2020 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,405

Re: 2020 NBA Draft 

Post#501 » by King Ken » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:11 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:no offense ken but i seen you call at least one prospect generational every year bit too liberal with the word

. Trae (this could be true) & Reddish (this is doubt highly)

You are free to have your opinions and I am free to have mines. I completely disagree with you. I rarely use the word generational. In the case of Trae, his generational is limited to his offensive impact in particular his playmaking and passing.

Over the years, I've used it in some regards for:
Bagley
Luka - see Trae
Bamba - In reference to long term defensive potential
Zion
I don't think I used it for anyone in Ben Simmons class
I remember using for Okafor footwork and post polish
I remember using it for Griffin athleticism and Steph shooting as a prospect as well as Kyrie for his skills and scoring chops. Dwight athleticism and dunking. I remember being extremely high on Giannis potential thinking he could be the best player in the world one day in his prime even if he sucked right now.

I've rarely used the word and for a prospect in general, here are the prospects I've used it for altogether.

Reddish in the optimal fit
Bagley
Zion
AD
Oden
Durant
LeBron
Lonzo Ball in the optimal fit
Giannis Antetokounmpo potential

Those are the only prospects I felt could be the best player in the NBA one day. Just these nine in the last 20 years.

Of those names. Only Oden flopped due to injuries. Ball, Bagley, Zion and Reddish are too young. I feel great about my use of generational in general. What's your track record sir?
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,226

Post#502 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:42 pm

King Ken wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:no offense ken but i seen you call at least one prospect generational every year bit too liberal with the word

You are free to have your opinions and I am free to have mines. I completely disagree with you. I rarely use the word generational. In the case of Trae, his generational is limited to his offensive impact in particular his playmaking and passing.

Bagley
Luka - see Trae
Zion
I remember using it for Griffin athleticism and Steph shooting as a prospect as well as Kyrie for his skills and scoring chops. Dwight athleticism and dunking. I remember being extremely high on Giannis potential thinking he could be the best player in the world one day in his prime even if he sucked right now.

I've rarely used the word and for a prospect in general, here are the prospects I've used it for altogether.

Bagley
Zion
AD
Oden
Durant
LeBron

Those are the only prospects I felt could be the best player in the NBA one day. Just these nine in the last 20 years.

Of those names. Only Oden flopped due to injuries. Ball, Bagley, Zion and Reddish are too young. I feel great about my use of generational in general. What's your track record sir?

Yeah that’s kinda my point that’s a ton of players for a generation

I guess it’s really an opinion thing my question would switch to what you define as generational?

To me it’s taken pretty much at face value I.e once in generation or just guys people were 100% on being a superstar/ revolutionary player

To kinda expand into that here are people drafted in the last 20 years (since 1999) who I think fit that description as prospects

- Lebron
- Greg Oden
- Kevin Durant
- Blake
-Davis
-Zion

There’s some players you can convince me to put on there but those are the ones I would immediately qualify as generational and some of those you can even make an argument to take them off (Blake , KD and AD)
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,405

Post#503 » by King Ken » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:08 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
King Ken wrote:

Bagley
Luka - see Trae
Zion

Bagley
Zion
AD
Oden
Durant
LeBron

Yeah that’s kinda my point that’s a ton of players for a generation

I guess it’s really an opinion thing my question would switch to what you define as generational?

To me it’s taken pretty much at face value I.e once in generation or just guys people were 100% on being a superstar/ revolutionary player

To kinda expand into that here are people drafted in the last 20 years (since 1999) who I think fit that description as prospects

- Lebron
- Greg Oden
- Kevin Durant
- Blake
-Davis
-Zion

There’s some players you can convince me to put on there but those are the ones I would immediately qualify as generational and some of those you can even make an argument to take them off (Blake , KD and AD)

Everyone on my could be the best player in the league is either there, close, just starting or in Zion and Cam case, hasn't yet.

No offense bro but as someone who watching an extreme amount of tape and does extensive work on these evaluate include before preseason evals. I am very confident in my take and all of the guys listed earned the evaluation based on their HS, EBYL or other shoe league in AAU and of course college or pro tape. I strongly feel everyone who got it, earned it.

There are some people who have Luka on their list. Some who have John Wall. That's fine, if you think watching their tape, he could be the best in the game one day, you did extremely well.

I feel as if you are digging into a hole and running around a definition I think is pretty clear.

For you Griffin was a clear generation prospect. For me he wasn't. I still have my notes from that class. No one in the class got the could be the best in the NBA one day tag. Now there are two players who actually got there from that class were Steph and Harden. Harden earned the tag, the best scorer and offensive player of the class and I rated his scoring ability to be better than Durant as prospect. I rated Steph Mr. Intangibles, best shooter and most skilled in the class.

