Temetrius "Ja" Morant

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,407

Re: Temetrius "Ja" Morant 

Post#401 » by King Ken » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Hamilton just called Ja the best player in the country and he played Zion 2 times.
awkwardlycool
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#402 » by awkwardlycool » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:00 pm

King Ken wrote:Hamilton just called Ja the best player in the country and he played Zion 2 times.
Saw that too. He must've forgot...

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,315

Post#403 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:01 pm

King Ken wrote:Hamilton just called Ja the best player in the country and he played Zion 2 times.

troll
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#404 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:45 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:Ja ever dunk off 1 foot in a game?

Seems to be mostly all 2-feet which makes me think he’s not really close to being on that Rose/Westbrook/Wall tier athletically. Below D Fox too.

Those first 3 guys came into the league much more explosive and heavier . Fox was skinny but a speed demon and fearless finisher against high-end NCAA talent

I feel like Ja needs a wider/solid frame to be able to play his style of game in the NBA. He’s not actually a great finisher at the rim by the numbers, which is worrisome considering he is rarely ever going against legit NBA-level rim protectors.

Generally speaking Morant seems like he doesn’t like physical contact . Idk how that will play out at the NBA level. I thought Trae Young was similar, but his toughness is underrated and he’s very crafty at foul drawing. Plus his jumpshot threat really allows him to create space if you try to body him.

Morant wants to play like Westbrook/Wall but has the physique of Jeff Teague.

It's called lacking core strength. The most fixable flaw a basketball player can have. No he's not built like Wall or Westbrook but he also has significant skill advantages over both coming out.

Well yes, but Morant is fundamentally not a good jumper off 1 foot which significantly limits his finishing ability.
Different players have different types of athleticism, I don't know that Morant has that elite athleticism & power at the rim
clyde21
RealGM

Post#405 » by clyde21 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:58 pm

this cant jump off one foot stuff is hysterical.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,245

Post#406 » by Dat2U » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:53 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Those first 3 guys came into the league much more explosive and heavier . Fox was skinny but a speed demon and fearless finisher against high-end NCAA talent

I feel like Ja needs a wider/solid frame to be able to play his style of game in the NBA. He’s not actually a great finisher at the rim by the numbers, which is worrisome considering he is rarely ever going against legit NBA-level rim protectors.

Generally speaking Morant seems like he doesn’t like physical contact . Idk how that will play out at the NBA level. I thought Trae Young was similar, but his toughness is underrated and he’s very crafty at foul drawing. Plus his jumpshot threat really allows him to create space if you try to body him.

Morant wants to play like Westbrook/Wall but has the physique of Jeff Teague.

It's called lacking core strength. The most fixable flaw a basketball player can have. No he's not built like Wall or Westbrook but he also has significant skill advantages over both coming out.

Well yes, but Morant is fundamentally not a good jumper off 1 foot which significantly limits his finishing ability.
Different players have different types of athleticism, I don't know that Morant has that elite athleticism & power at the rim

He's quick twitch and explosive in tight spaces. I think this is a weak argument. De'Aaron Fox had the exact same issue for the exact same reason when he was coming out.
Eskobar13
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#407 » by Eskobar13 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:this cant jump off one foot stuff is hysterical.

Can he though?

Don't mean to interject in a conversation with way more knowledgeable people, but everytime I see him he struggles finishing and the one-foot thing is definitely important. I know they're different players, but just look at Lonzo ball and see how important that ability is.

I can't honestly remember an elite NBA guard who wasn't either a supreme shooter or able to finish in tight spaces of one foot as well as two.
Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,009

Post#408 » by Nazrmohamed » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:28 pm

Its nitpicking at the highest level which is fine. Nobody doubts he'll be good but the fact that we're reduced to nitpicking at this level just means hes an awesome player.
What are the chances at his mid major school that hes getting Chris Brickley caliber skill drill or physical therapy and all that stuff. In other words the few things I'm seeing people question can be fixed. Idk his desire to get better....could be I just dont know.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,529

Post#409 » by ellobo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:07 pm

IIRC, this was actually an issue for Donovan Mitchell coming out of college too, and was a reason he was not a great finisher around the rim.

Evidently it's something the Utah coaches worked with him on after the draft and through summer league into his rookie year, and something he put a lot of work into to not instinctively default to always going up off two feet.

Dominique Wilkins was the best two-footed finisher I've ever seen, and it was never something that held him back. If a guy is a great finisher off two feet, then it's not necessarily an issue. But if a guy is NOT a good finisher and always goes off two feet, then learning to go off one foot can make a big difference, especially against bigger, more athletic competition.
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,427

Post#410 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 8:39 pm

Does Ja need to be able to shoot with high efficiency from 3 to live up to the hype?

