Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: whats mitch mcgary ceiling? 

Post#41 » by The_Hater » Sat May 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
SBM wrote:David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.

I really like the Lee comparison. Big hustle guy with scoring ability. I think Mitch may be a bit more skilled overall, but you have the right idea.

You think McGary, a 8 ppg scorer in college projected to go in the late 1st round is more skilled then an efficent 20/10 NBA guy who was named to the all-NBA team just last season?

Obviously you're a Michigan fan but I'll still do something foolish here and ask you to explain you opinion.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#42 » by reanimator » Sat May 10, 2014 3:54 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
SBM wrote:David Lee, he will be able to play both PF and C and he has a good pick and roll game plus good at rebounding. Maybe even Al Horford. I think he can be the steal of the draft and hope my Hawks pick him.

I really like the Lee comparison. Big hustle guy with scoring ability. I think Mitch may be a bit more skilled overall, but you have the right idea.

You think McGary, a 8 ppg scorer in college projected to go in the late 1st round is more skilled then an efficent 20/10 NBA guy who was named to the all-NBA team just last season?

Obviously you're a Michigan fan but I'll still do something foolish here and ask you to explain you opinion.

David Lee was a career 11 ppg scorer at UF
The_Hater

Post#43 » by The_Hater » Sat May 10, 2014 4:03 pm

reanimator wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:

What's your point? Because Lee bucked the odds and became a big NBA scorer after not being one in college every 8 ppg scorer has his potential or in this case, better?

Either way, it still doesn't answer my question.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
reanimator
Analyst

Post#44 » by reanimator » Sat May 10, 2014 4:13 pm

The_Hater wrote:
reanimator wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

What's your point? Because Lee bucked the odds and became a big NBA scorer after not being one in college every 8 ppg scorer has his potential or in this case, better?

No, you implied ppg correlates with skillset and used an outlier that went against what you were saying. At the very least, it is ironic.
The_Hater

Post#45 » by The_Hater » Sat May 10, 2014 4:27 pm

reanimator wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
reanimator wrote:

No, you implied ppg correlates with skillset and used an outlier that went against what you were saying. At the very least, it is ironic.

What's ironic is that I asked the original poster specifically why he thinks McGary has a better skillset than Lee and you answered that question by focusing in on my ppg comment. We could probably go back an forth like this all day couldn't we?

As it is, yes, I did find it odd that the poster thinks somebody who doesn't score in college has a better skill set than a player who is one of the better scorers in the NBA because he said it like he was talking about his current skill set, not his potential skill set. And as I write that I actually like McGary better than most.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#46 » by tmorgan » Sat May 10, 2014 5:45 pm

McGary and Lee aren't enough alike in any way except hustle to make the comparison valid.

Young Lee was a much more explosive leaper in a much thinner frame. McGary is a solid athlete, but he plays through people not over or around them like Lee did and still sometimes does.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#47 » by Old Man Game » Sun May 11, 2014 2:55 am

greenandgold wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
greenandgold wrote:My argument is that if he's Nick Collison 2.0, then McGary should be a top 10 pick. It's hard to find great role players and flat out winners.

McGary's a better rebounder for his age but Collison averaged 12.4 rebounds per 40 his last two years in college. That's excellent.

You make valid points, but the problem with McGary is his health. If he had stayed healthy during his college career, I think he likely would have been top 10 material.

Health and the marijuana smoke are big concerns. Unfortunately the failed drug test probably takes him off the first round draft boards of a few teams. Can't see Sam Presti using either first round pick on him because of the blunts.

I agree. Neither he nor Hairston will be seriously considered by Presti. The Thunder organization is very big on trying it's best to maintain a squeaky clean image.
bucknut
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#48 » by bucknut » Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 am

McGary is going to be better than Nick Collison or Birdman

He's basically a role player at the 4 but a top shelf role player

Brings a combination of size, rebounding, and agility not seen........look at all the pick n slip passes to bigs and the mobility required in todays NBA

think of the way the Heat uses Birdman. Now think of McGary how good he would be in that role, plus a wider body, better rebounder, and a guy with a better offensive game an ability to improve and hit mid range jumpers.

