Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,496

Re: Alperen Şengün 

Post#541 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:Image

I think Sertac Sanli is a legit 7 footer. And here is Sengün next to him. Number 9 and 14 are both listed as 6'9. At this point, anything below 6'9 without shoes would surprise me.

Hold up. Hold up. #21 is listed as 6'11". I mean he's clearly several inches taller than Sengun.

What are we even talking about? :lol:

#21 is Sertac Sanli.

He's listed at 7-0 1/4 barefoot. He is 2.14 meters without shoes on, per current listings from Turkish national team and FIBA.

http://www.fiba.basketball/eurobasket/2022/qualifiers/player/Sertac-Sanli

Sertac SANLI
Height:
214cm / 7'0"

So he's probably 7-1 or 7-2 in shoes. At the EuroLeague Final Four, he was about the same height as Pau Gasol, or maybe an inch shorter. Pau was supposedly measured at 7-1 barefoot when the NBA did those measurements recently.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#542 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:54 pm

Omer Yurtseven is listed at 7-0 by the NBA:

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1630209/career/

Omer
Yurtseven
HEIGHT
7'0" (2.13m)

Again, in this video clip, Omer Yurtseven is playing with Turkey, wearing #77 in red. Him and Sengun (#23 in red) are on the floor at the same time.

At the 7:04 mark of the video, they stand right next to each other and touch hands. If Sengun is "undersized for the NBA", then so is Yurtseven, who is listed at 7-0.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#543 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:09 pm

EvanZ wrote:Sengun is no more than 6'9" barefoot. He's listed at 6'9". There's no reason not to believe that measurement. NONE.

Sengun's most recent height listing was 207 cm barefoot, which equals 6-9 1/2 barefoot. Eurospects uses the latest measurements from the national federations and player promos from FIBA tournaments. They have Sengun at 6-9 1/2 barefoot, from the 2019 Europe under-18 championship, which was in July 2019.

https://eurospects.com/player/alperen-sengun/

Alperen Sengun

Height: 207cm - 6’9’’

In the NBA, with in shoes height listings rules, someone that is 6-9 1/2 barefoot, would be listed at 6-11 using in shoes height listings. While under NBA barefoot height listings rules, they add up for anything half an inch or over. So someone that measured at 6-9 1/2 barefoot, would be listed at 6-10 by the NBA, even when using a without shoes listing.

In this thread, numerous posters have named all of the NBA centers that are around that general size, and in this current NBA playoffs, numerous teams were playing centers that are in that size range or smaller. I just don't see how this whole "he's undersized for the NBA" argument has taken off so much.
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,651

Post#544 » by peZt » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm

Can we stop arguing about his size please. Jesus it's the most boring 28 page thread ever
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,347

Post#545 » by Hal14 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:25 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Sengun is no more than 6'9" barefoot. He's listed at 6'9". There's no reason not to believe that measurement. NONE.

Sengun's most recent height listing was 207 cm barefoot, which equals 6-9 1/2 barefoot. Eurospects uses the latest measurements from the national federations and player promos from FIBA tournaments. They have Sengun at 6-9 1/2 barefoot, from the 2019 Europe under-18 championship, which was in July 2019.

https://eurospects.com/player/alperen-sengun/

Alperen Sengun

Height: 207cm - 6’9’’

In the NBA, with in shoes height listings rules, someone that is 6-9 1/2 barefoot, would be listed at 6-11 using in shoes height listings. While under NBA barefoot height listings rules, they add up for anything half an inch or over. So someone that measured at 6-9 1/2 barefoot, would be listed at 6-10 by the NBA, even when using a without shoes listing.

In this thread, numerous posters have named all of the NBA centers that are around that general size, and in the this current NBA playoffs, numerous teams were playing centers in that are in that size range or smaller. I just don't see how this whole "he's undersized for the NBA" argument has taken off so much.

this article says they changed the rule to be NBA official listed heights are without shoes though

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-nba-player-true-heights-without-shoes-20191018-ctfvnt2rrjgipkhkoq2dbdfwya-story.html
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#546 » by Mirotic12 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:57 pm

Hal14 wrote:this article says they changed the rule to be NBA official listed heights are without shoes though

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/nets/ny-nba-player-true-heights-without-shoes-20191018-ctfvnt2rrjgipkhkoq2dbdfwya-story.html

Right, so 6-9 1/2 barefoot would be listed at 6-10 barefoot in the NBA, and not 6-11 "in shoes". But the claim they are only using heights without shoes doesn't even hold up under scrutiny. If you look through the draft measurements, you can see that they are still listing a lot of players by their in shoe heights. I mean they list Ben Simmons at 6-11, and he has one measurement at 6-8 1/2 without shoes and one at 6-9 1/2 without shoes (probably just the difference in time of day).......so there is no way in hell he's 6-11 barefoot. There are more such examples.

