Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: Future draft classes 

Post#21 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 pm

Marcus wrote:
ManualRam wrote:so i got e-mailed some footage of dennis smith from adidas gauntlet... and um, wow.
i might get into more detail later, but initial impression is really, really good, like in the mix for top 5 in his class good.

he's much better than seventh woods is right now, who played in another event this past w/e and supposedly looked passive and mediocre overall despite his athleticism. that's kinda how i described him after seeing him last summer for team usa. i think he's trying too hard to be a "pure pg."

Yeah the youtube clips of Smith's high school team versus Woods' is what drew me in. He obviously had a better squad around him but i didn't see much of anything else that would make Woods the better prospect outside of unworldly gifts. Smith looked like the better ball player and im guessing that still remains the case.

I was thinking about the influx of talented bigmen the league SHOULD be seeing in the near future and how the wing play should also gain some depth with the upcoming classes over the next few years. Which led me to think that the deepest position in the league right now (the PG) might be in for a drought as far as superstar talent. This year's class isn't very deep and it would appear that Mudiay might the only one on the horizon within the next few years with the ability to reach that status. What say you?

as far as superstar talent, you're right. there aren't that many PGs coming up with that type of potential. i try not to limit my discussions about prospects to superstar potential because i have a very strict definition of superstar and because they are so rare. to me a superstar is a player who can single-handedly change the fortunes of a franchise. there are some players in the league, past and present, who have been labeled as superstars, but i wouldn't. i think achieving superstar status at the PG position is even more difficult to achieve than other positions because of the responsibilities of the position and because of the size of the players. i tend to agree with barkley when he says that on a championship contending team, the most dominant player on the team shouldn't be the PG. it's too difficult of a task to manage the responsibilities of a PG, being physically dominant at that size and carrying the scoring load. we've seen this in recent yrs in the playoffs to good effect, but opposing teams can and do go bigger on really good scoring PGs, lowering their effectiveness as scorers.

while there aren't many PGs coming up with superstar talent, i believe there are a few with all-star type potential. i already mentioned rysheed jordan, who i think is being slept on for the 2015 draft. the strength of the near-term PG classes will depend on the direction that the combo guards go. there seem to be a lot of combos or shorter SGs who might have the potential to be full-time PGs. malik newman is a scoring dynamo who has hinted at eventually making the transition to the point. same story for tyler dorsey who's widely considered top 10 in 2015 as well (i'm not as high on him as an nba prospect though). isaiah briscoe's another prolific scoring combo. i'd put him in the same boat. they're all really good scorers who mostly play on the ball. with the proliferation of scoring PGs, isn't that all that matters to be considered a PG these days? well, that and being able to defend the opposing PG. when looking at the current upcoming guard crop with that view, the depth of the position doesn't look so bad.

one 2015 PG that i like who doesn't fit the aforementioned mold is justin simon out of cali. he's got dimensions similar to exum, 6'5 with super long arms, very good defender, not as fast but plays with better pace and i think is the better playmaker at the same stage.
2016, i like derryck thornton a lot, but i already mentioned him.
there's also lonzo ball who's already committed to ucla. i need to see more of him in game action, but he's another super long point with a funky game. deep range and plays with a lot of flair, but looks like he's too loosey-goosey for my taste.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#22 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:24 pm

bigboi wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Marcus wrote:
2017 being considered a freak class

Where would you rank these players amongst each other and their long term outlook

Seventh Woods
Jayson Tatum
VJ King
Dennis Smith Jr.
Thon Maker
Josh Jackson

so i got e-mailed some footage of dennis smith from adidas gauntlet... and um, wow.
i might get into more detail later, but initial impression is really, really good, like in the mix for top 5 in his class good.

he's much better than seventh woods is right now, who played in another event this past w/e and supposedly looked passive and mediocre overall despite his athleticism. that's kinda how i described him after seeing him last summer for team usa. i think he's trying too hard to be a "pure pg."