Both players inproved tremendously. Harden improved his ball handling which helped him as his first step out of college wasn't good. I rated him an elite shooter as well. Harden really improved his passing which is where I didn't expect him to improve on much. Steph I was pretty spot on but his on ball ability, passing and body improved in ways I just didn't account for. Add the change in how the game is played and Steph broke the NBA.

Yep, while Griffin was extremely highly rated. His defense was a question mark as was his lack of length and shooting range as a prospect.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,757

Post#504 » by nolang1 » Tue Oct 1, 2019 9:42 am

Marcus wrote:
NotACat wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

The timing on the blocks stands out to me the most, comes over at the last possible moment which prevents an easy dump off to his man.

Wiseman doing big man things isn't my concern with him. Its when he's trying to do wing/guard things that I get leery. When Wiseman plays like a big, grabs boards, rim runs, post up, block shots, he's the kid we expect him to be and a damn good C in the league with just those things in place. When he's using hesitation dribbles, trying to cross up players and shooting step back jumpers from 18 feet out is when he falls on the board in my eyes. As long as he doesn't spend the whole season trying to prove what else he can do and just stick to the meat and potatoes we came for he's gonna be a stud.

These kids need to be better about doing their job on the team their on and letting the rest come to light when the circumstances change. doing that exact thing is what shot KAT to the top. Anyone following him knew guard skills and the jumper were there but at UK he did big man things. The rest is advantageous once you hit the NBA. You won't be allowed the same freedoms you had in college or high school unless the situation is right so these kids need to spend their time prior to that showing scouts that they can do their jobs on whatever team they're on.

Yeah this would be precisely the reason Wiseman has come around to being underrated. With better teammates and officiating he'll be able to be even more efficient just doing big man stuff. Like it's hard for me to criticize someone for being too perimeter-oriented in high school when in most games they have no chance of losing (so why not try to work on other skills that you'll need at the next level) and are officiated like Shaq on steroids where they can get hacked with no call while any physicality on their part is likely to result in an offensive foul.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#505 » by Marcus » Tue Oct 1, 2019 4:56 pm

nolang1 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
NotACat wrote:The timing on the blocks stands out to me the most, comes over at the last possible moment which prevents an easy dump off to his man.

Wiseman doing big man things isn't my concern with him. Its when he's trying to do wing/guard things that I get leery. When Wiseman plays like a big, grabs boards, rim runs, post up, block shots, he's the kid we expect him to be and a damn good C in the league with just those things in place. When he's using hesitation dribbles, trying to cross up players and shooting step back jumpers from 18 feet out is when he falls on the board in my eyes. As long as he doesn't spend the whole season trying to prove what else he can do and just stick to the meat and potatoes we came for he's gonna be a stud.

These kids need to be better about doing their job on the team their on and letting the rest come to light when the circumstances change. doing that exact thing is what shot KAT to the top. Anyone following him knew guard skills and the jumper were there but at UK he did big man things. The rest is advantageous once you hit the NBA. You won't be allowed the same freedoms you had in college or high school unless the situation is right so these kids need to spend their time prior to that showing scouts that they can do their jobs on whatever team they're on.

Yeah this would be precisely the reason Wiseman has come around to being underrated. With better teammates and officiating he'll be able to be even more efficient just doing big man stuff. Like it's hard for me to criticize someone for being too perimeter-oriented in high school when in most games they have no chance of losing (so why not try to work on other skills that you'll need at the next level) and are officiated like Shaq on steroids where they can get hacked with no call while any physicality on their part is likely to result in an offensive foul.

Dont get me wrong no.1 is Wiseman's to lose IMO. If he's playing like a big i don't think it will matter what anyone else does, he'll be keeping that spot. I'm all for having more skills and showcasing them, I especially get it at the HS level where the talent gap is really wide. I just don't want James trying to showcase these skills just on a whim. If he picks his spots then i'm all for it. We know he can shoot it a little. Know he can handle it a bit. Know there's some coast to coast in him. But all of that can be picked moments. Long as he handles it that way he's the guy.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#506 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:43 am

I'd be shocked if Wiseman goes nº1 in June
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#507 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 2, 2019 5:29 pm

Fischella wrote:I'd be shocked if Wiseman goes nº1 in June

who do you have going number 1?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,323

Post#508 » by DirtyDez » Wed Oct 2, 2019 6:42 pm

I’ve heard Nico hasn’t stood out one way or another. Green has been better than expected especially on D.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#509 » by No-Man » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:34 pm

Marcus wrote:

Cole by a decent margin, it's not a good draft
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#510 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 2, 2019 7:42 pm

Fischella wrote:
Marcus wrote:

what does Cole bring to the table that gives him the edge for you?
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,172

Post#511 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:13 pm

Fischella wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Agree with this 100%. I also have Cole by a considerable gap as well.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,310

Post#512 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:18 pm

real #1 should be a Scottie Lewis but I agree that this is a weak draft at the top
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#513 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 2, 2019 8:26 pm

I might be old school in my thought process but i don't completely subscribe to the NBA being a guard league. I think it's more of a skill league than its ever been and that caters to guards moreso than other positions but i still think the skilled bigger player holds more weight when it comes to drafting. That's why i think it's Wiseman's to lose. Not saying he's the best player in the class or will have the best career but baseline wise he gives NBA trainers and coaches more to work with due to physical dimensions than a Cole Anthony would.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#514 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 9:23 pm

As of right now, this class doesn't look like it has a true #1 overall kind of prospect. But lets remember this time last year guys like Reddish and Little were looked at as really good top 5 guys.

