Noah Vonleh?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Noah Vonleh? 

Post#21 » by ManualRam » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:38 pm

dorkestra wrote:I'm being pessimistic, but might he be Jared Jeffries?

vonleh's got better strength, touch and scoring instincts overall. at the very least, he has a knack for finding open spots in the defense for dumpoffs and tip in opps. he's also strong enough physically to seal his man which jared never was. jeffries was like the king of the blown bunny because he was so angular, weak and lacking in touch.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,522

Post#22 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:27 am

If his perimeter shot is for real I think he's a great prospect, getting his FT to the 70s may be as good a sign as the 3s he's hitting regularly now. Doesn't have to hit 3s in the NBA but 15-20 foot range would go a long way. The feel for the game is definitely there. But doesn't look that explosive to me. Can't disagree more with the Tristan Thompson comparison, I think he has more in common with like, Zbo. TT's biggest problem to me is he is mechanical while Vonleh looks to be one of the more fluid and natural players in the draft, but TT also is a great athlete to make up for it
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#23 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:42 am

I'm a huge Vonleh fan. I think he's a future All-Star in the NBA.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#24 » by LloydFree » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:42 pm

Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:I'm a huge Vonleh fan. I think he's a future All-Star in the NBA.

From what I've seen this year so far, I think Vonleh will be one of the 5 best players from this draft assuming health.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#25 » by Grits n Gravy » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Chad Ford has said a lot of scouts have moved him ahead of Randle on their boards.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#26 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Grits n Gravy wrote:Chad Ford has said a lot of scouts have moved him ahead of Randle on their boards.

He is ahead of Randle on my board. I think his skills will transfer better to the pros.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#27 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:24 pm

I don't know how they will translate but Vonleh ceiling is not worthy of a top10 pick, Randle is.
That's what is important, period.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#28 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Though I do not agree that Randle has a higher ceiling than Vonleh, I can understand why some would see it that way. Randle is quicker, and seemingly more explosive. Vonleh has more length, is younger, and has more room to grow into his body. I believe Vonleh is a prototype NBA PF. Randle's lack of length will limit his upside in the NBA.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#29 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:15 pm

Vonleh upside is just being a do-it-all forward, Randle can lead a team in scoring in the NBA in the future.
Vonleh is a more mobile version of TThompson, Randle lack of length could be important on defense if he is not paired with the right Center, but in offense he will always produce, at worst he is Carlos Boozer.
I will always pick Boozer ahead of a team player like a Thompson, for example.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#30 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:08 pm

I don't see where Julius Randle's offensive upside is any better than Noah Vonleh'. And Noah Vonleh clearly has the better defensive upside.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#31 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:18 pm

LloydFree wrote:I don't see where Julius Randle's offensive upside is any better than Noah Vonleh'. And Noah Vonleh clearly has the better defensive upside.

Vonleh is a little bit longer than Randle, while not being as stronger and not playing as hard as Randle, his motor is worse.
I don't really see that difference, whereas in offense it clearly exist, Randle in Indiana will be beasting at Beasley/Durant's level.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#32 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Fischella wrote:
LloydFree wrote:I don't see where Julius Randle's offensive upside is any better than Noah Vonleh'. And Noah Vonleh clearly has the better defensive upside.

Vonleh is a little bit longer than Randle, while not being as stronger and not playing as hard as Randle, his motor is worse.
I don't really see that difference, whereas in offense it clearly exist, Randle in Indiana will be beasting at Beasley/Durant's level.

What Randle would do at Indiana against big ten college players has nothing to do with his projection against pros.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#33 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm

LloydFree wrote:
Fischella wrote:

What Randle would do at Indiana against big ten college players has nothing to do with his projection against pros.

I agree, but what Vonleh is doing, does.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#34 » by LloydFree » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Fischella wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
Fischella wrote:Vonleh is a little bit longer than Randle, while not being as stronger and not playing as hard as Randle, his motor is worse.

I agree, but what Vonleh is doing, does.

No it doesnt. Because the counting numbers and college production dont matter. The transferable tools, and Skills are what matters.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#35 » by No-Man » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:41 pm

Of course, that's what I'm talking about when I'm pointing at what Vonleh is doing.
His skills will translate into being a do-it-all forward, a team player.
You just don't pick a guy with that ceiling, that high, ahead of a player like Randle.
black bart
Rookie
And1: 40

Post#36 » by black bart » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Fischella, you are a ltitle bias. SEC is a much weaker conference and you said julius randle would dominate the big 10 which is arguably the strongest conference. I don't see any evidence that randle and kentucky wildcats would perform better against wisconsin,, michigan state, iowa st, ohio st, and minnesota. On the contrary, I see the opposite. I don't understand why you even said that SEC is a better conference than big 10.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#37 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Feb 2, 2014 8:02 pm

Vonleh was impressive against Michigan today. He has a nose for the ball.

I like him as a prospect quite a bit.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#38 » by brackdan70 » Mon Feb 3, 2014 11:41 pm

black bart wrote:Fischella, you are a ltitle bias. SEC is a much weaker conference and you said julius randle would dominate the big 10 which is arguably the strongest conference. I don't see any evidence that randle and kentucky wildcats would perform better against wisconsin,, michigan state, iowa st, ohio st, and minnesota. On the contrary, I see the opposite. I don't understand why you even said that SEC is a better conference than big 10.

No Doubt Big Ten is Better, but not comparing conferences, comparing players.

I like Vonleh as well but FWIW Kentucky SOS up to this point is #5, Indiana is #55.
Randle has faced much stiffer competition so far.
Sign here
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#39 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 am

Is there any guy in the NBA who would be a solid comparison? He is 11/19 from deep this season and his Free Throw Percentage is at 72,3% which is pretty good for a big man. Can he become the 4th pick in the draft?
crazy_me_87
Analyst
And1: 1,877

Post#40 » by crazy_me_87 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:20 am

Kaioken wrote:Is there any guy in the NBA who would be a solid comparison? He is 11/19 from deep this season and his Free Throw Percentage is at 72,3% which is pretty good for a big man. Can he become the 4th pick in the draft?

a little stronger more defensive Chris Bosh? as his ceiling

Return to NBA Draft