Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's Yao

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

User avatar
MavfanAus
Starter
Posts: 2,023
And1: 115
Joined: Jun 25, 2008
     

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#21 » by MavfanAus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:51 am

Jury is still out on him, though one thing he will do is create a lot of basketball interest in india. Indians are known to support their sporting stars like they are gods. Not sure he'll be the next Yao, but in terms of being followed in india, he'll definitely be on the same level as the chinese public who supported Yao. If he comes into the nba and has an ok career, he could even go close to Sachin Tendulkar based on national support.
Image

lilojmayo wrote:not a fan of OJ Mayo anymore. In 5 years, OJ Mayo will be out of the NBA and probably in prison (like his father) yes..... I went there.
$incerely,
lilojmayo
User avatar
Jazza2319
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,370
And1: 97
Joined: Feb 06, 2011

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#22 » by Jazza2319 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:01 am

NOODLESTYLE wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvknOlKuBjw&feature=fvwrel[/youtube]


guy is so big he gets a 3rd number
Image
User avatar
whocurrz
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,896
And1: 1,278
Joined: Apr 14, 2011
   

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#23 » by whocurrz » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:15 am

Sofa King wrote:He needs to learn to be durable. That was Yao's problem like many bigs (Oden, Bynum, etc.) Learn to be the next Dwight.


I think the best C's in this league are gonna be the 6'9-6'11 guys like Dwight who have athleticism due to being a bit smaller and less awkward, but are just as long as 7 footers because of their wingspan. With all the blazing fast PGs in the league today these quick bigs are needed. These guys can move laterally, stay out of injury trouble and with their length and athleticism block shots and rebound just like a 7 footer. I think most 7 footers (besides the ones that are athletic) are going to be more bench players in the future.

Although this is just my analysis of a current trend, and not supposed to be some grand prediction.
Jarret Jack: “I brought one of my best suits. But looking down at this jersey, it’s just a sense of pride I don’t think I’ve ever felt as a professional. … Nothing in my closet is better than what I have on now."
tha_rock220
General Manager
Posts: 8,174
And1: 564
Joined: May 31, 2005
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#24 » by tha_rock220 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:18 am

Sofa King wrote:He needs to learn to be durable. That was Yao's problem like many bigs (Oden, Bynum, etc.) Learn to be the next Dwight.


Dwight is actually relatively normal sized. I think he's actually closer to 6-9 than 6-11. Yao was a legit 7-5 and Bynum doesn't do enough to take care of himself.

Anyhoo, there has been how many huge dudes come through the league. Anybody remember Pavel Podkolzin or Seung Jin Hah??? Just because a guy is huge and young doesn't make him a future star. Yao was a rarity in that he still would have been a good big man if he were just 7 feet. This guy lumbers awkwardly when he moves. Still, I'm sure a team will take a chance on him. How can you not when someone is that big.
Luv those Knicks wrote:you were right
User avatar
NOODLESTYLE
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,827
And1: 822
Joined: Jun 16, 2005

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#25 » by NOODLESTYLE » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:22 am

MavfanAus wrote:Jury is still out on him, though one thing he will do is create a lot of basketball interest in india. Indians are known to support their sporting stars like they are gods. Not sure he'll be the next Yao, but in terms of being followed in india, he'll definitely be on the same level as the chinese public who supported Yao. If he comes into the nba and has an ok career, he could even go close to Sachin Tendulkar based on national support.


In terms of being the next Yao, there was a FIBA U16 Asia tournament this summer in Vietnam where Satnam played in, it looks like he was the top scorer in the tournament but those box scores seem fishy and there were complaints about it. Team India went 1-4 in the tournament.

Image
Image

The supposed second leading scorer, Zhou Qi, has gotten a lot of attention as well as he supposedly scored 43, 19 rebounds, and 12 blocks in the championship game which China won.

Image

Image
User avatar
LakerLegend
RealGM
Posts: 11,198
And1: 5,240
Joined: Jun 15, 2002
Location: SoCal

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#26 » by LakerLegend » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:30 am

The one guy over 7-3ish that had a long nba career was shawn bradley. I suspect that has to do with his light weight and low minutes. Human body is not meant to be that big let alone play nba level basketball.
Stills12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,798
And1: 380
Joined: Feb 19, 2010
 

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#27 » by Stills12 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:00 am

MavfanAus wrote: If he comes into the nba and has an ok career, he could even go close to Sachin Tendulkar based on national support.

I don't think you really realize just how much Sachin is supported in India. I doubt any person will ever come close getting the support Sachin gets in India since he is literally above everyone else there (and has been for the last 15 ish years). Hell the man is capable of destroying a government just by declaring his support for the opposition within a week from the elections :lol:

If Satnam ever makes it to NBA he'll be supported there (especially in Punjab), just not anywhere close to the level Sachin or any cricketer is.
User avatar
Basketology
Senior
Posts: 564
And1: 5
Joined: Oct 10, 2010
       

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#28 » by Basketology » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 am

On a serious note, it would be absolutely amazing for the NBA to have a guy like this do well in the NBA: they would have China locked and then hopefully India, with obviously the USA would have by far the 3 largest countries population-wise highly interested in the NBA.
BJ43
Banned User
Posts: 5,429
And1: 33
Joined: Oct 08, 2009

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#29 » by BJ43 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Lakerfan17 wrote:The one guy over 7-3ish that had a long nba career was shawn bradley. I suspect that has to do with his light weight and low minutes. Human body is not meant to be that big let alone play nba level basketball.



