Name your busts

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Name your busts 

Post#1 » by erudite23 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Among highly regarded prospects, whom do you think are doomed to be busts?

Alex Len is the biggest one to me. Also think Porter is a role player, Plumlee is end of the bench material and Caldwell Pope is the next Jarvis Hayes.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Re: Name your busts 

Post#2 » by Cammo101 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:09 pm

Victor Oladipo will be a role player in the NBA. Anthony Bennett has a ton of bust potential. CJ McCollum is a 6th man at best. Shane Larkin and Mason Plumlee will be drafted way earlier than they should be.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#3 » by bondom34 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Don't know if Gobert is high enough anymore to even call a bust, depending on when he gets picked I'd say him. Also Shabazz seems like too much of a drama and didn't produce much at UCLA (under an assist per game, mainly volume scoring). Giannis Antetokounmpo (only really proved himself at camp competitions).
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#4 » by Talent Chaser » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:46 pm

There will be no all-stars from the draft class of 2013.
beb0p
Junior
And1: 51

Post#5 » by beb0p » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:46 pm

Otto Porter = Rick Fox/James Posey
Ben McLenmore = JR Smith
Trey Burke = Rafer Alston
Alex Len = Todd MacCulloch
Anthony Bennett = smaller, more athletic Glen Davis
CJ McCollum = Randy Foye
MCW = more athletic Mardy Collins

On the flip side, I think Noel, Shane Larkin, and Shabazz will be better than expected; but obviously none of them are stars. But Shabazz is not a SF. At some point a team needs to realize that and move him to SG, otherwise his body will break down sooner rather than later.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#6 » by [RCG] » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:52 pm

beb0p wrote:Ben McLenmore = JR Smith

:-?
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
adrien broner
Banned User
And1: 68

Post#7 » by adrien broner » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Mclemore olahomedepot len mclemore has no killer instinct he disappears for long strenches and doesn't do anything else but shoot victor is essentially danny green len is a stiff
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#8 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Talent Chaser wrote:There will be no all-stars from the draft class of 2013.

This is a pretty safe assumption here.

The floors on a lot of these players is pretty low, while their ceilings aren't very high.

Could there be a couple all-stars tucked away within this draft? Certainly. But, odds are, there's going to be many busts. I've never seen a draft where so many of the teams with top picks want to trade out of them.
Marvin Martian
Head Coach
And1: 5,055

Post#9 » by Marvin Martian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:41 pm

Bennett, Len, Mclemore
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#10 » by Notanoob » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Len's injuries will ruin him long before he reaches his potential. Which is a shame, because I was cheering for my fellow Ukranian.

McLemore will be a spot-up shooter and nothing special.

MCW is going to be terrible and bust hard-he's bad at way too many things to possibly make it in this league.

Tim Hardaway Jr. will continue to frustrate his coaches by being wildly inconsistent.

McCollum will be a combo-guard and 6th man. Not sure if that counts as a bust, but there's no way that he's a PG, he's not a good defender and his efficiency is really being overstated due to his injury-shortened season.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#11 » by noobcake » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:56 pm

McLemore won't ever be more than a bench shooter. Alex Len, what can he do exactly? I don't see an ounce of skill within him. Stress fracture? No college production? How is this guy even a top projected top 6 pick.

Yes, I do think that 2 out of the consensus top 6 are non-starting material.
Antelz14
Freshman
And1: 6

Post#12 » by Antelz14 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Very pessimistic views here guys, I mean there's only how many FRANCHISE players in the league, by definition of talent there are probably only about 1.5 per draft, this draft just happened to have none.

Tony smith is a name I've heard, I doubt he's anything but a high flyer.
as much as I like bennet I've heard too many questions about his work ethic to expect anything from him.
BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Post#13 » by BaunceyChillups » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:35 pm

McLemore will potentially be out of the league before his rookie deal is up
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,766

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:52 pm

BaunceyChillups wrote:McLemore will potentially be out of the league before his rookie deal is up

Zero chance of this. Too talented. Even if he is a total bust, which is unlikely, they will give him every chance to succeed.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#15 » by ImHeisenberg » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:01 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:McLemore will potentially be out of the league before his rookie deal is up

Does he plan to retire early? :lol:

If Michael Beasley can still find work, McLemore should be fine.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Post#16 » by Jazzfan12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 am

Cammo101 wrote:

Zero chance of this. Too talented. Even if he is a total bust, which is unlikely, they will give him every chance to succeed.

Wesley Johnson and Xavier Henry are pretty similar to McLemore and they're barely hanging on in the NBA after three years.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#17 » by Novocaine » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 am

From DX current lotto picks:

Carter-Williams definitely has some high bust potential. He also has a bit of star potential to counterbalance, but still, very risky pick.

Kelly Olynyk might develop into a Troy Murphy type of player, but I don't see it. He really needs to become a better and faster long range shooter. The most likely player to be out of the league after the 1st contract out of this crop.

Mason Plumlee is big so he might stick for awhile, but I don't see him ever getting a contract higher than the bi-annual exception.

For those who can be relative busts:
- Noel will never live up to the expectations that come with a #1 pick, even if he remains healthy.
- Ditto for McLemore if he gets picked 1st. That's true for pretty much everyone in this draft, except maybe Bennett and Len. I just don't see where McLemore's shot-creation will come from. Well, from his teammates. His shooting and defense will prevent him from being a complete bust.
- Bennett and Len have some bust potential due to health concerns/attitude.
- Porter and Oladipo won't bust, unless people have superstar expectations for them. But I think they have a high-floor as very good role-players, 3rd/4th best players.

First rounders out of the lottery, I think Larkin, Mitchell, Nogueira and Ledo are my biggest concerns. But they're still decent 1st round picks in this draft.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,070

Post#18 » by tidho » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 am

Talent Chaser wrote:There will be no all-stars from the draft class of 2013.

Of all the rampant negativity and asinine pessimism in this thread, this post is my favorite. Yes of all the drafts in NBA history this one will be the first to not supply a player that makes an all star game. That's right folks, no Wally Szczerbiak, Jamaal Magloire, Mo Williams, or Mehmut Okur in this draft!
BuddyLee
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#19 » by BuddyLee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:54 am

With all of the pessimism out there this draft has the potential to be super underrated in a few years when we look back. But I'll still bite - Noel, Bennett, Gobert, and MCW all have some serious bust potential in my opinion.
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#20 » by HornetJail » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:07 am

The entire 1st round

In all seriousness, Bennett, Oladipo, and McLemore could all bust in my opinion.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR

Return to NBA Draft