Harry Giles

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#81 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:14 am

I think I'd draft him late 1st if I have 2 picks like Utah just because, like at that point who cares.
He goes early 2nd at the very least.
So Jeter is transferring then?

Duval
Jackson-Trent
Kennard-Trent
Knox-DeLaurier
Carter-Bolden

That's basically best case scenario Duke can have then, right? if Knox doesnt committ I guess the likes of Jack White, Vrankovic and O'Connell will get to see the floor.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,824

Post#82 » by SirChurros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Fischella wrote:I think I'd draft him late 1st if I have 2 picks like Utah just because, like at that point who cares.
He goes early 2nd at the very least.
So Jeter is transferring then?

Duval
Jackson-Trent
Kennard-Trent
Knox-DeLaurier
Carter-Bolden

That's basically best case scenario Duke can have then, right? if Knox doesnt committ I guess the likes of Jack White, Vrankovic and O'Connell will get to see the floor.

Yeah, that's pretty close to best-case scenario. Jeter is almost certainly transferring from what I'm hearing, but Bolden leaving is all just rumor/speculation.

I believe K and Co. visited Duval yesterday and are scheduled to visit Knox today and I think it'd be surprising if those guys didn't commit to Duke, but you really never know when it comes to recruitment. Crazier things have happened. I still don't think they're fully out on Bamba, but it's a long shot.

Definitely a good chance they lose Allen, Kennard, Tatum and Giles, but it would not be surprising to see one of Allen or Kennard back at all.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#83 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:41 pm

If I'm Bamba I'd go to Duke thousands times before I even think about playing for Cal at UK with none spacing whatsoever.
Bamba would likely start over Bolden, heck Bolden might even leave.
Derento
Junior
And1: 114

Post#84 » by Derento » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Fischella wrote:If I'm Bamba I'd go to Duke thousands times before I even think about playing for Cal at UK with none spacing whatsoever.

I feel like Bamba is a lock for Kentucky.
Him and his support system probably feel Cal is a big man coach and will help Bamba develop.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#85 » by No-Man » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:58 pm

Derento wrote:
Fischella wrote:If I'm Bamba I'd go to Duke thousands times before I even think about playing for Cal at UK with none spacing whatsoever.

Him and his support system probably feel Cal is a big man coach and will help Bamba develop.

This is UK's roster for next season most likely;

Green/SGA
Diallo/SGA
Vanderbilt/Washington
Gabriel/SKJ/Wynyard
Bamba/Richards/Humphries

Maybe Briscoe comes back, which I doubt, seems locked in declaring this year, that's a backcourt that can't shoot, 2 PFs playing the 3 in Vanderbilt and PJ (both guys I like but not in that role), Gabriel who is raw offensively and an inconsistent shooter, and then 3 back-up Centers in Wynyard, Richards and Humphries, the only guy that is supposedly a better shooter than avg for his position is Killeya-Jones, and who knows if he is actually any good.

Looks like a recipe for disaster if you ask me, esp for a big man, they better have a good one with Quade Green.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by SirChurros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:05 pm

I certainly agree with you (partially because I'm a Duke fan and biased).

It is interesting, seeing as Duke was the frontrunner for Bamba for quite some time. Not sure what would have changed his mind.
SirChurros
Lead Assistant

Post#87 » by SirChurros » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:06 pm

Duval
Jackson-Trent
Kennard-Knox
Carter-DeLaurier
Bamba-Bolden

This rotation would be world's more balanced than this year's Duke team, but it is pretty much a pipe dream. But, even if they lost Kennard and got Bamba, that's a really tough squad with a lot of interior presence.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#88 » by TurboTitan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 pm

If he declares he has Brooklyn written all over him
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
ensergiog
Sophomore
And1: 279

Post#89 » by ensergiog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:41 pm

What is his game? Is this guy a sleeper in the mold of Labissiere?
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,711

Post#90 » by LuessiT » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 pm

ensergiog wrote:What is his game? Is this guy a sleeper in the mold of Labissiere?

Guy was a generational athlete but had 2 ACL tears. He isn't the same anymore, so no, not in the mold of Labissiere. Could still be worth a gamble if you think that he can get his athleticism back but if he doesn't he's not worth getting drafted imo.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,134

Post#91 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:39 pm

LuessiT wrote:
ensergiog wrote:What is his game? Is this guy a sleeper in the mold of Labissiere?

