Why would Utah pick Kanter at #3

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Re: Why would Utah pick Kanter at #3 

Post#41 » by carrottop12 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:25 pm

Why would a team in rebuilding mold want either of those players?
Ming Kong!
RealGM
And1: 31

Post#42 » by Ming Kong! » Sun May 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Bat wrote:Why would a team in rebuilding mold want either of those players?

You do know what you're getting, but I agree, if top 3 are sure things (including Kanter), then what's the point going after a guy on a 1-2 year contracts.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#43 » by erudite23 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:53 pm

I don't know that I would characterize the Jazz as being in rebuilding mode. If we get lucky with our pick and the Favors/Hayward combo take a big step forward next year, we have enough veterans and a quality FO in place to bounce right back into the mix in the WC. In fact, an Iguodala type of player would be exactly what we need to make that next step. One thing we know about Gordo is that he is going to be an excellent (maybe even great) shooter. An athletic defender/slasher like Iggy would fit in perfectly next to him. The Jazz are going to have a bunch of good players on the team next year, the only thing we need is that one guy who can bring it all together and be a difference maker when we need it. I wouldn't necessarily say we're rebuilding.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#44 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:05 pm

The franchise player is 19

That would sort of be rebuilding.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,043

Post#45 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm

I would. Night in and night out I've seen the Jazz fight with a talent disparity. We've got a lot of good players, but, no great ones. Most teams have a great player. At least an offensively great player. Someone that can generate buckets. We don't.

You might say Jefferson is that guy, but, how many times did we pound the ball down to Jefferson at the end of a close game? Seldom if ever.

Neither Hayward or Favors are likely to be that guy for us next year. Both look to be well rounded players IMHO. Not guys you can ask to go get you buckets.

Maybe we get lucky and Williams falls into our lap and #3 and HE is a guy like that. Something like a Melo. A guy that you can give the ball at the end of a game and expect good things. Maybe then we might be able to challenge for home court in the first round. But, that's a lot of ifs.

I think we're at least one more year out for those kind of expectations. Maybe 2. (God forbid more than 2...)

I think we really need some guys that can make tough shots. Watching the playoffs this year it was obvious teams that did well had guys that could make tough shots. We got nobody.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Kumar
Junior
And1: 197

Post#46 » by Kumar » Mon May 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Kanter reminds me more of a young Tim Duncan.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#47 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon May 23, 2011 4:39 pm

Al, Millsap, and Hayward were all ridiculously good at clutch scoring last season, that wasn't the issue for the team.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Ok, I'll bite. What was the issue then? By my eye it is a distinct lack of star power. Nobody that can take over and carry a team when the offense is struggling. Many nights it was just painful to watch as the Jazz would come down and miss a medium difficulty shot only to have the opposing team go hit a difficult shot on the other end.

I think we were just out talented and need an infusion of some star power. Not to sell tickets, but, to make the tough buckets.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#49 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon May 23, 2011 6:29 pm

I would say the Jazz's problem is that the only players on the team that had the physical tools, desire, and know-how to play defense were rookies.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#50 » by fredericklove » Mon May 23, 2011 7:25 pm

Kumar wrote:Kanter reminds me more of a young Tim Duncan.

In that case he should be the 1st pick :lol:
schneiderjazz
Assistant Coach
And1: 19

Post#51 » by schneiderjazz » Mon May 23, 2011 9:19 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Ok, I'll bite. What was the issue then? By my eye it is a distinct lack of star power. Nobody that can take over and carry a team when the offense is struggling. Many nights it was just painful to watch as the Jazz would come down and miss a medium difficulty shot only to have the opposing team go hit a difficult shot on the other end.

I think we were just out talented and need an infusion of some star power. Not to sell tickets, but, to make the tough buckets.

I cannot even express how much I agree with this. There were nights this year when we couldn't make a freaking open 15 footer while at the other end, there were guys who'd hit a 25 ft fadeaway with a defender in their faces. We desperately need a guy who can hit the tough shots and create offensively.

