Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,175

Re: 2019 Draft Class 

Post#681 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:46 pm

paulbball wrote:Very ugly Duke vs San Diego State game.

Many terrible college only calls. All 4 of these offensive fouls on Duke would be defensive fouls in the NBA.

Cam added some beauty to it with his two jumpers.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#682 » by JHTruth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:04 pm

Many terrible college only calls. All 4 of these offensive fouls on Duke would be defensive fouls in the NBA.

Starting to see some of the challenges Zion will have in the association. Jumper is very slow, winds up for a year. Length really bothers him.

Cam's defense is very passive. Barrett is not spectacular but very good.

Talent starting to overwhelm SDSU.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#683 » by JHTruth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:06 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Just watched the 20 min recap Frankie Vision posted of Doumbouya. All highlights of shots.

Man, he looks straight out trash sometimes
- Takes way to many contested shots
- His stance is bad most of his shots
- Doesn't follow through his shot
- His missed shots are ugly
- Loose hands, stripped to many times
- No creativity driving, jumps straight into center bodies
- Looks lost on offense sometimes, no clear understanding of positioning

But other sequences he looks like a different player
- Some really nice spin moves and eurosteps
- Open shots are beautiful, makes them swish
- Uses wingspan to extend layup off the centers reach
- Runs the floor well

Just too polarizing, he looks too many times like he does not even know what sport he is playing. If this is the way he plays this year, he is in the 15-20 range, too much of a crapshot in his 5-6 years development.

Yep. Too many draftniks seem to think of him in the Doncic mold, a great European player that has plenty of development ahead.

I could easily seem him dropping out of the lottery..
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM
And1: 28,365

Post#684 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:11 pm

JHTruth wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:Just watched the 20 min recap Frankie Vision posted of Doumbouya. All highlights of shots.

Man, he looks straight out trash sometimes
- Takes way to many contested shots
- His stance is bad most of his shots
- Doesn't follow through his shot
- His missed shots are ugly
- Loose hands, stripped to many times
- No creativity driving, jumps straight into center bodies
- Looks lost on offense sometimes, no clear understanding of positioning

But other sequences he looks like a different player
- Some really nice spin moves and eurosteps
- Open shots are beautiful, makes them swish
- Uses wingspan to extend layup off the centers reach
- Runs the floor well

Just too polarizing, he looks too many times like he does not even know what sport he is playing. If this is the way he plays this year, he is in the 15-20 range, too much of a crapshot in his 5-6 years development.

Yep. Too many draftniks seem to think of him in the Doncic mold, a great European player that has plenty of development ahead.

I could easily seem him dropping out of the lottery..

Not sure who you're reading, but I haven't seen any draftnik say he's anything close to Doncic mold. Everyone has said he's a major raw/developmental player who requires a lot of work. I haven't been high on him since the hype started after the U18s, and after watching his games this year + all of his individual Synergy clips, I remain low on him.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#685 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:12 pm

JHTruth wrote:

Starting to see some of the challenges Zion will have in the association. Jumper is very slow, winds up for a year. Length really bothers him.

could see some of that in the EMU game. He rushed a couple of attacks when he caught it at the line against the zone and he got caught in the air with nowhere to go. Also still isn't boxing out. long ways to go with fundamentals and some of his decision making. Which speaks volumes about how good he can be seeing what he already brings to an NBA table right now. I haven't had a chance to check out this SDSU game but I will chime in when I do watch it later.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#686 » by JHTruth » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:14 pm

Marcus wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

could see some of that in the EMU game. He rushed a couple of attacks when he caught it at the line against the zone and he got caught in the air with nowhere to go. Also still isn't boxing out. long ways to go with fundamentals and some of his decision making. Which speaks volumes about how good he can be seeing what he already brings to an NBA table right now. I haven't had a chance to check out this SDSU game but I will chime in when I do watch it later.

SDSU has a guy Mensah who's really long and he has Zion completely befuddled. In foul trouble on the bench with 5 points..
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#687 » by Marcus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:18 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Marcus wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

SDSU has a guy Mensah who's really long and he has Zion completely befuddled. In foul trouble on the bench with 5 points..

Easy bro, just said i was going to watch it later.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#688 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:23 pm

SDSU is always a good athletic defense. It's clear as day that they're forcing Duke to take jumpers. There is 0 spacing for Duke's offense right now, so not really surprised with Zion's struggles in the first half offensively.

RJ's jumper has looked really good, Cam and Tre have looked good as well.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,757

Post#689 » by nolang1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:01 am

Marcus wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

For all his explosive highlights he tends to be a below-the-rim finisher if he doesn't have a head of steam built up. Obviously there's more to his game than scoring but I don't see him being a super high volume scorer in the NBA.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#690 » by reanimator » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 am

RJ's lack of acceleration AND shiftiness in the halfcourt is a huge red flag. He did have a pullup that I liked.

Cam with the combination of shooting + finishing people want to see.

Zion had a possession in the first where he jump stopped (killing his momentum) right into 2 defenders and got blocked by McDaniels. Other than that, he got to the rim and finished just fine. Some with sheer strength and some with body control. Knocked down a standstill 3. Vision + shiftiness as a ball handler looks really good.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#691 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:09 am

reanimator wrote:RJ's lack of acceleration AND shiftiness in the halfcourt is a huge red flag.

