Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Re: Is Kelly Olynyk playing himself into the lottery? 

Post#81 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Mar 9, 2013 1:38 am

Golabki wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I guess the next question I would ask is - Can you win in the NBA with a very good offensive center who is poor defensively and below average in rebounding?

Define "very good". Realistically does anyone really believe Olynyk is going to be a go-to-scorer in the NBA? I don't. At the NBA level I think he's going to a complimentary offensive player at best.

Poor man's Luc Longley?

Quicker, better athlete , more skilled than Longley. Not as strong.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,878

Post#82 » by UGA Hayes » Sat Mar 9, 2013 8:07 pm

Golabki wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I guess the next question I would ask is - Can you win in the NBA with a very good offensive center who is poor defensively and below average in rebounding?

Define "very good". Realistically does anyone really believe Olynyk is going to be a go-to-scorer in the NBA? I don't. At the NBA level I think he's going to a complimentary offensive player at best.

I have some of the same concerns as ruzious but I do think you are selling his offense a little short. Bigs with his offensive ability usually translate that ability well. Its just that in the NBA a lot of them become Spencer Hawes/Brook Lopez types where you aren't convinced that he is actually helping you win for all there offensive talent. Doesn't change that they are good offensive players.
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#83 » by black bart » Sat Mar 9, 2013 8:35 pm

He is having a season like no big ever had before him. He is literally elite and might have had the best season ever. There aren't that many players that have stats similar to kelly olynyk in college basketball. If you look at PER highest in college in the last 4 years you get this:
2012-13 Kelly Olynyk 37.75 Gonzaga
2011-12 Anthony Davis 35.13 Kentucky
2010-11 Kenneth Faried 34.75 Morehead State
2009-10 DeMarcus Cousins 34.18 Kentucky
The dude is posting a 71 ts% and a 37.75 PER in college and is seven feet tall. Kenneth Faried was the best player in 2010-11 season. And look where he is now. An underrated small conference player that was drafted late.
AttackTheRack
Junior
And1: 82

Post#84 » by AttackTheRack » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 am

Saw this cat play in high school. Just dominated everyone. Guys like him and Steve Nash stick out like sore thumbs at that level. He's obviously a whole hell of a lot more polished now. He's got good good game, but he'll struggle with the elite level athleticism in the NBA. He won't get away with a lot of those moves at the next level, but he's smart enough and skilled enough to find a spot to score on an NBA floor. See him being a decent bench guy, coming off and hitting some Js, making some good passes - a guy the coach can count on to not make many mistakes, and hold down the fort while the starters get a blow.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#85 » by Ruzious » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:42 am

UGA Hayes wrote:
Golabki wrote:

I have some of the same concerns as ruzious but I do think you are selling his offense a little short. Bigs with his offensive ability usually translate that ability well. Its just that in the NBA a lot of them become Spencer Hawes/Brook Lopez types where you aren't convinced that he is actually helping you win for all there offensive talent. Doesn't change that they are good offensive players.

Exactly. Hawes is a very skilled offensive center. Lopez is maybe the most skilled scoring center in the NBA. I think it's clear you don't win because of either of them, and it'd take a really good supporting cast to win with either of them. And compare Lopez to Olynyk, and I think it's clear Lopez is more gifted. And Hawes' overall level might be his ceiling.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#86 » by Ruzious » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 am

nhh90 wrote:He is having a season like no big ever had before him. He is literally elite and might have had the best season ever. There aren't that many players that have stats similar to kelly olynyk in college basketball. If you look at PER highest in college in the last 4 years you get this:
The dude is posting a 71 ts% and a 37.75 PER in college and is seven feet tall. Kenneth Faried was the best player in 2010-11 season. And look where he is now. An underrated small conference player that was drafted late.

Good points, but he's still got a low rebound rate and a high t/o rate. Michael Beasley had a 39.3 PER as a freshman - though granted his ts% was much lower than Olynyk's.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#87 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:08 pm

Olynyk is a better athlete and more skilled offensively than Hawes. But I see Olynyk as more a pf than a center.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#88 » by Leolovinliberal » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:Olynyk is a better athlete and more skilled offensively than Hawes. But I see Olynyk as more a pf than a center.

I agree.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#89 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 am

Yeah at PF I don't have an issue with his physical profile. Good first step, can play above the rim, long. Don't have to be huge strength wise to stick at PF.

Olynyk honestly reminds me a lot of Bosh. Not quite at that level athletically, but has a lot of similarities IMO
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#90 » by Leolovinliberal » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:08 am

Dr Positivity wrote:Yeah at PF I don't have an issue with his physical profile. Good first step, can play above the rim, long. Don't have to be huge strength wise to stick at PF.

