Victor Oladipo

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ziggy Stardust
Banned User
And1: 96

Re: Victor Oladipo 

Post#81 » by Ziggy Stardust » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Exactly. Oladipo at the NBA level is going to be a complementary player. That is not a knock on him, it is just how his game is tailored. He is kind of this year's MKG.

Most people don't seem to get what I call the Corey Brewer Concept. That is, when you are on a very stacked team, said team allows guys to more easily play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. This almost without fail causes the players on that team to be overhyped by a lot of fans and far too many NBA scouts and execs.

Come on man. Corey Brewer was at best the 3rd-4th best player on that team. Your really comparing his stacked team with Horford, Noah, Lee Humphries, and Taurean Green to this Indiana team were Oladipo is the second best player at worst? It's like you're holding the fact that VO has a terrific floor game against him.

Brewer was very offensively limited, but he gave Florida 13 ppg on 48% from the field. Not bad, but he clearly wasn't sacrificing a whole lot on offense because there wasn't a whole lot more there. Victor is putting up 14 ppg on 61% from the field as a guard. Being on a team with good offensive players obviously helps his efficiency, but those are absurd numbers. Being on a stacked them hides your weaknesses and lets you produce as much as you can on an acceptable efficiency, like Corey Brewer at florida. Being on a good team doesn't explain Olidipos numbers. It shows a very smart (almost to a fault) team player with a potentially elite scoring ability when you consider he's a 20 year old 6'5 freak athlete with plenty of strength and a tremendous work ethic.
Gilles
Rookie
And1: 70

Post#82 » by Gilles » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:Exactly. Oladipo at the NBA level is going to be a complementary player. That is not a knock on him, it is just how his game is tailored. He is kind of this year's MKG.

Most people don't seem to get what I call the Corey Brewer Concept. That is, when you are on a very stacked team, said team allows guys to more easily play to their strengths and hide their weaknesses. This almost without fail causes the players on that team to be overhyped by a lot of fans and far too many NBA scouts and execs.

Come on man. Corey Brewer was at best the 3rd-4th best player on that team. Your really comparing his stacked team with Horford, Noah, Lee Humphries, and Taurean Green to this Indiana team were Oladipo is the second best player at worst? It's like you're holding the fact that VO has a terrific floor game against him.

Brewer was very offensively limited, but he gave Florida 13 ppg on 48% from the field. Not bad, but he clearly wasn't sacrificing a whole lot on offense because there wasn't a whole lot more there. Victor is putting up 14 ppg on 61% from the field as a guard. Being on a team with good offensive players obviously helps his efficiency, but those are absurd numbers. Being on a stacked them hides your weaknesses and lets you produce as much as you can on an acceptable efficiency, like Corey Brewer at florida. Being on a good team doesn't explain Olidipos numbers. It shows a very smart (almost to a fault) team player with a potentially elite scoring ability when you consider he's a 20 year old 6'5 freak athlete with plenty of strength and a tremendous work ethic.
Oladipo is not the second best offensive player on his team, which this talk is all about. Nobody disputes he will have huge impact defensively. It's people extrapolating his efficiency with currently limited skill to impact offensive player in the pros. Indiana has the best spacing in college, so limited handle doesn't cause much trouble. Put him on last year's UNC, and you get .540TS%.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,030

Post#83 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:Can someone convince me why Mclemore is considered a better prospect than this guy?

I can't. I don't see what Mclemore has over Oladipo. Ben is worse off the dribble, doesn't excel at attacking the rim, and inconsistent defensively. Oladipo is already an impact player on the defensive end and is improving on offense.

Hell, I'm still trying to find out what he has over Terrance Ross who was picked 8th last year.
23-7
Veteran
And1: 466

Post#84 » by 23-7 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Knock down shooter
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#85 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Marvin Martian wrote:
Ziggy Stardust wrote:Can someone convince me why Mclemore is considered a better prospect than this guy?

I can't. I don't see what Mclemore has over Oladipo. Ben is worse off the dribble, doesn't excel at attacking the rim, and inconsistent defensively. Oladipo is already an impact player on the defensive end and is improving on offense.

Hell, I'm still trying to find out what he has over Terrance Ross who was picked 8th last year.

McLemore is at a different level as a shooter than Ross. Ross' shooting talent is overrated. He shot mid 30s from 3 and mid 70s from FT which a lot of people do every year. McLemore's 43% 3 86% is a lot freakier

Other than that they are similar but Ben has a few advantages. Ben might not be a standout slasher but Ross has no slashing right now, he has less than 30 FTA the whole season, I swear I can count the amount of times he's gotten to the rim in the half court this year on 1 or 2 hands. Also Ross is smooth and has feel for the game but Ben's is even better it seems.

