Flynn - Jennings Sacto Interview (BJ calls Rubio 'ALL HYPE')

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Smills91
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Flynn - Jennings Sacto Interview (BJ calls Rubio 'ALL HYPE') 

Post#61 » by Smills91 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:53 pm

yehyeh82 wrote:I would take 20 yo Kidd everytime over Rubio. There is no way Rubio is quickerr and craftier than Jason Kidd at the same age. Kidd was ridiculous in his younger days.

Maybe, so, but to compare Rubio to a modern day player and the TYPE of game he plays. I don't think it's that far off really. Maybe a less, athletic, flashier J-Kidd. He may be a poor man's version, but STYLE is similar there.
St.Nick
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#62 » by St.Nick » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:59 pm

With the ball in his hands he is Steve Nash re-incarnate. But he plays better defense and can't shoot nearly as well.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,843

Post#63 » by Ayt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:42 pm

St.Nick wrote:With the ball in his hands he is Steve Nash re-incarnate. But he plays better defense and can't shoot nearly as well.

Saying someone is Nash without the jumper makes no sense.
St.Nick
Banned User

Post#64 » by St.Nick » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Ayt wrote:
St.Nick wrote:With the ball in his hands he is Steve Nash re-incarnate. But he plays better defense and can't shoot nearly as well.

No, it does make sense. You just have to think.
Bezerk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#65 » by Bezerk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:41 pm

it's funny how he retracted his statements though. If you think he is overrated why not stand by it?
taj2133
General Manager
And1: 2,972

Post#66 » by taj2133 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Ricky Rubio stats with dkv joventut aren't that good and I have the links to prove to you guys it is not that good. Ricky rubio first year with dkv joventut he averaged 4 points, 3 assist, and 2 rebounds in 16 games in the 2006-2007 season.http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=LFW
In the 2007- 2008 season Ricky Rubio averaged 8 points, 5 assist, and 3 rebounds he started 10 games that season.http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=LFW
In ricky rubio third season he only played 5 games and averaged 2 points, 3 assist, and 2 board the reason why he played 5 games is because he broke his wrist.
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=LFW.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,493

Post#67 » by Foye » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:48 pm

Jennings is really dumb. He should focus on basketball more instead of talking trash. He can do that once he has shown on court that he is better than Rubio.

Still, Rubio is overrated heavily on this board but I don't think he's overrated in general. To me, he's the clear number #2 prospect behind Griffin. Harden was too bad in the NCAA tournament to be considered a better prospect and Thabeet lacks an offensive game and does not have the physical strength to succeed as a great C in the nba in the near future.
Joana
Banned User

Post#68 » by Joana » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:03 am

taj2133 wrote:Ricky Rubio stats with dkv joventut aren't that good and I have the links to prove to you guys it is not that good. Ricky rubio first year with dkv joventut he averaged 4 points, 3 assist, and 2 rebounds in 16 games in the 2006-2007 season.http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=LFW
In the 2007- 2008 season Ricky Rubio averaged 8 points, 5 assist, and 3 rebounds he started 10 games that season.http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=LFW
In ricky rubio third season he only played 5 games and averaged 2 points, 3 assist, and 2 board the reason why he played 5 games is because he broke his wrist.

The problem is that Jennings wasn't even good enough to crack the playoff rotation of his team. I also think that Rubio is overhyped, but Jennings should be like the last guy saying that. Plus, in spite of being overhyped, Rubio was by far the player in this draft that has proved more playing at a high level (the ACB).

Plus, if you think that 8/5/3 in the 07/08 season wasn't good, it's because you aren't very familiar with the European game. 5 assists are no big deal in the NBA, but in that competition, the leader in APG averaged 6.5 - and he played 34 minutes per game, versus 20 mpg from Rubio.
wushui
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#69 » by wushui » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:11 am

I wouldn't say Rubio is Nash re-incarnate -- you even negated that statement with your last sentence -- but I agree that they have the same phenomenal court vision and uncanny passing abilities. But as you mentioned, Rubio plays much better defense and isn't a world class shooter like Nash. Rubio is also a bit quicker and a little more athletic, and he is lankier and has longer arms (a major component of his defense). His long arms and his ball handling is actually more reminiscient of of T-mac (who also has wide wing span) and his handles than Steve Nash's I think.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#70 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:45 am

taj2133 wrote:Ricky Rubio stats with dkv joventut aren't that good and I have the links to prove to you guys it is not that good. Ricky rubio first year with dkv joventut he averaged 4 points, 3 assist, and 2 rebounds in 16 games in the 2006-2007 season.http://www.euroleague.net/competition/p ... &pcode=LFW

The second season is not a Euroleague season. Just to let you know. He only has 2 Euroleague seasons in his career, not 3.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#71 » by KWSN-Men » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:47 am

Joana wrote:

The problem is that Jennings wasn't even good enough to crack the playoff rotation of his team. I also think that Rubio is overhyped, but Jennings should be like the last guy saying that. Plus, in spite of being overhyped, Rubio was by far the player in this draft that has proved more playing at a high level (the ACB).

