Victor Oladipo

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Re: Victor Oladipo 

Post#21 » by Gilles » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:28 am

165bows wrote:Agreed, he probably can't sustain he shooting levels he's got now.

On the other hand, ESPN had a Jay Bilas video clip citing one of the college coaches tracking deflected passes. He said that they had Oladipo tipping more balls than any college player since Wade. If you can get average offense and great defense and rebounding, that's a great player.

Probably a guy that looks better on a good team rather than the top offensive option on a bad team, IMO.

If Oladipo's drafted in top-5, some good team will probably be able to buy him at half price in his third season as he will be considered disappointment if asked to carry his team.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#22 » by ManualRam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:06 am

Gilles wrote:
165bows wrote:Agreed, he probably can't sustain he shooting levels he's got now.

On the other hand, ESPN had a Jay Bilas video clip citing one of the college coaches tracking deflected passes. He said that they had Oladipo tipping more balls than any college player since Wade. If you can get average offense and great defense and rebounding, that's a great player.

Probably a guy that looks better on a good team rather than the top offensive option on a bad team, IMO.

If Oladipo's drafted in top-5, some good team will probably be able to buy him at half price in his third season as he will be considered disappointment if asked to carry his team.

no one in this draft should be taken with the expectation of carrying the team. in any other draft oladipo would not be taken with that expectation, just like MKG wasn't taken with that expectation.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#23 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:14 am

Oladipo's body type, athleticism, transition ability, and defense remind me of Michael Jordan. Offensively hes obviously nowhere even close but I think there are some uncanny resemblances in their games.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,284

Post#24 » by rockmanslim » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:18 am

Roger Murdock wrote:Oladipo's body type, athleticism, transition ability, and defense remind me of Michael Jordan. Offensively hes obviously nowhere even close but I think there are some uncanny resemblances in their games.

Watched Indiana a few times this year, and that's pretty much what Dickie V has said every time.

"You know who he reminds me of? MJ babyyy! I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack on twitter, but let me make it clear, I'm NOT saying he's anywhere near as good as MJ, he just REMINDS me of MJ in his playing style babieeeeeee!"
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#25 » by moss_is_1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 am

Worst case - Tony Allen?

He can drive like Allen and he has the tools to be a great defender. His jumper is already better then Allen's though.
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#26 » by thamadkant » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 am

rockmanslim wrote:
Roger Murdock wrote:Oladipo's body type, athleticism, transition ability, and defense remind me of Michael Jordan. Offensively hes obviously nowhere even close but I think there are some uncanny resemblances in their games.

Watched Indiana a few times this year, and that's pretty much what Dickie V has said every time.

"You know who he reminds me of? MJ babyyy! I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack on twitter, but let me make it clear, I'm NOT saying he's anywhere near as good as MJ, he just REMINDS me of MJ in his playing style babieeeeeee!"

I've only seen Oladipo with that draftexpress video of him and first thing I've noticed?

He moves in such a purposeful and efficient way.... like MJ did... like straight explosive dribble into the key, then a explodes up for a shot in traffic in a blur... very MJ like. He also looks "uncanny" as a dribble, like MJ...
But of course, he isnt "as good" as MJ... but the movement, efficiency in motion, explosion into his moves... its MJ-esque...

Closest today maybe Wade.... but of course again... disclaimer is "not as good".

But how much can he improve?
I imagine in the NBA, he'll have access to more training and coaching... he also will have access to more resources to improve his weaknesses... he may indeed turn out to be Wade-lite... (minus the ability to pass).... but only if he maintains his motor and intensity.... its amazing.
boogie-reke
Head Coach
And1: 244

Post#27 » by boogie-reke » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:50 pm

mhd wrote:You think he a more athletic Shane Battier?

I'd say a SG Luol Deng, sorta. An elite role-player.
Landomar
Bench Warmer
And1: 373

Post#28 » by Landomar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:48 pm

Oladipo is great, any team can use a guy like this. In terms of impact, his floor is probably Tony Allen, and his ceiling would perhaps be an SG version of Luol Deng. That's very good and worth a top 5 pick in this draft.
discord
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#29 » by discord » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Tony Allen seems spot on. Can Oladipo create for others off the dribble like a Wade or Mj? I know he is vertically able but does he have the body contortion skills of a Wade or MJ? He will be a solid NBA player no doubt, but some drink the kool-aid carelessly.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#30 » by 23-7 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:54 pm

He shoots better then tony allen
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#31 » by ManualRam » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:53 pm

tony allen with a jumper sounds pretty nasty.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
License2Lillard
Bench Warmer
And1: 62

Post#32 » by License2Lillard » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Every time I see him play I think he will wind up as Wes Matthews with a bit more offense. Solid, but not quite "elite", defensively and a reliable jump shooter without much of a 1-on-1 style game. I see him as a reliable option on offense, but definitely not a guy you want to turn the keys over to. I don't mean this as a slight to him, I just can't see him becoming a Dwyane Wade or anything. More like a Matthews-Allen hybrid, which is a fantastic player, but not a franchise cornerstone.