I personally have Cole #1 because of the simple fact that he is PG that is a good shooter, athletic, good handle, can finish at the rim and can run the PnR. I think he is a really good score first PG prospect. That is a very popular position at the moment and I can see him going #1. Now if Wiseman puts on a block party all year and shows some potential with his 3pt shot, I can him taking #1 as well. But right now I think Cole is going to have a showcase year and if that 3pt shot is around 40% by the end of the year, I think he goes #1 pretty easily.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#515 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 2, 2019 9:51 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:As of right now, this class doesn't look like it has a true #1 overall kind of prospect. But lets remember this time last year guys like Reddish and Little were looked at as really good top 5 guys.

I personally have Cole #1 because of the simple fact that he is PG that is a good shooter, athletic, good handle, can finish at the rim and can run the PnR. I think he is a really good score first PG prospect. That is a very popular position at the moment and I can see him going #1. Now if Wiseman puts on a block party all year and shows some potential with his 3pt shot, I can him taking #1 as well. But right now I think Cole is going to have a showcase year and if that 3pt shot is around 40% by the end of the year, I think he goes #1 pretty easily.

I can still subscribe to the fact that its a positional need draft, i'm just of the mindset that bigger is still considered better. If Wiseman plays big with a sprinkle of new age skill I would think he'd be the guy regardless of the kind of season anyone else has. It's old mentality for sure but it's played out this way for a while so some of what i'm saying comes from that as well. Obviously not always the right move in hindsight but usually considered the safer bet unless another position has a clear exceptional talent and even then it's dicey.
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#516 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:00 pm

Marcus wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:As of right now, this class doesn't look like it has a true #1 overall kind of prospect. But lets remember this time last year guys like Reddish and Little were looked at as really good top 5 guys.

I can still subscribe to the fact that its a positional need draft, i'm just of the mindset that bigger is still considered better. If Wiseman plays big with a sprinkle of new age skill I would think he'd be the guy regardless of the kind of season anyone else has. It's old mentality for sure but it's played out this way for a while so some of what i'm saying comes from that as well. Obviously not always the right move in hindsight but usually considered the safer bet unless another position has a clear exceptional talent and even then it's dicey.

I could definitely see it coming down to being a positional need for who goes #1. Ive personally never been blown away from Wiseman, I feel like someone with his natural gifts should be far more dominant than what he has showed. I just trust Cole's overall package more than anything else any other players is currently bringing. Put it one way, I think any freshman has a chance to play his way up to the #1 pick in this draft. Just right now I trust Cole the most to show out.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#517 » by Marcus » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:25 pm

from the collegiate side outside of Cole and Wiseman (and Scottie Lewis for Clyde) who else are you guys interested in watching this year?

I'm still not sure about that Precious Wiseman combo cause I know Precious likes to get his and I wonder how that plays out next to Wiseman. Who else peaks intrigue for you guys?

edit: lemme add Vern Carey to my list.
Watch More Basketball

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,310

Post#518 » by clyde21 » Wed Oct 2, 2019 10:39 pm

for freshmen Tyrese Maxey and Bryan Antoine

for soph Isaiah Joe and Joe Wieskamp
marco102
Junior
And1: 717

Post#519 » by marco102 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 2:58 am

I'm interested in Tre Mann. To me he's one of the more skilled guards in this class and it's weird that he's not ranked.

Lamelo Ball & RJ Hampton - Just to see how these guys play against grown men.

Anthony Edwards - GA connection (I'm a Hawks fan).

James Wiseman - Think he'll fit perfectly with the Hawks young core.

Vernon Carey - I think he's a top ten talent.
I'm working with my firm to assist small businesses apply for the stimulus assistance. If you're interested please pm.
We are also offering a cashflow bootcamp for small businesses (https://www.aprio.com/whatsnext/covid-19-cash-flow-bootcamp/ ).
No-Man
RealGM

Post#520 » by No-Man » Thu Oct 3, 2019 7:58 am

Marcus wrote:
Fischella wrote:
Marcus wrote:

what does Cole bring to the table that gives him the edge for you?

athleticism+pull-up package with solid enough decision making, he has a weird looking jumper but his statistical production is pretty much insane, he has the makings of an elite shooter and has real hops

Return to NBA Draft