Jabari Parker will be the best player in the 2014 Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Re: Jabari Parker will be the best player in the 2014 Draft 

Post#81 » by fredericklove » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 pm

DNice68 wrote:I hear all this talk about how he could be a "point forward". Down the road he could and people talk about how how Wiggins has no handle(which is not true). But Parker needs refinement in his ball handling too, he's a solid ball handler but more than once when he was dribbling the ball in the second half he had it poked out. Didn't he have 7 TOs. People talk about Wiggins but Parker's handle is not their either. He has a jumper but don't overrate his handle!

When he draws multiple defenders in the lane, he can instantly spot open guys anywhere w/ quick outlet pass, he's also very good at finding guys in transition, able to throw a long hockey pass right in target's hand, also able to patiently spot open teammates out of a double team, so he definitely has point forward potential. His ball handling like the two above said, is pretty solid and he doesn't over dribble all that too often, he makes decisive dribbles either from a 1-2 step dribble pull up, or dribble aggressively str8 to the rim drawing fouls.
DNice68
Rookie
And1: 376

Post#82 » by DNice68 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:05 pm

I did mix Parker up with Randle and your right he does make good decisions handling the ball and passing to his teammates. Though when handling it to drive and score, he did get the ball poked out twice!
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,066

Post#83 » by UGA Hayes » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:29 pm

^ Yeah but thats not such a big deal if he can consistently create good scoring opportunities. Pierce turns it over a good bit but its worth it.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#84 » by Knighthonor » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:48 am

How is he doing now?
LUUUKE
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#85 » by LUUUKE » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:03 am

Who was better at the same age? Melo or Jabari?
OleSchool
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,344

Post#86 » by OleSchool » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:14 am

I got a ? With Dukes incoming class any chance Parker stays?
NYSixersFan wrote:quite simply, If I were GM, We would have a good young playoff team right now; with cap flexibility going forward

NYSixersFan wrote:I'D BE more then happy to debate you or anyone else on specifics

NYSixersFan wrote:How can I give you specifics? I'm not talking to other GM's
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#87 » by nicnac215 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:58 am

Knighthonor wrote:How is he doing now?

Best freshman Duke has ever had.
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#88 » by dorkestra » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:06 am

missed two threes so far against arizona, but just had a really nice block.
folks who quote what I wrote get choked
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,667

Post#89 » by machu46 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:18 am

LUUUKE wrote:Who was better at the same age? Melo or Jabari?

Melo IMO. Melo was quicker, a better rebounder, and while Jabari's offensive versatility is tremendous, I think Melo had a little bit more in his repertoire. And when Melo was at Syracuse, he was a better (mainly more willing) passer and defender than he is now.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#90 » by EricAnderson » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:01 am

He hasnt done well against nba level athletes {Wiggins Gordon Ashley]
Johnny Be Goode
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#91 » by Johnny Be Goode » Mon Dec 2, 2013 9:17 pm

Do you guys agree with draftexpress' assesment:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIDYdSW2wew[/youtube]
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#92 » by sikma42 » Mon Dec 2, 2013 9:36 pm

Johnny Be Goode wrote:Do you guys agree with draftexpress' assesment:

Nope. I think he will actually be a good defender. But with the rules the way they are, it is NOT in the teams best interest for him to go all out on defense every night. Playing out of position he WILL get into foul trouble and the team will suffer for it...seems like Jabari has realized this. But he is actually a really good one on one defender on the wing imo.
fredericklove
Banned User
And1: 6,398

Post#93 » by fredericklove » Mon Dec 2, 2013 10:28 pm

That play there when he let Ellis scored, he had 3 or 4 foul so he let it go. He may be prone to either fronting his men too much and like DX said, letting his man establish deep position rather easily, but his guards also have to do a better job at applying ball pressure to prevent easy entry pass. His PnR D is pretty bad from all the games I've seen, he doesn't react quick enough to screeners, force to switch and gets caught in mismatch.

Being one of the only two go-to-guy option on the team, I think it's hard for him to give 100% effort on defensive end since he invests so much energy and time on offense, and Coach K hasn't given him much rest in last few games stretch, you can see how exhausted he looked out there. Plus I don't think he's a tweener, he has passable on ball d against man his size due to length and footwork, definitely can play the 3 and the 4 in small ball scenario.
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#94 » by CablexDeadpool » Thu Dec 5, 2013 12:32 am

In response to Draftexpress video.

I don't think he'll be a good man defender.

He'll be a good opportunistic defender and maybe team defener.

