Could Ben Mclemore be #1 draft pick

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Re: Could Ben Mclemore be #1 draft pick 

Post#61 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Fri Feb 1, 2013 6:19 pm

It's gonna come down to who wins the lottery and what their needs are.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
khaled_a_d
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#62 » by khaled_a_d » Sat Feb 2, 2013 11:52 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:It's gonna come down to who wins the lottery and what their needs are.

It will be interesting to see the Raptors getting the 1st pick ,they already have Derozen/Ross/Gay for the SG/SF rotation ,they also have Jonas at C
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#63 » by [RCG] » Sun Feb 3, 2013 12:27 am

khaled_a_d wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:It's gonna come down to who wins the lottery and what their needs are.

It will be interesting to see the Raptors getting the 1st pick ,they already have Derozen/Ross/Gay for the SG/SF rotation ,they also have Jonas at C

I think McLemore or Noel would be the choice. Davis has been playing PF, no reason Noel can't do the same. With Gay, DeRozan, Lowry they aren't in dire need of a scorer. On the other hand McLemore can provide a little bit from the outside which the Raptors would need. They'd need to trade DeRozan or Ross then however.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#64 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Feb 3, 2013 7:29 am

I wonder if Smart should get consideration as a #1 pick sleeper? In terms of on ball/slashing upside for perimeter players, he's at the top of the list in this crop. Add freshman + good stats + good size for position...
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#65 » by ManualRam » Sun Feb 3, 2013 7:58 am

Dr Positivity wrote:I wonder if Smart should get consideration as a #1 pick sleeper? In terms of on ball/slashing upside for perimeter players, he's at the top of the list in this crop. Add freshman + good stats + good size for position...

i don't think he's skilled enough offensively to be a featured perimeter player. i question his ball-handling ability for a supposed PG.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#66 » by BaunceyChillups » Sun Feb 3, 2013 4:00 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:I wonder if Smart should get consideration as a #1 pick sleeper? In terms of on ball/slashing upside for perimeter players, he's at the top of the list in this crop. Add freshman + good stats + good size for position...

i don't think he's skilled enough offensively to be a featured perimeter player. i question his ball-handling ability for a supposed PG.

i dunno, I think he could be a good Chauncey facsimile if he improves his three point shot and offensive flopping in the NBA
Big_C_KU
Junior
And1: 106

Post#67 » by Big_C_KU » Sun Feb 3, 2013 6:33 pm

Smart is a bull of a PG. Knows how to use his strength. He took over the last 5 minutes of the KU game with his defense and rebounding. He has a solid offensive game from mid-range around the basket but his perimeter shot is poor. Who ever drafts him will get a PG who can score on the drive and play some of the best defense in the NBA at the point.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#68 » by lukekarts » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:02 am

I watched the game on saturday and both McLemore and Smart had great games.

McLemore had a rough start - as did Kansas - going 3/9 by the midway point. He had a fantastic run when they got him involved more and he finished with 23 points on 9/17 shooting.

He was playing entirely off-ball though. I didn't see him create for himself at all; so that remains a gap in his skillset that I've not yet seen (not to say he doesn't have the ability though). What was striking though was his movement off the ball. It's been a long time since I've seen such good awareness from a shooting guard. He seemed to find himself open loads and his cuts to the basket were great. He showed his athleticism too. Defensively he was mixed... challenged a few shots but both guards for Oklahoma had great scoring nights.

As for Smart - he didn't seem that instrumental early on but really stepped up towards the end of the game, using his strength well to create shots at the end - and grabbing offensive rebounds like he was the best rebounder on the court. Impressive. I need to see more of him.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
Big_C_KU
Junior

Post#69 » by Big_C_KU » Mon Feb 4, 2013 9:44 am

Yeah McLemore is not asked to create much himself. While he's no where near the greatest, I don't think he's as bad as many people think at getting into the lane or with pull up jumpers. Had a great drive and spin move in the 1st half but didn't see him have to create much other than that himself. Late in the game they kinda went away from him late after riding him to get the lead back.

His defense was tough to judge. Like you said the OSU players were hot and OSU did a great job setting screens and getting their shooters open. Didn't really matter how well of defense he played. He has tremendous potential in that area, maybe 2nd only to his potential as a shooter in the league.

