Could Ben Mclemore be #1 draft pick

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

EB2
Rookie
And1: 52

Re: Could Ben Mclemore be #1 draft pick 

Post#41 » by EB2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Anyone see Ben's dance moves? I'd draft him Number 1 just because of that.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#42 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:13 pm

McLemore is the best player in this draft. I'd sell my left nut to put him on my Wolves. As a KU fan, haven't been excited about a pro prospect like this ever. Usually(since I started following in about 03), we will have the "4 year" college player types who only make solid pros. McLemore is going to be a very good player. Those numbers are amazing for such a young player.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#43 » by [RCG] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:30 pm

I think it's between McLemore and Noel right now.

They both play very well. Noel is getting a little overlooked because he's the only UK recruit to play to his hype coming in. He had 8 blocks last game and displayed excellent timing. He isn't as raw offensively as you'd think either.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#44 » by Dr Positivity » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 pm

Yeah I believe the chance of anyone but Noel and McLemore going 1st is looking pretty slim. I bet Shabazz gets dinged for his athletic limitations and Chad Ford recently hinted that he's being projected as a small 3 instead of a big 2 which will hurt him. Len just doesn't have the hype behind him. Bennett may be 3rd most likely after Noel and McLemore but as an undersized PF it'll be hard to get past that stigma
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#45 » by fredericklove » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Manny Phresh wrote:
[RCG] wrote:Who said he won't approach all-star talent?

This

fredericklove wrote:No way, I can see him in top 5 for sure and making a run at 3rd pick. He's a deadly shooter w/ some floor game, but not a star caliber type of player that warrants him 1st pick status.

I was just pretty much reading between the lines

What I'm addressing is that he isn't perceived as a future star type that gets automatic jump as first pick label or distant himself from the rest of the guys in that matter, unlike in past years like a Davis, Irving, Griffin or Rose, who are dubbed as future star talent. Now can he make it into an all star game in the NBA? Yes and no. Does he have major talent? Obviously yes. Will he be first pick? Some GMs think so. I say this year's first pick puzzle will be decided from tourney run. Among Noel, Bazz and 'More, whoever performs the best in the tourney run will likely get 1st pick prize.
itsgoin
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#46 » by itsgoin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:02 pm

Havent seen much of him at all
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#47 » by Dat2U » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't think McLemore has a floor game of an elite perimeter player. His handle is rudimentary. Elite perimeter players are able to create off the bounce. Even shooters like Ray Allen & Rip Hamilton had some dribble creation skills in their game.

He looks to be a real solid role player but I wouldn't draft him in the top five.
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#48 » by Big_C_KU » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:27 am

If Beal goes #3 in a stronger draft when him and McLemore have a similar skill set then Ben will almost certainly go top 5. Beal had better handles but Ben has him beat in athleticism and production with his perimeter shot. Right now for Ben to go #1 he needs to show better more consistency creating his own shot. Not sure he'll do that though in a system like KU's.

The problem with this draft and why McLemore has a chance at #1 is because there's just no superstar available. My top 3 are Noel, Ben, and Shabazz. Noel has the potential if he gets stronger to be one of the top 3 defensive big me in the league inhis prime. That along with the need for centers for the worst teams in the league is the reason why I think Noel is the only player this year who could separate themselves as the #1 pick. What Ben has going for him are 3 things. He has the production, he has the potential, and he might have the lowest floor along with Shabazz because of his shot, ability to move without the ball, and his ability to play within a system. Shabazz has a near 20 ppg scorer written all over him. But that's about it. 
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#49 » by Landomar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:21 am

I think that Ben Mclemore is the best prospect in the draft this year, and he's the one player that I'm genuinely excited about. His shot creation skills are a bit of a concern, but he's putting up great numbers and he has great physical tools. He can shoot, he can play defense, and he seems like he knows what he's doing out there. He's probably not the next Ray Allen, but he's that type of player, and I think that whoever gets him is going to be extremely happy.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#50 » by BaunceyChillups » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Dat2U wrote:I don't think McLemore has a floor game of an elite perimeter player. His handle is rudimentary. Elite perimeter players are able to create off the bounce. Even shooters like Ray Allen & Rip Hamilton had some dribble creation skills in their game.

