doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,227

Re: Hamidou Diallo to enter draft 

Post#81 » by doordoor123 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Gam wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Gam wrote:
The fit is that he could be a home run based on his physical profile. That's like 90% of what Hammond looks for in a first rounder. The other 10% being work ethic which he seems to have as well.

Hes a worse version of Victor Oladipo when he came out of Indiana. Very similar measurements and athletes but Oladipo's ball skills were far superior and look how good Oladipo is offensively right now. Diallo is probably one of the least skilled if not the least skilled guard in this draft. That is a massive flyer for the 17th pick, especially when there are other guards with high potential who are much better offensive players that would be available then.

Well, Dipo was drafted #2 overall and Hami is a bit more than a year younger than Dipo was when he was drafted. I'd argue Hami has a slightly better physical profile, but they definitely are comparable. I also trust our developmental staff more than any club's that isn't the Spurs' and infinitely more than the Magic's staff. That all being said I certainly wouldn't be considering Hami at #2 even in a weak draft like 2013 because there are too many question marks, but at #17 I'd love the pick and think it fits our draft philosophy even if he isn't a great fit right now (there isn't a single guy that should be on the board at #17 that I would call a great fit with our team though, the closest would probably be Ike).

And who would those other guards with high potential who are good offensive players and are available at #17 be? Kennard, Mitchell, Ferguson or Juwan Evans? I wouldn't call Kennard's potential high at all even though I'd love to add a shooter like him, and I think Juwan is great, but he's tiny and not an uber-athlete which will always severely limit his defensive potential, I severely doubt Donovan Mitchell falls to 17, but if he did I'd probably take him over Hami knowing what I know now. I like Hami far more than Ferguson, I'm not going to budge on that one. Those are the only 4 other guards that I'm seeing get mocked from 12-30.

The big thing everyone is forgetting is that this draft is special in the sense that every team will have 17 roster spots this year. As I've said in the past, teams will be shooting for upside rather than players that can play right away in the first round because they have roster space. I don't think many of the teams past the top 10 will draft for need. If a team needs scoring or defense or a handler, they're better off getting free agents now. Now there is room to get a project without having to play them.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,377

Post#82 » by CptCrunch » Thu May 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I dont get the Milwaukee interest. Milwaukee needs scorers and guys with ball skills. Milwaukee needs guys that can spread the floor and create some offense, Hammy is so far away from doing any of that. The dudes jumper is horrible and he has a really bad handle. I can get why some team may take a chance on him in the late teens, I just dont get the fit at all for the Bucks.

Because Milwaukee's gamble worked out with Deer God, now they are drafting long athletic freaks. See Thon Maker from last year. They think that they have the scouting/drafting system all figured out. Draft the longest, most athletic players possible. Pray to Jesus that they develop all facets of their game like Antetokounmpo.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Post#83 » by tester551 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:56 pm

doordoor123 wrote:The big thing everyone is forgetting is that this draft is special in the sense that every team will have 17 roster spots this year. As I've said in the past, teams will be shooting for upside rather than players that can play right away in the first round because they have roster space. I don't think many of the teams past the top 10 will draft for need. If a team needs scoring or defense or a handler, they're better off getting free agents now. Now there is room to get a project without having to play them.

That's not technically correct. NBA team rosters are still set at 15.

What is new, is that teams will now have the ability to sign 2 players (and retain their rights) to play in the dleague. They will be able to 'call them up' for about 70% of the games... so in essence you can have a 17 man roster.

The catch (as I understand it) is these 'flex' contracts are not NBA guaranteed contracts. They will be for substantially less money than an NBA contract (but still a lot more than the typical dleague contract).

I don't think a 1st round pick will be willing to sign that 'flex' contract.
They_Them_Hatin
Sixth Man
And1: 550

Post#84 » by They_Them_Hatin » Fri May 19, 2017 12:11 pm

The Bucks will draft him and develop him and he'll become a stud.
Gam
Bench Warmer
And1: 806

Post#85 » by Gam » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 pm

ntsap wrote:The Bucks will draft him and develop him and he'll become a stud.

It's like you're asking me to and one you.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#86 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:45 am

I'd love for the Jazz to take him at 24 if he's on the board. High risk, high potential.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Hamidou Diallo to enter draft 

Post#87 » by Paradise » Sun May 21, 2017 10:17 pm

It looks like John Calipari accompanied Diallo to Brooklyn for his private workout on Thursday.

Seems like he's definitely trying to get him a promise in the first round.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,967

Post#88 » by MotownMadness » Sun May 21, 2017 10:34 pm

Paradise wrote:It looks like John Calipari accompanied Diallo to Brooklyn for his private workout on Thursday.

Cal knows if he takes care of his guys his recruiting rep just keeps going up. He definitely tries to take care of his players.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#89 » by GimmeDat » Mon May 22, 2017 3:41 am

Paradise wrote:It looks like John Calipari accompanied Diallo to Brooklyn for his private workout on Thursday.

You think Brooklyn considers it?
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#90 » by DanTown8587 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:11 am

Gam wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Gam wrote:
The fit is that he could be a home run based on his physical profile. That's like 90% of what Hammond looks for in a first rounder. The other 10% being work ethic which he seems to have as well.

