Brandon Miller - Alabama

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Re: Brandon Miller - Alabama 

Post#81 » by reanimator » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:41 am

For the people who have him high lotto, what is it that you envision his role to be in the NBA? I admittedly have him in that 10-14 range with something like an Otto porter medium outcome, Middleton ceiling. I think he is inferior to Jabari in a stronger draft at the top so its hard to stomach him going at the same draft spot and I'm just wondering what I'm missing? Is it just pure college production? Is age not a factor? Do you think his onball potential is viable? When you look at all the younger wings with great size and shooting touch in this draft, is the perceived gap really that big between them and Miller?
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,600

Post#82 » by MemphisX » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:04 am

reanimator wrote:For the people who have him high lotto, what is it that you envision his role to be in the NBA? I admittedly have him in that 10-14 range with something like an Otto porter medium outcome, Middleton ceiling. I think he is inferior to Jabari in a stronger draft at the top so its hard to stomach him going at the same draft spot and I'm just wondering what I'm missing? Is it just pure college production? Is age not a factor? Do you think his onball potential is viable? When you look at all the younger wings with great size and shooting touch in this draft, is the perceived gap really that big between them and Miller?

For me, shooters with his size and handle are immensely valuable in the NBA right now. I question why the Thompson Twins, who can't shoot, are considered easily more valuable. In the era of heliocentric offenses, guys you can't leave and who can attack closeouts are so, so valuable. Will he be an All NBA type? Maybe not. Might never be an All Star. However, I think he is going to make his team much better.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,353

Post#83 » by Catchall » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:08 am

reanimator wrote:For the people who have him high lotto, what is it that you envision his role to be in the NBA? I admittedly have him in that 10-14 range with something like an Otto porter medium outcome, Middleton ceiling. I think he is inferior to Jabari in a stronger draft at the top so its hard to stomach him going at the same draft spot and I'm just wondering what I'm missing? Is it just pure college production? Is age not a factor? Do you think his onball potential is viable? When you look at all the younger wings with great size and shooting touch in this draft, is the perceived gap really that big between them and Miller?

I think he's a secondary scorer and secondary facilitator, a guy like Nic Batum. He'll have a long and successful career, but until I can see him create space and finish inside against NBA-caliber defenders, I think he needs someone else to create for him. I look at him in the same range as Jett Howard and maybe Maxell Lewis in the mid-lotto on.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#84 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:46 am

Even Miller bears like myself have to change their tune at this point on him. The production just hasnt stopped. Looking like a top 5 lock. NBA teams value long 3+D players he fits the bill.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,093

Post#85 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:13 am

2nd best player in the upcoming draft
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#86 » by SeattleJazzFan » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:24 pm

He’s a better scorer than Jabari and he’s a 6’9” wing instead of a 6’10 forward. Iow, he has excellent size/length for his position instead of just good size.

He’s not getting credit for his passing/playmaking skills because he’s only averaging 2 apg and that simply isn’t the role Oats has him playing at bama, but he has those skills and will show them at the next level.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#87 » by reanimator » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:17 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:

He’s a better scorer than Jabari and he’s a 6’9” wing instead of a 6’10 forward. Iow, he has excellent size/length for his position instead of just good size.

He’s not getting credit for his passing/playmaking skills because he’s only averaging 2 apg and that simply isn’t the role Oats has him playing at bama, but he has those skills and will show them at the next level.

Idk I don't see an advanced handle there and Jabari had more areas of the halfcourt he could work out of imo. You throw in Jabari being a much better defensive prospect while being fairly young for his class while Brandon Miller is actually older than Jabari and I can't see it. Also, a system can't fully explain a 1:1 a:to ratio. I agree with many that his archetype is valuable and he may even have allstar upside but in the convo with Scoot? Not a chance. Ultimately I can see him going #3 because no one has really grabbed it by the horns and he is the most consistent game to game, but I think I want more onball out of a prospect that high.
WargamesX
General Manager
And1: 6,637

Post#88 » by WargamesX » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:13 am

I think he is top #4 locked, with Amen being the only competition he has for pick #3.
Matthew 6:5
Luke 15:3-7
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#89 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:40 am

WargamesX wrote:I think he is top #4 locked, with Amen being the only competition he has for pick #3.

The favs right now.