He has an exceptional first step, easily the fastest of any non-PG to go along with one of the best verticals in college basketball. His off-ball movement is exceptional moving with the movement of the player with the ball and getting himself squared on the catch for the open shot. Not as worried about ability to create off the dribble as many are because at KU he's not asked to do as much. Next year he'll be asked to try and create more and that's an area that can really improve with more repetition. I do worry about his mentality to be the #1 guy which he'd asked to be right away as a top pick. Can't deny his built-in abilities with his quickness, leaping ability, legit SG size at 6-5, to go along with his already high skill level and IQ.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#70 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Feb 6, 2013 6:49 am

Yeah you could make the case that McLemore's slashing is this year's Anthony Davis' jumpshot, in that it's more the system doesn't need it rather than that he doesn't have it

I'm getting pretty close to putting him as my personal #1 prospect. Gotta think that if someone in this class somehow becomes a top 10-15 player every year all-star guy, one of the most conceivable paths to that is "McLemore ends up a better slasher than he needed to show at Kansas, making him a complete offensive prospect". Also a lot of the prospects that I'd consider against McLemore talent wise, are players that I don't entirely trust for various reasons (Bennett and Leslie wanting to play like perimeter players, Nash's WTF college production, Austin being soft, etc.)
Big_C_KU
Junior

Post#71 » by Big_C_KU » Wed Feb 6, 2013 11:47 am

I have Noel as my #1 with McLemore #2. Without any sure fire superstar (although I think McLemore and Noel both have the potential to be top 5 at their positions) I think it will come down to need as well as what they see them becoming. While teams would love a sharpshooting SG who may or may not become a complete offensive player, I think they'd hold a player who may become one of the top 3 defensive big men in the league when he hits his prime higher. Plus there's more of a need for centers at the top.
lukekarts
Head Coach
And1: 335

Post#72 » by lukekarts » Wed Feb 6, 2013 12:18 pm

Big_C_KU wrote:I have Noel as my #1 with McLemore #2. Without any sure fire superstar (although I think McLemore and Noel both have the potential to be top 5 at their positions) I think it will come down to need as well as what they see them becoming. While teams would love a sharpshooting SG who may or may not become a complete offensive player, I think they'd hold a player who may become one of the top 3 defensive big men in the league when he hits his prime higher. Plus there's more of a need for centers at the top.

I agree. As there's definitely not a consensus #1, I think teams will prioritise fit/need when making their selection.

If you look at the worst 5 teams right now - Charlotte, Washington, Cleveland, New Orleans, Sacramento... you can see:

Noel - to Cleveland, Washington, Charlotte, New Orleans
McLemore - to Sacramento

Charlotte or NOH may surprise us of course; Charlotte clearly have the worst NBA front court though.
There is no consolation prize. Winning is everything.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#73 » by Gilles » Wed Feb 6, 2013 6:49 pm

Noel fits very well with Cousins, so Kings draft him over Mclemore.
Big_C_KU
Junior

Post#74 » by Big_C_KU » Thu Feb 7, 2013 4:30 am

McLemore's performance tonight probably cost him a few spots and a few million dollars. 6-16, 0-6 from deep, 9 rebounds, and 3 turnovers.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#75 » by jman3134 » Thu Feb 7, 2013 5:37 am

^ That's a little too impulsive.
Big_C_KU
Junior

Post#76 » by Big_C_KU » Thu Feb 7, 2013 5:44 am

Yeah probably. I'm a Jayhawk fan though so the ledge is getting closer and closer right now.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#77 » by Dark Faze » Fri Feb 8, 2013 8:32 pm

You can't really tell about how athletic a guy is sometimes though. If you watched Harrison Barnes play you'd never think he was capable of some of the stuff he did in the pros or the numbers he put up at the combine. Shabazz is probably going to surprise us.
nugzin2040
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#78 » by nugzin2040 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:13 am

I doubt he goes #1. But I guess if SG was a team's biggest need I could see a team taking him #1. I think both Shabazz and Noel are better players.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#79 » by DirtyDez » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:08 am

McLemore, Shabazz or Noel will go #1. It depends on that team's need... If Washington or Cleveland get it they would probably take Noel. If it's the Suns it'll be B-Mac and Orlando Shabazz.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#80 » by ManualRam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:27 am

upon further review, yes.

i just wrote this about the mclemore/shabazz debate:

i've gone back and forth b/t shabazz and mclemore as the best wing prospect in the draft, but mclemore has just been more impressive overall. i gave shabazz the benefit of the doubt because i thought his better body strength and natural aggressiveness would allow him to impose himself on the defense, draw fouls, etc. but i'm unsure if that's enough to give shabazz the edge since mclemore is a better player in so many other areas. mac is the better athlete, better team player, has the better floor game and is the better defender.

not gonna lie, bazz' reaction to that buzzer beater was really off-putting. what good teammate reacts like that?
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft