Tyus Jones

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,799

Re: Tyus Jones 

Post#61 » by Mik317 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:59 pm

Mudiay isn't even that athletic and has other skills tho. He can set dudes up, has a nice dribble, can get in the paint and other stuff...this notion that he is just another short guard that jumps really high is wrong.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#62 » by Marcus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:09 pm

Mik317 wrote:Mudiay isn't even that athletic and has other skills tho. He can set dudes up, has a nice dribble, can get in the paint and other stuff...this notion that he is just another short guard that jumps really high is wrong.

its a hard sell to make because he played overseas so instead of just waiting to see they'd rather assumed everything good about him is false or overrated.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#63 » by MotownMadness » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:34 am

Scary moment going on for him right now. Come down hard on his tail bone pretty hard. I think it just sent a shocker up his spine or something for a minute but he might of just twisted something in that lower back or fractured that tailbone.
noobcake
Banned User
And1: 442

Post#64 » by noobcake » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:42 am

back spasm, back in game
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,766

Post#65 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:54 am

Tyus Jones just seems like a future Laker, Celtic, or Knick, meaning he can succeed & thrive on a big stage.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,767

Post#66 » by Upperclass » Sun Mar 8, 2015 5:16 am

Cant shake the Jordan Farmar vibe from Jones.. Dont think he's a topflight NBA guard.. just dont see it.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#67 » by Marcus » Sun Mar 8, 2015 6:08 am

Upperclass wrote:Cant shake the Jordan Farmar vibe from Jones.. Dont think he's a topflight NBA guard.. just dont see it.

Where do you see farmar in his game?
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,451

Post#68 » by ibraheim718 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 6:17 am

Marcus wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Cant shake the Jordan Farmar vibe from Jones.. Dont think he's a topflight NBA guard.. just dont see it.

It's just the looks.. seriously man. Jones is a much, much better passer/facilitator, he can change speeds better than Farmar, and he plays with more poise and composure. The only similarities are appearance, hair, and how they look when they're trying to finish at the bucket. That's it.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#69 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Mar 8, 2015 2:30 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

It's just the looks.. seriously man. Jones is a much, much better passer/facilitator, he can change speeds better than Farmar, and he plays with more poise and composure. The only similarities are appearance, hair, and how they look when they're trying to finish at the bucket. That's it.

Farmar was bigger and more athletic and a better scorer coming out of HS. Lets not forget he was a burger boy as well, wasn't some scrub on the D1 level. Jones I would say has a better feel for the game, but his ability to finish/score is hard to project. He is a smaller size pg who doesn't have freak hops/wingspan. he sorta plays like shane larkin
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#70 » by doordoor123 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 2:39 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Farmar was bigger and more athletic and a better scorer coming out of HS. Lets not forget he was a burger boy as well, wasn't some scrub on the D1 level. Jones I would say has a better feel for the game, but his ability to finish/score is hard to project. He is a smaller size pg who doesn't have freak hops/wingspan. he sorta plays like shane larkin

Uh Shane was one of the most athletic players of his class. He pretty much only plays with his athleticism and pick&roll. He's nothing like Larkin or Farmar. He compares well to Trey Burke at the pro level. Look, to be a point guard in the league, you need one of two things: to either 1) finish at the rim or 2) be able to hit three point shots. Trey Burke can't finish at the rim and has to use his three point shot and passing to get anything done. He needs to learn to make three pointers.
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,213

Post#71 » by Zombiesonics » Sun Mar 8, 2015 2:51 pm

doordoor123 wrote:
Zombiesonics wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Uh Shane was one of the most athletic players of his class. He pretty much only plays with his athleticism and pick&roll. He's nothing like Larkin or Farmar. He compares well to Trey Burke at the pro level. Look, to be a point guard in the league, you need one of two things: to either 1) finish at the rim or 2) be able to hit three point shots. Trey Burke can't finish at the rim and has to use his three point shot and passing to get anything done. He needs to learn to make three pointers.

well shane still stinks at finishing the paint in the league. their floor games project similarly IMO
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#72 » by EricAnderson » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:30 pm

I like the Conley comparisons
mattg
General Manager
And1: 3,012

Post#73 » by mattg » Mon Mar 9, 2015 3:26 am

Zombiesonics wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Marcus wrote:

Let's just compare players to who they have the most similar skin tone to.
Pass it
Rookie
And1: 883

Post#74 » by Pass it » Tue Apr 7, 2015 3:39 am

This kid is an underrated prospect because of his physical tools.

