Marcus Smart comparisons

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 70,592
And1: 23,772
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#61 » by The_Hater » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:44 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:As a Bucks fan, I've had Smart in my sights all season long. Comparing him to current Buck pgs, he'd probably have been the best pg. Both Brandon Knight and Nate Wolters played a lot of point for the Bucks this season. Compared to Knight, Smart can't shoot as well and maybe not score as well. But he's got a better pg mentality. Knight is basically a shoot-first pg.


I hate to break it too you but Smart is a shoot-first PG too. And his overall decision making is iffy.

His biggest strength is his ability to get into the lane which is an important PG trait but it's generally with the intent of generating his own offense. I still think that ultimately he would be better utilized as a SG in the pros.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,183
And1: 1,501
Joined: Jan 21, 2012
 

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#62 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:20 am

The_Hater wrote:
Johnlac1 wrote:As a Bucks fan, I've had Smart in my sights all season long. Comparing him to current Buck pgs, he'd probably have been the best pg. Both Brandon Knight and Nate Wolters played a lot of point for the Bucks this season. Compared to Knight, Smart can't shoot as well and maybe not score as well. But he's got a better pg mentality. Knight is basically a shoot-first pg.


I hate to break it too you but Smart is a shoot-first PG too. And his overall decision making is iffy.

His biggest strength is his ability to get into the lane which is an important PG trait but it's generally with the intent of generating his own offense. I still think that ultimately he would be better utilized as a SG in the pros.

Gee, he must have had a look-alike out on the floor many of the games I saw Smart play. A look-alike who took only about twelve shots a game in an up-tempo offense and tried to set up his teammates. I could have sworn it was Smart though.
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 19,900
And1: 1,289
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#63 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:21 am

I haven't seen anyone mention the guy he reminds me of most - Deron WIlliams.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
User avatar
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
Posts: 7,601
And1: 1,615
Joined: Jan 11, 2008
   

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#64 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 am

I think he's a little like Dennis Johnson.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,361
And1: 2,742
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#65 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:38 am

Krapinsky wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention the guy he reminds me of most - Deron WIlliams.

probably because you're the only one who sees that comparison.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 19,900
And1: 1,289
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#66 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:42 am

ManualRam wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention the guy he reminds me of most - Deron WIlliams.

probably because you're the only one who sees that comparison.


Way to go. Keep it up with posts like that and you just might win the internet someday. You could be famous on youtube comments.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,183
And1: 1,501
Joined: Jan 21, 2012
 

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#67 » by Johnlac1 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:05 am

Rockmaninoff wrote:I think he's a little like Dennis Johnson.

A little smaller but quicker Johnson is a good comparison.
User avatar
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,964
And1: 3,567
Joined: Jan 04, 2012
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#68 » by MiltownHawkeye » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:57 pm

Krapinsky wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:I haven't seen anyone mention the guy he reminds me of most - Deron WIlliams.

probably because you're the only one who sees that comparison.


Way to go. Keep it up with posts like that and you just might win the internet someday. You could be famous on youtube comments.

Deron Williams had waaaaay better point guard skills at the same age. He was also a more than competent shooter from 3. The only similarities between them is that they're both big and play the PG position.
Ser Maxwell Fifteen Pointspergame

Twitter
User avatar
Krapinsky
RealGM
Posts: 19,900
And1: 1,289
Joined: May 13, 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#69 » by Krapinsky » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:
ManualRam wrote:probably because you're the only one who sees that comparison.


Way to go. Keep it up with posts like that and you just might win the internet someday. You could be famous on youtube comments.

Deron Williams had waaaaay better point guard skills at the same age. He was also a more than competent shooter from 3. The only similarities between them is that they're both big and play the PG position.


The fact that they're big and play the point guard position just touches the surface. The way they both use their bodies to over power defenders and get where they want to on the court is a big part of what makes each player successful. Other 'big' point guards don't play that way. They also both share similar intangible - both are vocal leaders that from day 1 could join a team and be the leader of the locker room. Is Williams a little bit more of a passer? Sure. Is Smart more of a scorer? Sure - though when he plays PG in the NBA those difference are going to even out a little bit.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,361
And1: 2,742
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#70 » by ManualRam » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:52 pm

deron's handle alone compared to smart's is enough to nullify that comparison. deron has one of the best handles ever for a point. he could get to anywhere he wanted on the floor with it. he could set up angles and create space for his shot with it. he had break down 1 on 1 ability without relying on bully ball because of it. deron wasn't just a big, strong PG who used his strength to get to wherever he needed to go. he had the deception, change of speed and direction which smart does not.

