Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Rudy Gobert 

Post#21 » by ManualRam » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:00 am

shaolin wrote:
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Rudy Gobert measuring 214 cm (a little over 7-feet) without shoes at the #adidasEuroCamp

Rudy Gobert's wingspan measured 236 centimeter, a hair under 7-9. Longest wingspan in our database

[ed. i believe Ilimane Diop has a 7'9" wingspan as well, being 3 years younger]

OT: but mamadou ndiaye was measured at the NBPA top 100 camp with an 8'1 wingspan.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
7-Day Dray
Assistant Coach
And1: 5

Post#22 » by 7-Day Dray » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:09 am

ManualRam wrote:
shaolin wrote:
Jonathan Givony ‏@DraftExpress

Rudy Gobert measuring 214 cm (a little over 7-feet) without shoes at the #adidasEuroCamp

Rudy Gobert's wingspan measured 236 centimeter, a hair under 7-9. Longest wingspan in our database

[ed. i believe Ilimane Diop has a 7'9" wingspan as well, being 3 years younger]

OT: but mamadou ndiaye was measured at the NBPA top 100 camp with an 8'1 wingspan.

Do you have a list of the full measurements for the camp?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#23 » by ManualRam » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 am

no. i just read that in a recap.

or...maybe im confusing 2 different camps. ndiaye was also measured at the amare skills camp.
in any case, ndiaye's listed here with an 8'1 wingpsan.
http://www.nikeeyb.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Alpha.pdf
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
coutournant
Junior
And1: 75

Post#24 » by coutournant » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Gobert doing some damage against Italy, great defense in his first game with french NT

Streaming :

http://www.hahasport.com/v-4/2/12/v-421252.html

Boxscore :

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/38 ... CJtqGhy7Y/
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#25 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Gobert is currently a top 5 talent in the 2013 draft.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#26 » by ManualRam » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:44 pm

i usually dont like players with his build (skinny with the high hips, high center of gravity and long legs), because it looks like they're moving against the wind. like isaiah austin, i dont like the way he moves. i think he'll have trouble maneuvering around nba defenders, which he'll have to do because he's so painfully thin. gobert shows better mobility. i dont see much skill, his shot is super ugly and he's a bit spastic, but at least he has length and mobility.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
coutournant
Junior

Post#27 » by coutournant » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 pm

I think he will gain some weight. He can grow into his body like his father dis. His father (Rudy Bourgarel) was a skinny seven footer before he went to university (Marist), was strong as an ox at the age of 25. Despite his body Gobert is not soft, he tries to go hard at the rim, that's a positive sign. Today he surprised a lot of people but it was quite easy for him because Italian big men were very weak, I want to see him against strong international big men
re49gb_2gho32fp
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#28 » by re49gb_2gho32fp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Suffice it to say he's very raw at present. Not only is he not dominating the fiba europe u-20 championship thus far, he's struggling to accumulate starter minutes on his own team. Does very little outside of blocks and offensive putbacks.

The second round of said tournament is underway. link here:
http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/

advanced stats for the tourney
http://www.in-the-game.org/?page_id=19393

I like Nastic out of Stanford. Baffling that he's marginalized at stanford .
coutournant
Junior

Post#29 » by coutournant » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Gobert is really disappointing during this U20 Euro but there is many reasons why.
He was not on the U20 team during the end of the preparation since he was with French senior NT, that's why he is not totally integreted.
He is the last option offensively in the starting five, he never touches the ball : only 3 shots per game. French team has a lot of offensive talent in this generation like Toupane, Westermann, Labeyrie, Jean-Charles etc.
There is a real competition at the center spot between him and two major french prospects : Louis Labeyrie (6'11 PF/C with great motor, offensive skills and mobility) and Vincent Pourchot (7'4 with good hands). That's why he plays only 20 minutes per game.
He doesn't rebound a lot but France dominated all opponents in this area, so it was not a need. He leads the tournament in blocks, that is the only satisfaction for Gobert, and a big one : 3.4 blocks in 20mpg is very impressive. He's the Goalkeeper of the team...

