Anthony Davis

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Re: Anthony Davis 

Post#21 » by Dr Positivity » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:07 pm

I would be surprised if he's any better than Lamarcus Aldridge, which is a fine career
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#22 » by DetroitPistons » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Todd, the only thing davis and daye have in common is there physiques. Im really surprised by the lack of interest in davis. i think if he bulks up and works on his post game he could have a kevin garnett like career. those are the only two holes i see in his game. the dude is gonna be a beast. i think its gonna be a tight 3 way race for the #1 pick between drummond, davis, and barnes. Oh and has anyone heard anything about the new CBA forcing college players to stay 2 years?
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#23 » by Kabookalu » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:35 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:Todd, the only thing davis and daye have in common is there physiques. Im really surprised by the lack of interest in davis. i think if he bulks up and works on his post game he could have a kevin garnett like career. those are the only two holes i see in his game. the dude is gonna be a beast. i think its gonna be a tight 3 way race for the #1 pick between drummond, davis, and barnes. Oh and has anyone heard anything about the new CBA forcing college players to stay 2 years?

You gotta be kiddin' me.
Read on Twitter
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#24 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Nov 1, 2011 12:52 am

^ Lol relax, im asking. i saw a thread about it last week and i never rechecked it. im curious to know if anything like that has been discussed in the labor talks. as a pistons fan i would be devastated if that happened. pistons need a top pick in this draft so they can finally have a nice young core to build with.
bboyskinnylegs
RealGM
And1: 25,497

Post#25 » by bboyskinnylegs » Tue Nov 1, 2011 1:54 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:^ Lol relax, im asking. i saw a thread about it last week and i never rechecked it. im curious to know if anything like that has been discussed in the labor talks. as a pistons fan i would be devastated if that happened. pistons need a top pick in this draft so they can finally have a nice young core to build with.

It has been proposed by the owners, I don't know where it has reached in talks. It would really suck for us Raps fans, we need this draft to hopefully land that feature player (and it would REALLY be depressing to have had this happen to us a second time after missing out on Oden/Durant in the '06 draft because of a rule change).
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 1, 2011 3:03 pm

I'd compare him to a young Chris Bosh much more than Austin Daye. He obviously needs to dramatically improve his strength - hardly unusual for a HS big. I think he measured in at 208 lbs at the LeBron camp - while his soon to be small forward teammate - Gilchrist weighed in at 223. But players that age develop physically at different rates.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#27 » by theboomking » Tue Nov 1, 2011 5:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'd compare him to a young Chris Bosh much more than Austin Daye. He obviously needs to dramatically improve his strength - hardly unusual for a HS big. I think he measured in at 208 lbs at the LeBron camp - while his soon to be small forward teammate - Gilchrist weighed in at 223. But players that age develop physically at different rates.

I don't really see the Bosh comparison, other than that both are reportedly high IQ, good work ethic, high character PF's. Davis' best quality is probably his defense, followed by his athleticism/length and ability to contribute without dominating the ball. I see Davis much more as a poor man's Garnett.

The proposed rule change is imposing an age requirement of 20 year, for draft entry, I think.
BigBaller
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#28 » by BigBaller » Tue Nov 1, 2011 7:15 pm

Anthony Davis is not poor man Garnett. He is exactly Garnett and maybe better.
mid-post
Analyst
And1: 70

Post#29 » by mid-post » Tue Nov 1, 2011 10:48 pm

BigBaller wrote:Anthony Davis is not poor man Garnett. He is exactly Garnett and maybe better.

7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#30 » by 7-Day Dray » Tue Nov 1, 2011 11:51 pm

mid-post wrote:
BigBaller wrote:Anthony Davis is not poor man Garnett. He is exactly Garnett and maybe better.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 2, 2011 3:09 am

theboomking wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'd compare him to a young Chris Bosh much more than Austin Daye. He obviously needs to dramatically improve his strength - hardly unusual for a HS big. I think he measured in at 208 lbs at the LeBron camp - while his soon to be small forward teammate - Gilchrist weighed in at 223. But players that age develop physically at different rates.

I don't really see the Bosh comparison, other than that both are reportedly high IQ, good work ethic, high character PF's. Davis' best quality is probably his defense, followed by his athleticism/length and ability to contribute without dominating the ball. I see Davis much more as a poor man's Garnett.