Could his career stall kind of like the way DSJ's career has stalled?

Or will he be as productive as Fox has become in his second season?
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,568

Post#411 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 4, 2019 4:56 am

wco81 wrote:Does Ja need to be able to shoot with high efficiency from 3 to live up to the hype?

Given Maront is above an 80% FT Shooter and Smith was around 70% I would say it is a good sign Morant will be at least a decent shooter in the NBA.

To answer your question, Fox.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#412 » by King Ken » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:34 am

wco81 wrote:Does Ja need to be able to shoot with high efficiency from 3 to live up to the hype?

His passing and playmaking is his best skill...
clyde21
RealGM

Post#413 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 4, 2019 5:44 am

DSJ's issues have been injuries more than anything...he's constantly out of the lineup dealing with nagging issues.

also Morant shot 36% at almost 5 attempts per game in college with over 81% at the line...he projects to be at least someone that you have to respect shooting from deep which is all what he really needs to unlock the rest of his game.
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,431

Post#414 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Fri Apr 5, 2019 10:09 pm

ellobo wrote:

IIRC, this was actually an issue for Donovan Mitchell coming out of college too, and was a reason he was not a great finisher around the rim.

Evidently it's something the Utah coaches worked with him on after the draft and through summer league into his rookie year, and something he put a lot of work into to not instinctively default to always going up off two feet.

Dominique Wilkins was the best two-footed finisher I've ever seen, and it was never something that held him back. If a guy is a great finisher off two feet, then it's not necessarily an issue. But if a guy is NOT a good finisher and always goes off two feet, then learning to go off one foot can make a big difference, especially against bigger, more athletic competition.

AFAIK its still an issue with donovan mitchell in the nba. He's not a great at the rim finisher I don't think. @me if I'm wrong but be gentle.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#415 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 5, 2019 10:10 pm

Ja remains a high value target but I could see him slipping a couple spots when it's all said and done regardless of how well he plays or if a redraft puts him back at 2 or 3. I mean with clean Medicals Bol could take that spot for any team not CHI or PHO at 2 w/ a couple of others like RJ,Culver and maybe Hayes as better fits for teams with legit pg on the roster.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM

Post#416 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 5, 2019 10:17 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
ellobo wrote:

AFAIK its still an issue with donovan mitchell in the nba. He's not a great at the rim finisher I don't think. @me if I'm wrong but be gentle.

D-Mitch finishes at 61% rate at the rim so that's definitely pretty good, it's about the same rate as Westbrook more or less.
King Ken
General Manager

Post#417 » by King Ken » Fri Apr 5, 2019 10:21 pm

I think Ja is a lock at #2. Five teams in the top 7 need a playmaking PG. He honestly has the most trade value in this draft and the most in the last two drafts. Zion like Ayton are untradable. No one is trading those two.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#418 » by Stillwater » Fri Apr 5, 2019 11:36 pm

King Ken wrote:I think Ja is a lock at #2. Five teams in the top 7 need a playmaking PG. He honestly has the most trade value in this draft and the most in the last two drafts. Zion like Ayton are untradable. No one is trading those two.

Yeah he could hold the most trade value at 2 esp for PHO moving up from 3 or something. I don't think anyone who is most likely in that range is giving up the #2 for the 4th or after for example though. They would just draft whomever they would have taken at 3 leaving Ja for whomever is at 3 etc if the chance they'd walk away with neither Barrett nor Bol at 4 if they only had 1 of them in that range( Bol bad medicals etc)
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,829

Post#419 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:28 pm

I do wonder mostly about his level of competition. Isaiah Canaan went to Murray St as well and was two time OVC player of the year. I saw enough of Canaan over the last couple of years.

Then you have Cameron Payne who was also OVC POY like Morant, and had pretty good stats...not quite at Morant level, but better in some areas like only half the turnovers (and about 70% the assists), more steals, better 3 pt shooting..

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=ja-morant--cameron-payne

Though I guess Curry played a similar level of competition, as did Lillard and McCollum, though they were/are all elite shooters, even off the dribble.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#420 » by clyde21 » Tue Apr 9, 2019 8:16 pm

bwgood77 wrote:I do wonder mostly about his level of competition. Isaiah Canaan went to Murray St as well and was two time OVC player of the year. I saw enough of Canaan over the last couple of years.

Then you have Cameron Payne who was also OVC POY like Morant, and had pretty good stats...not quite at Morant level, but better in some areas like only half the turnovers (and about 70% the assists), more steals, better 3 pt shooting..

http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=ja-morant--cameron-payne

Though I guess Curry played a similar level of competition, as did Lillard and McCollum, though they were/are all elite shooters, even off the dribble.

tourney play against Marquette and Florida St. didn't alleviate those concerns for u?

Return to NBA Draft