Zion had a possession in the first where he jump stopped (killing his momentum) right into 2 defenders and got blocked by McDaniels. Other than that, he got to the rim and finished just fine. Some with sheer strength and some with body control. Knocked down a standstill 3. Vision + shiftiness as a ball handler looks really good.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. RJ is strong, no denying that, but he relies on his strength too much and he still has issues finishing at the rim / in the paint.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#692 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:12 am

reanimator wrote:RJ's lack of acceleration AND shiftiness in the halfcourt is a huge red flag. He did have a pullup that I liked.

Agreed with every word. Cam showing off great touch around the rim today. You can tell SDSU really focused their gamelan on stopping Zion. This 2nd half they have doubled him right away every time he has touched it and in the first, they collapsed on him every time. Spacing in the NBA will be very different.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,507

Post#693 » by Funcrusher » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:26 am

nolang1 wrote:
Marcus wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

For all his explosive highlights he tends to be a below-the-rim finisher if he doesn't have a head of steam built up. Obviously there's more to his game than scoring but I don't see him being a super high volume scorer in the NBA.

idk, his finishing seems just fine to me. Crafty with great body control, or can just bulldoze you and create space for a shot. The only thing that slowed him down was reading the double team sometimes and the lack of a clear lane pretty much because San Diego's whole gameplan was to neutralize Zion.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#694 » by GimmeDat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:28 am

I'm conflicted with RJ. He doesn't quite look the part to me, he moves a bit funny, I don't find him to be super fluid, there's no prevailing athleticism nor skill-set qualities that set him apart, but you can't knock the production. I guess it's just the bully ball nature to his game that makes me hesitate.

He's not as productive, but Reddish just looks so much more of a talented and natural basketball player, and while he's not as explosive, he looks a lot smoother on the ball, imo. Obviously the trade off is he's not nearly as aggressive driving to the hoop.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,507

Post#695 » by Funcrusher » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
reanimator wrote:RJ's lack of acceleration AND shiftiness in the halfcourt is a huge red flag. He did have a pullup that I liked.

Agreed with every word. Cam showing off great touch around the rim today. You can tell SDSU really focused their gamelan on stopping Zion. This 2nd half they have doubled him right away every time he has touched it and in the first, they collapsed on him every time. Spacing in the NBA will be very different.

Cam was awesome today, probably impressed me the most out the 3 Dukies. Some of those finishes were just a thing of beauty.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#696 » by CptCrunch » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 am

Terrible performance from the big 3. Tree Jones saving their asses. 26 point game is an embarrassment against SDSU.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#697 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 am

GimmeDat wrote:I'm conflicted with RJ. He doesn't quite look the part to me, he moves a bit funny, I don't find him to be super fluid, there's no prevailing athleticism nor skill-set qualities that set him apart, but you can't knock the production. I guess it's just the bully ball nature to his game that makes me hesitate.

He's not as productive, but Reddish just looks so much more of a talented and natural basketball player, and while he's not as explosive, he looks a lot smoother on the ball, imo. Obviously the trade off is he's not nearly as aggressive driving to the hoop.

RJ is a pretty good straight line athlete. But man he is just so freaking stiff. Add in his high and pretty basic dribble, it really limits his ability to create space in the half court. Cam can jump as high as RJ, but he has no problem creating space because he is so freaking smooth and crafty out on the perimeter.
NBA Fan 1234
RealGM

Post#698 » by NBA Fan 1234 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:36 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:I'm conflicted with RJ. He doesn't quite look the part to me, he moves a bit funny, I don't find him to be super fluid, there's no prevailing athleticism nor skill-set qualities that set him apart, but you can't knock the production. I guess it's just the bully ball nature to his game that makes me hesitate.

RJ is a pretty good straight line athlete. But man he is just so freaking stiff. Add in his high and pretty basic dribble, it really limits his ability to create space in the half court. Cam can jump as high as RJ, but he has no problem creating space because he is so freaking smooth and crafty out on the perimeter.

If RJ had KPjr's wiggle that'd be the #1 pick in the draft. At the very least, there'd be a much better argument than there is now. You think Cam's explosiveness is just at RJ's level? I'd think it's a bit higher, no?

paulbball wrote:Terrible performance from the big 3. Tree Jones saving their asses. 26 point game is an embarrassment against SDSU.

Easily Tre's best game this year, but I wouldn't say Cam had a bad game at all...
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#699 » by Duke4life831 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:54 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

If RJ had KPjr's wiggle that'd be the #1 pick in the draft. At the very least, there'd be a much better argument than there is now. You think Cam's explosiveness is just at RJ's level? I'd think it's a bit higher, no?

paulbball wrote:Terrible performance from the big 3. Tree Jones saving their asses. 26 point game is an embarrassment against SDSU.

Easily Tre's best game this year, but I wouldn't say Cam had a bad game at all...

If RJ has KPJ's wiggle, I'd have him as a lock for #1. And this is coming from the captain of the Zion hype train for the past two years. I think RJ is more explosive than Cam. But because of how stiff RJ is, his explosiveness really isn't functional in game.

I think Tre played great, but the 26 point win doesn't really tell the whole story. Duke was up 30+ with like 8 minutes to go when K called off the dogs and put the bench in. And ya I had no problems with Cam's game today. I thought he looked really well and even competed very well on the boards.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,757

Post#700 » by nolang1 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:11 am

Knickstape1214 wrote:

(I think that's a joke about people nitpicking Duke's top prospects when the team has been steamrolling the opposition)

Return to NBA Draft