Harrison Barnes

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

teamjosh04
Senior
And1: 17

Re: Harrison Barnes 

Post#141 » by teamjosh04 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:11 am

Since when couldnt Pierce get to the line? He used to be great at using his strong, compact frame to get to the hoop. He uses his frame to shield defenders and finish around the hoop with lay-ups while Barnes is more of a straight driver who finishes explosively with a dunk. I dont see the similarity in their body type at all. Barnes is built like Joe Johnson and is more of a jump shooter like him too. Pierce and Barnes might both have a good midrange game and display good footwork, but that is as far as Id go with that comparison.

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?s ... l&qual=all

Only trailed Wade, Maggette, and Iverson in his prime when it came to getting to the line.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#142 » by Alfred » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Next Coming wrote:Best Case Scenario: Pierce

Worst Case Scenario: Deng

I think his worst case scenario is worse than Deng, who is one of the best defensive small forwards in the league.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#143 » by ManualRam » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Alfred wrote:

I think his worst case scenario is worse than Deng, who is one of the best defensive small forwards in the league.

+1
if that was his worst case scenario, you'd basically be saying that hes a cant miss prospect.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#144 » by TB » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:53 pm

For me, worst case is Dorell Wright. I've watched every game this season of Wright, and alot of Barnes, and they do alot of similar things, with similar size/skillset.

I think Barnes bball IQ will far surpass Wright, thus getting him to a level higher than Wright, but I think its a good starting point for "worst case".
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#145 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Alfred wrote:

+1
if that was his worst case scenario, you'd basically be saying that hes a cant miss prospect.

+2
I'd go with Lamond Murray as worst case, and I think that's being generous. I think Barnes will be a good player, but he hasn't shown that he'll be more than a jump shooter, imo.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#146 » by boogie-reke » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:14 pm

Worst case is def Marvin Williams.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#147 » by WizarDynasty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Luol deng standing reach is 9'05 harrison barnes is 8'8. almost 5 inch standing reach difference. That is a very very significant measurement. Luol Deng has a significantly superior reach to Harrison which is extremely important defensively. Deng has a small forwards standing reach. Barnes has a shooting guard's standing reach. Even Marvin Williams standing reach is 9'0. Barnes is a shooting guard defensively when comparing his measurement to the above average defensive small forward with limited hops.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
umopapisdn
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#148 » by umopapisdn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 pm

erudite23 wrote:But the search is finally over, as I stumbled on commentary from ESPN's David Thorpe likening Barnes to Paul Pierce. It works. Pierce is not overly athletic, and has never been that great at getting to the rim. He relies on technical expertise and subtle change of pace and body movements to get to his spots. Look at their freshman stats:

I can only assume they never saw Pierce in high school or college, because he was a tremendous athlete back then. He's fat and slow now, but he was on a completely different level than Barnes at the same age.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,190
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#149 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:58 am

Also, Pierce was outstanding at getting to the rim, the dude lived at the foul line, even during the pre-pussy perimeter rule era.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
JamesNaismith
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#150 » by JamesNaismith » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 am

So many people are and will be eating crow about Barnes...said it long time ago.

Quote this in 2 years.

Barnes will be a stud.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,618

Post#151 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:30 pm

WizarDynasty wrote:Luol deng standing reach is 9'05 harrison barnes is 8'8. almost 5 inch standing reach difference. That is a very very significant measurement. Luol Deng has a significantly superior reach to Harrison which is extremely important defensively. Deng has a small forwards standing reach. Barnes has a shooting guard's standing reach. Even Marvin Williams standing reach is 9'0. Barnes is a shooting guard defensively when comparing his measurement to the above average defensive small forward with limited hops.

Where did you get Barnes' standing reach? I can't find it anywhere. At the Lebron James Skills Academy, Barnes measured 6'-8" in shoes with a 7'-0.5" wingspan - a month after his 17th birthday. Looking at similar guys with those measurements, they typically have a standing reach of 8'-10" to 8'-11".

And that assumes no growth over the past two years.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,098

Post#152 » by tidho » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:55 pm

Why did UNC even recruit Barnes? I just don't get it. They guy is obviously too slow, and not athletic enough, and his reach isn't long enough, and he somedays he doesn't floss, and he bites his nails, and.....

What an absolute joke.

He is projected as a top 5 pick. The reason that's the case is because experts believe he's going to be a really good NBA player. Even through his early season struggles he was still mocked in the top 10.

No he doesn't have Gerald Green's athletisism, but he's plenty athletic enough to play at the next level. Sure he doesn't have the measuables of Anthony Randolph, but he's in no way undersized to play on the wing in the NBA.

They guy can flat our score and he's a really good defender too.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#153 » by fredericklove » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:23 am

They guy is an awesome clutch shooter. That's all I have to say.
baulderdash77
Lead Assistant
And1: 235

Post#154 » by baulderdash77 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:44 am

nate33 wrote:
WizarDynasty wrote:Luol deng standing reach is 9'05 harrison barnes is 8'8. almost 5 inch standing reach difference. That is a very very significant measurement. Luol Deng has a significantly superior reach to Harrison which is extremely important defensively. Deng has a small forwards standing reach. Barnes has a shooting guard's standing reach. Even Marvin Williams standing reach is 9'0. Barnes is a shooting guard defensively when comparing his measurement to the above average defensive small forward with limited hops.

Where did you get Barnes' standing reach? I can't find it anywhere. At the Lebron James Skills Academy, Barnes measured 6'-8" in shoes with a 7'-0.5" wingspan - a month after his 17th birthday. Looking at similar guys with those measurements, they typically have a standing reach of 8'-10" to 8'-11".

And that assumes no growth over the past two years.

Deng had a 7'0.5" wingspan and was 6'8" in shoes at his pre-draft combine. So they have will have roughly the same measurables.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,028

Post#155 » by mattg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:55 pm

MAJOR LOL at someone acting like 2-3 inches of wingspan or standing reach are make or break for a player. That's the type of evaluation that people who don't watch games do. It's laughable really.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#156 » by Charsace » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:Michael Finley/Allan Houston with more rebounding and defence?

Both of these guys were better athletes and shooters than Barnes. Houston was also much better at creating his own shot. I don't think Barnes could ever light up a prime Kobe like Houston could.
Master Amino
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#157 » by Master Amino » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:46 pm

I think what I love most about Barnes is the maturity he displays in his interviews. We don't have enough young talent with maturity these days it seems. Case in point, contrast his attitude with a guy like Cousins....

Also obviously love that he's a great shooter and has a GREAT NBA body.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,037

Post#158 » by moss_is_1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 pm

TB wrote:For me, worst case is Dorell Wright. I've watched every game this season of Wright, and alot of Barnes, and they do alot of similar things, with similar size/skillset.

I think Barnes bball IQ will far surpass Wright, thus getting him to a level higher than Wright, but I think its a good starting point for "worst case".

Wright is way more athletic than Barnes though.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,461

Post#159 » by babyjax13 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 pm

After watching him a bit more I think his game is just more suited to the NBA style. I am drooling over the fact that the Jazz have a chance at him.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Paeds
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#160 » by Paeds » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:01 am

Reminds me of Wesley Johnson

Return to NBA Draft