Alperen Şengün

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Re: Alperen Şengün 

Post#981 » by HardenGoat » Mon Aug 9, 2021 3:25 pm

3 things that stood out 1. His defense is not going to be an issue 2. He is a smart player that will be an elite passer 3. His offensive game is going to put players in foul trouble
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,435

Post#982 » by B-Ball Freak » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:23 pm

Mickey8 wrote:He was getting blocked left and right, his shooting percentage were horrible, his attempts to shoot the threes were tragic , by the way he was playing against the bunch of players who are trying to make it into the league, nothing to gloat about his debut, he moves up and down the court slower than Jokic. We will see how he fairs in actual NBA games.

This dude is soooo mad :lol:
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,981

Post#983 » by K_chile22 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:39 pm

HardenGoat wrote:3 things that stood out 1. His defense is not going to be an issue 2. He is a smart player that will be an elite passer 3. His offensive game is going to put players in foul trouble

In the regular season I think he can be totally fine on D, but in the playoffs when he can't just play drop coverage every time he's going to struggle
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#984 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 9, 2021 4:42 pm

looks like he's gonna be complete cheeks guarding in space BUT hands were VERY active, made decent reads (which will only improve with reps and minutes) rotated on time and didn't try to make plays outside of his area if he couldn't get to them, the negative with that obviously being that he couldn't get there but the positive being that he didn't put himself or the team in jeopardy picking up ticky tack whistles either. Once he's on the main roster there will likely be some cover for him. On the other end, the footwork was impressive, the IQ is high, he did a lot of technical things right, and i love how he gets to the line. I can see him translating well on the main roster. IMO he's playable next to whichever bigs the Rockets roll out there.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,981

Post#985 » by K_chile22 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:08 pm

Marcus wrote:looks like he's gonna be complete cheeks guarding in space BUT hands were VERY active, made decent reads (which will only improve with reps and minutes) rotated on time and didn't try to make plays outside of his area if he couldn't get to them, the negative with that obviously being that he couldn't get there but the positive being that he didn't put himself or the team in jeopardy picking up ticky tack whistles either. Once he's on the main roster there will likely be some cover for him. On the other end, the footwork was impressive, the IQ is high, he did a lot of technical things right, and i love how he gets to the line. I can see him translating well on the main roster. IMO he's playable next to whichever bigs the Rockets roll out there.

Yeah, what's kind of fun about the Rockets stable of bigs, Wood, Theis, Garuba and Sengun, along with the wings who can play big, Tate and KJ Martin, is that they can all play together in pretty much any combo besides maybe Theis and Garuba
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,393

Post#986 » by CptCrunch » Mon Aug 9, 2021 6:08 pm

Marcus wrote:looks like he's gonna be complete cheeks guarding in space BUT hands were VERY active, made decent reads (which will only improve with reps and minutes) rotated on time and didn't try to make plays outside of his area if he couldn't get to them, the negative with that obviously being that he couldn't get there but the positive being that he didn't put himself or the team in jeopardy picking up ticky tack whistles either. Once he's on the main roster there will likely be some cover for him. On the other end, the footwork was impressive, the IQ is high, he did a lot of technical things right, and i love how he gets to the line. I can see him translating well on the main roster. IMO he's playable next to whichever bigs the Rockets roll out there.

He is well coached during his youth. Just play smart basketball with his limited athleticism. Understands his limitations on defense. Very vertical in his challenges. Very fundamental on on his box-outs. Haven't seen a rookie box-out this hard and well in a long time. It helps that he has that Euro-Asian style of build with trunk for legs and smaller upper body compared to Black players like Tyson Chandler, Towns, Howard with big upper body compared to smaller legs and core.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 393

Post#987 » by pad300 » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:54 pm

There are going to be regrets about not drafting him...
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#988 » by Marcus » Mon Aug 9, 2021 7:58 pm

K_chile22 wrote:

Yeah, what's kind of fun about the Rockets stable of bigs, Wood, Theis, Garuba and Sengun, along with the wings who can play big, Tate and KJ Martin, is that they can all play together in pretty much any combo besides maybe Theis and Garuba

Rockets look like a league pass staple to diehards right now. it's going to be entertaining one way or the other.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,573

Post#989 » by HardenGoat » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:08 am