He does need to shed some weight. Maybe 230.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
machu46
General Manager

Post#95 » by machu46 » Thu Dec 5, 2013 4:20 pm

Johnny Be Goode wrote:Do you guys agree with draftexpress' assesment:

I agreed with the majority of the video. I think his defense will definitely be a problem going forwards. It'll be interesting to see how he adjusts to the NBA. I think he could have more of a learning curve that a lot of us expect. He has a lot of moves in his repertoire, but it's also much easier for him to get his shot off when he's being defended by guys that aren't NBA athletes/sometimes big men that simply can't compete with him. I think it'll take him a little while to adjust to the athleticism of NBA SFs (where I still think he'll play, though I think Givony from DX said he thinks Parker will be a PF) and learn what he needs to do to get clean looks at the next level. I think he'll always struggle defensively though.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#96 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 5, 2013 4:47 pm

There were some ugly defensive sequences for him on that video. Ultimately, I think the keys are - getting in better shape and playing the 3 rather than the 4. At the 4, his weaknesses will hurt his team more.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,566

Post#97 » by sikma42 » Thu Dec 5, 2013 6:14 pm

I'm really missing these issues when I watch Jabari paly. What I see is a guy who has stamina issues and needs to get in even better shape. But when he locks in he looks like he is going to be a really good man to man defender and team defender. Jabari seems to be a freakishly underrated athlete and people seem to not understand what goes into making a defender. Athleticism is only part of it...there is a reason that PP34 guarded Lebron so well...It was a mix of angles and body positioning, things that Jabari excels at.
machu46
General Manager

Post#98 » by machu46 » Thu Dec 5, 2013 6:18 pm

sikma42 wrote:I'm really missing these issues when I watch Jabari paly. What I see is a guy who has stamina issues and needs to get in even better shape. But when he locks in he looks like he is going to be a really good man to man defender and team defender. Jabari seems to be a freakishly underrated athlete and people seem to not understand what goes into making a defender. Athleticism is only part of it...there is a reason that PP34 guarded Lebron so well...It was a mix of angles and body positioning, things that Jabari excels at.

I don't think he's really shown that he excels at that at all personally. There is a lot more that goes into being a good defender, but it doesn't seem like Jabari has the athleticism or the actual defensive ability (angles and stuff like you mentioned).
Johnny Be Goode
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#99 » by Johnny Be Goode » Sat Dec 7, 2013 3:02 pm

If you go to this clip at 7:52 it clearly shows that Jabari is quick and can defend the pick & roll and hedge. I guess it's more a conditioning issue.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6-Xpc2LKxg[/youtube]
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#100 » by Hendrix » Sat Dec 7, 2013 6:47 pm

It seems like 'Melo' has been thrown around a lot with Jabari. Melo's name kind of carries a negative connotation with it, that includes being selfish, and not overly efficient. Career .545ts% is good but not great. With such a stacked draft class this year, it's kind of worry-some to draft a guy that is being compared to a player that does have some flaws.

I'm wondering if offensively he could be more like Durant or Dirk than Melo though. What sets Dirk and Durant apart from Melo offensively is that they can/could throw up 25-30ppg on a super efficient .600ts%.

It looks like Jabari has all the 'moves' in his repetoire. It's just a matter of if he can take/make efficient shots (eg. getting to the line a lot, shooting efficiently from 3).

If you just kind of make a quick comparison of college scoring #'s on a pro-rated basis per 40 minutes, and take a look at some fficiency numbers...

Jabari- 28.4 points, 63ts%, 57% from 2, 46% from 3, 7.3 fta's,
Melo- 24.4 points, 54ts%, 49.6% from 2, 33.7% from 3, 6.8 fta's
Durant- 28.8 points, 59ts%, 50% from 2, 40% from 3, 8.2fta's.

Obviously scoring stats in college need to be taken with a grain of salt, and there is a lot of season to be played yet.

But, what I'm trying to say is that Jabari's ceiling may be higher than Melo. Perhaps he could be like Dirk, and Durant on offense by scoring a ton, and doing it on extreme efficiency. It looks like the biggest thing that sets Durant and Dirk ahead of Melo in terms of efficeincy is that over their career's, Durant and Dirk take/make a lot more 3's. So far it looks like Jabari is going to be able to shoot a lot of 3's at a high %, and get to the line. I'd say those are the best indicators of scoring efficeincy.

I dunno... To me, in a stacked draft class I have a problem drafting the 'next Melo' 1st overall. But, drafting a player that could be Dirk-esque, or Durant-esque offensively is a pretty easy sell.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???

Return to NBA Draft