Can Kendall Marshall become a top PG in NBA?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Re: Can Kendall Marshall become a top PG in NBA? 

Post#21 » by Neon1 » Fri Jun 1, 2012 7:44 pm

Little Digger wrote:Way more size and talent than Mark Jackson lol

Sit down youngster, Grown folk are talking here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv9ZE-KY4Iw[/youtube]
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
xprt
Sixth Man
And1: 69

Post#22 » by xprt » Fri Jun 1, 2012 8:45 pm

shaolin wrote:Question: If Marshall lacks above-average athleticism, defensive impact and above-average shooting, what makes him better than any better euroleague pg aged 21-24?

Well I dont know any pg under 24 in Europe who sees floor and pass like him. I see him Rubio with worser D.
Dr Mufasa wrote:I believe Jonas will be one of the biggest draft busts of all time.To me he's an unathletic Javale McGee.
xprt
Sixth Man
And1: 69

Post#23 » by xprt » Fri Jun 1, 2012 8:47 pm

Neon1 wrote:

Sit down youngster, Grown folk are talking here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv9ZE-KY4Iw[/youtube]

DX has him Worst Case: Mark Jackson lol
Dr Mufasa wrote:I believe Jonas will be one of the biggest draft busts of all time.To me he's an unathletic Javale McGee.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#24 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 1, 2012 8:51 pm

One thing I like as well is that if you look at Minnesota this year with Rubio and without, just having that passing, I want to make you better team really pushed everyone else to jump in on the ball movement IMO. I think Marshall could have that type of cultural impact. You put him running point on the Blazers and I bet whatever the hell mental/team play collapse happened to them last year doesn't repeat itself

The better question is can Machado become a top PG and are we about to see one of the most embarrasing "35 teams passed on him why???" type of situations in years. This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5E7YdM ... r_embedded that I also posted in the other thread kind of blew me away. Tbh I think the creativity/difficulty of his passes in that vid are a step above Marshall's and even Rubio esque. Maybe a duck is a duck and a guy who put up the better assist per game season since 95 just is that good at passing. He even has quickness, a 3pt shot and solid finishing at the rim moves as well (and good 2P% for statistical indication), so wth
CDansby
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Post#25 » by CDansby » Fri Jun 1, 2012 9:27 pm

I was just told that Chad Ford has Kendall Marshall falling all the way to the Mavs at 17, can someone confirm that for me (I'm not an insider on ESPN). No way he falls that far, that would probably change the Mavs Deron Williams plans.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#26 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jun 1, 2012 9:35 pm

CDansby wrote:I was just told that Chad Ford has Kendall Marshall falling all the way to the Mavs at 17, can someone confirm that for me (I'm not an insider on ESPN). No way he falls that far, that would probably change the Mavs Deron Williams plans.

The thing is that 12 - Mil, 14 - Hou, 15 - Phi - 16 Hou aren't drafting PG. So after NOH assumingly takes one of Lillard or Marshall 10th, the only real spots for them are 11th to Portland and 13th to Phoenix, so it's pretty reasonable one of them falls to 17. On my last mock I had Waiters for Portland at 11 and Sullinger for Phx at 13, so Marshall ended up at 17 to DAL
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,508

Post#27 » by sikma42 » Fri Jun 1, 2012 9:48 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:I don't think his defense matters, guys like Nash, Deron, and Westbrook are horrific defensively and it doesn't effect their team much at all. I'm much more concerned about his inability to make completely open jumpers or finish at the rim.

since when are Deron Williams and Russel Westbrook horrible defenders.... :lol:
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,366

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:00 pm

CDansby wrote:I was just told that Chad Ford has Kendall Marshall falling all the way to the Mavs at 17, can someone confirm that for me (I'm not an insider on ESPN). No way he falls that far, that would probably change the Mavs Deron Williams plans.

Yes, that is what Chad Ford has in the mock. But I don't think that would change their plans for Deron Williams.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,786

Post#29 » by floppymoose » Fri Jun 1, 2012 10:45 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:I don't think his defense matters, guys like Nash, Deron, and Westbrook are horrific defensively and it doesn't effect their team much at all. I'm much more concerned about his inability to make completely open jumpers or finish at the rim.

This. In today's nba pg defense is nice but not necessary. Your bigs are where the defense happens.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#30 » by Golabki » Fri Jun 1, 2012 11:02 pm

Top NBA PG? no. Solid starting NBA PG? probably not. 15 mpg back-up PG? If he's lucky. Next Marcus Williams? yes.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#31 » by old rem » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:15 am

He scored 8 ppg and .......having potentially 3 top 10 guys to pass to,pads the assists. Didn't look like a Jason Kidd or Rubio to me, more like a Mike Conley. He can become a starter,i suppose but no top 10 PG. It ain't 1963 when you might have a "playmaker" G who's only job was dribble and pass. Now, you need SOME scoring and decent D.
CENSORED... No comment.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,432

Post#32 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:20 am

floppymoose wrote:

This. In today's nba pg defense is nice but not necessary. Your bigs are where the defense happens.