I don't think Smith is much better than Woods. They basically look like the same player, but for some reason Smith reminds me of Josh Selby. Also if Malik Newman were in that class, where would you rank him

i think one is much more aggressive than the other and i think smith is more skilled than woods too. imo, smith looks shiftier off the bounce with the better handle and he's the more creative playmaker. both need to improve their shooting but i think smith is ahead of woods in that regard too.

maybe woods is attempting to do something that both guards will eventually need to do at some stage, which is trying to become more of a floor general instead of being an athletic, penetration-heavy, score first type PG, but woods currently isn't good at that. he looks like he's handcuffing himself and fighting his natural instincts.

there are some similarities b/t smith and selby, but i think smith is the better playmaker with better vision at the same stage. he doesn't just hunt his own offense. he gets 9-10 asts for his HS team which is a lot for a HS player and im pretty sure he led the adidas event in asts as well. even if the overwhelming majority of his assists come off of his own penetration or in transition, i think he does a much better job mixing up scoring and making plays for others.

as an nba prospect, newman is kinda tough to project. he's got all the scoring skills, his jumpshot is wet with deep range, but he's still a 6'3 SG. i guess i'd have him b/t 4-6 in 2016, same range as i'd have smith jr btw.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#23 » by No-Man » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Malik Newman got so many things in common with Monta Ellis, is crazy.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#24 » by ManualRam » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Fischella wrote:Malik Newman got so many things in common with Monta Ellis, is crazy.

they do, but newman's a much better jump shooter as a HS prospect.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#25 » by Marcus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:45 pm

ManualRam wrote:there's also lonzo ball who's already committed to ucla. i need to see more of him in game action, but he's another super long point with a funky game. deep range and plays with a lot of flair, but looks like he's too loosey-goosey for my taste.

yeah im in the same boat with you. was planning on catching him live this year but didn't get around to it. will definitely get a chance next season though im sure. from the clips i saw he does look a little "just out here to have fun" in his game, which i find concerning because how much of that is geared towards winning compared to being "the guy" in a pickup game.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#26 » by EricAnderson » Thu May 1, 2014 8:59 pm

Ive heard good things about Tyus Battle ive only seen him in clips has anyoen seen him?

Im also intrigued by Udoka Azubuike because he came out of nowhere and is now a top 10 player in the loaded 6'10 class i hear hes really raw but that his size length and ahletic ability are off the charts
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#27 » by reanimator » Fri May 2, 2014 12:39 am

If Malik Pope can return to form, man.....

Him + Theo Pinson, Kameron Chatman (now 6'8''), Shaquaan Aaron are easily my favorite wings in 2014 class. All 4 need to live in the weight-room, though.

Still not sure how Ben Simmons isn't #1 in his class.

EricAnderson, Tyus Battle, Cheick Diallo, Thomas Bryant, Kassoum Yakwe vs Montaque Gill Caesar and Jamal Murray http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/tea ... boy-348141
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#28 » by Marcus » Fri May 2, 2014 3:38 am

Ben Simmons is tops in this class. Only players remotely close are Ivan Rabb and maybe Malik Newman.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#29 » by ManualRam » Fri May 2, 2014 4:34 am

i still like rabb over simmons.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by Marcus » Fri May 2, 2014 6:25 am

ManualRam wrote:i still like rabb over simmons.

Kid's up to 220lbs kept the quicks and explosion. I'm ecstatic.

Sidenote derryck thornton looks to have put on some weight as well.
Watch More Basketball

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#31 » by ManualRam » Fri May 2, 2014 7:05 am

Marcus wrote:

rabb's developing a pretty sick repertoire offensively too. his jumper looks improved and he's even mixing in some one legged fades. he already has good footwork for someone his age and since he's completely ambidextrous, he has moves over either shoulder, both with jump hooks and turnaround jumpers. i like his defensive potential more too. he's long, quick and springy with good shot-blocking instincts. he's also comfortable going after shots with his left hand which is typical of good shot blockers.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by Marcus » Fri May 2, 2014 3:54 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Marcus wrote:

rabb's developing a pretty sick repertoire offensively too. his jumper looks improved and he's even mixing in some one legged fades. he already has good footwork for someone his age and since he's completely ambidextrous, he has moves over either shoulder, both with jump hooks and turnaround jumpers. i like his defensive potential more too. he's long, quick and springy with good shot-blocking instincts. he's also comfortable going after shots with his left hand which is typical of good shot blockers.

you just named all the thing i love about that kid while answering my next question in the process. I think its down to those 2 depending on what you love about a ball player. Rabb for me is gonna be a problem because of many of the things you mentioned. Especially for him being so young. The added weight was my only concern outside of his free throw shooting. he's gained the weight and looks like there will be more which is good. I think he's the next great 4 to hit the league and dare i say i like his footwork and post versatility more than even Okafor's. Plus I think his post passing is HIGHLY underrated.

