Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,719

Re: Dante Exum. Biggest bust potential among top picks ? 

Post#21 » by basketballRob » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:37 pm

Biz Gilwalker wrote:
HeartBreakKid wrote:Honor goes to Aaron Gordon, by a significant amount.

Yup, picked fourth, will produce like he was picked fourteenth.

I'm noticing a trend. Every year the fourth picks ends up being a major reach.

2014: Gordon
2013: Zeller
2012: Waiters
2011: Thompson
2010: Johnson

Weird.

Who do you think The Magic should've took? Their wasn't enough footage on Exum and when he came here to workout he was horrible, according to a Magic employee on the radio the next day. Vonleh dropped to 9, Smart has personality flaws and I like Payton better as a PG. Payton has a great personality, not to mention he has a better handle, and can get to the paint anytime he wants. Gordon could guard PF's better than Randle and AG is a SF.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#22 » by basketballRob » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:41 pm

76ciology wrote:All I can say is this.. Two teams who are high on him, sixers and the Magic, passed up on him. And it's not like they have an issue that he is raw and would take some time to develop and all that.

You don't know if they were really high on him. Teams lie leading up to the draft.
bigboi
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,028

Post#23 » by bigboi » Tue Jul 1, 2014 12:00 am

Winglish wrote:
Is that really impressive? I think his speed is overrated, people act like he has a Westbrook like first step just because of that Hoop Summit

You're right. He tested a full tenth of a second slower than Westbrook. He also tested a tenth faster than Chris Paul, faster than Steph Curry, faster than Damian Lillard...Exum will be fine. 8-)

But CP3 and Curry aren't really regarded as fast, they're quick but their handle with the ball and their jumpshot makes them a threat. Exum doesn't have good ball handle so his speed with the ball isn't going to look as good as you think
tlee324 wrote:
Lebron made it to the finals with that cleveland team.

Bird would have won 4 rings with that team, in this weak ass era of basketball.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#24 » by Catchall » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:53 am

If Exum stays healthy, I think his floor is really pretty high. The fact that he's not a major leaper like Penny Hardaway or Kerry Kittles actually bodes well for him, given his body type.

My feeling is, if Tony Parker or Kevin Johnson were 6'6"... Exum is going to get in the paint, where he'll be able to dish (well) and finish (well). Plus he'll be able to raise over just about all the other PGs for an easy 15 - 18 footer. He'll get space because defenders will try to deny his drive.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#25 » by Catchall » Tue Jul 1, 2014 3:56 am

I think Aaron Gordon looks like a Shane Battier or MKG-caliber role player. The coordination and feel on offense just don't appear to be there at this stage. That's not a complete bust, mind you. Maybe he'll be like a Kawhi Leonard, so who knows... I just can't see why people pick apart Julius Randle and rave about Aaron Gordon. To me, Randle seems destined to be 2x or 3x as productive, scoring, rebounding and (especially) foul shooting.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#26 » by Winglish » Tue Jul 1, 2014 4:21 am

All I can say is this.. Two teams who are high on him, sixers and the Magic, passed up on him. And it's not like they have an issue that he is raw and would take some time to develop and all that.

All I can reply is this: Rich Sheubrooks has been running the Nike Hoops Summit for the past seventeen years. He also happens to be the international scout for the Utah Jazz. Sheubrooks extended Dante Exum the earliest invitation to the Summit that has ever been extended, over a year before Dante would appear in the actual game. Exum has been on the Jazz's radar since he was 16 years old. The Jazz, thanks to Sheubrooks, had more game and practice tape on Exum than any team in the league.

To be fair, the Jazz confirmed on draft night that they were prepared to take Aaron Gordon at #5 had the Magic taken Exum, so the draft board of the Magic and Jazz probably looked awfully similar. Jazz had Smart next on their board after Gordon.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,533

Post#27 » by Dr Positivity » Tue Jul 1, 2014 5:57 am

To me it seems likely the Magic not taking Exum is related to the Payton pick. Possibly they had Payton as BPA at 4 but knew they could get him later.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#28 » by Snotbubbles » Tue Jul 1, 2014 12:58 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:To me it seems likely the Magic not taking Exum is related to the Payton pick. Possibly they had Payton as BPA at 4 but knew they could get him later.

And the Sixers played them.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#29 » by Knighthonor » Wed Jul 2, 2014 1:09 am

slc24 wrote:His speed is underrated if anything. His first step is ridiculous and that will be apparent early in his career.

People act like he was drafted high based solely off of the Hoop Summit. Just because that's the only game most American fans have seen of him, doesn't mean that the NBA front offices haven't seen him a ton more times.

Link some videos man/lady
I want to see what the rest of you all saw in him. So I can judge for myself.
Knighthonor
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#30 » by Knighthonor » Wed Jul 2, 2014 1:21 am

Snotbubbles wrote:
Dr Positivity wrote:To me it seems likely the Magic not taking Exum is related to the Payton pick. Possibly they had Payton as BPA at 4 but knew they could get him later.

How so?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#31 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:13 am

Knighthonor wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

How so?

The Sixers have Orlando's 2017 draft pick (Saric for Payton)
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#32 » by Winglish » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:17 am

I'll jump in with a short and sweet video comparison:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJaK2988NGw
Marcus
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 5,172

Post#33 » by Marcus » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:39 am

Winglish wrote:

I'll jump in with a short and sweet video comparison:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJaK2988NGw

Trollin
Watch More Basketball

Sometimes silence is the best thing you can contribute to a conversation

after what he did to Moses Moody's name, I got DJ K. Perk in a Verzuz battle against ANYBODY
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,550

Post#34 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 2, 2014 6:36 am

basketballRob wrote:
76ciology wrote:All I can say is this.. Two teams who are high on him, sixers and the Magic, passed up on him. And it's not like they have an issue that he is raw and would take some time to develop and all that.

You don't know if they were really high on him. Teams lie leading up to the draft.

I heard Exum's workout with your team didn't went well. What's the scoop?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#35 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 2, 2014 6:42 am

76ciology wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Scott Anez who is the voice of the Magic and employed by them said he was told that his workout was "horrible". Teams lie leading up to the draft in hopes that a team in front of them will take a player they don't like.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 2, 2014 6:45 am

The 76ers were probably hoping that the Buck or Cavs took Exum too. So why not try to add to the hype.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#37 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 2, 2014 6:47 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Knighthonor wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

How so?

The Sixers have Orlando's 2017 draft pick (Saric for Payton)

Philly got their pick back that we got for the Dwight deal.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#38 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 2, 2014 6:48 am

basketballRob wrote:
76ciology wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Scott Anez who is the voice of the Magic and employed by them said he was told that his workout was "horrible". Teams lie leading up to the draft in hopes that a team in front of them will take a player they don't like.

Any truth that Dipo and Exum played one on one?

As for sixers, I don't know the sentiment on Exum. But the reports are the Sixers are high on Exum.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#39 » by basketballRob » Wed Jul 2, 2014 7:04 am

76ciology wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
76ciology wrote:

As for sixers, I don't know the sentiment on Exum. But the reports are the Sixers are high on Exum.

I didn't hear about Dipo and Exum. Only that the workout didn't go well.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#40 » by 76ciology » Wed Jul 2, 2014 7:06 am

basketballRob wrote:
76ciology wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

I didn't hear about Dipo and Exum. Only that the workout didn't go well.

Ok thanks.

Return to NBA Draft