I'm not claiming to be a scout or basing it on any factual analysis, that's just my gut.
number15 wrote:If Tracy McGrady makes it to the HOF, then so should DeMar Derozan :-?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#33 » by 8305 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:16 am

I'm having a little trouble with the Allen, Mathews comparison. Neither of these guys were particularly high draft picks. Correspondingly, they weren't particularly dominant at the college level hence the lack of interest when the draft came along for them.

Oladepo on the other hand is dominating college games (in all areas of the game) while being remarkably efficient offensively. His improvement curve over his three years is unusual too. All that has to count for something. He probably isn't Wade or Jordon but, I'd surprised if he's not superior to Allen and Mathews.
License2Lillard
Bench Warmer

Post#34 » by License2Lillard » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 am

8305 wrote:I'm having a little trouble with the Allen, Mathews comparison. Neither of these guys were particularly high draft picks. Correspondingly, they weren't particularly dominant at the college level hence the lack of interest when the draft came along for them.

Oladepo on the other hand is dominating college games (in all areas of the game) while being remarkably efficient offensively. His improvement curve over his three years is unusual too. All that has to count for something. He probably isn't Wade or Jordon but, I'd surprised if he's not superior to Allen and Mathews.

I understand your skepticism, but I'm saying final product when all is said and done he will have a similar impact (or even a bit better) on his team's performance. I understand that he's playing phenomenally right now, and deserves credit for it for sure. I'm just saying I think his ceiling is lower than most believe.

His improved efficiency can be attributed to understanding his role and picking his spots better. He's not out there destroying defenses as a cold blooded killer ala Wade, he's playing smarter, taking better shots, and limiting mistakes to make himself more of an elite role player. Which is not a bad thing, it's actually a very good thing. Just doesn't point to a transition to cold blooded killer at the next level.

Again, I'm not trying to bash him, just trying to avoid the hype a bit. In a stronger draft I feel like he would have been looked at as a late lottery guy at best, but because of the circumstances he's suddenly a top 5 pick. I think his hype is a product of his draft class's lack of high end prospects.
number15 wrote:If Tracy McGrady makes it to the HOF, then so should DeMar Derozan :-?
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#35 » by ManualRam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 am

License2Lillard wrote:Every time I see him play I think he will wind up as Wes Matthews with a bit more offense. Solid, but not quite "elite", defensively and a reliable jump shooter without much of a 1-on-1 style game. I see him as a reliable option on offense, but definitely not a guy you want to turn the keys over to. I don't mean this as a slight to him, I just can't see him becoming a Dwyane Wade or anything. More like a Matthews-Allen hybrid, which is a fantastic player, but not a franchise cornerstone.

I'm not claiming to be a scout or basing it on any factual analysis, that's just my gut.

nobody in this draft is a player that a team can "turn the keys over to."
you can ignore the d.wade comparisons too.
once you do that and just compare him to the other players in this draft then you'll have a more realistic view of oladipo's stock.
what oladipo has over the wes matthews types of the league is his athleticism.

tony allen with a jumper is a very good player. wes matthews with much better athleticism is a very good player as well.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
License2Lillard
Bench Warmer

Post#36 » by License2Lillard » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:22 am

ManualRam wrote:
tony allen with a jumper is a very good player. wes matthews with much better athleticism is a very good player as well.

This is kind of what I was getting at with the Matthews/Allen hybrid comment. A very good player, not the franchise player being shoved down everyone's throats.
Duder
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#37 » by Duder » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Whenever I watch Oladipo, I can't help but think about how much he reminds me of Desmond Mason.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#38 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:33 pm

Duder wrote:Whenever I watch Oladipo, I can't help but think about how much he reminds me of Desmond Mason.

Des had the shooting range of Shaquille O'Neal. I think he also had a couple of really bad knee injuries that sapped his athleticism. Still was in the NBA for about 10 years.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Duder
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#39 » by Duder » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Des shot 43% from three his junior year (his last at Oklahoma State,) which, like Oladipo this year, was a pretty huge jump from his previous season.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#40 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16 pm

Duder wrote:Des shot 43% from three his junior year (his last at Oklahoma State,) which, like Oladipo this year, was a pretty huge jump from his previous season.

At some point he must have lost his range. Guess how many 3's he made in his last 6 NBA seasons combined.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to NBA Draft