whats mitch mcgary ceiling?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Ruzious

avon barksdale
Banned User
Posts: 1,455
And1: 70
Joined: Nov 06, 2012

whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#1 » by avon barksdale » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:26 pm

What level of prospect do u see him it seems like he's a Jared willinger type solid backup pf who'll struggle to defend at the pro level
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,361
And1: 2,742
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#2 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 pm

varejao.
defensively he's very physical in the post and has good feet moving in space as well. length vs C's could be an issue though, but mcgary's strong and physical so im sure he'll do his best to root post players out of their sweet spots, forcing them into tougher shots from further away. he's not a shot-blocker but i think he'll be a charge taker.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
jmnvcavs
Rookie
Posts: 1,076
And1: 859
Joined: Nov 01, 2013
     

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#3 » by jmnvcavs » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:23 pm

McGary is nothing like Sullinger and he is a physical defender.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,274
And1: 5,403
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:42 pm

I like the comp to Sideshow V, and I'd say somewhere between Varejao and Nene. He's got more feel for the offensive end than Varejao, but he's not as skilled as Nene. It appears that he's just as injury-prone as they've been.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
ManualRam
RealGM
Posts: 23,361
And1: 2,742
Joined: Jun 25, 2004
     

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#5 » by ManualRam » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:I like the comp to Sideshow V, and I'd say somewhere between Varejao and Nene. He's got more feel for the offensive end than Varejao, but he's not as skilled as Nene. It appears that he's just as injury-prone as they've been.

varejao has a really good feel for the game though. it just took him a while to develop mid-range J. he could always handle and pass well for a big stemming from growing up as a PG. he's always been well-versed in the PnR game as well.

i could see mcgary playing a similar role. tons of screens, crashing the o-glass, lots of pnr and being used as a high post passing hub.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Shock Defeat
Head Coach
Posts: 6,646
And1: 10,869
Joined: Aug 30, 2012
       

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#6 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:18 pm

pretty high
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,364
And1: 1,469
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#7 » by mattg » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I like the comp to Sideshow V, and I'd say somewhere between Varejao and Nene. He's got more feel for the offensive end than Varejao, but he's not as skilled as Nene. It appears that he's just as injury-prone as they've been.

varejao has a really good feel for the game though. it just took him a while to develop mid-range J. he could always handle and pass well for a big stemming from growing up as a PG. he's always been well-versed in the PnR game as well.

i could see mcgary playing a similar role. tons of screens, crashing the o-glass, lots of pnr and being used as a high post passing hub.

that's what I see as well. Varejao was always the Cavs second most important player during the lebron years because he did so much defensively and did all the little things offensively that lead to winning basketball. Setting good hard screens, hustling for putbacks, moving the ball smartly, etc. In a similar vein to what Noah provides the Bulls.

McGary could do all those types of things since he plays so damn hard and is a cerebral player who doesn't step out of who he is. The question will always be his health however.
User avatar
Laimbeer
RealGM
Posts: 31,015
And1: 8,614
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: Cabin Creek

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:39 pm

Better than Varejao. He's bigger, has more offensive skills, and is a better rebounder.
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,364
And1: 1,469
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#9 » by mattg » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:49 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Better than Varejao. He's bigger, has more offensive skills, and is a better rebounder.

Varejao was a pretty damn good rebounder, especially when healthy. Not quite elite, but very good. I can see the argument for McGary being more skilled, but like ManRam said the big differenec is Varejao just didn't have a reliable midrange J early in his career. In terms of everything else he was pretty skilled. You weren't ever going to dump it down to him in the low post and tell him to go to work, but I don't see that being McGary's game at all either. He's going to score off putbacks/hustle, dumpoffs, running the floor, hard dives, and the a few mid range Js from the high post/FT line area.
SBM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,318
And1: 236
Joined: Nov 16, 2013
     

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#10 » by SBM » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm

David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,341
And1: 1,068
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 pm

mattg wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:Better than Varejao. He's bigger, has more offensive skills, and is a better rebounder.

