Post#41 » by 23-7 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 pm

You can look at his form and realize he's never going to be a shooter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Victor Oladipo 

Post#42 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:45 pm

23-7 wrote:You can look at his form and realize he's never going to be a shooter

Yeah, players never improve their form and become good shooters by simply working hard in a gym.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#43 » by ManualRam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:
23-7 wrote:You can look at his form and realize he's never going to be a shooter

Yeah, players never improve their form and become good shooters by simply working hard in a gym.

it wasn't the case with dez mason. his form got worse and worse.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:22 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

There ya go. Proof positive that you can't improve.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#45 » by ManualRam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yeah, players never improve their form and become good shooters by simply working hard in a gym.

There ya go. Proof positive that you can't improve.

fwiw, i think 23-7's comment was referring to mason. at least i would hope so. there is nothing wrong with oladipo's form.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I concur on both points. I was trying for the sarcastic effect... oh well.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#47 » by 23-7 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Didn't go over too well
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#48 » by pad300 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:41 pm

"Tony Allen with a jumpshot"

Assuming you mean a good jumpshot (which Oladipo appears to have)... Which team doesn't a) start that and b) play him BIG minutes? Tony Allen can defend 1-3 easy. Which team doesn't re-arrange their roster to get that guy starter minutes?

Miami (Lebron and Wade - but they could put Lebron at PF...)

Anybody else come to mind? in this draft, that could easily be top 3...
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#49 » by moss_is_1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:19 pm

pad300 wrote:"Tony Allen with a jumpshot"

Assuming you mean a good jumpshot (which Oladipo appears to have)... Which team doesn't a) start that and b) play him BIG minutes? Tony Allen can defend 1-3 easy. Which team doesn't re-arrange their roster to get that guy starter minutes?

Miami (Lebron and Wade - but they could put Lebron at PF...)

Anybody else come to mind? in this draft, that could easily be top 3...

I think that is an extremely valuable player, but not one that will get a lot of love or all-star nods. Maybe in his career he would get 1-2 all star nods if he plays on a good team and gets in because of team success.
ISB
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#50 » by ISB » Sat Mar 2, 2013 5:20 pm

8305 wrote:I'm having a little trouble with the Allen, Mathews comparison. Neither of these guys were particularly high draft picks. Correspondingly, they weren't particularly dominant at the college level hence the lack of interest when the draft came along for them.

Oladepo on the other hand is dominating college games (in all areas of the game) while being remarkably efficient offensively. His improvement curve over his three years is unusual too. All that has to count for something. He probably isn't Wade or Jordon but, I'd surprised if he's not superior to Allen and Mathews.

Tony Allen lead OSU to the final four. He was a very good college player
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#51 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Mar 2, 2013 11:25 pm

I don't agree with the criticisms of his ballhandling as a weakness. Yes it's not perfect, but when the guy's game is to slash and get into the paint at well as he does, he's doing something right on the ball. He also has some really good looking crossovers.

Starting to come around on Oladipo as having one of the highest upsides in the draft. Like Smart, with his top flight physical and mental tools, he's not a good perimeter scoring game away from being a good player, he's a good perimeter scoring game from being a perennial star, IMO.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,864

Post#52 » by Klomp » Sun Mar 3, 2013 7:12 pm

Am I the only one who thinks his height is closer to 6'2" than the 6'5" he is listed at? That's one of the only things that worries me.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#53 » by Jersey Generals » Sun Mar 3, 2013 9:31 pm

Klomp wrote:Am I the only one who thinks his height is closer to 6'2" than the 6'5" he is listed at? That's one of the only things that worries me.

I actually said that in one of the Nets draft threads. I said that his draft slot is going to depend on his measurements. To me, he looks small, and while that won't affect his overall lottery selection, it sure will change his Tony Allen with a jumpshot-like value, I feel.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,285

Post#54 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 4:35 am

I think he should be a top three pick.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
djthesonicsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 159

Post#55 » by djthesonicsfan » Tue Mar 5, 2013 6:39 am

I think he'd fit perfectly with Duant,Westbrook & Ibaka!
notSonics 2016
Starters - Trey, Roberson, KD, Ibaka, Adams
Rotation - Payne, Waiters, Green, McGary, Kanter
Bench - Collison, Christon, Brodgon, Huestis
Stash - Johnson, Abrine
Cut - Morrow
Trade - Singler
Draft - Brogdon
FA - Green
RipCity71252
Pro Prospect
And1: 194

Post#56 » by RipCity71252 » Tue Mar 5, 2013 9:04 am

Klomp wrote:Am I the only one who thinks his height is closer to 6'2" than the 6'5" he is listed at? That's one of the only things that worries me.

Maybe, but I think his natural posture seems to be a bit hunched over which makes him look smaller than he really is.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,527

Post#57 » by 165bows » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:20 pm

I agree with both of those posts. He would be sick as a third/fourth option on that OKC team. Not that they need anymore firepower.

Also, I think his height is deceptive as well. Similar to how everyone thinks Avery Bradley is shorter than he is. I think that since Oladipo is really barrel chested and thick, it makes him look shorter. I think he is going to be a really good pro, but the kind of guy who would be best as a role player on a great team, rather than the primary offensive option.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#58 » by ManualRam » Tue Mar 5, 2013 2:38 pm

RipCity71252 wrote:

Maybe, but I think his natural posture seems to be a bit hunched over which makes him look smaller than he really is.

this is what i see. he has a slight turtle neck so it makes him appear shorter than he is.
he's got a good wingspan though. even if he measures out at 6'4 that'd still be average height for today's SGs.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#59 » by [RCG] » Tue Mar 5, 2013 4:28 pm

djthesonicsfan wrote:I think he'd fit perfectly with Duant,Westbrook & Ibaka!

Well the Toronto pick is top-3 protected so you'd probably have to package Lamb, the Toronto pick & Dallas pick to move up and get him.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
mavs_dachamps
Junior
And1: 7

Post#60 » by mavs_dachamps » Thu Mar 7, 2013 5:07 am

I love this kid. His athletism, defense, and motor are extremely high. I would love to see him in a Dallas uniform as the first part of our rebuild. It's not often you see a player with elite athletism, has the ability to guard to 1-3 at an elite level, and has a ridicously high motor both on and off the court(supposedly a gym rat and hard worker; he improve his FT% by 14% from last season). With the right coaching he could be one of the best players to come out of this draft, without it though he might bust. Either way it's time to role the dice.

Return to NBA Draft