Despite his bad stats and raw offensive game, I think Gobert is still the best prospect in this team full of talent. With his length, he was really impressive with the Senior NT, against real men.
Sabas11
Senior
And1: 385

Post#30 » by Sabas11 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:06 pm

Strong performance by Gobert this evening against Slovenia in the Euro U20 quarterfinals. 16 points (6/9, 4/4 FT), 12 rebounds, 3 blocks. Was his usual dominant self defensively but this time even kept a struggling France afloat offensively in the 1st half.

Léo Westermann (Nike Hoop Summit, signed to Partizan Belgrade next year) also had a great game with 21 points and 7 assists. Semi-Finals will take place tomorrow between first Serbia and Lithuania and then France and Spain
coutournant
Junior

Post#31 » by coutournant » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Another good game from Gobert against Spain in semi-finals. The big man intimidated the Spain team and finished with 7pt 10rb and 5 impressive blocks. Gobert could be better on offense if french guard would have given him the ball more. He is very efficient offensively, nearly unblockable at this level.

Tomorrow France plays against Lithuania for the final...
sisibilio
Head Coach
And1: 1,070

Post#32 » by sisibilio » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:16 pm

coutournant wrote:Another good game from Gobert against Spain in semi-finals. The big man intimidated the Spain team and finished with 7pt 10rb and 5 impressive blocks. Gobert could be better on offense if french guard would have given him the ball more. He is very efficient offensively, nearly unblockable at this level.

Tomorrow France plays against Lithuania for the final...

To be honest he had no competition, the better big man for Spain was Dani Diez, who is really a SF .
If you want to try to measure the elements of basketball that are supposedly unmeasurable, spend a game just watching Marc Gasol.
@MikePradaSBN

Wembanyama was created to end all LeBron vs Jordan debates
coutournant
Junior

Post#33 » by coutournant » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Good Final game for Gobert : 9pt 10rb 6blk against Lithuania but France lost because of the bad game of its leader Leo Westermann.
Gobert was very impressive defensively, his blocks and intimidation allowed France to come back in the game, but he was not involved offensively enough despite his high efficiency (59%FG 81%FT).
He's been elected in the All-Tournament Team
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#34 » by pohani komarac » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:53 pm

coutournant wrote:Good Final game for Gobert : 9pt 10rb 6blk against Lithuania but France lost because of the bad game of its leader Leo Westermann.
Gobert was very impressive defensively, his blocks and intimidation allowed France to come back in the game, but he was not involved offensively enough despite his high efficiency (59%FG 81%FT).
He's been elected in the All-Tournament Team

like most people i wonder wtf....he was very bad trough tournamet and jet selected in all tornament team....i guess do to poor center competition

he was not involed in ofense because at this point he can't do thing besides open dunks.

he is raw that it scares how raw he is and blocking is only thing he is good at at this point

like somebody wrote yeasterday on twitter:

Eurohopes‏@Eurohopes

:-) "@juan_cobos: @ChristopheEPcom projected who by?internet guru?gobert is ajinca's cousin. what a potential bust"

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

he dosen't box out, he dosen't know how to establish position, he dosen't have single move in post, loses his position on defense......it will take him tons of development if he wannts to become usefull nba player
coutournant
Junior

Post#35 » by coutournant » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Comparison with Ajinça is very lazy to me, it sounds like pure hating here :o
Gobert doesn't box out or establishes position, but he's the best rebounder per minute in the competition.
He's raw on offense, but he never touches the ball. He's got coordination, good hands, he moves well despite his length. He's still learning how to play center, like Anthony Davis he was not playing in the paint before his growth spurt.
Criticism are hard, his impact was real on defense yesterday, many times Lithuania couldn't shoot. I think he was a lot more valuable than the MVP Westermann in semis and finals (IMO Cizkauzkas deserved the MVP trophy more)
There was no Enes Kanter or Valanciunas, so tell me who was the best center in this Tournament ? He totally destroyed his only rival, Alen Omic, in quarter-finals...

