David Lighty

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

David Lighty 

Post#1 » by Dr Positivity » Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 pm

Very underrated right now. 6'6 with a 6'8 wingspan/8'5 standing reach, shot 43% from 3 in college and was one of the best defensive guards in the country. Solid rebounder, passes a little. Is a winning player. Should be a guaranteed rotation player, no? Let alone a drafted one, DX and Ford have him a bubble player

Does he project a worse jumpshooter than his numbers project? Cause if he can be lights out from 3 - and surely with years work, why not - Then he's absolutely perfect for one of those Bulls picks. Actually if I'm a team like the Celtics I might take him just so the Bulls don't (and he'd fit well in Boston too)
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: David Lighty 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Fri May 20, 2011 10:10 pm

looks like a future raja bell. he can shoot 3's but mostly uncontested, spot up 3's. i hope my bulls aim a little higher with their firsts. wouldnt mind him in the 2nd though.
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#3 » by RipCity71252 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:16 pm

Liked him a lot as a second round prospect for all the things you said above and I feel that much better about him after seeing his measurements. Thought he'd measure in closer to 6' 4.5".

I worry about his lack of explosiveness as it pertains to finishing in traffic and his stroke, although effective, is a bit deliberate at this point.

Don't think he'll be a elite defender at the next level as he lacks the ideal physical profile but he's hard-nosed, strong, has decent lateral quickness and good hands.

It's funny that you say he would be perfect for one of those Bulls picks. I see him as a slightly better offensively Kieth Bogans. (Better ball handler and passer. A little more slashing ability)

You could do way worse than that with a mid 2nd round pick.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#4 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 21, 2011 3:25 am

I think he's one of those once every couple draft guys that should be a lock first rounder and slips to the mid 2nd or even undrafted and then comes on like a freight train.

Like a Wesley Matthews.

I've always been a fan and felt he improved every season even if his numbers sort of flatlined.

Loved him this year, his handle is solid, good in transition, can playmake a little something something, great defender, lot of heart, fire and fight to him.
Underrated athlete.
Prototypical two guard measures.
Has become a very good 3 point shooter.
Operates equally well off the ball as on.
Kind of a jack of all trades and has legitimate NBA skills to fall back on.

He's the type of guy that likely will never be a star, but 2 or 3 seasons in and his #'s and impact are identical to his senior year college #'s as a + starter or 6xth man on a good team.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#5 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat May 21, 2011 4:01 am

Really liked him as a freshman, his only season I watched him extensively enough to feel really strongly about it.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,070

Post#6 » by UGA Hayes » Sat May 21, 2011 4:49 am

I think the issue with him is that even if he does make it he is sort of a dime a dozen type player as most lmited two guards are. He seems like he of the Keith bogans mold. You can make him work if you really good team anyway, but outside of that he isn't that attractive.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#7 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 21, 2011 5:12 am

UGA Hayes wrote:I think the issue with him is that even if he does make it he is sort of a dime a dozen type player as most lmited two guards are. He seems like he of the Keith bogans mold. You can make him work if you really good team anyway, but outside of that he isn't that attractive.

I was thinking he'll be more like Afflalo.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#8 » by shangrila » Sat May 21, 2011 5:33 am

He's ok but I don't think he's anything special. He'll get an invite from someone and will make a roster at some point, but he probably has to spend a few years in Europe first.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,150

Post#9 » by TB » Sat May 21, 2011 8:18 am

Probably my favorite 2nd rounder.

I see him as an Afflalo type with a possibility of getting to a Doug Christie level.

Return to NBA Draft