Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Future draft classes 

Post#1821 » by Marcus » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Thoughts on Makur potentially joining the 2020 draft?

don't think it's a bad move for him. It's such a wide open pool and he could launch his name right near the top much easier than i suspect he would in the 2021 class.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#1822 » by GimmeDat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Marcus wrote:

don't think it's a bad move for him. It's such a wide open pool and he could launch his name right near the top much easier than i suspect he would in the 2021 class.

You seen much of him? Think he'd go top 10?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,187

Post#1823 » by clyde21 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 pm

nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Kuminga is a good athlete but I don't know if I see elite athlete yet

Not sure where you're coming from there. He can get to the top of the square pretty easily. Like this is basically off one step.

Read on Twitter

yea, again haven't seen much of him, but first go around I didn't see elite stop-and-go ability or the loose hips, but yea the verticality is for sure there, but that's not all what athleticism is about

need to see a lot more tho obviously have only been focusing on the '20 guys at this point
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1824 » by clyde21 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 pm

would instantly be top 3 for me
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1825 » by GimmeDat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:16 pm

clyde21 wrote:

would instantly be top 3 for me

Sounds like you rate him. I'm trying to work out why DX dropped him to 21 on their most recent mock, not that that necessarily means much.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1826 » by Marcus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:02 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Marcus wrote:

based on what he brings to the table and based on what we know so far of this class yeah i think he'd have to go top 10 quite easily (likely higher). He's Thon with actually size, tangible size, and IQ. Only difference is the motor between the two. But if you're looking at guys like Jokic and Horford and seeing 3 level ability from your 5 and this kid gives you some of that with better athleticism and defensive potential why wouldn't you go for it, especially in 20" Are there even any other 7 footers worth the mention outside of Wiseman?
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1827 » by GimmeDat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:14 am

Marcus wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Marcus wrote:

based on what he brings to the table and based on what we know so far of this class yeah i think he'd have to go top 10 quite easily (likely higher). He's Thon with actually size, tangible size, and IQ. Only difference is the motor between the two. But if you're looking at guys like Jokic and Horford and seeing 3 level ability from your 5 and this kid gives you some of that with better athleticism and defensive potential why wouldn't you go for it, especially in 20" Are there even any other 7 footers worth the mention outside of Wiseman?

I was pretty early to get on the bandwagon because (Aussie talent), but my reservations stem from the fact that I imagine the whole 'point-center' stuff is meaningless, untranslatable hype, he can kinda handle a touch but not against NBA level I think, don't think there's any OTD shooting there, and from the clips I've seen nothing outstanding on the passing front (I'm sure he can make good reads but I feel like outlier passing skill would be apparent even in highlights).

I agree he looks like a much better functional athlete than Thon, moves a bit better, I think can play above the rim better, bigger frame/stronger, but he also seems a bit on the stiff side to me and a very straight line athlete?

He can step out and shoot the 3, but I think I saw on DX's article that he shot like 30% from 3 and 60% from the line, and if he's going to be a real perimeter threat those numbers need to be better I'd say.

Then I wonder whether the rebounding/defense/interior scoring is there or not. Can't tell from the footage.

I just don't really know what to make of him at this stage.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1828 » by Marcus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:32 am

GimmeDat wrote:
Marcus wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:

I was pretty early to get on the bandwagon because (Aussie talent), but my reservations stem from the fact that I imagine the whole 'point-center' stuff is meaningless, untranslatable hype, he can kinda handle a touch but not against NBA level I think, don't think there's any OTD shooting there, and from the clips I've seen nothing outstanding on the passing front (I'm sure he can make good reads but I feel like outlier passing skill would be apparent even in highlights).

I agree he looks like a much better functional athlete than Thon, moves a bit better, I think can play above the rim better, bigger frame/stronger, but he also seems a bit on the stiff side to me and a very straight line athlete?

He can step out and shoot the 3, but I think I saw on DX's article that he shot like 30% from 3 and 60% from the line, and if he's going to be a real perimeter threat those numbers need to be better I'd say.

Then I wonder whether the rebounding/defense/interior scoring is there or not. Can't tell from the footage.

all of which makes the leap to the 20 class a better idea. In 21 i think he would be surrounded by wayyyy too much talent with less question marks and it would be easier for him to play his way out of conversation amongst the horde of talent in that 21 class. A kid like Isaiah Todd will need to be stellar in college to keep his name in the lotto convo in 21. Todd immediately becomes one of the better bigs in this class warts or no warts. Same is to be said for Makur.

All of your concerns are more than valid and i think they are legit questions but this class doesn't expose them as much as the one he's currently in. As a GM/scout i'd be more likely apt to take a chance on developing skills that are unique to him compared to his draft class 20 peers than I would if he stayed in 21 where there are kids that do a lot of various things better.
Watch More Basketball

GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1829 » by GimmeDat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:38 am

Marcus wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:
Marcus wrote:

all of which makes the leap to the 20 class a better idea. In 21 i think he would be surrounded by wayyyy too much talent with less question marks and it would be easier for him to play his way out of conversation amongst the horde of talent in that 21 class. A kid like Isaiah Todd will need to be stellar in college to keep his name in the lotto convo in 21. Todd immediately becomes one of the better bigs in this class warts or no warts. Same is to be said for Makur.