With Simmons it's a bias that i've always held when it comes to the type of player that i enjoy watching. I love players with all around games. Always preferred Pippen over Jordan. Grant Hill, Penny, Oscar Robertson are some of my favorite players. I like do-it-all guys and Ben has that all-around game that appeals to me. My only problem with him and i mentioned this in another thread is his seemingly lack luster effort on D. But the more I watch of the kid the more i think its just the way his body moves because he's where he needs to be, the positioning isn't bad. The stance could be deeper but he gets to the spots before the offense and he rotates well. so i might just be nit-picking. But i love the passing, the rim running, the jumper, he doesn't force things, plays a heady all-around game. interested to see what he does at LSU as the focal point on that level.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by Marcus » Fri May 2, 2014 3:58 pm

recently saw some more Harry Giles too. Didn't know kiddo was that explosive.

Still love Josh Jackson more though. he looks to have gotten quicker and added some explosion as well. I just wonder how many coaches down the line are gonna tinker with that low release he has.

Jayson Tatum is still probably my favorite in that class right now though. He doesn't look like the leaper that the other 2 are though. Reports were that he looked pretty good out in Sacramento even though his team didn't play that well as a whole.
Watch More Basketball

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#34 » by Marcus » Fri May 2, 2014 8:27 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Marcus wrote:

been meaning to ask you. haven't noticed you post too much on him so i'll assume you aren't high on him but i'll ask anyway.

Your thoughts on Stephen Zimmerman?
Watch More Basketball

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#35 » by ManualRam » Sat May 3, 2014 1:42 am

Marcus wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Marcus wrote:

been meaning to ask you. haven't noticed you post too much on him so i'll assume you aren't high on him but i'll ask anyway.

Your thoughts on Stephen Zimmerman?

i like him. rabb has clearly surpassed him in his class though. i don't think he has superstar quality, but there is a lot to like about his game. he's 6'11-7' with mobility, agility, changes ends well. he's skilled with a high iq. great passer, good touch from mid-range while showing signs of extending his range. he obviously needs to get stronger, but because of his frame i don't think he's a future center. he looks like a future face up PF to me. besides strength, the only issue i have with him is that he doesn't look for his offense enough imo. he's a good passer but it looks like he's more content to wait for the double and pass then he is to look for his own shot. maybe he lacks confidence in his post game due to his lack of strength, but i don't think he looks to impose himself enough. he turns down some shots from mid as well.

i think in order for him to reach his potential, he'll have to gets stronger, more aggressive with his offense and become a knock down mid to long range shooter so he can play around the high post, ft line extended area a la bosh.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
EricAnderson
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,180

Post#36 » by EricAnderson » Sun May 4, 2014 4:20 pm

Who does Raabs game remind you of? Bosh maybe?

I also heard he was outplayed by freshmen Cody Riley a feww weeks ago the kid must be a beast
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by Marcus » Sun May 4, 2014 4:58 pm

EricAnderson wrote:Who does Raabs game remind you of? Bosh maybe?

I also heard he was outplayed by freshmen Cody Riley a feww weeks ago the kid must be a beast

Ivan doesn't have bosh's range right now and is more of a post player at this stage. With his post game right now I'd say offensively he's got more young KG than Bosh right now.

Haven't seen a ton of Riley but read some good things he's more tweener than a four though. Highlights of that game shows he brought Ivan out the paint and did his damage from the perimeter.
Watch More Basketball

ManualRam
RealGM

Post#38 » by ManualRam » Sun May 4, 2014 5:39 pm

cody riley's a manchild. he looks about 6'8 and around 230-235. strong kid with a soft touch. he didn't look like a tweener to me. he looked all power forward. kinda reminded me of derrick caracter when he that age. i've only seen him play in one game though vs lonzo ball's squad.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#39 » by ManualRam » Sun May 4, 2014 5:44 pm

rabb's got a really nice touch on his jumper. it's weird because he looks like a natural lefty but he shoots jumpers righty. i think he'll eventually become a knock down midrange shooter. he's already showing much improved touch from the line and flashing an ability to hit fades comfortably.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#40 » by No-Man » Sun May 4, 2014 6:10 pm

I don't think there is really an elite prospect from this class, there are a ton of good players, but star/superstar potential guys? next to none, Newman is the closest thing to that, and he is Monta Ellis pretty much.
Stone is abig guy with finesse but I don't know how good he will be in the defensive end, and Rabb seems to skinny, I don't know what Giles have other than athleticism, and he is a comboforward.

Return to NBA Draft