So if Sengun is 6-9 1/2 barefoot, he would be listed at either 6-10 in the NBA, his barefoot height rounded up half an inch, or at 6-11 in the NBA, about his in shoes height, as plenty of players are still listed that way.

So let's just say 6-10, the half an inch rounded up, and listed without shoes. That's really not "undersized" based on comparing it to the actual heights of other NBA centers.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,429

Post#547 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:09 am

peZt wrote:Can we stop arguing about his size please. Jesus it's the most boring 28 page thread ever

Exactly!

I read Hollinger's latest article, that has Şengün #4 on his big board. I've had him in the late lottery of my recent mocks based on his production and highlight videos, but I really need to learn more about this dude if he's got a legit shot to go this high.

I'm not going to read through pages of height debate, though. Could someone give me a fresh summary of Alperen? Strengths, weaknesses, comps, team fits etc?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
KayAllTheWaay
Sophomore
And1: 5

Post#548 » by KayAllTheWaay » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:50 am

Strengths:
Seems to have Magic hands around the rim, converts at a high percentage near the rim

high bbiq - high steal percentage and high fg% as a big is an indication for good bbiq

Very Young - He is still 18/19

Can perform against grown men - he won an MVP of one of the better european leagues of Europe at 18

Good passer for a big
Weaknesses:
3pt - he seems to have a good shooting Touch (high ft%) but it didnt translate into 3pt shooting (yet?)

May be too slow for a Defense that switches a lot

Is sneakily athletic, but maybe not enough to be more than a role Player of the bench

I think him Not being as quick as a Kai Jones or Isaiah Jackson are the biggest hold ups

Best Comp i can come Up with: Sabonis oder maybe a little of horford.
Not perfect comps, but there is no perfect comparison
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,740

Post#549 » by Yallbecrazy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:54 pm

KayAllTheWaay wrote:Strengths:
Seems to have Magic hands around the rim, converts at a high percentage near the rim

high bbiq - high steal percentage and high fg% as a big is an indication for good bbiq

Very Young - He is still 18/19

Can perform against grown men - he won an MVP of one of the better european leagues of Europe at 18

Good passer for a big
Weaknesses:
3pt - he seems to have a good shooting Touch (high ft%) but it didnt translate into 3pt shooting (yet?)

May be too slow for a Defense that switches a lot

Is sneakily athletic, but maybe not enough to be more than a role Player of the bench

I think him Not being as quick as a Kai Jones or Isaiah Jackson are the biggest hold ups

Best Comp i can come Up with: Sabonis oder maybe a little of horford.
Not perfect comps, but there is no perfect comparison

This was good, but I think more needs to be said of just how special he is in the post with his post game and touch around the rim, plus he can pass well to exploit double teams.

The main weakness is his PnR defense as he seems to have to drop a lot due to slower feet on the perimeter and he isn't tall, long enough to protect the rim when he does drop. He does have excellent reaction times/anticipation/basketball IQ and a decent vertical to get a fair amount of blocks and really good steal numbers for a big especially against the competition he faced.

His team got blown out all 3 times they played the Euroleague champion in their domestic semi finals (expected) and according to box scores he had a terrible game 1, a mediocre game 2, and an excellent game 3.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,241

Post#550 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:22 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
peZt wrote:Can we stop arguing about his size please. Jesus it's the most boring 28 page thread ever

Exactly!

I read Hollinger's latest article, that has Şengün #4 on his big board. I've had him in the late lottery of my recent mocks based on his production and highlight videos, but I really need to learn more about this dude if he's got a legit shot to go this high.

I'm not going to read through pages of height debate, though. Could someone give me a fresh summary of Alperen? Strengths, weaknesses, comps, team fits etc?