Dealing with these small sample sizes of games and a deep class of talent if a guy like Miller goes cold and say a dude like Whitmore balls out ROS I could see it changing.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,307

Post#90 » by clyde21 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:19 am

non-conf to conf (5 games)

2s: 45% > 63%
3s: 46% > 51%
FT: 84% > 86%

that's huge considering hes playing in the SEC

still don't know if I am buying top 5, but def trending up so far.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,303

Post#91 » by NYPiston » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:34 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:He’s a better scorer than Jabari and he’s a 6’9” wing instead of a 6’10 forward. Iow, he has excellent size/length for his position instead of just good size.

He moves better than Jabari too, much smoother movements. Jabari was probably more advanced defensively though but I envision Miller being a better NBA scorer, he just has more tricks in the bag.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,307

Post#92 » by clyde21 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:01 am

been unhinged in conf play, having another great game tonight

i don't love his mechanics and movement skills, but the production is speaking for it itself right now.
BAMAFREAK
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,371

Post#93 » by BAMAFREAK » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:07 am

clyde21 wrote:been unhinged in conf play, having another great game tonight

i don't love his mechanics and movement skills, but the production is speaking for it itself right now.

He’s pretty straight line right now but I love his shooting stroke.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,416

Post#94 » by MasterIchiro » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:46 am

BAMAFREAK wrote:
clyde21 wrote:been unhinged in conf play, having another great game tonight

He’s pretty straight line right now but I love his shooting stroke.

Yeah, goosebumps in Charlotte as LaMelo has emerged as a volume range sniper who once helped Miles Bridges hit 40% on threes. Miles is deadly at the 4 with his handles, quickness, shot creation and passing. LaMelo and Bridges averaged 20 apiece last season.

Give me a reliable scorer with a large tool box. He's a super-sized version of Benny Mathurin who I loved.

He should help right away as a rookie.
It has been written...
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,353

Post#95 » by Catchall » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:57 am

He can shoot. I'll give him that. At a minimum, that will translate, especially if other guys can get him some space.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,600

Post#96 » by MemphisX » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:57 am

Still nitpicking? :lol:
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#97 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:31 pm

he can do a lot more than shoot. you don't average 22 ppg on elite efficiency in the SEC if all you can do is shoot.

on the season, he's averaging 20+ ppg on 63% TS. that's rarified air for a freshman playing in a power 5 conference. basically unprecedented for a wing.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,303

Post#98 » by NYPiston » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:46 pm

MemphisX wrote:Still nitpicking? :lol:

Yeah no kidding. His shooting alone, at that length, will carry him a long way but he's more than just a shooter and it's about time people start acknowledging that.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,425

Post#99 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:47 pm

A wing with good size at 6'9" who can dribble/pass/shoot/defend. Isn't that what every NBA team is looking for these days?

Let's not overthink it and get too caught up with player comps. Relying too much on player comps over-simplifies scouting. There's so much nuance to the game that gets ignored with lazy player comps.

Dude is the best player on arguably the best team in college basketball, as a freshman. He can defend and score. He can hit shots from all over the floor. He's making over 70% of his shots at the rim over the past 5 games. Pretty good athleticism, pretty good handle. Can score on ball or off ball, can shoot off movement, etc.

As of now, he has a strong case as the #3 prospect in this draft.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
reanimator
Analyst

Post#100 » by reanimator » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm

Hal14 wrote:

A wing with good size at 6'9" who can dribble/pass/shoot/defend. Isn't that what every NBA team is looking for these days?

Let's not overthink it and get too caught up with player comps. Relying too much on player comps over-simplifies scouting. There's so much nuance to the game that gets ignored with lazy player comps.

Dude is the best player on arguably the best team in college basketball, as a freshman. He can defend and score. He can hit shots from all over the floor. He's making over 70% of his shots at the rim over the past 5 games. Pretty good athleticism, pretty good handle. Can score on ball or off ball, can shoot off movement, etc.

As of now, he has a strong case as the #3 prospect in this draft.

See, I don't think he is a great athlete nor a great passer. He is an elite shooter off the catch or dribble with enough of a functional handle to attack in space or on a close out but not as much in traffic. And once again, he is fairly old for his class. The kid is productive and he has a very obvious role and high floor but I'm personally not seeing a do everything wing which is where I have a disconnect. But yeah, the production will have him in contention for #3. I don't think a Otto Porter/Middleton median/ceiling outlook is even lazy nor insulting to the kid but hey everyone isn't going to be as high/low on the same prospects.

Return to NBA Draft