Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

KembaWalker
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Re: Cade Cunningham 

Post#61 » by KembaWalker » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:09 am

clyde21 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:he is so slow, i'm not seeing it

he's not slow at all, he's just methodical in his movements because he processes information quickly, very deliberate and doesn't rush, he doesn't need to outrun anyone.

if I had to isolate an issue for him offensively it's his first step, but he's so good with the ball that he'll still have no issues creating space.

he's very slow, he struggled standing out athletically against UT Arlington and Texas Southern
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,173

Post#62 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:24 am

KembaWalker wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

he's not slow at all, he's just methodical in his movements because he processes information quickly, very deliberate and doesn't rush, he doesn't need to outrun anyone.

if I had to isolate an issue for him offensively it's his first step, but he's so good with the ball that he'll still have no issues creating space.

he's very slow, he struggled standing out athletically against UT Arlington and Texas Southern

Is pure speed and athlecism the only metric on which you judge a prospect?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,415

Post#63 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:37 am

KembaWalker wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I mean you can say the same about Luka, Luka isnt a stand out when it comes to speed or explosion. Cade is such a great prospect because he plays the game at his own speed, and he finds ways to get wherever he wants. Plus he isnt a bad athlete either, he just plays with a more methodical pace.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#64 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 1, 2020 12:49 am

I get the concern with the athleticism, I've had the same questions myself. But looking at everything else he brings to the table there's no way I call that a deal breaker when it comes to Cade. Just IQ alone gives you a ton to work with. The rest can be developed and tweaked for the next level.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,644

Post#65 » by clyde21 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:14 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
clyde21 wrote:thoughts after first couple of games?

As someone who'd only seen his highlights before the college season, I've had to adjust my expectations somewhat. They aren't lower, just different. Cade isn't explosive from a standstill, first step-wise or vertically. The fact he didn't drive past defenders threw me in the UT Arlington game. But he's so fluid that he can take any angle at any time. That's a harder quality to appreciate, especially on a crowded college floor with mediocre teammates, so it took me a sec' to catch up to it.

My way, way, way too early judgment is that he's comfortably #1 but it isn't bullet-proof. I'm not sure Suggs can be explosive enough or exciting enough to overcome the fact Cade's 6'7", and no one else in college has entered the #1 convo yet. I haven't seen Green and Kuminga, obv, so I'm holding off judgment there.

In the multi-class picture, he strikes me as a worse prospect than both Luka and Zion. His "it" is more subtle than those guys' it, and probably less impactful too.

i think that's fair -- he was never #1 for me even coming out of HS but I'd have no qualms about someone taking him #1, overall physical profile is plenty adequate for the NBA at that position and combine that with the shooting, on-ball creation and BBIQ with his size and I don't think the fact that he's not overly explosive or sudden matters.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,631

Post#66 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:26 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

I mean you can say the same about Luka, Luka isnt a stand out when it comes to speed or explosion. Cade is such a great prospect because he plays the game at his own speed, and he finds ways to get wherever he wants. Plus he isnt a bad athlete either, he just plays with a more methodical pace.

I’m not sure those of us who’ve only watched him in college have seen an uncanny ability to slow the game down or manipulate the half court yet. He goes at his own pace for sure, but that Luka thing where he freezes the defense because they have to guard the shot, dribble, and multiple passing angles at once hasn’t totally manifested. At least not as far as I can see. I’m open to hearing a different perspective.

The open court is a different story. He’s so coordinated he makes defenders look like they’re standing still. It’s silly.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,859

Post#67 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Dec 1, 2020 4:14 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:

I’m not sure those of us who’ve only watched him in college have seen an uncanny ability to slow the game down or manipulate the half court yet. He goes at his own pace for sure, but that Luka thing where he freezes the defense because they have to guard the shot, dribble, and multiple passing angles at once hasn’t totally manifested. At least not as far as I can see. I’m open to hearing a different perspective.

The open court is a different story. He’s so coordinated he makes defenders look like they’re standing still. It’s silly.

yeah, it's called palming or a carry. It's illegal. And that's how he's freezing defenders lmao.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,327

Post#68 » by The-Power » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:08 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:yeah, it's called palming or a carry. It's illegal. And that's how he's freezing defenders lmao.

Big Board June 2018

BostonCouchGM wrote:Michael Porter Jr.
Bamba
Ayton
Bagley
Robinson
JJJ
Miles Bridges
Anfernee Simons
Isaac Bonga
Shai Gileous-Alexander
Zhaire Smith
Mikal Bridges
Wendell Carter
Elie Okobo
Luka Doncic
Trae Young

Ouch. It seems Luka's (and Trae's) success still really hurts.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#69 » by Marcus » Tue Dec 1, 2020 10:08 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I mean you can say the same about Luka, Luka isnt a stand out when it comes to speed or explosion. Cade is such a great prospect because he plays the game at his own speed, and he finds ways to get wherever he wants. Plus he isnt a bad athlete either, he just plays with a more methodical pace.

yeah, it's called palming or a carry. It's illegal. And that's how he's freezing defenders lmao.

