Moderators: Duke4life831, Marcus

Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Re: Elfrid Payton 

Post#21 » by Marcus » Tue Jun 3, 2014 1:43 am

Talent Chaser wrote:
Golabki wrote:Seems like a good high risk high reward prospect in the late first or second round.

Clearly behind smart exum and ennis

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Maybe not clearly behind Smart?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/473621433722359808[/tweet]

Not extremely surprised. Don't really consider Smart a PG anyway.
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#22 » by ManualRam » Tue Jun 3, 2014 2:04 am

Talent Chaser wrote:
Golabki wrote:Seems like a good high risk high reward prospect in the late first or second round.

Clearly behind smart exum and ennis

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Maybe not clearly behind Smart?
[tweet]https://twitter.com/goodmanespn/status/473621433722359808[/tweet]

wouldn't surprise me. if it was a competitive workout as opposed to a side-by-side workout i could see his quickness giving smart trouble. i could see any player with great quickness giving smart trouble.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#23 » by Dukenukem23 » Tue Jun 3, 2014 3:40 am

He's a rondo without the elite passing ability. How good can that be? A liability on offence and a beast on defense. He should be a decent role player but take him too early and he's going to be a bust.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#24 » by Talent Chaser » Wed Jun 4, 2014 3:53 pm

This kid is going to be a very good player, I don't see any logical reason to take Smart in from of him. EP has better physical tools, is more athletic, is a better perimeter defender, and has legitament vision for a point guard.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/franfraschilla/status/474215512826601473[/tweet]
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,563

Post#25 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Jun 4, 2014 7:33 pm

Disagree with better physical tools, Smart has like 40 pounds on him.
Talent Chaser
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#26 » by Talent Chaser » Wed Jun 4, 2014 7:56 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:Disagree with better physical tools, Smart has like 40 pounds on him.

That's doesn't mean much, Payton has a 6'6" Wingspan, is quicker laterally, and has a better 1st step.
jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Post#27 » by jmnvcavs » Wed Jun 4, 2014 10:28 pm

Elfrid Payton - Jeff Teague
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,288

Post#28 » by Chuck Everett » Thu Jun 5, 2014 3:42 am

Payton looked like an NBA level jumpshot from being an all-star to me. His handles are star worthy and he can get to the tin.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
SCourGe OF GoD
Assistant Coach
And1: 51

Post#29 » by SCourGe OF GoD » Fri Jun 6, 2014 1:55 am

Shroeder/Beverly type

JR : Next Gen
frozt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,282

Post#30 » by frozt » Fri Jun 6, 2014 2:04 pm

Miami should try and nab him
Resident band wagon vigilante.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,227

Post#31 » by doordoor123 » Fri Jun 6, 2014 2:59 pm

I heard a comparison to Gary Payton a while ago. I think that might be a better comparison than Rondo.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,713

Post#32 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri Jun 6, 2014 3:21 pm

Gary Payton is a Hall of Famer and was the #2 overall pick in his draft class. Comparing Elfrid Payton to him is ridiculous. That comparison must have been influenced by the fact that they share the same last name. Right now Alfrid reminds me of guys like Smush Parker and Speedy Claxton. Great athlete scoring PGs with no jump shot that attended low level universities and are hyped during the draft process.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
reanimator
Analyst
And1: 1,448

Post#33 » by reanimator » Fri Jun 6, 2014 4:06 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:Gary Payton is a Hall of Famer and was the #2 overall pick in his draft class. Comparing Elfrid Payton to him is ridiculous. That comparison must have been influenced by the fact that they share the same last name. Right now Alfrid reminds me of guys like Smush Parker and Speedy Claxton. Great athlete scoring PGs with no jump shot that attended low level universities and are hyped during the draft process.

Spot on.
max23
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#34 » by max23 » Fri Jun 6, 2014 4:47 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:Payton looked like an NBA level jumpshot from being an all-star to me. His handles are star worthy and he can get to the tin.