It's basketball man. Height is kind of a big deal.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,347

Post#551 » by Hal14 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:49 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

Exactly!

1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 22,027

Post#552 » by ATLTimekeeper » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:54 pm

EvanZ wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Exactly!

It's basketball man. Height is kind of a big deal.

He's not 5"8. He's NBA basketball player-sized. It gets a little boring speculating on whether he has that extra inch or not that apparently dictates whether he'll be good or bad, as if the entire history of draft mistakes are predicated on a small range of height and length outcomes.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#553 » by Roger Murdock » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm

The list of players to be as productive as he is at his age in a European league and to suck in the NBA is 0 names long

In general having a combination of high assists, high steals, high blocks virtually always translates to high level nba production. In addition to that his scoring inside (translatable), FT rate and FT% (incredibly translatable) and rebounding rate (highly translatable)

If you don’t like him as a prospect you basically have to be banking on him failing in a manner nobody else has
machu46
RealGM
And1: 3,724

Post#554 » by machu46 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:45 pm

He's #6 on my big board at the moment. I am a little bit nervous about how his post game will translate in the NBA just because he gets so little elevation on his post shots. Having said that though, his array of moves is just insanely advanced for his age and he's so good at getting defenders off balance and drawing fouls. I THINK it's going to translate but I just want to see it. There's a world in which a team's offense could be built around his skills IMO.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Clawed
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#555 » by Clawed » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:06 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:The list of players to be as productive as he is at his age in a European league and to suck in the NBA is 0 names long

I am just curious who are some other examples of this. We all know about Doncic. Has there been teen MVP's or near MVP caliber in ABA, ACB, or other European leagues? The only sample size I know is Doncic and Euroleague. Maybe Luis Scola if you include a little older but even he didn't have as good stats. I am even having a hard time finding people in Europe as productive as Filip Petrusev or Roko from the past because I think they both have been really productive as well for their age but are overshadowed by Alperen. To me in terms of young production in Europe Luka is tier 1 on his own, Alperen is tier 2 on his own and every other example I can think of is not on Alperens level.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 392

Post#556 » by pad300 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:24 pm

Clawed wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:The list of players to be as productive as he is at his age in a European league and to suck in the NBA is 0 names long

I am just curious who are some other examples of this. We all know about Doncic. Has there been teen MVP's or near MVP caliber in ABA, ACB, or other European leagues? The only sample size I know is Doncic and Euroleague. Maybe Luis Scola if you include a little older but even he didn't have as good stats. I am even having a hard time finding people in Europe as productive as Filip Petrusev or Roko from the past because I think they both have been really productive as well for their age but are overshadowed by Alperen. To me in terms of young production in Europe Luka is tier 1 on his own, Alperen is tier 2 on his own and every other example I can think of is not on Alperens level.

The only other prospect that I can think of who won a men's league MVP is Deni Avdija. The israeli league is much weaker than the Turkish league. Also, IIRC, that seemed pretty sketchy, more of a marketing move by the league. He wasn't really near the top of the league in pretty much anything.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#557 » by bbms » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:44 pm

His defensive weakness doesn't come from lack of athleticism or quickness. He has a bit of happy feet. Easily correctable.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,839

Post#558 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:50 pm

His height/reach is definitely what makes or breaks him for me. 6’10.5 barefoot/7’2 wingspan and I’m probably taking him 5th in the draft. 6’9 barefoot/6’11 wingspan and I’m probably taking him at the end of the lottery. I realize how rare his production is for his age, but at the end of the day he needs to be NBA center sized for me to be in love with his upside.
greenandgold
Senior
And1: 202

Post#559 » by greenandgold » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:36 pm

Sengun is not getting past Presti at #6. (And OKC in general is going to be making a lot of European investments in this draft. That’s where the value is.)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,007

Post#560 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 pm

He is 5 on my BB. I am a believer. And I dont think his defense will be as big an issue as some are stating. He wont be a switchy savant, but like 3-5 true centers are (Turner, Noel, maybe AD but he is more a PF, Holmes? Capella?). He is going to be a surprisingly good weakside shotblocker and will have the size to hold his own in the post.

On offense he is a savant. The 3PT shot will come.

Return to NBA Draft