D'angelo Russell

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

gdagod10
Sophomore
And1: 154

Re: D'angelo Russell 

Post#61 » by gdagod10 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:55 am

As far as guards go I think besides Mudiay, Russell has the biggest upside. I see a lot of Damian Lillard in him minus the handles. I believe Russell's stock will be much higher if he sells himself as a PG/Combo Guard. He doesn't explode around the rim but neither did Lillard in college. If you're looking for a more polished SG that's a bit older check out Delon Wright from Utah. I think he will get slept on because of his age but he is a prototypical SG through and through. Unfortunately for Russell he may fall into a slump similar to Levert because the offense relies so heavily on him. I think this kid will be a stud in the NBA and with the lack of guards and wing player talent in 2015 I do believe Russell will go top 7 in this draft. By lack of wing player talent I mean Justise Winslow has looked very mediocre while Stanley Johnson lacks handle and can only bully his way to the rim, on top of a very ugly jumpshot. Oubre is incredibly smooth but he's still raw in terms of handle and focus on defense.

If these players continue to play the way they are I think Russell will finish ahead of Johnson, WInslow & Oubre, while Oubre becomes a more attractive prospect than Winslow. Johnson has the makings of an absolute bull on the wing but his handles aren't there along with his jumpshot. Oubre has been shooting lights out since starting again and I seriously think he's going to make a major stride in terms of stock.

I wish these AAU coaches focused more on jumpshooting and less on transitional dunks and highlight reels. Even in 2014 the majority of players had inconsistent jumpshots which included Wiggins, Smart, Payton and Exum.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#62 » by Marcus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:54 pm

gdagod10 wrote:As far as guards go I think besides Mudiay, Russell has the biggest upside. I see a lot of Damian Lillard in him minus the handles. I believe Russell's stock will be much higher if he sells himself as a PG/Combo Guard. He doesn't explode around the rim but neither did Lillard in college. If you're looking for a more polished SG that's a bit older check out Delon Wright from Utah. I think he will get slept on because of his age but he is a prototypical SG through and through. Unfortunately for Russell he may fall into a slump similar to Levert because the offense relies so heavily on him. I think this kid will be a stud in the NBA and with the lack of guards and wing player talent in 2015 I do believe Russell will go top 7 in this draft. By lack of wing player talent I mean Justise Winslow has looked very mediocre while Stanley Johnson lacks handle and can only bully his way to the rim, on top of a very ugly jumpshot. Oubre is incredibly smooth but he's still raw in terms of handle and focus on defense.

If these players continue to play the way they are I think Russell will finish ahead of Johnson, WInslow & Oubre, while Oubre becomes a more attractive prospect than Winslow. Johnson has the makings of an absolute bull on the wing but his handles aren't there along with his jumpshot. Oubre has been shooting lights out since starting again and I seriously think he's going to make a major stride in terms of stock.

I wish these AAU coaches focused more on jumpshooting and less on transitional dunks and highlight reels. Even in 2014 the majority of players had inconsistent jumpshots which included Wiggins, Smart, Payton and Exum.

Delon Wright is definitely a PG through and through.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#63 » by reanimator » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:20 pm

gdagod10 wrote:A=Unfortunately for Russell he may fall into a slump similar to Levert because the offense relies so heavily on him..

I can't say that I agree. Scott, Thompson and Williams create enough turnovers to get them out in transition and Loving is better offensively than anyone on UM's roster not named Levert. Russell also has the luxury to play off ball with Scott that you just won't get from Walton or Albrecht. His bad games come from hot/cold shooting and no reliable way to finish at the rim in the halfcourt.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,837

Post#64 » by Negrodamus » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:21 pm

Man, this Ohio State team is giving pathetic effort against an inferior (in terms of talent) Iowa team. You'd think a coach of Matta's esteem would light a fire under his players.
JFarfan18
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#65 » by JFarfan18 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:29 pm

EvilGenius
Freshman
And1: 17

Post#66 » by EvilGenius » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:44 pm

Just put up 27pt/14reb vs IOWA in a loss. I would love for the Sixers to take this kid in the 3-6 range.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#67 » by reanimator » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:38 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvFG4OKbYdc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,971

Post#68 » by Domejandro » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:50 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyy-6W0llP8[/youtube]

I have watched him only once, so I will refrain from commenting on him other than stating that pass is special.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#69 » by treefi » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:48 am

Domejandro wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyy-6W0llP8[/youtube]

I have watched him only once, so I will refrain from commenting on him other than stating that pass is special.

