leave him actually open and then call him bad shooter, good luck with that.

Ok, so he’s a bad shooter with poor shot selection. Even worse. He’s young so of course he has time to work on it but calling him a great shooter right now is just blind fanboyism
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,166

Post#3382 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:He’s a career 30% 3 point shooter, if he’s a good shooter then so is Marcus Smart

Probably 80% of his career 3s were off the dribble contested step backs. He was never used as off ball spot up shooter, and they never played off ball screens for him. If you think he cant shoot, you probably never watched him play. For the first time in his career he got to play off ball a little more, shoot open 3s with feet set, and he was 43.5% from 3 on 5.8 attempts in preseason. Dude is a good shooter, he was 18 last year shooting some of the most clutch and hardest shots in Europe, and he wasn't consistent all the time, what a shock. Leave him actually open and then call him bad shooter, good luck with that.

Ok, so he’s a bad shooter with poor shot selection. Even worse. He’s young so of course he has time to work on it but calling him a great shooter right now is just blind fanboyism

His shot selection can be questionable at times, but he was last resort option when possession goes south, so he really was forced into step backs all the time, not to mention he attempted last second full court shots in almost every game, shot that some stat-saving players dont even attempt nowadays. Some poster here actually counted all his attempts, and his percentages on threes were 4-5% higher if you dont count full court shots at the end of the quarter.

Comparing him to Marcus Smart is clueless, like seriously you dont know what you are talking about. one is being left open dared to shoot, the other was shooting James harden type shots all year. Lets come back at the of the season and see how your marcus smart comparison holds :lol:
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#3383 » by Homerclease » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:59 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

His shot selection can be questionable at times, but he was last resort option when possession goes south, so he really was forced into step backs all the time, not to mention he attempted last second full court shots in almost every game, shot that some stat-saving players dont even attempt nowadays. Some poster here actually counted all his attempts, and his percentages on threes were 4-5% higher if you dont count full court shots at the end of the quarter.

Comparing him to Marcus Smart is clueless, like seriously you dont know what you are talking about. one is being left open dared to shoot, the other was shooting James harden type shots all year. Lets come back at the of the season and see how your marcus smart comparison holds :lol:

It’s not a comparison to Marcus Smart, it’s hyperbole. Everyone knows Smart is a bad outside shooter. Yet people say Doncic can shoot even though his percentages are roughly the same. James Harden shoots James Harden shots because he can make them, Doncic takes these shots because he can’t beat his man off the dribble
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3384 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:11 pm

Homerclease wrote:It’s not a comparison to Marcus Smart, it’s hyperbole. Everyone knows Smart is a bad outside shooter. Yet people say Doncic can shoot even though his percentages are roughly the same. James Harden shoots James Harden shots because he can make them, Doncic takes these shots because he can’t beat his man off the dribble

he was scoring 22.2 points per 36 minutes (4th. highest rate) on 61.2 TS% in freaking Euroleague against teams that mostly prepare for him on defense. So its not like he was bad at scoring and beating his defenders to say the least. For an 18 year old, his shooting and scoring is very polished
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#3385 » by Homerclease » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:12 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:It’s not a comparison to Marcus Smart, it’s hyperbole. Everyone knows Smart is a bad outside shooter. Yet people say Doncic can shoot even though his percentages are roughly the same. James Harden shoots James Harden shots because he can make them, Doncic takes these shots because he can’t beat his man off the dribble

he was scoring 22.2 points per 36 minutes (4th. highest rate) on 61.2 TS% in freaking Euroleague against teams that mostly prepare for him on defense. So its not like he was bad at scoring and beating his defenders to say the least. For an 18 year old, his shooting and scoring is very polished

I didn’t say he was bad at scoring, I said he’s a bad shooter and the stats bear that out.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3386 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I didn’t say he was bad at scoring, I said he’s a bad shooter and the stats bear that out.

Do you think Kobe was a bad shooter? Bad shooter is someone you dont mind leaving open. Doncic cant be left open or he will punish you.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#3387 » by Homerclease » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:18 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

Do you think Kobe was a bad shooter? Bad shooter is someone you dont mind leaving open. Doncic cant be left open or he will punish you.

I think comparing Doncic to guys like Kobe and Harden is doing a disservice to the kid and a big reason why his hype train is so ridiculous. Start with someone like Joe Ingles and try to go up from there. Or even Lonzo Ball
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3388 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:I didn’t say he was bad at scoring, I said he’s a bad shooter and the stats bear that out.