Image

Hi, my name is Mark Eaton...I played 11 seasons in the NBA, close to 30 mins a night and hardly ever missed a game, infact in my first 10 yrs in the league you wouldn't need 2 hands to count how many games I missed...
ropjhk
RealGM
Posts: 10,814
And1: 3,132
Joined: Jul 09, 2002

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#30 » by ropjhk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:02 pm

BJ43 wrote:
Lakerfan17 wrote:The one guy over 7-3ish that had a long nba career was shawn bradley. I suspect that has to do with his light weight and low minutes. Human body is not meant to be that big let alone play nba level basketball.



Image

Hi, my name is Mark Eaton...I played 11 seasons in the NBA, close to 30 mins a night and hardly ever missed a game, infact in my first 10 yrs in the league you wouldn't need 2 hands to count how many games I missed...


lol

Image

Hi, I'm Rik Smits. I stand 7-4 and played 12 seasons in the NBA. Although not quite as durable as Mark Eaton, I averaged only a little more than 3 missed games per season my first 7 years in the league. I had 9 seasons of over 70 games played. I did get injured, but not more severely than the average NBA player.
BJ43
Banned User
Posts: 5,429
And1: 33
Joined: Oct 08, 2009

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#31 » by BJ43 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi Rik

My name is Manute, I passed away but still have access to the internet

I didn't play as many seasons as Shawn Bradley but in my first 7 seasons I played on average just under 80 games a season, things started to go downhill from there but I lasted in the NBA from age 23 till 32.

In my last 2 seasons, even though I was only playing 12 and 16 mins a game, I was still averaging 2.3 and 1.8 blocks a game.....not as good as my rookie season when I blocked 5 shots a game though 8-)
peZt
Pro Prospect
Posts: 932
And1: 715
Joined: Aug 15, 2010
Location: Germany, Turkey
   

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#32 » by peZt » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:04 pm

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
The supposed second leading scorer, Zhou Qi, has gotten a lot of attention as well as he supposedly scored 43, 19 rebounds, and 12 blocks in the championship game which China won.

Image

Image



Zhou Qi is incedible. I watched him play last year in turkey and hes just a beast. Only 15 years old, 7'1'' and moves and handles the ball like a SF.
If he stays healthy hes gonna have a huge NBA career.
BJ43
Banned User
Posts: 5,429
And1: 33
Joined: Oct 08, 2009

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#33 » by BJ43 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:46 pm

Image[/quote]

I challenge you to look at every person in this picture, start from the 3 at the bottom then maybe focus on the 2 in the back row to the left of your screen....there's no possible way you can do that without laughing...

Those could be the 5 coolest people I've ever seen in my life
teamjosh04
Senior
Posts: 678
And1: 17
Joined: Jun 08, 2008

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#34 » by teamjosh04 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:04 pm

if he had stayed in India, there would be absolutely no hope for an NBA future

but hes going to train at IMG for 4+ years? thats a huge opportunity. they are going to have him in excellent physical condition and extremely fundamentally sound. kid sounds like a hard worker too

im saying he has a shot more thanks to IMG moreso than his actual talent. im pretty sure some average college players could be fringe NBA guys if they started training at IMG at the age of 13.
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 46,187
And1: 10,670
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#35 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Also Kareem was like 7'4-7'5 in shoes
The only type of person more disingenuous than the person who's answers are not genuine, is the person whose questions are not
User avatar
MavfanAus
Starter
Posts: 2,023
And1: 115
Joined: Jun 25, 2008
     

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#36 » by MavfanAus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Still Desi wrote:
MavfanAus wrote: If he comes into the nba and has an ok career, he could even go close to Sachin Tendulkar based on national support.

I don't think you really realize just how much Sachin is supported in India. I doubt any person will ever come close getting the support Sachin gets in India since he is literally above everyone else there (and has been for the last 15 ish years). Hell the man is capable of destroying a government just by declaring his support for the opposition within a week from the elections :lol:

If Satnam ever makes it to NBA he'll be supported there (especially in Punjab), just not anywhere close to the level Sachin or any cricketer is.


No no, I understand how important Sachin is. I never said Bhamara will get to that level, I said he could go close (never said on par) to Sachin ;)
Image

lilojmayo wrote:not a fan of OJ Mayo anymore. In 5 years, OJ Mayo will be out of the NBA and probably in prison (like his father) yes..... I went there.
$incerely,
lilojmayo
User avatar
SUN
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,647
And1: 709
Joined: Feb 21, 2010

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#37 » by SUN » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:19 am

Gheorge Muresan.
Image
JamesNaismith
Banned User
Posts: 6,929
And1: 5
Joined: Jul 05, 2009
Location: #Breaking backboards on the peachbasket!*

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#38 » by JamesNaismith » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:02 am

Failed cricket players.
gensu3k1
Senior
Posts: 728
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 22, 2003

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#39 » by gensu3k1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:44 pm

IMG isn't going to be taking a shot like this for no reason. He's a physical specimen and if he puts the work in, who knows?
Zach Randolph + Kevin Durant >>>>>>> Greg Oden. Bob Whitsitt>>>>>> Kevin Pritchard.
"Jan Vesely, this guy can really shoot it." --Jay Bilas, 2011
Collie
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,419
And1: 392
Joined: May 21, 2007

Re: Basketball prodigy Satnam Singh Bhamara could be India's 

Post#40 » by Collie » Thu Feb 9, 2012 1:47 pm

Kareem was 7'3 to 7'4, lasted 20 goddamn years.

Return to NBA Draft