What makes people think Knight is an NBA starter?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

What makes people think Knight is an NBA starter? 

Post#1 » by Jazzfan12 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:31 pm

He's pretty much the same as OJ Mayo coming out of college, which is good except for that he's shorter and less explosive than Mayo which means he'll be forced to play PG. Mayo can't play PG in the NBA, why will Knight be able to?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,486

Re: What makes people think Knight is an NBA player? 

Post#2 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 20, 2011 9:41 pm

I understand the Knight criticisms, but being like pre draft Mayo is not one of them. The "mediocore" scenario for Knight is Jarrett Jack IMO
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Re: What makes people think Knight is an NBA starter? 

Post#3 » by Dirtgrain » Sat May 21, 2011 1:59 am

I haven't seen him much, and what I saw didn't impress me skill-wise for the lottery. But damn, his feet and legs move as fast as Iverson's--he should be blowing by defenders more. He has some athletic talent, with decent-to-good skills (but so young, maybe just needs experience to show his skills better).
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,880

Post#4 » by UGA Hayes » Sat May 21, 2011 2:18 am

He seemed pretty dominant with one hand. Those kind of players scare me as starters. On the bright side, he is supposed to be smart, which isn't unimportant o maybe he can figure it out. As it is I do think he is overvalued considering where he is on the draftexpress mock.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#5 » by Charsace » Sat May 21, 2011 2:40 pm

He isn't really that quick and doesn't have a great first step. And his handles are sloppy. That's why he has trouble getting by people. I thought he would be 6'4, which would make him a big pg, but he doesn't have a size advantage like everyone thought he would. The team that picks him in the top 7 will most likely regret it if he doesn't work hard to improve his slashing.
Point-God
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#6 » by Point-God » Sat May 21, 2011 3:15 pm

Intelligent people make great coaches and physicians. Intelligent people don't make great athletes anymore than they make great sex partners. Basketball is about instincts, athleticism, and muscle memory. A dumb basketball player is not the same thing as a dumb human being. I have never seen Knight's offcourt intelligence translate onto the floor, just look at his assist to turnover ratio. Not too intelligent huh? Any person that attempts to correlate off court intelligence to on court intelligence is a complete fraud.
Dirtgrain
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#7 » by Dirtgrain » Sat May 21, 2011 3:32 pm

I wouldn't equate academic success with intelligence always, either. Academic success does speak to his work ethic. Regarding the turnovers, John Wall looked terrible to me the year before he got drafted. He made some turnovers where he dribbled up to a guy, and the guy just reached out and took the ball that was offered up to him. I was wrong on Wall, as he clearly was worth the number one pick. That's not to say Knight is anything like Wall.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is an [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin
Hyperbole is not a virtue.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#8 » by ManualRam » Sat May 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Point-God wrote:Intelligent people make great coaches and physicians. Intelligent people don't make great athletes anymore than they make great sex partners. Basketball is about instincts, athleticism, and muscle memory. A dumb basketball player is not the same thing as a dumb human being. I have never seen Knight's offcourt intelligence translate onto the floor, just look at his assist to turnover ratio. Not too intelligent huh? Any person that attempts to correlate off court intelligence to on court intelligence is a complete fraud.

i dont get it either. i think his value gets a bump because he's a book smart kid and a hard worker off the floor. on the court he's a poor decision maker though and doesnt come off as an intelligent basketball player.
i remember hearing about the hype in HS. how he was supposed to be a pure PG with great size and all that. i tune in to watch him play and he looked like jamal crawford out there. just taking awful, hero shots and dribbling into trouble consistently with little PG skills.
so maybe last yr was a transition period for him in terms of playing the PG position, but i think those tendencies in his game will remain.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#9 » by mg » Sat May 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I don't get the OJ Mayo or Jack comparisons at all. If anything I believe Knight's floor is closer to Jrue Holiday or at least see his career arc similar to Holiday due to similar size and skill set coming into the League. Knight is very young..just turned 18 in December. He definitely should be an NBA starter in 2-3 years. Depending on his development Knight could be the best player from this draft class in 5 years but a team will have to be patient with him.

Edit: I would not judge his 1 season at Kentucky and call him a chucker. Knight was simply doing what Calipari needed him to do in order for that team to succeed.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#10 » by ManualRam » Sat May 21, 2011 4:07 pm

mg wrote:I don't get the OJ Mayo or Jack comparisons at all. If anything I believe Knight's floor is closer to Jrue Holiday or at least see his career arc similar to Holiday due to similar size and skill set coming into the League. Knight is very young..just turned 18 in December. He definitely should be an NBA starter in 2-3 years. Depending on his development Knight could be the best player from this draft class in 5 years but a team will have to be patient with him.

Edit: I would not judge his 1 season at Kentucky and call him a chucker. Knight was simply doing what Calipari needed him to do in order for that team to succeed.

jrue and knight do not have similar size and skill set at the same stage.
jrue: 6'3.25 w/o shoes, 200lbs. knight: 6'1.5 w/o shoes 177lbs

jrue had a much more advanced feel for the game at the same stage.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#11 » by Charsace » Sat May 21, 2011 4:17 pm

mg wrote:I don't get the OJ Mayo or Jack comparisons at all. If anything I believe Knight's floor is closer to Jrue Holiday or at least see his career arc similar to Holiday due to similar size and skill set coming into the League. Knight is very young..just turned 18 in December. He definitely should be an NBA starter in 2-3 years. Depending on his development Knight could be the best player from this draft class in 5 years but a team will have to be patient with him.

Nothing like Holiday. Jrue is bigger and quicker laterally. Jrue is better passer, slasher, handler and defender. He's also the more creative player.