MGary is and UP and DOWN the court type of player......he can lead the fast break great ballhandling.........he's an interchangeable piece in that he is like a guard on the floor but he can rebound

He is not a 4 that in any way will restrict your offense like a birdman or collison

He will open the floor make you more versatile as a team in a day and age where mobility is required at the 4

Put him in the lineup and it's like 5 on 5 at the park you will score points and have a free flowing offense
bucknut
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#49 » by bucknut » Mon May 12, 2014 6:35 am

he's also a better ballhandler, more fluid in the hips, just better agility to guard defensively /run offensively and better rebounder than david lee

lee is a better shooter though more developed post moves but mgary has high potential in that regard
greg4012
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,800

Post#50 » by greg4012 » Tue May 13, 2014 3:20 pm

bucknut wrote:McGary is going to be better than Nick Collison or Birdman

He's basically a role player at the 4 but a top shelf role player

Brings a combination of size, rebounding, and agility not seen........look at all the pick n slip passes to bigs and the mobility required in todays NBA

think of the way the Heat uses Birdman. Now think of McGary how good he would be in that role, plus a wider body, better rebounder, and a guy with a better offensive game an ability to improve and hit mid range jumpers.

MGary is and UP and DOWN the court type of player......he can lead the fast break great ballhandling.........he's an interchangeable piece in that he is like a guard on the floor but he can rebound

He is not a 4 that in any way will restrict your offense like a birdman or collison

He will open the floor make you more versatile as a team in a day and age where mobility is required at the 4

Put him in the lineup and it's like 5 on 5 at the park you will score points and have a free flowing offense

Interesting that you mentioned birdman, because while they are not identical types of players, I am really intrigued by the possibility of the Heat drafting McGary to have him play in a similar role to birdman.

He wouldn't do as well in terms of rim protection, but would be great in keeping the offense flowing, finding the creases to attack for inlet passes, and playing PnR on both sides. His hustle plays and rebounding would also be huge.

He is not a traditional PF or C, but because of that I think he can compliment Bosh quite well
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#51 » by ManualRam » Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 pm

if the heat got mcgary that would make me sick to my stomach.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Tue May 13, 2014 8:44 pm

ManualRam wrote:if the heat got mcgary that would make me sick to my stomach.

Imagine he and Oden both contributing well with their big 3 and various assorted 3 point shooters. Pencil in several more NBA Championship MVP's for Lebron.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#53 » by ManualRam » Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ManualRam wrote:if the heat got mcgary that would make me sick to my stomach.

Imagine he and Oden both contributing well with their big 3 and various assorted 3 point shooters. Pencil in several more NBA Championship MVP's for Lebron.

eh, oden's done imo, but they wouldn't have to rely on bosh being the inside physical presence battling in the post on defense and on the glass on both ends. mcgary moves his feet well in space too so he would fit into their scrambling defensive schemes.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#54 » by Marcus » Tue May 13, 2014 9:40 pm

ManualRam wrote:eh, oden's done imo, but they wouldn't have to rely on bosh being the inside physical presence battling in the post on defense and on the glass on both ends. mcgary moves his feet well in space too so he would fit into their scrambling defensive schemes.

easily replace Haslem in that function
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#55 » by will » Tue May 13, 2014 9:52 pm

BBall Loyalty wrote:pretty high

I see what you did, my dude :lol:
SBM
Bench Warmer
And1: 236

Post#56 » by SBM » Wed May 14, 2014 3:07 am

McGary will not participate in drills . Wonder if he gets measured? Either way he might be continuing to hurt himself. Hopefully he falls to 43.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#57 » by peachbucket » Wed May 14, 2014 3:16 am

will wrote:
BBall Loyalty wrote:pretty high

I see what you did, my dude :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap:
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,669

Post#58 » by SelfishPlayer » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:01 am

I was surprised to see that he is 22 years of age. You combine that with his back problems and I think that he has about zero chance of getting drafted in the 1st round.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#59 » by Old Man Game » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:13 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:I was surprised to see that he is 22 years of age. You combine that with his back problems and I think that he has about zero chance of getting drafted in the 1st round.

Yeah, he's old relative to how little experience he has against D1 college competition. He only appeared in 47 games over the course of 2 seasons and he's 22.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... ary-1.html
reanimator
Analyst

Post#60 » by reanimator » Sun Feb 8, 2015 8:30 pm

If he stays healthy, he will be one of the steals of this draft.

Return to NBA Draft