What you have to take into account is age. Obviously a player that turned 19 last month is going to have to develop especially a center. What I noticed was solid fundamentals and high IQ. There’s no reason to think he will be a defensive sieve player which was the reason teams were hesitant to take the risk and pick high. I think the Rockets stole this guy honestly and OKC being a building team really missed the ball on this one. There’s so much focus on height, wingspan, and athleticism. To the point of overlooking IQ, passing, and feel for a game. These guys play a team sport and knowing how to utilize your strengths to win games is what should be important.
turnaroundJ
Sixth Man
And1: 1,413

Post#990 » by turnaroundJ » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:55 am

This guy looks ridiculously quick inside for some reason. He's going to be a foul magnet in the league.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,310

Post#991 » by jman3134 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:02 am

Footwork is just some of the best I've seen in a long, long time.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#992 » by CptCrunch » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:34 am

Did y'all know this GOAT can do the split?

Flexibility is a form of athleticism right?

yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,839

Post#993 » by yoyoboy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:36 am

Damn that’s actually really impressive.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#994 » by CptCrunch » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:39 am

This kid is a GOAT, and I am a Sengun truther now. If we had footage of these 2 games pre-draft, I fail to see how he doesn't go #1.

You watch this game highlight from tonight and tell me this man isn't the #1 pick.

https://streamable.com/wqb4l0
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 737

Post#995 » by RollingWave » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:46 am

Trying to dial back a bit I'd say he's a pretty safe bet to be a real NBA player at least.

The fit around him is going to be a bit weird if he's going to start though, sort of like Sabonis
The river of time wash away all heroes
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,757

Post#996 » by nolang1 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:30 am

RollingWave wrote:Trying to dial back a bit I'd say he's a pretty safe bet to be a real NBA player at least.

The fit around him is going to be a bit weird if he's going to start though, sort of like Sabonis

The guy is averaging like 1.5 steals and 5.5 blocks per 36 so far. Obviously it's not going to carry over to that extent, but it's fair to say that on defense he's got much better timing/motor/IQ/whatever you want to call it than the Sabonis/Kevin Love types who were viewed as his best-case scenario. That alone would make potential fits less weird, and then as the league downsizes more it's just as valid to question how a small team would handle him defensively. As good as his numbers were tonight, 0 offensive rebounds is an aberration for him and he was in position for quite a few putback opportunities where his teammate either made a difficult shot (there was a super tough finish by Christopher in the first half in particular) or got a fortunate foul call.
ofeek
Ballboy
And1: 34

Post#997 » by ofeek » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:35 am

Rockets definitelly investing on him.

Apparently, rockets has a staff member, Barbara Turner, a former basketball player who played 15 seasons in Turkey.

She helps him out with lack of English language skill related difficulties.

What a luck, planning, creative thinking you name it by Rockets organization.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,497

Post#998 » by Mirotic12 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:01 am

NBA Summer League is such a joke level. It's a clear step down in the level of competition from what Sengun was used to in the Turkish League.
Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,751

Post#999 » by Yallbecrazy » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:36 am

Mirotic12 wrote:NBA Summer League is such a joke level. It's a clear step down in the level of competition from what Sengun was used to in the Turkish League.

There are 5 games I think where he played the best team in Europe, a team that would win games if they were in the NBA. His team lost all 5 obviously, but he put up pretty good numbers in 3 of the 5. I watched the game where he put up only okay numbers, not the one where his box score was terrible and he looked really good in that game. The opposing team was keying on him big time too as no one else on Sengun's team was a threat to them. I think he was ejected at the end of the 3rd quarter for his second tech and arguing with the refs in the game I watched (playoff game 2)
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,590

Post#1000 » by pcbothwel » Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:42 am

CptCrunch wrote:This kid is a GOAT, and I am a Sengun truther now. If we had footage of these 2 games pre-draft, I fail to see how he doesn't go #1.

You watch this game highlight from tonight and tell me this man isn't the #1 pick.

https://streamable.com/wqb4l0

I never will understand how people were down on him. I understand that his archetype might limit the ceiling of your team or make you adjust the players around him if he is your starting Center... But the dude was clearly a Sabonis clone with more upside due to range and defensive instincts. The moment he fell out of the top 7 he became a steal.

Return to NBA Draft