Whoever drafts him will be getting a steal of a pick.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#75 » by AQuintus » Tue Apr 7, 2015 4:08 am

EricAnderson wrote:I like the Conley comparisons

Conley is a much better athlete, but their playing styles are similar.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#76 » by RSCD3_ » Tue Apr 7, 2015 4:11 am

AQuintus wrote:
EricAnderson wrote:I like the Conley comparisons

Conley is a much better athlete, but their playing styles are similar.

I wouldnt say much better, conley has more muscle but Tyus is a quick, feisty guy.
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#77 » by AQuintus » Tue Apr 7, 2015 4:13 am

RSCD3_ wrote:I wouldnt say much better, conley has more muscle but Tyus is a quick, feisty guy.

Conley is faster and has a 40+ inch vertical.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,411
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#78 » by E-Balla » Tue Apr 7, 2015 4:26 am

AQuintus wrote:
RSCD3_ wrote:I wouldnt say much better, conley has more muscle but Tyus is a quick, feisty guy.

Conley is faster and has a 40+ inch vertical.

Conley is a racecar to Tyus' buggy. Mike is a super athlete.
nickforthreee
Sixth Man
And1: 217

Post#79 » by nickforthreee » Tue Apr 7, 2015 4:36 am

don't think he's a starter in the NBA, but I think he could be a very good backup in the league.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,187

Post#80 » by Notanoob » Tue Apr 7, 2015 4:48 am

Comparing him to Trey Burke, just on stats, you can see the similarities.
Per40 pace adjusted
Burke: 1.9 steals, .6 blocks, .6 offensive rebounds, 3.1 defensive rebounds
Jones: 1.8 steals, .1 blocks, .6 offensive rebounds, 3.5 defensive rebounds
Burke comes out ahead here due to his big advantage in blocks and marginally better steal rate. The first three stats are typically indicators of a player's athleticism, and both of these guys are a bit lacking obviously.

Then looking at percentages and stuff:
Burke: 50.3 2P%, 38.3 3P%, 3.11A/TO, .459FTA/2PA, 64.5 FG% at rim, 45.5 FG% on 2P not at rim
Jones: 44 2P%, 37.4 3P%, 2.78A.TO, .816FTA/2PA, 55.8 FG% at rim, 35.4 FG% on 2P not at rim
Burke is far ahead of Jones here in everything except FTA/2PA, and roughly equal in 3P%. Jones' finishing is pretty bad. Given how much Burke has struggled that's bad news for Jones.

Jones' better FTA/2PA can be explained by their shot distribution. Looking at hoop-math.com, Burke took a tiny 19% of his shots at the rim, and 45% of his shots were non-rim 2s. Shots near the rim are much more likely to draw fouls than non-rim looks, and it's already clear the Burke was relying on his jumper in college. Jones on the other hand takes 24.8% of his shot at the rim while just 36.3% of his shots are 2 pointers not at the rim. When he goes inside the ark, Jones makes it all the way to the rim more often, so he's drawing fouls a lot better.

Jones' TS% was just one point higher than Burke's at 58% despite shooting worse across the board- this is because he relied so heavily on 3s and drew so many fouls. However, Burke also carried a significantly higher scoring load compared to Jones, being his team's #1 option, while Jones is just 4th on his team in terms of FGA.

At Utah, Burke has sort of moved off ball into the SG role, basically giving up on trying to score at the rim and just shooting jumpers. His ability to be a floor-general hasn't translated because he's such a weak threat as a slasher. Of course, looking back it's obvious that getting to the rim wasn't a huge part of Burke's game in the first place so it's no wonder he abandoned it quickly, but at least he packed a solid mid-rage game. Slashing is a fairly small part of Jones' game too, and that certainly has something to do with giving room for Okafor to operate, but it has to be a concern for him in the NBA. Plus he hasn't shown much of a mid-range game at all to back it up.

Return to NBA Draft