All of your concerns are more than valid and i think they are legit questions but this class doesn't expose them as much as the one he's currently in. As a GM/scout i'd be more likely apt to take a chance on developing skills that are unique to him compared to his draft class 20 peers than I would if he stayed in 21 where there are kids that do a lot of various things better.

That's a great point. It's definitely a good strike while the iron is hot opportunity. I feel like that's what happened with Thon going lottery without anyone seeing him in college as well. It's a good 'tactic', and I'm not sure it necessarily would've helped his long term outlook to spend a year in college anyway. Hard to see Makur slipping out of the lottery in this class given the lack of big talent.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,490

Post#1830 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 pm

clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Kuminga is a good athlete but I don't know if I see elite athlete yet

Not sure where you're coming from there. He can get to the top of the square pretty easily. Like this is basically off one step.

Read on Twitter

yea, again haven't seen much of him, but first go around I didn't see elite stop-and-go ability or the loose hips, but yea the verticality is for sure there, but that's not all what athleticism is about

need to see a lot more tho obviously have only been focusing on the '20 guys at this point

Good end to end speed for his size, pretty damn fluid as well. Id say the only thing not damn good or elite for him athletically is his first step, Id say its above average for a wing his size. He's not a generational athlete, but the dude is pretty elite though. Checks all the boxes athletically.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1831 » by clyde21 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Chet Holmgren now ranked as high as Kuminga...hmm...don't see it

i wonder how 247 gives Holmgren a 100 grade by gave Zion 96 :roll:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1832 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:41 pm

clyde21 wrote:Chet Holmgren now ranked as high as Kuminga...hmm...don't see it

i wonder how 247 gives Holmgren a 100 grade by gave Zion 96 :roll:

Chet is very overrated in my opinion. Everything that dude does looks like it's in slow motion and makes Brandon Ingram look like a bodybuilder.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#1833 » by nolang1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:10 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
nolang1 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Good end to end speed for his size, pretty damn fluid as well. Id say the only thing not damn good or elite for him athletically is his first step, Id say its above average for a wing his size. He's not a generational athlete, but the dude is pretty elite though. Checks all the boxes athletically.

Yep this would be the main point. Most of the wings you'd consider similarly athletic are 2-3 inches shorter. Jaylen Brown checked in at 6'5 officially, for example. Also the initial clip I posted wasn't about how high up he got as much as how easily he did it. Kuminga slowed down to match the offensive player, who was hoping he'd outrun the play, and was still able to instantly get off the ground to block the floater at its apex. You can find plenty of other examples where he's able to use an elite second jump to put back a miss or get up and jam on someone without needing much of a runway. He also plays through contact extremely well. Clearly not just a vertical athlete.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,914

Post#1834 » by tundraknight » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 am

So would this be the best starting 5 for the 2021 draft class if you had to select one player for each position?

C- Ibou Badji
PF - Evan Mobley
SF - Jonathan Kumimga
SG - Jalen Green
PG - Cade Cunningham
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1835 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:19 am

tundraknight wrote:So would this be the best starting 5 for the 2021 draft class if you had to select one player for each position?

C- Ibou Badji
PF - Evan Mobley
SF - Jonathan Kumimga
SG - Jalen Green
PG - Cade Cunningham

Think Mobley is a 5
I like Scottie Barnes long term as a 4
Don't know much about Kuminga so I'll stick with Jalen Johnson @ 3
Terrence Clarke 2
Cade 1
Watch More Basketball

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1836 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 am

tundraknight wrote:So would this be the best starting 5 for the 2021 draft class if you had to select one player for each position?

C- Ibou Badji
PF - Evan Mobley
SF - Jonathan Kumimga
SG - Jalen Green
PG - Cade Cunningham

I'd probably go

Mobley
Kuminga (if/when he reclassifies)
Jalen Johnson
Ziarie
Cade

I know I'm cheating putting Ziarie at the 2. But he can easily play the Cam Reddish role at the 2 with his shooting ability. Fantastic facilitating with Jalen and Cade. Elite size everywhere. The shooting outside of Ziarie is a struggle at the moment, but most high sxhoolers are inconsistent shooters at this stage.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1837 » by clyde21 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:59 am

still early

Mobley
Kuminga
Cade
Jalen G
Grimes

Garuba too if he's in the class

looks like a much better class than '20 tbh

sidebar....WAYYYYY too many Jalens lately...gotta find a new name people.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1838 » by No-Man » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:43 pm

Garuba is like way way better than Badji
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1839 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:04 pm

Fischella wrote:Garuba is like way way better than Badji

Currently, yes but there's a TON to work with in Badji IF you can maximize that potential.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1840 » by Marcus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:06 pm

BTW. love how the depth of the wings in that 21 class allow for so many different opinions on who fits where.
Watch More Basketball

Return to NBA Draft