Nikola Vucevic

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ThreeYearPlan
Banned User
And1: 0

Nikola Vucevic 

Post#1 » by ThreeYearPlan » Mon May 2, 2011 12:50 am

Most mocks have him going in early-mid 2nd round and I have no idea why. He's listed at 6'10 240 pounds and wouldn't be surprised if he measures out being bigger in both height and weight. Averaged 17.1 pts 10.3 rebounds 50% from the field, 34% from 3 and around 75% at the free throw line last year at USC.

Vucevic has nice touch around the basket, his mid-range game is excellent and his 3 point range has expanded greatly in the last two years at USC. He's not the greatest athlete but he's not a stick in the mud either and has pretty good length that helps cover up some of his limited athletic ability. He was the Pac-10's leading rebounder and averaged 9.4 his soph year so this year is no fluke, he's got a nose for the ball and has the length to snatch rebounds up. Also is a decent defender in the post and was able to block around 1.4 blks a game in his sophomore and junior year.

Basically he's a big body that should be able to play both the 4 and the 5 in the NBA, he's got a diverse offensive game, can rebound the basketball and he's a decent defender. Only 20 years old and definitely has an NBA ready game right now but with how much he improved at USC in the past two years alone he still has a significant amount of potential left. Is it just that nobody has seen a USC basketball game since OJ Mayo or what?
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Re: Nikola Vucevic 

Post#2 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon May 2, 2011 1:47 am

ThreeYearPlan wrote:Most mocks have him going in early-mid 2nd round and I have no idea why. He's listed at 6'10 240 pounds and wouldn't be surprised if he measures out being bigger in both height and weight. Averaged 17.1 pts 10.3 rebounds 50% from the field, 34% from 3 and around 75% at the free throw line last year at USC.

Vucevic has nice touch around the basket, his mid-range game is excellent and his 3 point range has expanded greatly in the last two years at USC. He's not the greatest athlete but he's not a stick in the mud either and has pretty good length that helps cover up some of his limited athletic ability. He was the Pac-10's leading rebounder and averaged 9.4 his soph year so this year is no fluke, he's got a nose for the ball and has the length to snatch rebounds up. Also is a decent defender in the post and was able to block around 1.4 blks a game in his sophomore and junior year.

Basically he's a big body that should be able to play both the 4 and the 5 in the NBA, he's got a diverse offensive game, can rebound the basketball and he's a decent defender. Only 20 years old and definitely has an NBA ready game right now but with how much he improved at USC in the past two years alone he still has a significant amount of potential left. Is it just that nobody has seen a USC basketball game since OJ Mayo or what?

Me neither.

He's probably one of the more undervalued guys in the draft at the moment. Has a little Troy Murphy in him, except he might be more skilled in the post than Murphy.

And I'll be honest: I haven't watched much of any USC games this year. I'd appreciate those who have to give a little scouting report on him, because his production and attributes are good enough to make him worthy of a 1st rd. pick easily.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#3 » by Dr Positivity » Tue May 3, 2011 6:35 pm

I don't think he's an NBA player. Weak lateral quickness, lift or strength and he's not really a 3pt shooter, which is the skill he'd need to be lockdown on to make it in the NBA. I see him as a terrific Euroleague guy.
King d
Banned User
And1: 40

Post#4 » by King d » Wed May 4, 2011 12:07 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:I don't think he's an NBA player. Weak lateral quickness, lift or strength and he's not really a 3pt shooter, which is the skill he'd need to be lockdown on to make it in the NBA. I see him as a terrific Euroleague guy.

If Jason Collins is a 9 years nba veteran, I don't see why Vucevic can't play in the nba :)

Seriously, I think he would be a pretty good rotation guy at the 4 or the 5. His post game is really good, has a nice mid range J, he is able to make 3pt shots and at worst he would be a decent rebounder at the nba level. IMO those attributes will make him an NBA player, but who knows
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#5 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 20, 2011 7:46 pm

I take back what I said about him - Legit 7 footer with a 7'4.5 wingspan. Wow! He looks like a clear top 20-25 guy to me now
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Fri May 20, 2011 7:57 pm

He's the definite winner of the combine measurements. I don't care how stiff he is. I guy that size and length who can also shoot jumpers and rebounds well is most definitely going 1st round in this draft. I concur - top 25 at least.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#7 » by tidho » Fri May 20, 2011 8:12 pm

strong like bull
stiff like potapenko
Import
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#8 » by Import » Fri May 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Whatever team drafts Vucevic in the late 1st, early 2nd round is gonna get a steal.
Import
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#9 » by Import » Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 pm

tidho wrote:strong like bull
stiff like potapenko

:lol: That made chuckle for some reason. Thanks.
ThreeYearPlan
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#10 » by ThreeYearPlan » Fri May 20, 2011 11:42 pm

I knew he was gonna be bigger than what USC listed him as but he measured out even better than I thought. He was always a top 25 player but now people are gonna start realizing it, pretty much a 7 footer who is above average in all the skills you want for a big man and has the tools to compensate his below average mobility. Pencil him in for 7-8 pts and 5-6 rbs in 20-25 minutes for the next couple of years, he's pretty much Mehmet Okur without the 3 point range so if he keeps improving his jumper like he did in USC and adds that 3 point shot watch out.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,068

Post#11 » by UGA Hayes » Sat May 21, 2011 1:58 am

The only game I saw him play was the VCU play in game, he didn't play that well, his team lost, and frankly I still liked him. Guys who play on a team that doesn't win a lot always have an uphill battle perception wise.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,177

Post#12 » by dolphinatik » Tue May 24, 2011 4:22 am

I have him as a sleeper pick for Miami and pick #1 of the second round. What he needs to work on most is adding muscle and size. he has the frame to do that. Has improved each year at USC and is a quick learner. Once he gets size and works on low post he will be a SOLID pick. Strangely enough he is one of the more NBA ready players for his position in this draft.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#13 » by Point-God » Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 pm

His vertical leap numbers are now available. They are 23.5 11' 4'', 25 11' 5.5''. That doesn't project so well to the NBA for a guy who received more value since measuring extremely well. He still has that 9'4.5" standing reach, but it's totally negated by his lack of vertical leaping ability. This will not inhibit his offensive potential much IMO, but he will offer nothing on defense besides a big body to foul and get dunked over.
s_g_b
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#14 » by s_g_b » Thu May 26, 2011 3:12 pm

Nick Fazekas 2.0

Return to NBA Draft