deron's also the better, more creative passer at the same stage, a higher IQ player and better shooter from both mid (his mid game destroys smart's) and deep. he also was never really good defensively, either as a solid man defender or an off-the-ball playmaker on that end, and as a prospect was not good at playing to contact and drawing fouls, which happen to be major strengths in smart's game.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Navy Che
Sophomore
Posts: 155
And1: 256
Joined: Jun 28, 2009
 

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#71 » by Navy Che » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:03 am

I always saw a bit of chauncey billups in smart's game
User avatar
ZUDAMAGIC
Veteran
Posts: 2,816
And1: 1,741
Joined: Jul 20, 2010
Location: TORONTO
       

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#72 » by ZUDAMAGIC » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:27 am

Top 3 player out of this class just watch next elite Combo guard..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Golabki
General Manager
Posts: 8,333
And1: 1,058
Joined: Jan 31, 2005

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#73 » by Golabki » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:13 pm

ManualRam wrote:deron's handle alone compared to smart's is enough to nullify that comparison. deron has one of the best handles ever for a point. he could get to anywhere he wanted on the floor with it. he could set up angles and create space for his shot with it. he had break down 1 on 1 ability without relying on bully ball because of it. deron wasn't just a big, strong PG who used his strength to get to wherever he needed to go. he had the deception, change of speed and direction which smart does not.

deron's also the better, more creative passer at the same stage, a higher IQ player and better shooter from both mid (his mid game destroys smart's) and deep. he also was never really good defensively, either as a solid man defender or an off-the-ball playmaker on that end, and as a prospect was not good at playing to contact and drawing fouls, which happen to be major strengths in smart's game.
manram, how bad do you think smart actually is?

Would you take him at 10? At 20? At 30?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
bbms
Analyst
Posts: 3,144
And1: 316
Joined: Dec 28, 2010
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#74 » by bbms » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:31 pm

More explosive reggie jackson.
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,361
And1: 2,742
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#75 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Golabki wrote:
ManualRam wrote:deron's handle alone compared to smart's is enough to nullify that comparison. deron has one of the best handles ever for a point. he could get to anywhere he wanted on the floor with it. he could set up angles and create space for his shot with it. he had break down 1 on 1 ability without relying on bully ball because of it. deron wasn't just a big, strong PG who used his strength to get to wherever he needed to go. he had the deception, change of speed and direction which smart does not.

deron's also the better, more creative passer at the same stage, a higher IQ player and better shooter from both mid (his mid game destroys smart's) and deep. he also was never really good defensively, either as a solid man defender or an off-the-ball playmaker on that end, and as a prospect was not good at playing to contact and drawing fouls, which happen to be major strengths in smart's game.
manram, how bad do you think smart actually is?

Would you take him at 10? At 20? At 30?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums


still a top 10 talent if used properly. i'd move him off the ball. use him as a utility player, energy guy and defensive stopper. i don't think he's a franchise changing PG though. i would not play him on the ball or expect #1 or #2 scoring option capability out of him.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
cedric76
RealGM
Posts: 12,303
And1: 2,141
Joined: May 28, 2005

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#76 » by cedric76 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:55 pm

He might not be a future all star but I have no doubt he 'll succeed in nba

Really hope he ends up in Orlando
????,DJ
Evan,Simms,Iwundu
AG,Ross,frazier,jackson
isaac,AG,Birch
Mo,Biz,birch
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 70,592
And1: 23,772
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#77 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:58 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Golabki wrote:manram, how bad do you think smart actually is?

Would you take him at 10? At 20? At 30?



still a top 10 talent if used properly. i'd move him off the ball. use him as a utility player, energy guy and defensive stopper. i don't think he's a franchise changing PG though. i would not play him on the ball or expect #1 or #2 scoring option capability out of him.


I think he lacks that PG gene too but he's so good at getting in the lane and drawing contact that if he ever improves his jumpshot to a decent level, say a Russell Westbrook level, you're suddenly looking at a extremely difficult to guard player when coupled with his strength, athleticism, handle and aggressiveness.

And I don't think his jumper is stuck at some MKG level where he basically has to learn to shoot from scratch, he just needs to improve his consistency and range and these are things that many poor shooters have improved with lots of time in the gym.

I was clearly not on the Marcus Smart bus 12 months ago but the more I look at him the more I see a really good NBA player.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,361
And1: 2,742
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#78 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:18 pm

The_Hater wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Golabki wrote:manram, how bad do you think smart actually is?