Gobert needs to improve all the facets of his game, for sure, but he's only 20 years old. The upside is huge.
Sabas11
Senior

Post#36 » by Sabas11 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Sorry but it doesn't get much more ignorant than comparing Gobert to Ajinca. Gobert is far from being a flawless player but you'll have to do better than that.

They both have similar body types but Ajinca is a mental midget that thinks he is a SF who can jack up 3s while playing in the paint from time to time. Gobert understands his position is in the paint. Not to mention he is already ten times the defender Ajinca ever was.

If you don't see the defensive potential in Gobert, then I really don't know what to tell you. You simply can't teach the way he alters shots in the paint. Also he has excellent mobility which enables him to defend the PNR effectively. When France was switching everything on defense, the Lithuanian guards couldn't take advantage of it because he can cover so much ground despite his height. He has to get better at not biting on pump fakes and although his rebounding is good he can also improve there.

On offense, he's not going to be a 20 ppg player, at any level. Firstly he has to learn how to seal his defender and make himself available. Then if he can get one or two consistent post moves, he'll be fine. Easier said than done, obviously. But he understands the PNR and does have good hands. So the worst case scenario is you have to pair him with a good PG and his reach and jump will enable to catch and dunk everything around the basket. His jumpshot is ugly but he hits his FT at a good rate for a big man so that's one problem less to worry about.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if he ends up worse than a guy like Samuel Dalembert, i.e average middle-of-the-pack C in the NBA. At best, Dikembe Mutombo 2.0. Realistically, Tyson Chandler.
pohani komarac
Senior

Post#37 » by pohani komarac » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:47 pm

coutournant wrote:Comparison with Ajinça is very lazy to me, it sounds like pure hating here :o
Gobert doesn't box out or establishes position, but he's the best rebounder per minute in the competition.
He's raw on offense, but he never touches the ball. He's got coordination, good hands, he moves well despite his length. He's still learning how to play center, like Anthony Davis he was not playing in the paint before his growth spurt.
Criticism are hard, his impact was real on defense yesterday, many times Lithuania couldn't shoot. I think he was a lot more valuable than the MVP Westermann in semis and finals (IMO Cizkauzkas deserved the MVP trophy more)
There was no Enes Kanter or Valanciunas, so tell me who was the best center in this Tournament ? He totally destroyed his only rival, Alen Omic, in quarter-finals...

Gobert needs to improve all the facets of his game, for sure, but he's only 20 years old. The upside is huge.

not comparison with anjica...i just think he is way overreated at this point...best C---yes, but not in best 5...but i gueass they had to put center

he is best rebounder per minute, but manny rebounds were tips when he lost ball insted box out and let his teamates catch ball

he has potential, but at this point he can't play serius basketball, thqat doesn't mean he won't be able in future

hateing??? lol-----i realy don't understand mentality, but why the hell here critic is decribed as hating???......what's the point of conversation if critic opinion is categorized as hate and person can't write his critic opinion? i guess it's difrence in mentality
coutournant
Junior

Post#38 » by coutournant » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:36 am

I don't think you are a hater, but the man who wrote "Gobert = Ajinca = bust" is probably one :o That's so irrelevant !
Sabas11
Senior

Post#39 » by Sabas11 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:08 pm

pohani komarac wrote:
hateing??? lol-----i realy don't understand mentality, but why the hell here critic is decribed as hating???......what's the point of conversation if critic opinion is categorized as hate and person can't write his critic opinion? i guess it's difrence in mentality

The problem is your criticism is too vague and unjustified. See for example:

he has potential, but at this point he can't play serius basketball

When you make blanket statement like that, don't be surprised if you get called out. Honestly, you don't think a good European team, let's say an above-average Eurocup team, could use Gobert right now, at least for defensive purposes?
pohani komarac
Senior

Post#40 » by pohani komarac » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 pm

i doubt....besides teams who are redy to risk few wins for his development

still....i don't get this abaut criticsm....it's all constructive and explained :-?

Return to NBA Draft