Brandon Miller - Alabama

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,390

Re: Brandon Miller - Alabama 

Post#41 » by CptCrunch » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:38 pm

NBA lotto picks tends to be older due to the well studied birthday effect. This dude was actually draft eligible based on age if he were an international in Europe as of 2 drafts ago. Yes, he would have been draft eligible for the 2021 draft.

Looking at his ranking history on 247: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Brandon-Miller-at-Cane-Ridge-249301/RecruitRankHistory/

It seem he has floated around the early teens rank for 3 years, which doesn't bode well in my mind from the physical side given that he was a 18 year old playing against 15/16 year old high schoolers for the past 2 years.

I usually like to discount prospects based on age, more than most, but his dude's age is actually a legit bigger issue that most previous cases. He is a Keegan Murray equivalent-aged type prospect. I would need to see Murray level impact in college to be comfortable with him anywhere near the top 5. In the 5-14 range, I would be happy to nab him as a role player.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#42 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:09 pm

CptCrunch wrote:NBA lotto picks tends to be older due to the well studied birthday effect. This dude was actually draft eligible based on age if he were an international in Europe as of 2 drafts ago. Yes, he would have been draft eligible for the 2021 draft.

Looking at his ranking history on 247: https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Brandon-Miller-at-Cane-Ridge-249301/RecruitRankHistory/

It seem he has floated around the early teens rank for 3 years, which doesn't bode well in my mind from the physical side given that he was a 18 year old playing against 15/16 year old high schoolers for the past 2 years.

I usually like to discount prospects based on age, more than most, but his dude's age is actually a legit bigger issue that most previous cases. He is a Keegan Murray equivalent-aged type prospect. I would need to see Murray level impact in college to be comfortable with him anywhere near the top 5. In the 5-14 range, I would be happy to nab him as a role player.

Finally someone with smarts. He is a full TWO years older than GG Jackson and they are roughly the same archetype. It wouldn't surprise me at all if in 2 years GG is a better prospect.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,307

Post#43 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:33 pm

i mean if you want to comp him to Keegan you have to comp him to Keeg's freshmen year, where he barely scored 7 pts per. Miller's dropping 20 per and in the most athletic conference by far.

i personally don't have Miller top 5 or even top 10 at this point, but ya'll acting like this cat is undraftable because he's older.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by CptCrunch » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:i mean if you want to comp him to Keegan you have to comp him to Keeg's freshmen year, where he barely scored 7 pts per. Miller's dropping 20 per and in the most athletic conference by far.

i personally don't have Miller top 5 or even top 10 at this point, but ya'll acting like this cat is undraftable because he's older.

That's fine because Keegan was dog turd freshman year. Breaking modern efficiency records, just a hair shy of Zion Williamson is why Sophomore (Senior aged) Keegan was even considered a lotto pick (who I had at #12 on big board, this is not a I am right post wrt Keegan).

My problem is with people like KoC, who I will trash at every chance, pumping a player like Miller up on Twitter as his #3 pick right now.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#45 » by clyde21 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:02 pm

KoC is a clown, who cares
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#46 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:30 pm

clyde21 wrote:i mean if you want to comp him to Keegan you have to comp him to Keeg's freshmen year, where he barely scored 7 pts per. Miller's dropping 20 per and in the most athletic conference by far.

Yeah I mean that's a nice strawman because nobody is saying he's undraftable. Clyde gonna Clyde.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#47 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:32 pm

CptCrunch wrote:

That's fine because Keegan was dog turd freshman year.

He was actually pretty awesome his Freshman year and was on my radar most of the year. He was literally one of the least surprising "breakouts" of last season because he just needed more minutes.
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,151

Post#48 » by The Moose » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:30 pm

Ever since making this thread things have gotten ugly for Miller lmao

Read on Twitter
?s=19
clyde21
RealGM

Post#49 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:45 pm

wonder if KoC still has him #3
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#50 » by EMG518 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:54 pm

clyde21 wrote:wonder if KoC still has him #3

LOL KOC, poor guy.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#51 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:49 pm

The Moose wrote:Ever since making this thread things have gotten ugly for Miller lmao

?s=19

Just dont make a Whitmore thread and ruin him too. We need that guy as he looks awesome!
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#52 » by CptCrunch » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:35 am

KOC likes to watch 15 minutes of basketball and make calls about players as if he was the first person to have studied the said player, ignroing all warts and questional marks. His 'feels' dominates his opinion towards a player. If you took a random redditor or RealGM who has never played basketball or studied analytics in school and gave them a microphone box, you would get KOC.

I'm not saying I am better than KOC, but I can sure as hell say KOC is a fraud who is no better than the average poster on these forums.
JTG_92940618
Rookie
And1: 472

Post#53 » by JTG_92940618 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:34 am

I think the problem for KoC is that for his job, he's required to have a certain number of hot takes each week and, after a while, the well runs dry and he has to reach for things. Remember, his job isn't to get the draft right, it's to generate clicks and attract eyeballs.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,353

Post#54 » by Catchall » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:12 am

If you're drafting a floor-spacing wing, do you take Miller ahead of guys like Jett Howard and Gradey Dick at this point? I guess Miller is better defensively and will get you rebounds. How about Maxwell Lewis?
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,167

Post#55 » by The-Power » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:49 am

Strong bounce back game from Miller against Memphis. The pushback against him has been a bit too much recently. He lacks the strength and explosiveness to consistently drive to and finish around the basket and he's an older Freshman, yes. That's why he's not a top-tier prospect.

But he has good size and length, an advanced jump shot, solid playmaking instincts, decent handles, some solid defensive qualities, and rebounds well for his position. That's a lot of boxes that he checks. Just don't draft him as your primary on-ball creator or go-to option.
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#56 » by EMG518 » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:02 pm

Clearly a lottery pick.

He has some good physical attributes, we will see if he learns to use them better to get himself some iso points.

Any team would be happy to add him to their roster either way.
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,371

Post#57 » by BAMAFREAK » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:55 am

His jumper his lethal but he’s got no lateral game in his offense. It’s either a jump shot or a straight drive to the rack without an explosive first step.
He’s fine defensively due to his size and length but needs strength. His lack of twitch may keep him from being a great 1 on 1 scorer.
If he ends up on a team like Memphis or Boston I could see him being a fringe all star floor spacer. He wouldn’t have to create at all in those situations.
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,371

Post#58 » by BAMAFREAK » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:41 pm

Having a pretty good one today. 27 with lot of time left
clyde21
RealGM

Post#59 » by clyde21 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:19 pm

36 piece
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,353

Post#60 » by Catchall » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:34 pm

BAMAFREAK wrote:His jumper his lethal but he’s got no lateral game in his offense. It’s either a jump shot or a straight drive to the rack without an explosive first step.
He’s fine defensively due to his size and length but needs strength. His lack of twitch may keep him from being a great 1 on 1 scorer.
If he ends up on a team like Memphis or Boston I could see him being a fringe all star floor spacer. He wouldn’t have to create at all in those situations.

I think he's a complementary player, a wing shooter with size. Think Nic Batum. He might put up 15/7/3 as a third option on a good team, but he's going to need other primary players to get him some open space. He's not going to get these looks and finishes against NBA defenders. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but he's not in my top 5 - 7 guys.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to NBA Draft