What makes people think Knight is an NBA starter?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Re: What makes people think Knight is an NBA starter? 

Post#21 » by Jazzfan12 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Knight is 6'1.5, 177 pounds, I can't see how he'll play any SG early in his career or ever really.
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#22 » by carrottop12 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Sorry Kama, I've seen quite a few sources that have his birth year as 92, if I'm wrong I apologize, he'll still be one of the youngest players in the league next year.

There are just too many people writing him off based on how he played just over 30 games in college in which he was incredibly successful, I really don't get it.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#23 » by Charsace » Sun May 22, 2011 3:21 pm

erudite23 wrote:
Charsace wrote:Nothing like Holiday. Jrue is bigger and quicker laterally. Jrue is better passer, slasher, handler and defender. He's also the more creative player.

I think knight can be good, but I don't think he will ever be an allstar. There are guys that when you watch them play pre-NBA and you can see allstar potential in them. I've never seen that in Knight. At best I see him being a homeless man's Billups or super Chalmers. Knight will only look good next to slashing SG that can also create.

Yeah, I think you're right. That is why Knight put up 17.3/4.0/4.2 on 43% FGs with 3.2 TOs per game on a team that made the Final Four and lost by 1 point to the eventual NC, and Holiday put up 8.5/3.8/3.7 and 45% FGs with 2.1 TOs on a team that was eliminated in the 2nd round. Its also why Holiday went 17th in a draft that was that was considered weak at the time and why Knight is slated to go no later than 6th in the same. You are making a ton of sense.

There's more to critiquing a player than just stats man. Him and Holiday are nothing alike. Holiday barefoot is taller than knight in shoes. Holiday is also much longer and the better athlete. Their games are nothing alike. How they look to score, which is a big thing, aren't similar. Knight loves to take tough shots. When have you ever seen Holiday pull up from the 3 off the dribble with a man on him? Its the type of shot knight took at least once a game at Kentucky.
ecnirp
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#24 » by ecnirp » Sun May 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Well he carried a team with far less talent to the FInal Four. Something John Wall couldnt do with a bunch of 1st round picks. Kentucky fans will tell you flat out Knight was better than Wall as a freshman.

Knight is young. He wont be an impact player from day one. He'll go through some "MIke Conley" type years at first (meaning freshman pg that goes pro that struggles his 1st couple of years before starting to reach his potential). But I think he can be like Steph Curry in 3 or 4 years.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#25 » by ManualRam » Sun May 22, 2011 4:30 pm

ecnirp wrote:Well he carried a team with far less talent to the FInal Four. Something John Wall couldnt do with a bunch of 1st round picks. Kentucky fans will tell you flat out Knight was better than Wall as a freshman.

Knight is young. He wont be an impact player from day one. He'll go through some "MIke Conley" type years at first (meaning freshman pg that goes pro that struggles his 1st couple of years before starting to reach his potential). But I think he can be like Steph Curry in 3 or 4 years.

he didnt carry nothing.
that was a very talented team who's upperclassmen stepped up in the tourney. knight made clutch shots, but he was NOT carrying that team. that was a major difference b/t wall and knight's team. the juniors and seniors stepped up for knight's teams.
Charsace
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#26 » by Charsace » Sun May 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Difference is that Conley is a great athlete and a pure pg while Knight is neither. Conley's growing pains were a result of bad coaching. Conley was forced into a role early in his career where none of his strengths was utilized. Last season the grizz gave conley more control over the decision making on the floor and it paid of this season.

Return to NBA Draft