Olynyk honestly reminds me a lot of Bosh. Not quite at that level athletically, but has a lot of similarities IMO

Did you see SportsCenter Top Ten #2 tonight?
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#91 » by Golabki » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nhh90 wrote:He is having a season like no big ever had before him. He is literally elite and might have had the best season ever. There aren't that many players that have stats similar to kelly olynyk in college basketball. If you look at PER highest in college in the last 4 years you get this:

Good points, but he's still got a low rebound rate and a high t/o rate. Michael Beasley had a 39.3 PER as a freshman - though granted his ts% was much lower than Olynyk's.

I biggest mistake you can make with college PER number is looking at an upper classmen that get's his high PER primarily from scoring, and taking it at face value.

How many touches is Olynyk going to be getting in an NBA offense? If he's getting 10 FGA per game (a decent amount of an NBA big), can you really ignore the rest of his issues?
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,482

Post#92 » by 165bows » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:36 pm

I've been surprised watching some recent games that he is stronger than I expected. Both of the more recent games I've seen him blow somebody up setting screens, and that he looks like an effective pick guy.

Looks like an adequate help defender, not sure why his low post defense is so poor though. Seemed like an easy guy to score on in post-ups, not like Saint Mary's has any major post threats.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,316

Post#93 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:16 pm

I kinda like the idea of my Bulls picking him to back up Noah. I think he could be a good fit and add a different element to our frontcourt.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Kaner
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#94 » by Kaner » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Would love for my Cavs to snag him IF we get the Lakers pick... and Otto Porter/Olynyk draft would be... amazing
Irving/Livingston
Waiters/Ellington/Miles
Porter/Gee/Miles
Thompson/Varejao
Zeller/Olynyk

That's a young core that can really grow together, and is not an unrealistic draft/offseason by any means.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,698

Post#95 » by theBigLip » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Didn't read the previous 6 pages, but this all comes down to the tournament. If Olynyk can rock against big time competition, then he could go top 10, maybe even top 5. But I bet Gonzaga will have a tough time getting to the Sweet 16 - their second game will likely be against a 8/9 seed that comes from a big conference.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#96 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 am

Johnlac1 wrote:Olynyk is a better athlete and more skilled offensively than Hawes. But I see Olynyk as more a pf than a center.

I do, too. Olynyk might turn out to be a fantastic stretch four. He's somewhere in between Mehmet Okur and Pau Gasol in his game.

I'd love for Olynyk to be the Wizards pick. The guy has an extemely high basketball IQ. He's a little more athletic than people think.
Bye bye Beal.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#97 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:57 am

theBigLip wrote:Didn't read the previous 6 pages, but this all comes down to the tournament. If Olynyk can rock against big time competition, then he could go top 10, maybe even top 5. But I bet Gonzaga will have a tough time getting to the Sweet 16 - their second game will likely be against a 8/9 seed that comes from a big conference.

Chad Ford made the same stupid comment (no offense) Uhh.........did anyone not see the Zags ooc games?

In his first game back from is suspension he played Clemson: 13/3 on 5-9 shooting in 24 minutes

Oklahoma: 8/8 on 4-6 shooting in 17 minutes

Washington State: 22/7 on 10-14 shooting in 31 minutes

Illinois: 16/8 on 7-9 in 33 minutes

Kansas State: 20/3 on 10-13 in 19 minutes, more than a point a minute

Baylor: 21/4 on 9-12 in 23 minutes

Ok State: 21/9 on 7-12 in 23 minutes
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#98 » by Eoghan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:51 am

Leolovinliberal wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Didn't read the previous 6 pages, but this all comes down to the tournament. If Olynyk can rock against big time competition, then he could go top 10, maybe even top 5. But I bet Gonzaga will have a tough time getting to the Sweet 16 - their second game will likely be against a 8/9 seed that comes from a big conference.

Chad Ford made the same stupid comment (no offense) Uhh.........did anyone not see the Zags ooc games?

In his first game back from is suspension he played Clemson: 13/3 on 5-9 shooting in 24 minutes

To be fair, most if not all of those teams aren't anything to write home about.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#99 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:44 am

BrotherDave wrote:
Leolovinliberal wrote:

To be fair, most if not all of those teams aren't anything to write home about.

Who said they were? The guy I quoted and Chad Ford said that he has to play bcs schools, I just listed a half dozen, more than he'll face in MM.
Leolovinliberal
Banned User

Post#100 » by Leolovinliberal » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:10 am

21/10. I think by the end of the tourney, he'll be a lottery pick.

Return to NBA Draft