Smart looked like an nba level jumpshot from being an all star.So do Ricky Rubio,Tyreke Evans,Michael Carter Williams etc...
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,155

Post#35 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 8, 2014 12:29 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:Gary Payton is a Hall of Famer and was the #2 overall pick in his draft class. Comparing Elfrid Payton to him is ridiculous. That comparison must have been influenced by the fact that they share the same last name. Right now Alfrid reminds me of guys like Smush Parker and Speedy Claxton. Great athlete scoring PGs with no jump shot that attended low level universities and are hyped during the draft process.

except Payton attacks the rim like Parker and Claxton never did. I agree he shouldnt be compared to Payton, but his ability to get to the rim, plus great defense and athleticism, to compare to Parker/Claxton is a disservice also
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#36 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 8, 2014 12:30 am

Dukenukem23 wrote:He's a rondo without the elite passing ability. How good can that be? A liability on offence and a beast on defense. He should be a decent role player but take him too early and he's going to be a bust.

how is he a liability on offense? not a 3pt threat now, but excellent at the basket. scores better than Rondo ever did.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,713

Post#37 » by SelfishPlayer » Sun Jun 8, 2014 12:57 am

tiderulz wrote:

except Payton attacks the rim like Parker and Claxton never did. I agree he shouldnt be compared to Payton, but his ability to get to the rim, plus great defense and athleticism, to compare to Parker/Claxton is a disservice also

I don't agree with you. You are making Elfrid Payton out to be some special prospect as if people haven't seen this same exact scenario in the past. I have seen more talented players like Jeff Teague receive less respect at this point in the draft process than Elfrid is receiving. That could be because this is a weaker draft for PG prospects than 2009, but it can't be overlooked that Elfrid Payton competed against low level competition and still didn't absolutely dominate. How can someone have great defense if they didn't compete against good competition? Why did he turn the ball over so much against weak competition?
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#38 » by tiderulz » Sun Jun 8, 2014 1:32 am

you mean like say, Lillard in the Big Sky?
Lillard - Soph 17 ppg, 3.3 apg, 1.4 spg
Lillard - Jun 24 ppg, 4 apg, 1.5 spg

Payton - Soph 16 ppg, 5.5 apg, 2.4 spg
Payton - Jun 10 ppg, 5.9 apg, 2.3 spg

i didnt fight the Teague comparison (though he didnt play better than Payton stat wise), and agree that he wasnt Gary Payton. I just disagreed with your comparison to Claxton and Parker. Also wasnt saying Payton should be a top-10 pick. Just saying that i like him as a prospect. They do play pretty good basketball in other conferences.
Dukenukem23
Banned User
And1: 1,971

Post#39 » by Dukenukem23 » Sun Jun 8, 2014 7:31 am

tiderulz wrote:
Dukenukem23 wrote:He's a rondo without the elite passing ability. How good can that be? A liability on offence and a beast on defense. He should be a decent role player but take him too early and he's going to be a bust.

how is he a liability on offense? not a 3pt threat now, but excellent at the basket. scores better than Rondo ever did.

Any player without any sort of jumpshot is a liability and his passing is not good enough to makeup for it like Rondos is.
GREENE1148
Sophomore
And1: 111

Post#40 » by GREENE1148 » Sun Jun 8, 2014 10:55 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

I don't agree with you. You are making Elfrid Payton out to be some special prospect as if people haven't seen this same exact scenario in the past. I have seen more talented players like Jeff Teague receive less respect at this point in the draft process than Elfrid is receiving. That could be because this is a weaker draft for PG prospects than 2009, but it can't be overlooked that Elfrid Payton competed against low level competition and still didn't absolutely dominate. How can someone have great defense if they didn't compete against good competition? Why did he turn the ball over so much against weak competition?

He played with the USA u/19 team and received rave reviews on his defense from their camp/tournament, I'd say the competition there was pretty damn good. People seem to be forgetting how young Payton is, he only just turned 20, despite being a junior... As for not dominating the weak conference? Fairly sure he was the first college player to have 600pts 200rebs and 200asts in a season since Penny Hardaway, if that's not dominant enough, I'm not sure what would be.

Return to NBA Draft