Guy was a generational athlete but had 2 ACL tears. He isn't the same anymore, so no, not in the mold of Labissiere. Could still be worth a gamble if you think that he can get his athleticism back but if he doesn't he's not worth getting drafted imo.

Yup he was quick for a 6'11 dude. He was able to guard out on the perimeter as well as inside, he was able to drive by guys as well. At Duke his lateral quickness was pretty bad and looked like he was constantly second guessing himself which really affected him skill wise as well.

Who knows maybe having these surgeries so young will allow his body to heal back to where he was before and he becomes a beast again. If not, you basically are getting a good rebounder and thats about it.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#92 » by GimmeDat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:55 pm

I struggle to see a scenario where Giles becomes a 'steal', unfortunately. If he does indeed regain some athleticism and confidence in the knees, I think that would show in workouts and his stock will go up. If it's not there by then, then I think he is what he is, which is a star prospect completely derailed by injuries. Sad stuff.
nurseryc
Analyst
And1: 1,236

Post#93 » by nurseryc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:58 am

I think in time Harry will end up the best player from this draft. Will take a few years.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#94 » by Coeur » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:30 am

nurseryc wrote:I think in time Harry will end up the best player from this draft. Will take a few years.

That takes quite an imagination. Can't see how you'd be able to see that. Without the hs hype I can't see why it's not laughable to even consider him an NBA prospect.

I can't see any team choosing him over Anibogu or bam.
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#95 » by mr2good » Sun Apr 2, 2017 4:18 am

I would love to see Orlando roll the dice on him with their second first rounder if he is available in the early twenties.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#96 » by Grits n Gravy » Mon Apr 3, 2017 12:18 pm

Fischella wrote:
Derento wrote:

Green/SGA
Diallo/SGA
Vanderbilt/Washington
Gabriel/SKJ/Wynyard
Bamba/Richards/Humphries

Maybe Briscoe comes back, which I doubt, seems locked in declaring this year, that's a backcourt that can't shoot, 2 PFs playing the 3 in Vanderbilt and PJ (both guys I like but not in that role), Gabriel who is raw offensively and an inconsistent shooter, and then 3 back-up Centers in Wynyard, Richards and Humphries, the only guy that is supposedly a better shooter than avg for his position is Killeya-Jones, and who knows if he is actually any good.

Looks like a recipe for disaster if you ask me, esp for a big man, they better have a good one with Quade Green.

Off topic but Tai Wynyard was so stupid to go to Kentucky imo :nonono:
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#97 » by GimmeDat » Mon Apr 3, 2017 2:27 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:
Fischella wrote:
Derento wrote:I feel like Bamba is a lock for Kentucky.

Green/SGA
Diallo/SGA
Vanderbilt/Washington
Gabriel/SKJ/Wynyard
Bamba/Richards/Humphries

Off topic but Tai Wynyard was so stupid to go to Kentucky imo :nonono:

What's the vibe on Wynyard? Interested to see any Australiasian talent come through, and he's had a bit of hype on him.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#98 » by No-Man » Mon Apr 3, 2017 2:49 pm

So Bolden is out too, basically Duke might be down to;

Duval*-Jackson
Jackson-O'Connell
Kennard-Trent
DeLaurier-White
Carter-Vrankovic

Not sure what happens with Luke, but if he isnt coming back that might be a problem, they really need to get Duval in badly.
Knox might still go there.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#99 » by TheOGJabroni » Mon Apr 3, 2017 3:23 pm

NBADraft.net has him going 20th, Tankathon 22nd, and DraftExpress 24th. He'd be worth a flier there. I think a lot is going to depend on the combine for him though.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,228

Post#100 » by doordoor123 » Mon Apr 3, 2017 4:04 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:NBADraft.net has him going 20th, Tankathon 22nd, and DraftExpress 24th. He'd be worth a flier there. I think a lot is going to depend on the combine for him though.

Yeah, he's very difficult to predict. Like Thon Maker last year. If he shows flashes when he's not in Duke's system and if his medical stuff is okay I think he's a late lottery pick. If not, he's a second rounder or not even drafted. If he doesn't show flashes in work outs, he's more likely a late first.

Return to NBA Draft