I agree Ben vs Ross or even Reggie Bullock is not a huge gap and the value might not be there at 1st, similar to how Harkless 15 was better value than MKG 2
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#86 » by Marvin Martian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:

McLemore is at a different level as a shooter than Ross. Ross' shooting talent is overrated. He shot mid 30s from 3 and mid 70s from FT which a lot of people do every year. McLemore's 43% 3 86% is a lot freakier

Other than that they are similar but Ben has a few advantages. Ben might not be a standout slasher but Ross has no slashing right now, he has less than 30 FTA the whole season, I swear I can count the amount of times he's gotten to the rim in the half court this year on 1 or 2 hands. Also Ross is smooth and has feel for the game but Ben's is even better it seems.

I agree Ben vs Ross or even Reggie Bullock is not a huge gap and the value might not be there at 1st, similar to how Harkless 15 was better value than MKG 2

I may have exaggerated a little bit, but Mclemore just doesn't seem to have good value at number one. An uber athletic, spot up shooter who cannot create for himself doesn't sound like someone who is worthy of a number 1 pick.

I'd rather take Oladipo. As a prospect, i think he has a higher upside than Ben.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,754

Post#87 » by theBigLip » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 pm

Not sure where the Pistons will end up drafting, but hoping Oladipo (or Porter) somehow slide to them. Oladipo will be a solid pro for sure, and since he can play great D, he'll get a lot of playing time right from the start.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#88 » by Cammo101 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 pm

theBigLip wrote:Not sure where the Pistons will end up drafting, but hoping Oladipo (or Porter) somehow slide to them. Oladipo will be a solid pro for sure, and since he can play great D, he'll get a lot of playing time right from the start.

Porter is a perfect fit for Detroit, but they will need to move up via the lottery to get him IMO.

I don't like the fit with Oladipo in Detroit. I suspect he will measure too small to play SF in the NBA, and I'm not sure he is a great backcourt fit with Knight.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#89 » by tidho » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Prefer Porter due to his length, but I love Oladipo for the Cavaliers.

Perfect compliment for rotation with Irving and Waiters.
He'll take the defensive pressure off them by taking the toughest matchup.
They'll take the pressure off him offensively because they're ball dominant.
JimboSlice
Senior
And1: 16

Post#90 » by JimboSlice » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Cammo101 wrote:He has played his way into the top 10 and I currently have him going #8 to Minnesota. He is not as good as Wade was in college, and Wade coming out of college was not supposed to be the elite player he became. That said, Oladipo is a solid, well rounded player, and in this down draft, the sky is the limit.

For his sake, I hope he drops that far. I love this guy's game, and I don't think I'm anywhere near the only person that does. Minny is nowhere near as bad as their draft position would indicate, and the 2 guard is a big hole they need filled. Not many places he would have a better shot at succeeding at that are realistic draft spots for him imo, and if no big changes in draft order happen from now, you could be spot on with that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thou Shalt Not Shave
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#91 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

To me Oladipo is the perfect Role player, not a top 5 pick. His shooting might just be an aberration and I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.
RookieJazz
Junior
And1: 42

Post#92 » by RookieJazz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 am

Worst case comparison: Ronnie Brewer
Best case comparison: Tony Allen
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,825

Post#93 » by Klomp » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:43 am

I think I finally figured out a comparison for Victor Oladipo...

Avery Bradley
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
discord
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#94 » by discord » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 am

Nah bruh, some things similar alot tings ain't
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#95 » by Cammo101 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:16 am

RookieJazz wrote:Worst case comparison: Ronnie Brewer
Best case comparison: Tony Allen

IMO...

Best case: Poor man's Wade
Worst case: Tony Allen
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#96 » by ManualRam » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 am

tony allen with a jump shot is a top 10 sg in the league.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
discord
Banned User

Post#97 » by discord » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Top 10 sg when the position is weak, means nothing

But out of this draft who can complain?
thamadkant
Suns Forum Picker of Cherries
And1: 7,771

Post#98 » by thamadkant » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:57 pm

discord wrote:Top 10 sg when the position is weak, means nothing

But out of this draft who can complain?

If you were responding to the Tony Allen with a jump shot / top 10 SG...

I think he meant as in the league... An elite defender who can nail jump shots would be a top 10 SG in the league...not far fetch.
Assuming when the "jump shot" bit means contested jump shots and 17-20 feet range catch and shoot etc...
Ray Hamilton-esque with slashing ability and top 3-5 perimeter defense is many coach's dream.
discord
Banned User

Post#99 » by discord » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 pm

I meant in the league as well. I can see top ten. BUT no Oladipo has NEVER shown the ability to nail contested jump shots at Indiana consistently nor does he take many 17-20 ft jump shots. Honestly, MOST of his slashing is straight line drives. He isn't in the same league as a Wade who can get by with the first step, use the crossover to misdirect, and contort/ use his excellent body control to finish. Way more nuanced. Even if he develops Wade like offensive ability, does he have Wade like vision? How do we know Oladipo is even a competent passer. He isn't even one of Indiana's top 3 scoring options. His activity level/ motor, rebounding, and defense is why you take him and pray that he can develop an offensive game but that is a ways away. I like his game but maybe a bit perturbed that people honestly think he is the next great SG lol.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach

Post#100 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:13 pm

just how tall is Oladipo? They list him as 6-5 but he looks barely 6-4

Return to NBA Draft