Well to nit pick, it really starts on the perimeter, but it's your wings, not your point guard that matters most and one of your 2 bigs has to be at least adequate on pick and roll switches.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#33 » by TheToothFairy » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:22 am

Umm, Mark Jackson was the Rookie of the year
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#34 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:24 am

old rem wrote:

He scored 8 ppg and .......having potentially 3 top 10 guys to pass to,pads the assists. Didn't look like a Jason Kidd or Rubio to me, more like a Mike Conley. He can become a starter,i suppose but no top 10 PG. It ain't 1963 when you might have a "playmaker" G who's only job was dribble and pass. Now, you need SOME scoring and decent D.

Wouldn't him having all those offensive options to pass to, coupled with his court vision, passing and playmaking ability also contribute to his not averaging many ppg?

And IDK if you watched much UNC this season, or even last towards the end, but he definitely looks the part of a Kidd or Rubio relative to the college level.

I'm not saying that will translate directly, but he made an enormous amount of "Holy **** did you see that?!" level thread the needle passes and when he wasn't, and instead was making more basic passes, he seemed to ALWAYS know EXACTLY where to put the ball in order for his teammates to succeed and score efficiently.

Just a surgeon running an offense.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,826

Post#35 » by Klomp » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:24 am

hsfolk wrote:If Marshall is still on board at #10, then I'd like the Hornets to take him to pair with Eric Gordon and Anthony Davis

This would be the best case scenario for Anthony Davis (yes, I meant Davis and not Marshall)
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Superiorblogman
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#36 » by Superiorblogman » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:57 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Superiorblogman wrote:Solid backup from the beginning. He just does not effect the game in enough ways to be a perennial all-star though. Unless, he falls to a playoff team. He is a player that needs to fall because he is not the answer for any of these lottery teams other than maybe Portland.

IDK man.

He doesn't need to be a perennial All Star to be a perennial top 10 point guard.

I think he's a fine lotto pick, pretty much anywhere outside the top 5.

Again I'd be surprised if he didn't have a career at least like Andre Miller.

He's not the same in style, at least from a scoring aspect, but just tier level and the way he's a leader and has great court vision and passing and makes his teammates better.

But Marshall seems to have a better work ethic and approach to the games.

Miller is dedicated enough, but he's a self admitted loves his summers off guy that only did what he needed to, to stay in shape and only went the extra mile, instead of the extra extra mile.

And although Miller's cool calm, almost apathetic demeanor helps in some situations, I like Kendall's fiery go get, I'm going to bust my ass to become the absolute best I can be and an extra foot attitude.

Just say it like this... when Miller was younger and more athletic, he didn't rely nearly as much on that post game he developed. So imagine Miller with a deadly 3 point shot and a more aggressive winning is everything and everything else is nothing mentality?

If Kendall works on his shot heavily, gets himself in better shape where he at least can be a mediocre defender and can finish a touch better, we could be looking at a really great point guard.

Too many if's to be putting him in the same sentence with a player that Karl claims is top 10 PG of all time
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#37 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jun 2, 2012 6:19 am

LOL, that statement by George Karl was as asinine as they come. An absurd claim.

The guys never even been out of the first round, ever.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#38 » by No-Man » Sat Jun 2, 2012 7:48 am

I'm from Spain and Marshall is WAY more talented than Rubio on the offensive-end, better touch, better range, better shooter, and for me, better player, especially in transition, Rubio is a better defender and has a more athletic body and is a stronger guy, but Marshall can be there with some work.

Marshall is an underrated shooter and finisher in my opinion.
Superiorblogman
Banned User

Post#39 » by Superiorblogman » Sat Jun 2, 2012 2:27 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:LOL, that statement by George Karl was as asinine as they come. An absurd claim.

The guys never even been out of the first round, ever.

I agree with you that the statement was a royal reach but I still really like Miller and Mark Jackson guys that made several teams better. Think of them as lessor J Kidds, what does Kidd have on them the multiple finals appearances and the one championship. All of these are guys people try to put Marshall in the same breathe with and I just don't see it. A guy like Marshall is not going to woe anyone in any situation other than winning and making teammates better. He has to do that on the court so I just can't be hyping that type of player. He is Marcus Williams until he proves otherwise. Go back and check Williams assist numbers playing with a loaded UConn team. He was also not a great athlete, shooter, or scorer. I like Marshall to a certain extinct though but I think the team he lands on is crucial.
DC2
Senior

Post#40 » by DC2 » Sat Jun 2, 2012 3:14 pm

Rubio was a much better prospect than Marshall is and will ever will be. Rubio has the best ball handling and passing ability i've ever seen and his defense is very under rated. I don't think Marshall should be a lottery pick and no he won't be a top point guard in the NBA. The only reason he is rated where he is is because there are a lack of top level point guards in this draft.

Return to NBA Draft