Would you take him at 10? At 20? At 30?



still a top 10 talent if used properly. i'd move him off the ball. use him as a utility player, energy guy and defensive stopper. i don't think he's a franchise changing PG though. i would not play him on the ball or expect #1 or #2 scoring option capability out of him.


I think he lacks that PG gene too but he's so good at getting in the lane and drawing contact that if he ever improves his jumpshot to a decent level, say a Russell Westbrook level, you're suddenly looking at a extremely difficult to guard player when coupled with his strength, athleticism, handle and aggressiveness.

And I don't think his jumper is stuck at some MKG level where he basically has to learn to shoot from scratch, he just needs to improve his consistency and range and these are things that many poor shooters have improved with lots of time in the gym.

I was clearly not on the Marcus Smart bus 12 months ago but the more I look at him the more I see a really good NBA player.


strength and aggressiveness? i'll give him that. handle and athleticism? i don't think either are strengths of his. he does not have a good handle for a point and he is not quick, shifty or explosive in the half court. with a head of steam, in 2ndary break situations where he can attack back-peddling defenses i think he'd be difficult to guard, but i don't see him being nearly as difficult to guard as a half court ball-handler.

he has a lot of work to do on his shot imo. he has some really bad technique issues. his shot setup leads to a lot of jackknife action. he has balance and touch issues too. often fading/leaning, shooting a very hard ball with over-rotation because he has an over-exaggerated follow through. it's like he's shooting for form over a good, soft release. you can tell a lot about how good a shooter really is by his misses and marcus has some REALLY bad misses.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 70,592
And1: 23,772
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#79 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:32 pm

ManualRam wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
still a top 10 talent if used properly. i'd move him off the ball. use him as a utility player, energy guy and defensive stopper. i don't think he's a franchise changing PG though. i would not play him on the ball or expect #1 or #2 scoring option capability out of him.


I think he lacks that PG gene too but he's so good at getting in the lane and drawing contact that if he ever improves his jumpshot to a decent level, say a Russell Westbrook level, you're suddenly looking at a extremely difficult to guard player when coupled with his strength, athleticism, handle and aggressiveness.

And I don't think his jumper is stuck at some MKG level where he basically has to learn to shoot from scratch, he just needs to improve his consistency and range and these are things that many poor shooters have improved with lots of time in the gym.

I was clearly not on the Marcus Smart bus 12 months ago but the more I look at him the more I see a really good NBA player.


strength and aggressiveness? i'll give him that. handle and athleticism? i don't think either are strengths of his. he does not have a good handle for a point and he is not quick, shifty or explosive in the half court. with a head of steam, in 2ndary break situations where he can attack back-peddling defenses i think he'd be difficult to guard, but i don't see him being nearly as difficult to guard as a half court ball-handler.

he has a lot of work to do on his shot imo. he has some really bad technique issues. his shot setup leads to a lot of jackknife action. he has balance and touch issues too. often fading/leaning, shooting a very hard ball with over-rotation because he has an over-exaggerated follow through. it's like he's shooting for form over a good, soft release. you can tell a lot about how good a shooter really is by his misses and marcus has some REALLY bad misses.


I think if he's playing SG, where I project him (and you did as well) he brings a strong handle to the table.And while not an elite athlete I still think he's a plus athlete. I would argue that you don't get into the lane at will without some degree of athleticism + handle so we'll have to disagree on that. Plus I didn't mention it before but his instincts are off the charts, he's got a nose for the ball that you can't teach.

No argument about his shot. He's neither a finished product nor a can't miss star but I'd sooner bet on a college prospect that needs to fix their jumpshot then one that needs to improve their defense or learn to draw contact in the lane. Many skills aren't fixable but shooting is.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 8,719
And1: 3,614
Joined: Mar 03, 2014

Re: Marcus Smart comparisons 

Post#80 » by Marcus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:40 pm

as long as Marcus plays within himself and doesn't try to do too much, understands his strenghts and limitations we could be looking at a very good NBA player. Kid has a lot of pluses to his game. He just needs to take the cape off and understand what he can and can't do and play to that.

i don't see him living up to any lofty expectations that might have been placed on him. He's not a guy you build a team around. He's not a guy you make your main focal point. He just won't be that kind of player at the next level. BUT with the skillset he does have you can plug him into a useful to important role on just about any team, keep him to that, and yield good results.
Watch More Basketball

dorkestra wrote:For those that signed in, can RealGM replace our title of "Assistant Coach" or "Ballboy" to "Process Survivor"?


Best post ever

Return to NBA Draft