Hes a worse version of Victor Oladipo when he came out of Indiana. Very similar measurements and athletes but Oladipo's ball skills were far superior and look how good Oladipo is offensively right now. Diallo is probably one of the least skilled if not the least skilled guard in this draft. That is a massive flyer for the 17th pick, especially when there are other guards with high potential who are much better offensive players that would be available then.

Well, Dipo was drafted #2 overall and Hami is a bit more than a year younger than Dipo was when he was drafted. I'd argue Hami has a slightly better physical profile, but they definitely are comparable. I also trust our developmental staff more than any club's that isn't the Spurs' and infinitely more than the Magic's staff. That all being said I certainly wouldn't be considering Hami at #2 even in a weak draft like 2013 because there are too many question marks, but at #17 I'd love the pick and think it fits our draft philosophy even if he isn't a great fit right now (there isn't a single guy that should be on the board at #17 that I would call a great fit with our team though, the closest would probably be Ike).

And who would those other guards with high potential who are good offensive players and are available at #17 be? Kennard, Mitchell, Ferguson or Juwan Evans? I wouldn't call Kennard's potential high at all even though I'd love to add a shooter like him, and I think Juwan is great, but he's tiny and not an uber-athlete which will always severely limit his defensive potential, I severely doubt Donovan Mitchell falls to 17, but if he did I'd probably take him over Hami knowing what I know now. I like Hami far more than Ferguson, I'm not going to budge on that one. Those are the only 4 other guards that I'm seeing get mocked from 12-30.

Milwaukee loves seven footers who can move laterally like they're 6'7; Diallo measures fairly average in terms of actual size + speed but he makes up for it with an insane discrepancy between max vert (44') and no step (34") vert. I mean is Rashard Vaughn an athletic freak? Brogdon? They gave a ton of money to Dellavedova too.

What the Bucks want is position flexibility and switch defensively; Diallo doesn't project like that at all. He's a straight two guard position wise who can't really shoot. You better have so much confidence in your ability to teach both how to play and how to shoot for Diallo to even come close to panning out.
Paradise

Hamidou Diallo to enter draft 

Post#91 » by Paradise » Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 am

GimmeDat wrote:

You think Brooklyn considers it?

Yeah, I think so.

He's an exciting athlete that happens to be a local product and would be coming to an organization with a top tier development coach in Atkinson. Adam Harrington is a good shooting coach as well. He was hired from the Thunder's staff and he primarily worked with KD in OKC. It comes down to the work ethic and character benchmark for Sean Marks. If he passes, I think he gets a guarantee.

Nets will likely average one of highest pace in the league once again. I think Diallo in a Space n' Pace system would best suit his strengths and lessen the chances of his weaknesses in a half court offense. Lin, LeVert, RHJ, Lopez all averaged 2 assists per game. So, I think he'd fit in well with our small nucleus.

If Diallo stays in school, I think the next choice will be Radions Kurucs.
ThatBoyNick
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,454

Post#92 » by ThatBoyNick » Mon May 22, 2017 7:58 am

I also think the Bucks take him at 17. They have to feel like they're on a hot streak with drafting unknown players with elite physical/athletic measurements early in the draft with Giannis and Maker panning out.
Paradise

Post#93 » by Paradise » Tue May 23, 2017 7:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,102

Post#94 » by Negrodamus » Tue May 23, 2017 10:35 pm

Read on Twitter
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#95 » by nolang1 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:22 am

That's a shocker. He probably slides in somewhere in the late lotto in the 2018 draft at this point.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#96 » by Prokorov » Wed May 24, 2017 1:28 am

nolang1 wrote:That's a shocker. He probably slides in somewhere in the late lotto in the 2018 draft at this point.

are you really suprised?

no lotto team had interest and he was projected late first and in some early second. teams he worked out for probably confirmed to him he had alot to work on before they could promise him a draft selection.

the athleticism is great as is the length... but do we know right now that he is any more then say archie goodwin or ben mclemore?
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#97 » by nolang1 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 am

Prokorov wrote:
nolang1 wrote:That's a shocker. He probably slides in somewhere in the late lotto in the 2018 draft at this point.

are you really suprised?

no lotto team had interest and he was projected late first and in some early second. teams he worked out for probably confirmed to him he had alot to work on before they could promise him a draft selection.

the athleticism is great as is the length... but do we know right now that he is any more then say archie goodwin or ben mclemore?

Yes because it seemed he would have left if likely to be drafted around 15-20, and for that many different teams with picks in there to show interest in him made it seem like there was a relatively good chance one of them would draft him. If he withdrew because he had a "lotto or bust" mentality that shows a lot of confidence in his ability to improve his stock, considering a lot of people would rather go 15-20 immediately than 10-15 the following year. We all know it's not like Cal would have tried to stop him from going.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#98 » by GimmeDat » Wed May 24, 2017 2:27 am

Apparently there's conflicting reports and that he's still undecided.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 979

Post#99 » by Waynearchetype » Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 am

GimmeDat wrote:Apparently there's conflicting reports and that he's still undecided.

i.e. he doesn't have a promise yet.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#100 » by GimmeDat » Wed May 24, 2017 3:49 am

Waynearchetype wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Apparently there's conflicting reports and that he's still undecided.

i.e. he doesn't have a promise yet.

It seems so. It would be hard for a team to give him a promise given the relative uncertainty of who will be available - this draft feels pretty open to me. That said, given the range of teams that are said to be interested, it sounds like he'd definitely be a 1st rounder.

Return to NBA Draft