Michael Carter-Williams

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Re: Michael Carter-Williams 

Post#61 » by Cammo101 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:16 am

Watching that game today had to make anyone with eyes question MCW's ability to play point guard in the NBA. He turned the ball over a ton, struggled mightily with Louisville's pressure, and had a really hard time getting by his defender.

The kid is clearly talented and he made some big plays late, but I do not see an NBA point guard here. He is going to have to play with another ball handler in the backcourt with him. That is how Syracuse hides a lot of his deficiencies.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#62 » by PerkinsFor3 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 am

I wouldn't touch any Syracuse player with a stick. Carmelo is the deviation.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#63 » by JN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

As a Syracuse fan, here is my view on Saturday and overall.

MCW was brutal in the first half, almost outstanding in the second half against Louisville. Boehiem played him off the ball more than 50% of the time in the second half and it worked for MCW and the Orange.. let Triche handle the press. It seemed to free the mind of MCW, where he was able to make plays both offensively and defensively. I don't know if the second half helped or hurt his status because he played off the ball much more than normal. But it sure helped me as a SU fan.

The shooting, handles, and turnovers are a concern. Very good vision, potentially a very good defender --although its always hard to scout in the 2-3 where anticipation rather than one on one d are highlighted.

If the Raps had a gaping hole at PG and the 10th pick, I would probably look elsewhere before selecting MCW. I think he is a late lotto / mid first material but I am not gushing over him.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,925

Post#64 » by JN » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:17 pm

loot wrote:I wouldn't touch any Syracuse player with a stick. Carmelo is the deviation.

None of the kids that have been drafted out of Syracuse since Melo are bad kids with the exception of Fab Melo, Just players that were drafted too high.

I will take 5 consecutive years with a top three seed.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#65 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:52 pm

JN wrote:As a Syracuse fan, here is my view on Saturday and overall.

MCW was brutal in the first half, almost outstanding in the second half against Louisville. Boehiem played him off the ball more than 50% of the time in the second half and it worked for MCW and the Orange.. let Triche handle the press. It seemed to free the mind of MCW, where he was able to make plays both offensively and defensively. I don't know if the second half helped or hurt his status because he played off the ball much more than normal. But it sure helped me as a SU fan.

The shooting, handles, and turnovers are a concern. Very good vision, potentially a very good defender --although its always hard to scout in the 2-3 where anticipation rather than one on one d are highlighted.

If the Raps had a gaping hole at PG and the 10th pick, I would probably look elsewhere before selecting MCW. I think he is a late lotto / mid first material but I am not gushing over him.

I am. And I'm not a Syracuse fan. Or a Raptor fan. I'm a Bucks and a Badger fan. I'd trade Jennings right now if it would give me draft rights to MCW. Remember he's had very little experience against top-flight teams. Louiville might have the toughest press in the country. By the way, I also love Phil Pressey. As do a lot of pro scouts. Pressey had 10 tos against Florida last Saturday and didn't play well in any part of the game. And he's an experienced jr. unlike MCW who's just a soph. I still like both guards a lot.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#66 » by [RCG] » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 pm

JN wrote:
loot wrote:I wouldn't touch any Syracuse player with a stick. Carmelo is the deviation.

None of the kids that have been drafted out of Syracuse since Melo are bad kids with the exception of Fab Melo, Just players that were drafted too high.

Wes Johnson and Flynn should never have been drafted at all.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#67 » by mattg » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:

I am. And I'm not a Syracuse fan. Or a Raptor fan. I'm a Bucks and a Badger fan. I'd trade Jennings right now if it would give me draft rights to MCW. Remember he's had very little experience against top-flight teams. Louiville might have the toughest press in the country. By the way, I also love Phil Pressey. As do a lot of pro scouts. Pressey had 10 tos against Florida last Saturday and didn't play well in any part of the game. And he's an experienced jr. unlike MCW who's just a soph. I still like both guards a lot.

I'm not convinced MCW can be an effective starting PG in the nba. His handle and propensity for turnovers are real big question marks. To me he's a bit like Iman Shumpert in that regard. Long, defensive guards who played the point in college, but aren't suited to be full time PGs in the nba.
Cusefan03
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#68 » by Cusefan03 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Mcw with another clutch performance. Team was down 7 and he just took over the game, he started the game 1-4 from the field and finished 5-6 with most of the shots coming in the last 8 or 9 minutes. The only miss was an air ball from about 25 feet. He may not be a great shooter but he makes shots when it counts. Also had 7 assists and 5 boards with 3 to's but none in the second half.
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... -big-dunk/
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#69 » by Johnlac1 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 am

mattg wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:

I'm not convinced MCW can be an effective starting PG in the nba. His handle and propensity for turnovers are real big question marks. To me he's a bit like Iman Shumpert in that regard. Long, defensive guards who played the point in college, but aren't suited to be full time PGs in the nba.