I think comparing Doncic to guys like Kobe and Harden is doing a disservice to the kid and a big reason why his hype train is so ridiculous. Start with someone like Joe Ingles and try to go up from there. Or even Lonzo Ball

I am not comparing him to Kobe Bryant, I am bringing up a guy who is career under 33% shooter from deep, which by your logic means hes a bad shooter.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#3389 » by Homerclease » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:24 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I am not comparing him to Kobe Bryant, I am bringing up a guy who is career under 33% shooter from deep, which by your logic means hes a bad shooter.

Apples and oranges comparisons. Kobe, and even Mike were poor 3 point shooters who’s primes were in a largely different era. Both were ISO mid range killers who averaged over 30 ppg for entire seasons and won scoring title after scoring title. There’s simply no comparison to Luka Doncic whatsoever.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3390 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:27 pm

Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:I think comparing Doncic to guys like Kobe and Harden is doing a disservice to the kid and a big reason why his hype train is so ridiculous. Start with someone like Joe Ingles and try to go up from there. Or even Lonzo Ball

Apples and oranges comparisons. Kobe, and even Mike were poor 3 point shooters who’s primes were in a largely different era. Both were ISO mid range killers who averaged over 30 ppg for entire seasons and won scoring title after scoring title. There’s simply no comparison to Luka Doncic whatsoever.

you dont think Kobe would have shot much better if he was taking Jarred Dudley, Shane Battier type shots, instead of Bobe shots?
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#3391 » by Homerclease » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:29 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

you dont think Kobe would have shot much better if he was taking Jarred Dudley, Shane Battier type shots, instead of Bobe shots?

No, because that wasn’t Kobe’s game. Kobe demanded the ball and told everyone to GTFO the way and then buried a fallaway baseline J over your double team. Doncic isn’t even in the same arena in terms of skill set
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#3392 » by UcanUwill » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Apples and oranges comparisons. Kobe, and even Mike were poor 3 point shooters who’s primes were in a largely different era. Both were ISO mid range killers who averaged over 30 ppg for entire seasons and won scoring title after scoring title. There’s simply no comparison to Luka Doncic whatsoever.

No, because that wasn’t Kobe’s game. Kobe demanded the ball and told everyone to GTFO the way and then buried a fallaway baseline J over your double team. Doncic isn’t even in the same arena in terms of skill set

i dont know what to tell you then. A guy who shoots 36% from 3 is not necessarily a better 3 point shooter in a vacuum than a guy who shoots 32%. Overall I expect Doncic percentage to go up, because he will have far more open shot opportunities.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#3393 » by Homerclease » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:35 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

i dont know what to tell you then. A guy who shoots 36% from 3 is not necessarily a better 3 point shooter in a vacuum than a guy who shoots 32%. Overall I expect Doncic percentage to go up, because he will have far more open shot opportunities.

If it does then maybe you have the right to call him a good shooter. As of now he isn’t. Kobe earned that right by winning multiple championships and scoring titles and this is coming from a Celtics fan that can’t stand him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#3394 » by Marcus » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:11 pm

This might end up unpopular, but with the draft being over, Luka being in the actual NBA now, the fact that these threads can't help but be volatile, and this thread being well over the 100 page limit we're supposed to be sticking to, I'm shutting this thread down for good. Thank you to those of you that kept the conversation civil and productive, I hope that you continue to do so in the various Doncic threads throughout the RealGM forums.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Gibson22
Sixth Man
And1: 905

Post#3395 » by Gibson22 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:22 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:as predicted...he looked awful. Can't defend and can't shoot. Not a great combo. He's a great passer with high BBIQ and motor. But that won't work in the NBA if you don't have skills to offset the lack of athleticism. Hopefully, eventually he'll find himself on a team or a situation where he can be a point forward with shooters surrounding him and an elite Big that he can primarily run the PnR with. That's the only chance he has to be an above average player, and even then, only on offense. DSJ can't play off ball so it won't be in Dallas until they fix that situation. Maybe they can find a shooter with their 2019 lottery pick...that's right, they traded that to ATL. Yikes.

Obviously he's a respectable shooter, just one terrible shooting game. Do you think he would be that stupid to shoot 16 times with a lof of jumpers if he couldn't shoot? Slow as hell tho, was already not fast enough but now he's just fat

Return to NBA Draft