Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: Jusuf Nurkic 

Post#21 » by Skin » Tue May 20, 2014 9:04 pm

MiltownHawkeye wrote:
Skin wrote:Looks slow and unathletic. Big size, but not muscular in bulk and strength. Size is always a valued commodity in the NBA, but I don't think he's going to be really special. Good NBA player like Pek and Asik, possibly.

Pekovic and Asik would be very good picks at #9.

I think he will go between 7 and 14 and provide good enough value there.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#22 » by Apollo64 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:50 am

Ruzious wrote:
Apollo64 wrote:Except he's nothing like Cousins, so...

He's got the same problems that I just mentioned. Do you disagree with that?

1) Regarding his vert: he is a very big 280lbs dude. He is not supposed to get up there with his body type, but he is not a below the rim player by any stretch.
2) I'd say that his defense is pretty good as he is very quick for his size and aware. The fouls come from him trying to do too much, but that also comes with very high rebounds/steals/blocks percentages.
3) He is not as polished as a scorer like Pekovic or let alone Cousins. I'd say his offensive game is average, has some functional post moves.

His value comes from his hustle and physical dominance. He is someone that knows that he is the biggest baddest dude on court (at least in the ABA) and plays like it. He goes after the ball very aggressively, wins the 50/50s for his team, he just has a major effect in the game. Remains to be seen how this will work in the NBA, probably he'll be some high energy 20-mins sub and the foul problems will remain. I can tell you that he'll be far better than Steven Adams. Oh, and where the hell did that Cousins comparison as a building block come up from, we're talking about a player that will get picked at the 9-15 range.
nhasko
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#23 » by nhasko » Tue May 27, 2014 1:50 pm

Jusuf started to play basketball before three years! ;)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Tue May 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Apollo64 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Apollo64 wrote:Except he's nothing like Cousins, so...

He's got the same problems that I just mentioned. Do you disagree with that?

1) Regarding his vert: he is a very big 280lbs dude. He is not supposed to get up there with his body type, but he is not a below the rim player by any stretch.
2) I'd say that his defense is pretty good as he is very quick for his size and aware. The fouls come from him trying to do too much, but that also comes with very high rebounds/steals/blocks percentages.
3) He is not as polished as a scorer like Pekovic or let alone Cousins. I'd say his offensive game is average, has some functional post moves.

His value comes from his hustle and physical dominance. He is someone that knows that he is the biggest baddest dude on court (at least in the ABA) and plays like it. He goes after the ball very aggressively, wins the 50/50s for his team, he just has a major effect in the game. Remains to be seen how this will work in the NBA, probably he'll be some high energy 20-mins sub and the foul problems will remain. I can tell you that he'll be far better than Steven Adams. Oh, and where the hell did that Cousins comparison as a building block come up from, we're talking about a player that will get picked at the 9-15 range.

What's with the "where the hell" comment? We're just basketball fans here. That's a little too much passion.

Until recently, he was routinely listed as a top 10 pick. As he's getting more scrutiny, he's likely slipping - which I think makes a lot of sense. Just going by your description of his game, he probably shouldn't be a top 15 pick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#25 » by BadWolf » Tue May 27, 2014 5:29 pm

Much better then Adams yet a 20 minute sub? I think Adams will start for a contender next year and he plays 30 mpg in wcf. So if he's far better then Adams he should be much more then a third big.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#26 » by Yuri Vaultin » Tue May 27, 2014 6:12 pm

Reminds me of Rasho.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
zjl3
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#27 » by zjl3 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:35 pm

I like him. He is very young, so it's possible he will be stashed in Europe for a few years. I can't see him going past #25.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#28 » by Apollo64 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:06 pm

BadWolf wrote:Much better then Adams yet a 20 minute sub? I think Adams will start for a contender next year and he plays 30 mpg in wcf. So if he's far better then Adams he should be much more then a third big.

I think he'll be limited in his playing time because of his gung-ho style that leads to a lot of fouls, kinda like Sanders is. But he'll be an impact player. 10-15 range seems fine to me for a quality back up big.
nhasko
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#29 » by nhasko » Tue May 27, 2014 11:44 pm

KK Jolly Jadranska Banka 54, KK Cedevita 75

Pos Min FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A FIC FIC40 Off Def Reb Ast PF STL TO BLK PTS
Jusuf Nurkic C 17:00 6-12 0-0 3-7 8.4 19.7 4 2 6 0 3 1 0 0 15

These stats are impresive!
pohani komarac
Senior
And1: 150

Post#30 » by pohani komarac » Thu May 29, 2014 11:45 am

I was impressd with Nurkic long time ago, now when I saw him live I'm even more. He is like Baby Huey playing basketball. In head he is still clumsy naive kid, just with huge body and everyone he touches bounce from him :lol: he also provocated Cibona fans (I'm Cibona fan to) so he has mental toughness as well.

He still has long way to go to actually learn to play basketball
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#31 » by BadWolf » Thu May 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Is he a stash guy or do you think he'll transfer immediately?
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#32 » by Grits n Gravy » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm

BadWolf wrote:Is he a stash guy or do you think he'll transfer immediately?

He extended for 3 years only a month or two ago but I don't think anyone's sure if he has NBA outs written in. Looks like he'll miss at least next season and could be all 3 if there is indeed no NBA outs.
CroBullsFan
Freshman
And1: 5

Post#33 » by CroBullsFan » Thu May 29, 2014 2:20 pm

Even if he stays in this year's draft, he won't play in NBA next year. Next season his team Cedevita will play in Euroleague. I believe he has an option to opt out of his contract before his contract ends, but not after this season.

This guy is very talented on offense. I have watched him live a lot and I think he has a great potential on offense, even on NBA level. He is not one of those guys that are just big and on offense they are good just for layups. He has a really good touch around the basket.
Sorry for bad spelling.
ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Post#34 » by ManualRam » Thu May 29, 2014 2:39 pm

wasn't his euro contract handled by the same guy who did valanciunas' contract? if his is structured the same, he'll have a manageable buyout after a yr.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Bulk
Junior
And1: 30

Post#35 » by Bulk » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Croatian champion, 1st title ever for his team. 3-0 against Cibona (Saric).

Has someone seen the finals and give some input about his play? Couldn't even find boxscores from the matches.
Mirza Delibasic
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#36 » by Mirza Delibasic » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:31 pm

http://sportsport.ba/bh_kosarka/iz-cedevite-najavili-nurkic-bez-problema-moze-u-nba/134159

In this article sports director of Cedevita, his current club, says that there will be no problems if Jusuf wants to come to the NBA immediately. :)

Return to NBA Draft