I don't think he's anything like Shumpert. Shumpert can be a real good pro, but MCW is a much smarter player with superior pg skills compared to Shumpert. Or most other guards in college.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#70 » by princeofpalace » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:26 am

I dont buy that MCW is turnover prone, he has 3TOs a game to 9 assists, thats a 3 to 1 ratio- which is pretty damn good for a PG so I think all of this talk is blown way out of proportion.
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#71 » by mattg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 am

I hate saying stuff like this, but do you guys watch games or just look at the stats and see "oh he has a solid A/T ratio he's not turnover prone". I'm not trying to downplay stats whatsoever, but you also gotta see how the numbers come about. It's painfully obvious that MCW does not have a very good handle, even for the college level. He has ball control issues and they have manifested themselves when he's faced ball pressure. So when you watch a game and a 6' guard completely bothers the guy as he's trying to merely advance the ball past half court, it's something to take note of.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#72 » by [RCG] » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:58 am

princeofpalace wrote:I dont buy that MCW is turnover prone, he has 3TOs a game to 9 assists, thats a 3 to 1 ratio- which is pretty damn good for a PG so I think all of this talk is blown way out of proportion.

The only other pure point guard in the draft, Trey Burke, averages half the turnovers per game. It might be slightly blown out of proportion but it is still a legitimate concern. To me it seems that MCW is just inconsistent. Look at the game logs and he'll have many nights with only 1 or 2 TOs then a game with 5 or 6, equaling his assist total for the night.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#73 » by Cammo101 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:31 am

MCW is a very good player, of that there is no argument. The million dollar question is whether he is a point guard in the NBA and I just do not see it.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#74 » by princeofpalace » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:48 am

[RCG] wrote:
princeofpalace wrote:I dont buy that MCW is turnover prone, he has 3TOs a game to 9 assists, thats a 3 to 1 ratio- which is pretty damn good for a PG so I think all of this talk is blown way out of proportion.

The only other pure point guard in the draft, Trey Burke, averages half the turnovers per game. It might be slightly blown out of proportion but it is still a legitimate concern. To me it seems that MCW is just inconsistent. Look at the game logs and he'll have many nights with only 1 or 2 TOs then a game with 5 or 6, equaling his assist total for the night.

I agree MCW is very inconsistent not just with his passing but especially with his shooting/scoring. The problem with his passing is that he has a very high dribble that gets him into trouble sometimes but at the end of the day he's still a net positive as a PG (and this is his first season as a starting PG so he's still learining.

I also dont need to look at game logs because I actually have been watching the Orange a lot this season despite MattGs lame assertions to the contrary.
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#75 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:39 pm

JN wrote:

Not bad kids, just not NBA kids.
princeofpalace
RealGM

Post#76 » by princeofpalace » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm

loot wrote:
JN wrote:

Not bad kids, just not NBA kids.

Flynn and W. Johnson were terrible. But Waiters is looking like a decent NBA player also.
Geaux_Hawks
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#77 » by Geaux_Hawks » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:50 pm

In Wes Johnson's defense, he was forced to be a 2 guard, and never had a chance to develop as a 3. I'd also argue that Flynn was brought along in a bad situation. The Wolves were not a team for him to carry. I think player development is essential to bringing out the best in a player. Larry Sanders can vouch for that. Carter Williams has the skills to flourish, but if he goes to a team with no finishers or shooters, and is expected to carry that team, the he'll look just as much of a bust as the previous Orange alumni have been.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#78 » by [RCG] » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:46 pm

MCW in an upset loss against Villanova: 4-17 FGs, 0-4 3s, 4 asts 4 TOs 3 Rebs 0 Stls 0 Blks.
Cusefan03
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#79 » by Cusefan03 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:59 pm

[RCG] wrote:MCW against in an upset loss against Villanova: 4-17 FGs, 0-4 3s, 4 asts 4 TOs 3 Rebs 0 Stls 0 Blks.

He was terrible today. Don't even want to get into detail on how bad it was. Tried to take over late and had key to's,missed ft's, and couldn't make a basket. Brandon Triche hit a couple key shots to put cuse up 6 with like 4 minutes left. Instead of deferring to him mcw tried taking over himself and played horribly. Pretty much single-handedly lost the game for cuse. Also missed a ft that would have iced the game putting them up 4 with like 15 seconds left.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,536

Post#80 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:04 pm

On the topic of Cuse I like Triche to be a pro player. He has a good 1st step, a solid IQ and 3pt range

Return to NBA Draft