Varejao was a pretty damn good rebounder, especially when healthy. Not quite elite, but very good. I can see the argument for McGary being more skilled, but like ManRam said the big differenec is Varejao just didn't have a reliable midrange J early in his career. In terms of everything else he was pretty skilled. You weren't ever going to dump it down to him in the low post and tell him to go to work, but I don't see that being McGary's game at all either. He's going to score off putbacks/hustle, dumpoffs, running the floor, hard dives, and the a few mid range Js from the high post/FT line area.


When he was playing for real in the beginning of last season, he was averaging 14 and 10. People were thinking he was going to be an All-Star. Then he had that heart thing that took him out for the rest of the year. And this year, he never really got into the groove. I think on the right team, if he manages to stay healthy, he could potentially be a fringe all-star again. Or I might just have a lot of hope in me.
doordoor123
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,341
And1: 1,068
Joined: Jul 23, 2013

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#12 » by doordoor123 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:54 pm

SBM wrote:David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.


Why? If he went to your team, he'd be behind Millsap, Horford, Antic and possibly other bigs. He'd be at the end of the bench. I would hate your team if you picked him up.
User avatar
Dr Positivity
RealGM
Posts: 45,969
And1: 10,470
Joined: Apr 29, 2009
       

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#13 » by Dr Positivity » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:15 pm

I agree his feel for the game is very good but the rest of his talents seems mediocre at best. A pick in the mid late teens on him is defendable considering McGary is a guy you know is going to play, the question is how much
1. Using a team's play in games their star is injured should send you to SSS jail
2. ORTG/DRTG ranks are connected in back and forth play and energy expenditure
3. RAPM/RPM is proven measuring regular season value, but not postseason
Fischella
RealGM
Posts: 13,482
And1: 2,972
Joined: Feb 11, 2012

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#14 » by Fischella » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:58 pm

6'10 David Lee that is aggresive on the defensive end.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,465
And1: 2,323
Joined: Apr 01, 2013
 

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#15 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:59 am

I think he's a fourth big off the bench. Bring him in to soak up some fouls, play some physical defense near the basket. That's about it.

If ANY team honestly believed he would be a "better Verajao", he wouldn't be projected as a second round pick.
Notanoob
Analyst
Posts: 3,392
And1: 1,161
Joined: Jun 07, 2013

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#16 » by Notanoob » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:12 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:I think he's a fourth big off the bench. Bring him in to soak up some fouls, play some physical defense near the basket. That's about it.

If ANY team honestly believed he would be a "better Verajao", he wouldn't be projected as a second round pick.
The reason that he's projected to go in the second round is because we saw so little of him, he hurt his back, and he's like 23. It's hard to be sure if he's really as good as he looked in the NCAA tournament since he played so little.
jmnvcavs
Rookie
Posts: 1,076
And1: 859
Joined: Nov 01, 2013
     

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#17 » by jmnvcavs » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:44 am

He plays more like Noah then Varejo/David Lee/Sully

Good passer for a big guy, physical/hustle guy, and can even handle it a little bit.
User avatar
DaddyCool19
Analyst
Posts: 3,452
And1: 3,535
Joined: Jul 28, 2013

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#18 » by DaddyCool19 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 am

A shorter better passing Robin Lopez?
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,465
And1: 2,323
Joined: Apr 01, 2013
 

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#19 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 pm

Notanoob wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:I think he's a fourth big off the bench. Bring him in to soak up some fouls, play some physical defense near the basket. That's about it.

If ANY team honestly believed he would be a "better Verajao", he wouldn't be projected as a second round pick.
The reason that he's projected to go in the second round is because we saw so little of him, he hurt his back, and he's like 23. It's hard to be sure if he's really as good as he looked in the NCAA tournament since he played so little.

There's value in that statement. But, I just don't think McGary is all that good. He looked solid in that U of M run, but he was also playing against one of the weakest college classes we've ever seen.
User avatar
Laimbeer
RealGM
Posts: 31,015
And1: 8,614
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: Cabin Creek

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:29 pm

SBM wrote:David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.


I really like the Lee comparison. Big hustle guy with scoring ability. I think Mitch may be a bit more skilled overall, but you have the right idea.

Return to NBA Draft