Plus, if you think that 8/5/3 in the 07/08 season wasn't good, it's because you aren't very familiar with the European game. 5 assists are no big deal in the NBA, but in that competition, the leader in APG averaged 6.5 - and he played 34 minutes per game, versus 20 mpg from Rubio.

Very true, however the 07-08 season was in the second level division, not the Euroleague. The Eurocup is nowhere near the level of the Euroleague.
call.me.dude
Rookie
And1: 12

Post#72 » by call.me.dude » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:01 pm

yehyeh82 wrote:There is no way Rubio is quickerr and craftier than Jason Kidd at the same age. Kidd was ridiculous in his younger days.

Who said he was?
I would say both are very comparable in terms of quickness and craftiness. Rubio has got some good moves and is very crafty with them, going by his defender, using all kinds of crossovers, behind-the-back moves, hesitations, etc.

not saying Rubio definitely is quicker and craftier, but they are very much alike in those aspects of their game.

yehyeh82 wrote:I would take 20 yo Kidd everytime over Rubio.

First off all, Kidd is a legend, a future HOFer, we all know how he turned out. Of course you prefer a guy that you know is gonna become great.
I'm not saying Rubio will be as good as Kidd and to be honest I don't think he will (although he will be comparable and not much worse IMO), but Rubio is only 18 1/2 years old. You said you'd take 20 yo Kidd everytime over him. I say why don't we wait another 1 1/2 years to judge that? What if he develops into a solid shooter, fills out a bit or improves his athleticism?
YiJiLi wrote:Raymond Felton is better than TP...
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#73 » by NetsForce » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:58 pm

If Ricky Scooby Dooby Rubio came out with these comments people would be hyping up his competitive spirit. Yeah okay, nice double-standards. Jennings is going to RIDE on Rubio.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#74 » by Rasho Brezec » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:13 pm

Rubio would never say anything like this, because he's smart.
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#75 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:22 pm

yehyeh82 wrote:I would take 20 yo Kidd everytime over Rubio. There is no way Rubio is quickerr and craftier than Jason Kidd at the same age. Kidd was ridiculous in his younger days.

Kidd is still a great PG IMO even now when he's way past his prime athletically. Why can't Rubio be effective like a post knee injury Kidd has? Rubio is 18 and has plenty of room to fill out physically. His pull up jump shot mechanics have improved this year IMO, so I don't think he's as limited shooting wise as everyone makes him out to be, I think he has realistic room to improve.
EddieJonesFan
Starter

Post#76 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:26 pm

Ayt wrote:

Athletically they're very similar, they both have great change of pace/direction, excellent body control, and sneaky quickness. Obviously both have great vision, they're ambidextrous, and have excellent passing ability (especially in the pick and roll). There are aspects about their game that are remarkably similar and that's worthy of mentioning. I happen to think Rubio is far more advanced of a playmaker than Nash was at his age, and even at the point he was drafted.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,923

Post#77 » by gswhoops » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:26 pm

Smills91 wrote:I think Jennings ceiling AND basement reside at #7.

I sure hope so.

I find it a bit amusing that a Warriors fan and a Warriors hater both want us to take the same player :D
EddieJonesFan
Starter

Post#78 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:44 pm

Jennings just seems more and more like a Marbury/Iverson type player without as much talent. Just a guy who sucks up the ball, chucks up shots, and plays towards stats. He's got all the talent to be a great PG, but none of the grey matter to. Just listen to his interviews, he seems to be way too focused on stats and box scores.
Mumbles
Bench Warmer
And1: 223

Post#79 » by Mumbles » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:58 pm

EddieJonesFan wrote:

His pull up jump shot mechanics have improved this year IMO, so I don't think he's as limited shooting wise as everyone makes him out to be, I think he has realistic room to improve.

There are not many players in this draft who do not have a lot of room to improve. Which is why I find it funny when some are giving themselves absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever in the event that Jennings actually becomes something other than complete trash..which is what some want to make him out to be. What if Brandon actually..um..(gasp) improves? What if he builds on his pro experience by improving his floor game and tightening up his shot? Then we're talking all-star potential. Dude has questions, and he struggled in Europe..we know this, yet there has to be a grey area somewhere. I see super upside.

