Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#101 » by Marcus » Mon May 5, 2014 7:37 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:If we're looking at teams (other than my Bucks) who Smart would be a good fit for, with Hardaway and him in the backcourt, the Knicks would have an excellent, young combo.

Considering that the Knicks don't even have a first round draft pick, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Smart doesn't land in NY.

not unless its a road game. *rimshot*
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
RapHippy
Rookie
And1: 267

Post#102 » by RapHippy » Mon May 5, 2014 8:34 pm

EricAnderson wrote:
RapHippy wrote:
Smart & Oladipo would be an AWESOME defensive back-court. I think that's enough for Henny to at least consider it a possibility. If we can come out the draft with 2 top 7 talents, I'd be ecstatic

That would be a dreadful outside shootign backourt though i dont think that would work

Oladipo's shooting is underrated, he shoots a healthy 32.7% from 3 pt, 78% from the FT line. His mid-range could use some work, sitting at 33.3% this year . However, this is also coming from a rookie season, so he's had to adjust his game to the speed & to a new team, with another year on the belt & some time to gel with the real core of the team (VO/Harris , Vuc & 2014 picks) he'll become more efficient from that range.

Also they would be an awesome slashing back-court w/ Harris out on the wing & vuc on the baseline, so they would have some options. Adding to that, Victor & Smart can both play well off ball, so the activity made by ball screens/movement should open up space for them to work inside anyways.

Shooting is a category that can drastically be developed in the league, look at Jason Kidd and to a lesser extent Demar Derozan. Smart's shot is inconsistent but his fundamentals are there.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#103 » by Marcus » Mon May 5, 2014 10:33 pm

RapHippy wrote:Shooting is a category that can drastically be developed in the league, look at Jason Kidd and to a lesser extent Demar Derozan. Smart's shot is inconsistent but his fundamentals are there.

actually that's whats inconsistent about his shot is the fundamentals. He doesn't exhibit the same fundamentally sound form when he takes his jumpers. its the mechanics of his shot that needs work.
Watch More Basketball

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#104 » by Johnlac1 » Mon May 5, 2014 11:06 pm

Marcus wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:If we're looking at teams (other than my Bucks) who Smart would be a good fit for, with Hardaway and him in the backcourt, the Knicks would have an excellent, young combo.

Considering that the Knicks don't even have a first round draft pick, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume Smart doesn't land in NY.

not unless its a road game. *rimshot*

Oops, oh well....just sort of postulating a good match for Smart. There' s always the possibility of a trade to acquire a first rounder.
MCDubbin
Junior
And1: 547

Post#105 » by MCDubbin » Wed May 7, 2014 7:03 pm

A Poor Man's Dwade without his explosiveness or athleticism is his ceiling imo.
poolshark52
Pro Prospect
And1: 472

Post#106 » by poolshark52 » Wed May 7, 2014 8:08 pm

I see him a bit like Lowry, only taller.
Nwaba daba doo!
NotaHypeJob
Sixth Man
And1: 2,219

Post#107 » by NotaHypeJob » Wed May 7, 2014 9:48 pm

A rich man's Rodney Stuckey with elite defense
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#108 » by MotownMadness » Thu May 8, 2014 5:29 am

I just hope he falls to the Pistons. Jennings gave up more guard penetration then any other PG in the league last year. Which constantly forced the rest of the lineup into help side collapsing the D from everywhere. Marcus Smart would instantly fix this problem.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#109 » by Catchall » Thu May 8, 2014 8:11 am

I actually think Oladipo is a fairly reasonable comp for Marcus Smart. Oladipo is a bit longer and more explosive, but they have quite a few similarities.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#110 » by Marcus » Mon May 12, 2014 5:16 pm

rewatching this Kansas/Oklahoma State from January and even with a pretty **** shooting night Marcus Smart played pretty well IMO. The shot needs work, but I think the selection hurt his percentages just as much. Selection could be contributed to his role on that team as "the guy" and though he could have chosen smarter shots (no pun intended) overall he played really well and you could see what is so intriguing about him as a prospect. The kid plays hard, plays with an edge, does a lot of things for you on the court so even if the shot isn't falling there's so much more he can give you. Don't think he'll necessarily be a building block or "the guy" on your franchise. But he's definitely a guy you would need/use to get a ring down the line.

sidenote: Embiid looked incredible in this game. outside of some little things that would need some tweeking. His balancing, he rushed a couple possesions, and his awareness when OK State applied some pressure made him look every bit like the kid that just started playing basketball that he is. Even with those things however there was so much to love about his game and see in the upside with this kid. Outside of the obvious with Embiid's game that there is to love, I think his ability to absorb so much of the game is his biggest strength. Kid rarely makes the same mistake twice. Once he saw those traps and fell victim to them, he slowed down took his time and made smarter choices.

Both looked like strong prospects in their own right and should be good to great Pros.
Watch More Basketball

Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#111 » by Golabki » Tue May 13, 2014 12:36 pm

MCDubbin wrote:A Poor Man's Dwade without his explosiveness or athleticism is his ceiling imo.
i don't think wade was considered an elite athlete until after he became an nba star... At the time of the draft I think he was criticized for being under-athletic

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#112 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu May 15, 2014 1:57 pm

I think people are forgetting his ability to initiate contact and get to the line. His tenacity alone puts him way above stuckey. Hes a top 6 prospect.. easily. I cant help but lol at the dude that said ennis will be the better player. Ennis will be in the d league by mid season.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#113 » by Jajwanda » Thu May 15, 2014 7:54 pm

There's a very good chance he ends up as a Laker. I'd say a really big Kyle Lowry.
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#114 » by frozt » Wed May 21, 2014 12:34 pm

I'm hoping he lands in LA as we'll, he solves are perimeter defense issue next to Kobe somewhat, fierce competitor that can be mentored. doesn't need to be "the man" and will compliment a future FA
Resident band wagon vigilante.
kobe808lak
Sixth Man
And1: 601

Post#115 » by kobe808lak » Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm

His shot and shot selection scare me. I love his tenacity though. Not sure about his play making ability and running a team.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#116 » by Johnlac1 » Thu May 22, 2014 1:48 am

Catchall wrote:I actually think Oladipo is a fairly reasonable comp for Marcus Smart. Oladipo is a bit longer and more explosive, but they have quite a few similarities.

Smart is definitely a better pg prospect than Oladipo. He simply has better instincts for that position vis a vis Oladipo. Oladipo was forced into the pg slot by necessity. However, Oladipo has a better jumper. Both have the athletic ability and strength to guard both pgs and sgs.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#117 » by Dukenukem23 » Thu May 22, 2014 6:36 am

As mentioned Kyle Lowry, only stronger and much longer. That's a hell of a player right there.
aaa
Junior
And1: 44

Post#118 » by aaa » Thu May 22, 2014 10:05 am

How many assists does Smart average if he starts at PG his rookie year?
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#119 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Thu May 22, 2014 3:20 pm

If Ron Artest and DWade had a baby u get M.Smart

JR : Next Gen
nicnac215
Sixth Man
And1: 536

Post#120 » by nicnac215 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:42 pm

aaa wrote:How many assists does Smart average if he starts at PG his rookie year?

Depends what team he is on, but I think somewhere around 6 assists per 36 minutes.

Return to NBA Draft