I think knight can be good, but I don't think he will ever be an allstar. There are guys that when you watch them play pre-NBA and you can see allstar potential in them. I've never seen that in Knight. At best I see him being a homeless man's Billups or super Chalmers. Knight will only look good next to slashing SG that can also create.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#12 » by carrottop12 » Sat May 21, 2011 4:43 pm

Well, he was 17 for half the season, specifically the early half when his to's were so high, and he still managed to put up 17/4/4 as the starting point guard for a team that went to the final four after losing 5 guys to the NBA the season before.

:dontknow:
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#13 » by Leolovinliberal » Sat May 21, 2011 5:24 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:He's pretty much the same as OJ Mayo coming out of college, which is good except for that he's shorter and less explosive than Mayo which means he'll be forced to play PG. Mayo can't play PG in the NBA, why will Knight be able to?

I just came in here to start a thread literally asking the same thing, minus the part about Mayo. What has BK done to warrant being a lottery pick? He's a decent combo guard with no true discernible pg skills. I don't get it.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#14 » by Leolovinliberal » Sat May 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Here's his stat line for the season. Bad shooter, mediocre three point shooter, terrible assist/t.o ratio, and flat out chucker. What on earth has he done to warrant being the # 5pick in the draft? And please stop saying that he is the bpa, because he is not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/pr ... erId=51542
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#15 » by ManualRam » Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 pm

Sonrise wrote:Here's his stat line for the season. Bad shooter, mediocre three point shooter, terrible assist/t.o ratio, and flat out chucker. What on earth has he done to warrant being the # 5pick in the draft? And please stop saying that he is the bpa, because he is not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/pr ... erId=51542

its because he's a freak athlete...wait, nope
its because he has tremendous size for his position...wait, nope
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#16 » by erudite23 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:27 am

Charsace wrote:Nothing like Holiday. Jrue is bigger and quicker laterally. Jrue is better passer, slasher, handler and defender. He's also the more creative player.

I think knight can be good, but I don't think he will ever be an allstar. There are guys that when you watch them play pre-NBA and you can see allstar potential in them. I've never seen that in Knight. At best I see him being a homeless man's Billups or super Chalmers. Knight will only look good next to slashing SG that can also create.

Yeah, I think you're right. That is why Knight put up 17.3/4.0/4.2 on 43% FGs with 3.2 TOs per game on a team that made the Final Four and lost by 1 point to the eventual NC, and Holiday put up 8.5/3.8/3.7 and 45% FGs with 2.1 TOs on a team that was eliminated in the 2nd round. Its also why Holiday went 17th in a draft that was that was considered weak at the time and why Knight is slated to go no later than 6th in the same. You are making a ton of sense.
mango2209
Pro Prospect
And1: 287

Post#17 » by mango2209 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:42 am

wow...so much hate for the guy.....did he "delonte wested" your moms or what?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Sun May 22, 2011 1:19 am

erudite23 wrote:
Charsace wrote:Nothing like Holiday. Jrue is bigger and quicker laterally. Jrue is better passer, slasher, handler and defender. He's also the more creative player.

Yeah, I think you're right. That is why Knight put up 17.3/4.0/4.2 on 43% FGs with 3.2 TOs per game on a team that made the Final Four and lost by 1 point to the eventual NC, and Holiday put up 8.5/3.8/3.7 and 45% FGs with 2.1 TOs on a team that was eliminated in the 2nd round. Its also why Holiday went 17th in a draft that was that was considered weak at the time and why Knight is slated to go no later than 6th in the same. You are making a ton of sense.

wow. a freshman being productive in calipari's system. that's the reason why they GO play for him. it's nothing but a 1 and done factory. he guarantees minutes and the opportunity to show out, then encourages them to leave for the NBA regardless of their progression as players. much different under a coach like howland who makes you earn everything you get, instead of handing the keys to freshman yr after yr.
kamazilla
Senior
And1: 62

Post#19 » by kamazilla » Sun May 22, 2011 5:41 am

Bat wrote:Well, he was 17 for half the season, specifically the early half when his to's were so high, and he still managed to put up 17/4/4 as the starting point guard for a team that went to the final four after losing 5 guys to the NBA the season before.

:dontknow:

Bat, I've read this "age theory" of yours in several threads now. Apparently, you have bad information regarding his DOB. And realistically, with the PGs already in the L and more to come this year and in years to come, I find it highly unlikely Knight ever achieves top ten at his position. Not good for a projected top five pick.

TEAM: KENTUCKY, FRESHMAN
H: 6' 3"
W: 185 lbs
Bday: 12/02/1991
(19 Years Old)
Current: PG
NBA: PG/SG
Possible: PG/SG
Round: 1 Pick: 3 in 2011 Mock Draft
Rank 7 in NCAA Freshmen
Rank 5 in Top 100 Prospects
Rank 3 in 2011 Guards
RSCI: 5
Agent: Arn Tellem
DRAFT ELIGIBLE
High School: Pine Crest
Hometown: Coral Springs, FL
Best Case: Chauncey Billups (in Prime)
Worst Case: Louis Williams

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bra ... z1N3Y7Ns8r
http://www.draftexpress.com
Elden Payton
RealGM
And1: 2,591

Post#20 » by Elden Payton » Sun May 22, 2011 11:22 am

BK will be fine, I actually think he will be better than Irving(flame away) in fact what makes people think that Kyrie Irving will be an NBA starter? is it his 8 games in college?

BK will take time but he will be worth it, i see him playing 2 a lot in his first few years before he fully transitions to the 1. I see him being a 16/5/6 with good defense type of point which i would happily take top 5 in this draft.

He could be an elite rebounding PG imo & is clutch with a better jumper than his percentage suggests.

Return to NBA Draft