Think he's referring to the attention Luka draws just by getting a touch. The defense sits in reactive mode waiting to see how Luka decides to dissect on each possession. Cade hasn't done that yet but I do think it's coming. Might be something we see more of in conference play once he's more aware of what he has to work with team wise.
Watch More Basketball

namlede
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#70 » by namlede » Sun Dec 6, 2020 3:19 am

I think in his prime he is going to be like a mini LeBron imo. High praise I know, but just watching him you see an all around beast that is still really raw. He may not have great athleticism but don't let that fool you to think his ceiling isn't high. I think it's as high as anyone in the draft. You see glimpses of dribble moves, finishes around the rim, bully ball in the paint, fade away, 3 point shooting, rebounding, defense, leadership, grit, smarts...

Sent from my Pixel 2 using RealGM mobile app
MemphisX
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,672

Post#71 » by MemphisX » Sun Dec 6, 2020 4:23 am

When it comes to sorting prospects, a primary ball handler with elite size is damn near at the top of the pecking order. The thing that separates him from LeBron is the added elite athleticism. I like the Jalens and Mobley but Cade would be hard to pass up especially after what I expect Luka to do in the league this season.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
KembaWalker
RealGM

Post#72 » by KembaWalker » Sun Dec 6, 2020 5:29 pm

We just had a 6'8" guy with all around game, point forward potential and mid tier athleticism in this past draft. His name is Deni Avidja, he played in a way tougher league than NCAA games against Oakland and he still slid to 9th
clyde21
RealGM

Post#73 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 5:31 pm

lol @ comparing Deni to Cade
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#74 » by Marcus » Sun Dec 6, 2020 5:55 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol @ comparing Deni to Cade

Reminds me of those "why take Ben Simmons when you already have Dario Saric coming over" convos i used to see
Watch More Basketball

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 22,229

Post#75 » by MotownMadness » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:03 pm

I'm definitely feeling better about him. He just makes things look so smooth and under control. Could see him being a great floor general especially with how vocal he is.

Wonder how a Cade and Hayes backcourt would look after we see how Kayes does this year off the ball but that's two great playmakers in the back court who find ways to create offense
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,631

Post#76 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:07 pm

I love how he grinds on both ends with one good basketball play after another until his teammates catch up or the other team cracks. But for the sake of comparison to other bona dude #1s (Luka, Zion), you’d love to see him take over a game in all phases, including scoring. That 16-2 run against Oakland was a pretty good step in that direction. I think we’ll see it, but it might take another 5-10 games. He’a not forcing a thing out there.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 22,229

Post#77 » by MotownMadness » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:15 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I love how he grinds on both ends with one good basketball play after another until his teammates catch up or the other team cracks. But for the sake of comparison to other bona dude #1s (Luka, Zion), you’d love to see him take over a game in all phases, including scoring. That 16-2 run against Oakland was a pretty good step in that direction. I think we’ll see it, but it might take another 5-10 games. He’a not forcing a thing out there.

Is he almost waiting for everyone else to get caught up in position slowing himself down
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#78 » by Marcus » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:25 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I love how he grinds on both ends with one good basketball play after another until his teammates catch up or the other team cracks. But for the sake of comparison to other bona dude #1s (Luka, Zion), you’d love to see him take over a game in all phases, including scoring. That 16-2 run against Oakland was a pretty good step in that direction. I think we’ll see it, but it might take another 5-10 games. He’a not forcing a thing out there.

Is he almost waiting for everyone else to get caught up in position slowing himself down

Think he understands the link of all being on one accord leading to max effort on both ends and his body language on those runs screams pure joy in the success of his teammates. Watch him immediately give props to defensive effort and hustle and he's more up for a teammate hitting a open jumper than he is for himself.
Watch More Basketball

clyde21
RealGM

Post#79 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:28 pm

MotownMadness wrote:I'm definitely feeling better about him. He just makes things look so smooth and under control. Could see him being a great floor general especially with how vocal he is.

Wonder how a Cade and Hayes backcourt would look after we see how Kayes does this year off the ball but that's two great playmakers in the back court who find ways to create offense

love how u just combined both names here :lol:
KembaWalker
RealGM

Post#80 » by KembaWalker » Sun Dec 6, 2020 6:29 pm

clyde21 wrote:lol @ comparing Deni to Cade

You'll figure it out eventually, people are in the blind honeymoon phase on this dude still and it's really funny. Not even a single post in here about his flaring elbow and inconsistent shot mechanics

Return to NBA Draft