As far as Rubio..comparing him to Nash without the J makes sense..but then it gets to a point like..well who are we exactly describing then? A better Nick Calathes? :lol: I mean really they both have similar size, jumpshots, both are known for their superior floor games and passing. Rubio's a little quicker but that is what I might go with lol.

Overhyped, what he did in Europe as a teenager is admirable, but he's getting phenom type hype. I really think putting him in the phenom class of a can't miss Lebron/Yao typeprospect is setting him up for failure. The point guard position is just too deep, a phenom goes number one no matter who is in he draft. I just see him as another great young pg prospect, but not in another class by himself. So he played at pro ball at 14? So what, D-Rose played one year of college and beasted out in the NBA, I don't care about that. So he had a couple of good plays vs Kidd and didn't completely crap himself vs Paul and Williams..I saw the young Chinese PG take Kobe coast to coast in the first Olympic game, is he the second coming?

Jennings was right of course, he just needs to take care of his own ish instead of hurting Rubio fanboys' feelings.
EddieJonesFan
Starter

Post#80 » by EddieJonesFan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Mumbles wrote:
EddieJonesFan wrote:

His pull up jump shot mechanics have improved this year IMO, so I don't think he's as limited shooting wise as everyone makes him out to be, I think he has realistic room to improve.

There are not many players in this draft who do not have a lot of room to improve. Which is why I find it funny when some are giving themselves absolutely no wiggle room whatsoever in the event that Jennings actually becomes something other than complete trash..which is what some want to make him out to be. What if Brandon actually..um..(gasp) improves? What if he builds on his pro experience by improving his floor game and tightening up his shot? Then we're talking all-star potential. Dude has questions, and he struggled in Europe..we know this, yet there has to be a grey area somewhere. I see super upside.

As far as Rubio..comparing him to Nash without the J makes sense..but then it gets to a point like..well who are we exactly describing then? A better Nick Calathes? :lol: I mean really they both have similar size, jumpshots, both are known for their superior floor games and passing. Rubio's a little quicker but that is what I might go with lol.

Overhyped, what he did in Europe as a teenager is admirable, but he's getting phenom type hype. I really think putting him in the phenom class of a can't miss Lebron/Yao typeprospect is setting him up for failure. The point guard position is just too deep, a phenom goes number one no matter who is in he draft. I just see him as another great young pg prospect, but not in another class by himself. So he played at pro ball at 14? So what, D-Rose played one year of college and beasted out in the NBA, I don't care about that. So he had a couple of good plays vs Kidd and didn't completely crap himself vs Paul and Williams..I saw the young Chinese PG take Kobe coast to coast in the first Olympic game, is he the second coming?

Jennings was right of course, he just needs to take care of his own ish instead of hurting Rubio fanboys' feelings.

Shooting is the easiest skill to develop in the NBA, knowing how to run an offense however is not an easy thing to develop at all, and it takes a great mental maturity and work ethic to learn even if you're going to. Like a previous poster said, for all Marbury's talent he never learned how to run an offense and that's why he never won anything, he just put up a bunch of empty stats. He was a great 1-on-1 player, but not so great that it could justify his ball dominating style of play; Iverson borders on it being justifiable but still his career has been extremely disappointing as well, the effect of the Billups/Iverson trade is an example of how his style can seriously hinder a team. Jennings is in the same boat as far as I'm concerned and his skills aren't at Marbury's level at the same point in their careers. I mean, there is no way to conclusively predict whether Jennings will end up playing a black hole style PG game like Marbury, he could mature in another direction completely, but there are too many red flags saying otherwise that makes him a very risky guy to take. Still, he's a top 10 prospect in this draft IMO.

I'm certainly not arguing Jennings' upside, he has tremendous upside, but upside is meaningless unless you think he has the intangibles to develop his skills and add a lot more discipline, unselfishness and intelligence to his game. Until he does those things he's just another Sebastian Telfair, maybe Nick Van Exel if he develops his shooting.

There are also things that Rubio does better than Nash, by age he is far more advanced of a playmaker than Nash was, especially in the half-court offense. He's taller, longer, and has better lateral quickness. The comparison to Calathes is too ridiculous to even address.

Look, I don't know how other people are hyping Rubio, I don't really pay that close attention to that type of stuff. I certaintly would never say he's a can't miss prospect, there are things about his game that definitely concern me, but personally, if I had the no.1 pick in this draft and no future star PG on my team, I take Rubio. He's not a can't miss, but I think he's the best prospect in the draft, not by a great margin, but still, in the end, the best. So take that for what it's worth.

Return to NBA Draft