Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach
And1: 213

Re: Aaron Gordon 

Post#2 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:55 am

Best: Amir Johnson
Worst: James Michael McAdoo
Most likely: Al-Farouq Aminu

Terrible offensive player, good defender but I don't think he's big enough to make a huge impact defensively in the NBA.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#3 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:48 pm

He's now shooting 25% from the field on shots away from the rim and 45% on free throws.
mikecuh
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by mikecuh » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 pm

I don't believe he can live up to the Blake Griffin hype
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#5 » by DirtyDez » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:17 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:He's now shooting 25% from the field on shots away from the rim and 45% on free throws.

I believe it but where did you see that stat?
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Jazzfan12
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by Jazzfan12 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:15 pm

DirtyDez wrote:
Jazzfan12 wrote:He's now shooting 25% from the field on shots away from the rim and 45% on free throws.

Hoop-math.com gives the breakdown of percentage of shots taken at the rim, from midrange, and from three and lists the conversion percentages from each spot as well. If you calculate out the amount of midrange shots and threes attempted and made using these percentages and combine the numbers, the total shooting percentage on midrange shots and threes (shots away from the rim) is 25% (it's 24.5% for midrange alone as well).
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 525

Post#7 » by Silver Man » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:35 am

Not a fan of a guy who doesn't really have a set nba position and will be undersized if he plays power forward especially one who can't shoot well. Very athletic but athletisism only gets you so far in the nba when you don't have a jump shot and are undersized as a big.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,526

Post#8 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:42 am

I think he'll settle into the 10-14 range. He has flaws but if he has the chance to be a Faried level player that's worth a lotto pick
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#9 » by doordoor123 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:41 pm

I think he could be a good defensive player for a contender. If a lottery team looks like they could have a playoff run next season with moves in the offseason, I would think he would go there. I could see him going to the Nuggets, Mavericks, Knicks, Grizzlies, Warriors, or the Suns. So late lottery/early after-lotto. Any other team would be a huge mistake. I think he could be even better on a team like the Clippers or Heat.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout

Post#10 » by DirtyDez » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:07 pm

Jazzfan12 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Hoop-math.com gives the breakdown of percentage of shots taken at the rim, from midrange, and from three and lists the conversion percentages from each spot as well. If you calculate out the amount of midrange shots and threes attempted and made using these percentages and combine the numbers, the total shooting percentage on midrange shots and threes (shots away from the rim) is 25% (it's 24.5% for midrange alone as well).

You got me hooked on that site now. :lol:
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man
And1: 937

Post#11 » by TucsonClip » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 am

Leading the nation in defensive win shares and will likely be the youngest player in the draft.

I dont see him as a 3 in the NBA, but a faceup 4 who needs to develop post moves. His jumper will improve, but its far away right now, although not broken like MKG's. Solid form, but cant maintain consistency.

Hes an elite defender who will be a plus defender on the perimeter and in the paint as he gains more weight.

Hes a project big who surprisingly can make an impact defensively right away. His offense is a ways away, but he has good handles and can get to the rim and finish.
Plus, why would I want to go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros.

- Shane Battier
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout

Post#12 » by DirtyDez » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:02 am

TucsonClip wrote:Leading the nation in defensive win shares and will likely be the youngest player in the draft.

I dont see him as a 3 in the NBA, but a faceup 4 who needs to develop post moves. His jumper will improve, but its far away right now, although not broken like MKG's. Solid form, but cant maintain consistency.

Hes an elite defender who will be a plus defender on the perimeter and in the paint as he gains more weight.

Hes a project big who surprisingly can make an impact defensively right away. His offense is a ways away, but he has good handles and can get to the rim and finish.

MKG shot 75% from the line at Kentucky.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#13 » by Golabki » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:36 am

The good on Gordon is that he is a very young freshman who is a top 3 player on, what may well, the best team in the country.

The bad is it's hard to see what he'll do well in the NBA.

He's not big enough to play center and he's not a good enough shooter to play the 3... which makes him a 1 position player in the NBA... which is a red flag. His shooting can be brutal and the FT% is under 50, which is another red flag. Numbers-wise he isn't great in any area.

Poor man's Griffin seems right in terms of style, but Griffin was a MUCH better college player.
Eoghan
RealGM
And1: 3,293

Post#14 » by Eoghan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:33 am

Reminds me of a more athletic, less skilled David Lee.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#15 » by TheNewEra » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:13 am

If he falls pretty hard in the draft would be kind of cool if LAC took him and Blake took him under his wing. Not likely to happen but think Doc and Blake could bring him along slow and help him improve.
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by TucsonClip » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:08 pm

DirtyDez wrote:MKG shot 75% from the line at Kentucky.

Im talking about his form. It was broken and still is broken. Granted, he is also very young and has plenty of time to improve that, Gordon's form isnt broken. It simply is no where near consistent. His release point is low and in front of his head, he cant keep his elbow in, the ball rolls off his hand differently each time. The form need some work, but looks much more fundamental than MKG's.

- Shane Battier
Tave
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,356

Post#17 » by Tave » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:19 pm

TucsonClip wrote:Leading the nation in defensive win shares and will likely be the youngest player in the draft.

IMO, he would be far better served by working on his offhand and midrange game than continuing to hoist up 3s with terrible form, but oddly enough Coach Miller never consulted me about it.

Although a little undersized for a NBA PF, he has the strength, 1st and 2nd hop, and wingspan to earn a living in the paint. That's where he gets all his points now anyway.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#18 » by ManualRam » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:26 pm

where do you see this stat at?
the list i see delon wright is leading the nation in DWS (not that that's a good stat or anything).
tj mcconnell's on there, but gordon isn't.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
TucsonClip
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by TucsonClip » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:16 am

ManualRam wrote:where do you see this stat at?
the list i see delon wright is leading the nation in DWS (not that that's a good stat or anything).

Sorry, appears he slipped a bit in the last week. He is now tied for 4th with 1.8. Wright now leads the nation at 2.2.

Still, Gordon with a sub par offensive game against Stanford tonight, but comes up huge one defense again. Block, rebound and dunk late in the game to help turn it around.

Hes the best defender on one of the best defensive teams in the nation and he just turned 18. Kid is unreal.

- Shane Battier
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#20 » by ManualRam » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 am

TucsonClip wrote:
ManualRam wrote:where do you see this stat at?

Sorry, appears he slipped a bit in the last week. He is now tied for 4th with 1.8. Wright now leads the nation at 2.2.

Still, Gordon with a sub par offensive game against Stanford tonight, but comes up huge one defense again. Block, rebound and dunk late in the game to help turn it around.

Hes the best defender on one of the best defensive teams in the nation and he just turned 18. Kid is unreal.

the list i see he's not in the top 10.
i think nick johnson's the best defender on that team and i think rhj projects to be the better defender going forward. i noticed powell blew by gordon with ease on a couple of possessions, like on that game tying play at the end of the game. it was like ag wasn't even there.

offensively gordon was really bad tonight. worse than usual. stanford was hardly defending him on a number of possessions, playing at least 5 feet off him and he couldn't do anything. i know zona sees a lot zone, but i'm thinking the best defense vs them is a soft man, using gordon's man as a rover. that would help with block out responsibilities vs them.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo

Return to NBA Draft