He can't defend most bigs now simply because he's not strong enough. He'll develop for sure, but I can't imagine him ever being in KG's class defensively. KG - at 6'13" - in his prime was arguably the best defensive PF that ever played the game of basketball. From what I've seen and read, Davis has the the offensive game that Bosh had coming into the ACC - he's a very skilled offensive player - and the same type of under-developed body. KG was also very slim, but he was strong and a very rare competitor. I know you said poor man's KG, but even with the poor man's tag, I don't think that fits.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#32 » by Justwar » Wed Nov 2, 2011 3:30 am

why cant he played defense at 6'11" 225 and gaining? Wide frame, shows strength improvement, long arms, great leaper. Probably leads the nation in blocks or comes close.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#33 » by theboomking » Wed Nov 2, 2011 3:40 am

Ruzious wrote:
theboomking wrote:

He can't defend most bigs now simply because he's not strong enough. He'll develop for sure, but I can't imagine him ever being in KG's class defensively. KG - at 6'13" - in his prime was arguably the best defensive PF that ever played the game of basketball. From what I've seen and read, Davis has the the offensive game that Bosh had coming into the ACC - he's a very skilled offensive player - and the same type of under-developed body. KG was also very slim, but he was strong and a very rare competitor. I know you said poor man's KG, but even with the poor man's tag, I don't think that fits.

He's probably different from both KG and Bosh, but has certain characteristics of each. Davis certainly doesn't seem to have the KG temperament. Frankly noone does, except maybe Kendrick Perkins. KG is beyond tough, he just seems...mean, in a good way.

Davis reminds people of KG because he has similar length, is skinny, and because he is an elite shot blocker. Their games otherwise don't look that similar IMHO. The odds of any draft prospect having a career as good as Garnett's are slim. Davis has a high ceiling, but I don't expect a peak of 24.2 PT's, 13.9 rebounds, 5 AST, 2.2 BLK, 1.5 Stl, with 2.6 TO. Garnett posted MVP type numbers in 2002/03.

Anyway, Davis strikes me as a boom or bust type player. He could be a perennial All Star, or his lack of girth and strength could limit him. Davis should be awesome in transition though. Check out the dunk below. Anthony is a great athlete, and probably handles the ball better than Garnett and Bosh.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMr4kBYG42w&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 2, 2011 3:58 pm

Justwar wrote:why cant he played defense at 6'11" 225 and gaining? Wide frame, shows strength improvement, long arms, great leaper. Probably leads the nation in blocks or comes close.

Is there any evidence that he's really 225? He weighed in at 208 in the summer. Last time I saw him was in the world game where he got bullied time and again trying to defend Byombo (sp?) - who's not noted for having moves or range. On the positive side, he made up for it on the offensive end.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#35 » by ManualRam » Wed Nov 2, 2011 4:13 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Justwar wrote:why cant he played defense at 6'11" 225 and gaining? Wide frame, shows strength improvement, long arms, great leaper. Probably leads the nation in blocks or comes close.

Is there any evidence that he's really 225? He weighed in at 208 in the summer. Last time I saw him was in the world game where he got bullied time and again trying to defend Byombo (sp?) - who's not noted for having moves or range. On the positive side, he made up for it on the offensive end.

he weighed 214 this summer at the amare camp. word is that he's already put on weight since he's come to kentucky, so i could see him being around the 220 range.
he does have wide set shoulders though. dunno if he'll ever be 250, but i think he could easily achieve and play at KG or Bosh's weight. he's not like a brandan wright who not only had skinny limbs but also narrow shoulders.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#36 » by RipCity71252 » Wed Nov 2, 2011 10:48 pm

FWIW, Kentucky exhibition vs. Transylvania in 15 min on watchespn.
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#37 » by 7-Day Dray » Wed Nov 2, 2011 10:49 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:FWIW, Kentucky exhibition vs. Transylvania in 15 min on watchespn.

good look.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,047

Post#38 » by UGA Hayes » Wed Nov 2, 2011 11:02 pm

Thx for the heads up
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#39 » by kobyz » Sun Nov 6, 2011 12:57 pm

maybe he can be combination of LaMarcus Aldridge(scoring, post skilles, big man running the floor), Marcus Camby(rebounding, shot blocking inside) and Andrei Kirilenko(playmaking, passing, versatility, outside defense), and to me Anthony Davis as 6'10-6'11 player he is the best ball handler ever!!!
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,047

Post#40 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Nov 6, 2011 1:14 pm

I watched the game. He is very impressive. Unselfish in a good way and seems to have good court sense making good quick passes. Showed hints of a nice post move but is a little on the weak side atm so he is affected a little by physicality, but I think he will overcome it pretty quickly. Lack of strength also hurt him on rebounding as he was rooted off his spot a couple of times. Very active. He didn't play great but I would be shocked if he didn't develop into an awesome player.

Return to NBA Draft