One other thing. I really disagree with the fact that we need a pass first PG. That usually means a guy who can rack up a lot of assists. That's crap. We don't need a guy dominating the ball. I don't know about you guys, but the Jazz look better to me when everybody is involved than when one guy is trying to do it all by himself.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,349

Post#52 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:Al, Millsap, and Hayward were all ridiculously good at clutch scoring last season, that wasn't the issue for the team.

The Jazz have no center and no real perimeter threat. They have 3 decent PF's and a decent PG. Everyone else is a dime a dozen.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#53 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:26 pm

Al isn't a PF, he can't defend the position. I'm not arguing that the team was good last year, it wasn't. Clutch scoring wasn't the reason why the team wasn't good. Al and Millsap hit tougher shots than almost anyone in the league and had incredible clutch stats.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#54 » by erudite23 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:32 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Ok, I'll bite. What was the issue then? By my eye it is a distinct lack of star power. Nobody that can take over and carry a team when the offense is struggling. Many nights it was just painful to watch as the Jazz would come down and miss a medium difficulty shot only to have the opposing team go hit a difficult shot on the other end.

"Starpower" is just a vague way of saying "we just didn't do it." In other words, you're not really sure.

I can tell you: we couldn't get stops and when we DID get stops, we couldn't clear the boards. Period.

After the D-Will trade we were a rudderless team that had completely lost any perspective about who they were and what made them go, and we played like we were in shell shock for the rest of the year.

But the big problems with the team centered around terrible defense and inability to rebound consistently. Harris, Al, Millsap, AK are all above average offensive players who do plenty of things well and can carry a team when they get it going. CJ won a couple of games for us by himself. Memo might be able to contribute next year and if he does he'll certainly still be able to hit a jumpshot, meaning he could be a valuable offensive weapon.

No, the Jazz have scorers and they have enough guys that if they get a young stud guard OR if they take Kanter and he comes in and is able to provide a legit post presence right away, then they'll have plenty of weapons to win games. There are quite a few teams in the NBA that didn't have the kind of guy you're talking about but still did well this year. Portland, Memphis (of course everyone will say Randolph now, but he's nothing more than Big Al offensively), Atlanta (unless Joe Johnson jacking up long 2s with a hand in his face and shooting in the low 50s in TS counts), Orlando, dare I say the Lakers (Kobe couldn't manufacture quality shots in the playoffs anywhere near like he used to)....all those teams got shots from playing team ball, and did well to varying degrees without that one guy you're talking about.

The Jazz have enough talent on the team that if my qualifiers come to pass (Favors/Hayward take a step forward, get lucky with immediate contributor from #3 pick, and the team responds favorably to a full off season etc together) then there's a great shot we are right in the middle of the playoff race in the West (4-5-6ish).

Of course, I don't expect that to happen and would quite frankly be happier with one nightmare of a season, another very high pick, and then a bounce back year following that. But I can see it happening. We have a lot of good players, we don't fit the mold of what people think when they hear the word "rebuilding." Not that I would have a problem with the idea if we were. Just sayin.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#55 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:37 pm

Randolph is way better than Al at pretty much everything.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Well, we won 42 games with AK as our best player. So, obviously you can win games without star power. But, I still think it's the most glaring issue on the Jazz.

It's true defense could be better, that's almost always true. It's true rebounding was a bit of a problem. Jefferson just isn't as good as Boozer and we got almost no help from the backcourt. But, I think both were decent. A lot of games we lost were just lost to more talented players. Guys on opposing teams who had the ability to step up and make a difficult shot with a hand in their face with the shot clock running down.

We had guys that could make an mostly uncontested shot with the shot clock running down, but, not ones that could create a worthwhile shot with the ball in their hands with the clock running down.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:44 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:Randolph is way better than Al at pretty much everything.

Not at playing center he isn't.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#58 » by carrottop12 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Rebounding was a big issue for us, Paul didn't live up to what I thought hedge as a starter. Otherwise we just had a bunch of youth, no leaders, and two catastrophic losses among personal. Can't count out injuries either, ak, memo, and Harris all missed a ton of games.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:50 pm

When haven't AK and Harris missed a ton of games?

Return to NBA Draft