Noah Vonleh?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,125

Re: Noah Vonleh? 

Post#101 » by dolphinatik » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Vonleh could go either way from boom to bust. But lets be honest, he is certainly worth a top 7 chance or possibly top 5. If he is determined to come in and work then there is definitely a spot for him in the NBA. If he can get the attitude I see a KG from Vonleh. He could also bulk up and a force down low. Worst case is Jared Jeffries. Many of the other big prospects lack experience. I notice Vonleh every year from HS to college has tried something different. Seems to do what coaches as of him so I expect his game to take the biggest leap in the NBA. 3 years from now I think people will see he was undervalued in this draft.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
AgentZer0
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#102 » by AgentZer0 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 am

Vonleh's comparisons to Chris Bosh are pretty spot on as he does look a lot like Georgia Tech Bosh. Vonleh is an elite rebounder and has the physical tools to be be in the running for All-Star for many years. What scares me about Vonleh is his rawness. There's a lot of good, NBA-ready talent in this draft and he isn't really ready to be a good NBA player. I'm a little concerned he could be Derrick Favors 2.0.

I wrote a full scouting report on Vonleh here: http://freeagentzero.com/2014/06/24/nba ... ah-vonleh/ as well as other scouting reports on top players. There's also a mock draft up on the site.
Check out my in-depth, team-by-team season previews at [color=#0000BF]freeagentzero.com[/color]
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#103 » by Winglish » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:52 am

I'm a little concerned he could be Derrick Favors 2.0.

Explain this, please. Do you mean in terms of how long before he develops? How he plays the game?

NBA.com's new analytics page shows Derrick Favors as the 15th most impactful defensive player in the NBA (Ibaka #1). Can Vonleh be that impactful on defense, do you think?
AgentZer0
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#104 » by AgentZer0 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:52 am

Favors showed flashes of what he can do, but has taken him 4 years just to start scratching his potential. Vonleh could require that type of patience. Their college stats are pretty similar for the most part, similarly built. In this draft, you'd rather have results sooner rather than later. Worth noting that Favors' improved play didn't lead to an improvement for his team so he might be benefitting from the lack of options around him statistically.

Put it this way, Utah's reportedly offering Favors and #5 to move up a few picks, no one seems to be biting on it. If he were THAT impressive, someone would jump on it or Utah wouldn't be throwing his name around in trades.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Check out my in-depth, team-by-team season previews at [color=#0000BF]freeagentzero.com[/color]
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#105 » by EvanZ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Favors appears to be one of the best pick and roll players in the league. If he had a point guard who could run it (say Kyrie Irving) he could be Amare 2.0. Just saying.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#106 » by EricAnderson » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:46 pm

How many of these workout wonders who do much better in workouts thne on the floor in college pan out? not many
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,011

Post#107 » by moss_is_1 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:Favors appears to be one of the best pick and roll players in the league. If he had a point guard who could run it (say Kyrie Irving) he could be Amare 2.0. Just saying.

Kyrie can run the pick and roll?
tester551
Analyst
And1: 815

Post#108 » by tester551 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:01 pm

EvanZ wrote:Favors appears to be one of the best pick and roll players in the league. If he had a point guard who could run it (say Kyrie Irving) he could be Amare 2.0. Just saying.

I admittedly didn't watch a whole lot of Trey Burke last year, but I thought Trey was one of the best P&R PG in college at Michigan.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#109 » by Notanoob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:03 pm

tester551 wrote:

I admittedly didn't watch a whole lot of Trey Burke last year, but I thought Trey was one of the best P&R PG in college at Michigan.
He was. He and McGary were demolishing people in the NCAA tournament.
Winglish
Analyst

Post#110 » by Winglish » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:17 pm

by Notanoob » less than a minute ago

tester551 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Favors appears to be one of the best pick and roll players in the league. If he had a point guard who could run it (say Kyrie Irving) he could be Amare 2.0. Just saying.

Utah Jazz under Ty Corbin did not run a ton of P&R. Honestly, the offense was a mess.

Let's get back to Vonleh- Did he run pick and pop at Indiana? Pick and roll? How does he play the two man game?
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#111 » by ManualRam » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:39 pm

Winglish wrote:
by Notanoob » less than a minute ago

tester551 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

Utah Jazz under Ty Corbin did not run a ton of P&R. Honestly, the offense was a mess.

Let's get back to Vonleh- Did he run pick and pop at Indiana? Pick and roll? How does he play the two man game?

with vonleh it's not about what he did, it's about what he can possibly do. he can set wide screens, has great hands and a huge catch radius, soft touch on hooks with either hand, shows promise shooting from stationary positions as well.

he's not a back to the basket C, but that is the position he played in college. he was always more of a 4/3 (actually grew up as more of a 3 and was projected to be one before he bulked up massively) as opposed to a 4/5. i think his offensive game will more resemble abdur-rahim's as opposed to anyone else mentioned in this thread. i think his ability to put the ball on the deck will surprise. he gets low on his drives with good ball control and some variety of moves, can wheel around defenders with wide spin moves and footwork, using his lower body strength and width to seal defenders on spins and drop steps. he might not be as prolific as SAR was a consistent 20 ppg scorer, but i think he can play a similar style as more of a face up, wheeling PF offensively who can also hit face up standstill jumpers.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,183

Post#112 » by Notanoob » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:05 pm

ManualRam wrote:with vonleh it's not about what he did, it's about what he can possibly do. he can set wide screens, has great hands and a huge catch radius, soft touch on hooks with either hand, shows promise shooting from stationary positions as well.
I'd contest this. He was terrible at catching the ball, but that may have had more to do with having no on-court awareness than simply having butterfingers.
Winglish
Analyst

Post#113 » by Winglish » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:56 pm

i think his offensive game will more resemble abdur-rahim's as opposed to anyone else mentioned in this thread.

Man, I hope you're right if he comes to Utah. Shareef was a stud in the NBA. Thanks for the insights.

Return to NBA Draft