Wow!

.. and he might be the best shooter in the draft.. For that reason (and Big 10 vs China competition)..Russell > Mudiay.. stands 6'5" w/ shoes, right? Yeah I've got him #3 overall.
MinneOOPalis
Analyst
And1: 1,415

Post#70 » by MinneOOPalis » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:50 am

He might be the most skilled combo guard since Harden.
MCDubbin
Junior
And1: 547

Post#71 » by MCDubbin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:04 am

I don't know

I see a non-flashy but more smooth Brandon Jennings.

Does he ever finish with his right hand?

Even going to his right, he changes his whole body so he could lay it up with his left hand. For such skilled player, it has to be concerning to see him not being able to finish or even attempt with his right hand.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Marcus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 am

treefi wrote:
Domejandro wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyy-6W0llP8[/youtube]

Wow!

.. and he might be the best shooter in the draft.. For that reason (and Big 10 vs China competition)..Russell > Mudiay.. stands 6'5" w/ shoes, right? Yeah I've got him #3 overall.

out of sight out of mind here huh?

Manny isn't the shooter D.Russ is. however the handle is tighter, he's much stronger, better finisher, better defensive potential, natural PG.

Yeah I dunno.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#73 » by Marcus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:52 am

MCDubbin wrote:I don't know

Even going to his right, he changes his whole body so he could lay it up with his left hand. For such skilled player, it has to be concerning to see him not being able to finish or even attempt with his right hand.

Exum made it to the league with one hand and NOWHERE near the jumper D.Russ has.
Watch More Basketball

MCDubbin
Junior

Post#74 » by MCDubbin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:11 pm

Marcus wrote:

Exum made it to the league with one hand and NOWHERE near the jumper D.Russ has.

What's your point?

Exum has been a huge bust so far.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#75 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Marcus wrote:

Exum is longer and much quicker with the ball, is not even close, Exum first step is elite.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#76 » by LloydFree » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:02 pm

MinneOOPalis wrote:He might be the most skilled combo guard since Harden.

That's what I see. He has a skilled and mature game. I don't remember a Freshman the last couple years that looked this advanced. As far weaknesses: He has to improve his body (add muscle). He has to learn to finish through contact at the rim, and he has to improve his outside shooting on the right hand side of the court. He's 18, so Improvement on his body is not much of a concern.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
No-Man
RealGM

Post#77 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:06 pm

LloydFree wrote:

That's what I see. He has a skilled and mature game. I don't remember a Freshman the last couple years that looked this advanced. As far weaknesses: He has to improve his body (add muscle). He has to learn to finish through contact at the rim, and he has to improve his outside shooting on the right hand side of the court. He's 18, so Improvement on his body is not much of a concern.

I like him as a top10 too, but the Harden comp is a stretch, Russell has a really weak frame and hasnt even develop a floater to finish around the hoop, Harden is a bull, with the strongest lower body I've seen for a Guard in many year and his shot is as deadly as Russell.
Improvement on his body is a concern when you look at his frame, there are things that are impossible to change due tou genetics, he might get a little stronger, but it wont be a big transformation.
He is too passive sometimes also, he doesnt play tunned in all the game, he comes and goes, kind of like Curry sometimes, he plays cold.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#78 » by LloydFree » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:47 pm

Fischella wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

I like him as a top10 too, but the Harden comp is a stretch, Russell has a really weak frame and hasnt even develop a floater to finish around the hoop, Harden is a bull, with the strongest lower body I've seen for a Guard in many year and his shot is as deadly as Russell.
Improvement on his body is a concern when you look at his frame, there are things that are impossible to change due tou genetics, he might get a little stronger, but it wont be a big transformation.
He is too passive sometimes also, he doesnt play tunned in all the game, he comes and goes, kind of like Curry sometimes, he plays cold.

The comp is not to Harden as a player with "similar skills", but to Harden's "skill level" at a young stage. Harden had the game of a 28 year old, even college. So no, Russell doesn't have his skill level, but I can't remember anybody else with that kind of skill level since then.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
MCDubbin
Junior

Post#79 » by MCDubbin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:04 pm

Manu Ginobli good comparison for him?
No-Man
RealGM

Post#80 » by No-Man » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:10 pm

MCDubbin wrote:Manu Ginobli good comparison for him?

No is not, Ginobili is a way better athlete overall.

Return to NBA Draft