Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: the next big asian thing 

Post#21 » by ManualRam » Sun Jul 8, 2012 10:11 pm

JustMagic wrote:
pohani komarac wrote:rumours say he is 92. born

I think those rumours are bs. It will be realy stupid of China (or the kid himself) to do something like this, especailly nowadays that everyhing is online. It's not that strange for a 1,3 billion nation to have 1 7ft athletic kid evevry couple of years.

boogie-reke wrote:Are you sure he's 7'2? They have him listed as 6'11 in the FIBA worlds

He's averaged 14 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blk, 2 ast, 1.5 steal and 3 TO per game - shooting 47% from the field (50% from 3 on 4 attempts) and a very impressive 85% from the line, playing 30 minutes per game.

They rounded down to 6-11 but he is 2.12 cm, which is a bit under 7ft and usually it's without shoes. So you can say he's 7-1 by NBA standards.
He's also a year younger than most players in the tournament.

China lying about the age of their athletes is nothing new. It was stupid when they lied before and it would be stupid now.

China has more 7'ers than any country in the world. So no, it would not be surprising if they had a few athletic ones. That has nothing to do with them possibly lying about ages.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
maoriboy
Pro Prospect
And1: 168

Post#22 » by maoriboy » Sun Jul 8, 2012 11:01 pm

After the next big Asian thing, comes the usual black thing and the surprisingly athletic white thing. :roll:
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#23 » by pohani komarac » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:06 am

JustMagic wrote:
pohani komarac wrote:rumours say he is 92. born

I think those rumours are bs. It will be realy stupid of China (or the kid himself) to do something like this, especailly nowadays that everyhing is online. It's not that strange for a 1,3 billion nation to have 1 7ft athletic kid evevry couple of years.

boogie-reke wrote:Are you sure he's 7'2? They have him listed as 6'11 in the FIBA worlds

He's averaged 14 pts, 10 rebs, 4 blk, 2 ast, 1.5 steal and 3 TO per game - shooting 47% from the field (50% from 3 on 4 attempts) and a very impressive 85% from the line, playing 30 minutes per game.

They rounded down to 6-11 but he is 2.12 cm, which is a bit under 7ft and usually it's without shoes. So you can say he's 7-1 by NBA standards.
He's also a year younger than most players in the tournament.

i'm not saying it's truth, just said about rumours. there was chines guy on nba draft net who said that....also he has same size like last year. it's strange, but can happen...but we will probably never know for sure

ut
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,081

Post#24 » by sisibilio » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:39 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m__8b4R7y3w[/youtube]
Seems to be filling out nicely.

Bonus track: China vs Spain u 17 played last summer. Spain featuring top prospect Ilimane Diop.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GekwCIzbBA[/youtube]
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:57 pm

He doesn't look particularly fluid. Fair on not, after Yi being a total flop in the NBA and with the questions about his age, it's going to be hard to believe in a thin Chinese big.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#26 » by sisibilio » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:14 pm

First game in the u19 world champs and nearly recorded a triple double vs Russia.

28 points 17 rebounds 2 assists 9 blocks
11/19 FG - 6/7 FT

http://prague2013.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe ... /game.html
Tomorrow China plays vs USA.
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#27 » by No-Man » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:55 pm

He reminds me of Kelly Olynyk, bouncier.

Nothing special, maybe a useful 3rd big if he makes it.
interbasket
Banned User
And1: 24

Post#28 » by interbasket » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 pm

FIBA youth tournaments routinely list players 2-3 inches shorter than they actually are. Not for Team USA, but for all other teams it is very common.
sisibilio
Head Coach

Post#29 » by sisibilio » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:49 pm

Fischella wrote:He reminds me of Kelly Olynyk, bouncier.

Nothing special, maybe a useful 3rd big if he makes it.

You lack any credibility. You just hatin cuz he light skinned.

Zhou will be champ!

WANT CAN DO!
@MikePradaSBN

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#30 » by ManualRam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:18 pm

1pt 4reb 2blk 2TO in 15 min vs USA.

USA's got some bullies in their frontline.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#31 » by willywazza » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:13 am

Has potential. Still raw as hell though.

Would love to see him in the NBA someday.

Have seen this guy in real life. His team played my brother's high school team last year and WOW, what a big kid. Definitely a legitimate 7'2.
Mundo
Pro Prospect
And1: 34

Post#32 » by Mundo » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:41 am

False.

The next big asian star is Wang Zhelin.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ3D4bmkNUo[/youtube]
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#33 » by doc.end » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:47 pm

ManualRam wrote:1pt 4reb 2blk 2TO in 15 min vs USA.

USA's got some bullies in their frontline.

Not really the reason. I neven saw someone more desinterested into happenings on court. Before the game he kind of stood alone not chatting with teammates much, then joined shootaround making all "standers" nothing but net not far from 3pt line. Then in first minute and half of play he had two defensive rebounds and rejected big time someone (haven't noticed who) - USA won the tip off, scored and then steal immediately an it took almost a minute for China to even cross halfcourt line, hence the defensive stats acumulated. Then on offense he just slowly wandered towards american basket and just stood there (far from basket) like all he wanted was a nod that he can return to their defensive site, occasionaly halfheartly screening if the play gets near him by accident. He got subbed quickly and later in the game did something but nothing special, except another sopund rejection. Bowed towards both sidelines to audience when going to bench. I don't know what to think aboiut it, it is unlikely we would get any inside info from chinese nt but considering his numbers day before this can't be his usual showing I guess. Maybe something troubled him, maybe he was told to rest for other games, maybe he was sick, maybe it was just a lack of effort, who knows.

That being said, the other chinese center, Wu Quanxi, was clearly enjoying himself, was all smiles with his teammates since before the game, played with effort, didn't avoid contact and showed some post moves (and scored that way). They couldn't be different that night, both body language and body type wise.

When we are at it Yuan Shuai (No.6) had a pretty good game, great three point shooter, woudl have bigger impact if he could get the ball more, his guard mates were trying a bit too much by themselves sometimes. Boxed out bigger opponents on defense repeatedly. His made shots was so nothing but net, effortless, I was actually shocked when I realized he missed a three later in hte game (from boxscore he obviously missed some more meanhile, but I didn't notice and may have been observing bigs battling for position instead). Played more as an off-guard on most possesions.

Edit: Correction, I mixed the other center's name. Now, corrected.
doc.end
General Manager

Post#34 » by doc.end » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:52 pm

And for the record his height in offical programme is 217cm.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#35 » by ManualRam » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:52 pm

doc.end wrote:And for the record his height in offical programme is 217cm.

im guessing youre there watching. is there any other way to watch these games?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
doc.end
General Manager

Post#36 » by doc.end » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Were there yesterday. There are streams, official and "unofficial".

http://www.livebasketball.tv/

There should be streams online on sites of respective national tvs which broadcast (some) matches. But usually you need to have IP of those countries.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#37 » by ManualRam » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:49 pm

livebasketball didnt show either US game so far
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,394

Post#38 » by Nuntius » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:41 pm

doc.end wrote:Were there yesterday. There are streams, official and "unofficial".

http://www.livebasketball.tv/

There should be streams online on sites of respective national tvs which broadcast (some) matches. But usually you need to have IP of those countries.

I know that I've been trying for the past 3 days to watch an "unofficial" stream but came up empty every time :(
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
EddieJonesFan
Starter
And1: 438

Post#39 » by EddieJonesFan » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:42 pm

When will he start playing for the CBA?