He looks to be a real solid role player but I wouldn't draft him in the top five.

I dunno about that, Paul George and Nic Batum are all-star level players who aren't amazing off-the-bounce creators.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#51 » by [RCG] » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:25 pm

George and Batum have great size, McLemore isn't built the same as those two.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#52 » by black bart » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:09 pm

[RCG] wrote:George and Batum have great size, McLemore isn't built the same as those two.

Mclemore is freakishly fast and has the height/wingspan to guard the SG and PG position. He also is fast enough to get open on the offensive side off screens. He is the only candidate in my opinion for rookie of the year next year.
[RCG]
Head Coach

Post#53 » by [RCG] » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm

nhh90 wrote:
[RCG] wrote:George and Batum have great size, McLemore isn't built the same as those two.

Mclemore is freakishly fast and has the height/wingspan to guard the SG and PG position. He also is fast enough to get open on the offensive side off screens. He is the only candidate in my opinion for rookie of the year next year.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves or anything. :roll:
crazybranman360
Starter
And1: 37

Post#54 » by crazybranman360 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:40 pm

BaunceyChillups wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I don't think McLemore has a floor game of an elite perimeter player. His handle is rudimentary. Elite perimeter players are able to create off the bounce. Even shooters like Ray Allen & Rip Hamilton had some dribble creation skills in their game.

I dunno about that, Paul George and Nic Batum are all-star level players who aren't amazing off-the-bounce creators.

I acutally really like the Nic Batum comp but would you want Nic Batum as #1 pick and building block for your team? Not really
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#55 » by Dat2U » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 pm

BaunceyChillups wrote:

George & Batum aren't amazing off the bounce but they are also legit sized SFs that are 4-6 inches taller than McLemore.

What I'm saying is McLemore's handle is not adequate or adept enough to excel as guard on the pro level. NBA defenses can knock shooters off their spots. McLemore is going to be teammate dependent on his success & the coaches are going to have to run plays to get him open off screens, picks and cuts. Even the best shooters have some dribble creation skills. Not every shot Rip or Ray Allen makes comes off a screen. If McLemore cannot sufficiently create off the dribble his future is limited to that as a role player.
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#56 » by Big_C_KU » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:58 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pEMJXgVDWs[/youtube]

Trying to find highlights of his games vs Kansas State, Oklahoma, and Baylor.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#57 » by BaunceyChillups » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Dat2U wrote:
BaunceyChillups wrote:

George & Batum aren't amazing off the bounce but they are also legit sized SFs that are 4-6 inches taller than McLemore.

What I'm saying is McLemore's handle is not adequate or adept enough to excel as guard on the pro level. NBA defenses can knock shooters off their spots. McLemore is going to be teammate dependent on his success & the coaches are going to have to run plays to get him open off screens, picks and cuts. Even the best shooters have some dribble creation skills. Not every shot Rip or Ray Allen makes comes off a screen. If McLemore cannot sufficiently create off the dribble his future is limited to that as a role player.

Sure, though I think McLemore's height and wingspan make him fine for the 2 guard when you've got small guys like Dion Waiters and Bradley Beal playing the spot full-time. But also I think the days of requiring a 2 guard to create everything off the dribble and be a gunner are ending, nowadays it seems like being an efficient shooter who can make shots off of one or two bounces are all that's needed. In that sense I see McLemore as basically a super athletic version of JJ Redick.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#58 » by noobcake » Fri Feb 1, 2013 8:26 am

Ceiling of Ray Allen won't make him go first. People want to draft that first option, superstar, face of NBA franchise player, not a really good 2/3rd option.
PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,541

Post#59 » by PaKwAn » Fri Feb 1, 2013 8:36 am

noobcake wrote:Ceiling of Ray Allen won't make him go first. People want to draft that first option, superstar, face of NBA franchise player, not a really good 2/3rd option.

Ray allen was the first option and face of the franchise for the bucks and sonics...and in a draft where there is no clear cut 1st pick, this kid has a chance to get picked that high...
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#60 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Feb 1, 2013 8:38 am

noobcake wrote:Ceiling of Ray Allen won't make him go first. People want to draft that first option, superstar, face of NBA franchise player, not a really good 2/3rd option.

aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.

Return to NBA Draft